New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Teen drama threats

so, a bit of a prefix, im running a game of supernatural teen drama, and I know my players well enough to know that PvP won't really be enough to fill the game, so im designing antagonists to divide and threaten them

I'm looking for threats/ menaces for my group, it consists of a fae (fickle, promise oriented fairy), a vampire (just what it says on the tin), a queen (the ambiguosly supernatural leader of the biggest, most popular gang/clique in school) , and an as-of-yet undecided fourth player (who I know well enough to know she almost certainly won't play the chosen (masochistic, darkness obsessed monster hunter) or mortal (codependant muggle who is in to deep), i kinda expect the infernal (Black magician with a demonic patron, who s/he is indebted to), ghoul( came back wrong), or witch (see vampire))

so far, i have one menace kinda set out, with two threats

The hunters (Abigail, Joseph, Christopher, and Monica)
    A group of students who have banded together under the tutelage of Mr. Silas to try to destroy the supernatural. (yeah, they've watched too much buffy)
    Craving: Notoriety (lash out and provoke reaction)
    Offering: Inclusion (show them what they’re missing)
    Capacity: Sudden Violence (outright kill someone they love)

Mr. Silas
    The schools world history teacher, who is moonlighting as a monster hunter, and has begun systematically hunting down the supernatural elements of the town
    Craving: Transcendence (enlist others to do unethical bidding)
    Offering: Support (save their skin at a vital moment) or Power (shower them with outlandish gifts)
    Capacity: Cold Betrayal (turn their friends against them)

are there any other good menaces to include, I thought that a group of monster hunters would make a good threat (historical footnote, they're actually a former group from a game of MotW, sans the summoned, as he didn't really fit) but I'm trying to think of threats specifically for the queen and fae.
    my AMAZINF avatar by ceika

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Flumph

Default Re: Teen drama threats

Am I right in thinking Silas is going to betray them as part of his own schemes?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Studoku View Post
    Am I right in thinking Silas is going to betray them as part of his own schemes?
    welll....

I don't know, it all depends on how the players interact with these threats. and if i get bored with them (After all, I'm supposed to Treat my NPC's like stolen cars)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stake A Vamp View Post
    I know my players well enough to know that PvP won't really be enough to fill the game, so im designing antagonists to divide and threaten them
    ... your game has PvP? And the antagonists are there to encourage PvP?

Is this Monsterhearts?
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-08-16 at 09:29 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    ... your game has PvP? And the antagonists are there to encourage PvP?

Is this Monsterhearts?
    how did you know? (besided the supernatural teen drama)

and yes, the antagonists purpose it to divide the PC's and turn them on eachother, not threaten and unify them.
    Last edited by Stake A Vamp; 2015-08-16 at 09:37 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

providing the obvious high school stereotypes:

Name: TBD
    Role: The school’s nurse
    Cravings: knowledge (wishes to experiment on the “interesting” subjects of the school to learn more about them)
    Offering: Healing and character power ups (is happy to give them healing potions (medication) and bandage up wounds… for a price)
    Capacity: switch old abilities out with new ones (as she experiments on her subjects, she learns how to alter and change them, manipulating their abilities)

role:Biff Tannen
    role: The school bully
    Craving: power over people (hassle and bully characters, take their lunch money, terrorize them, you get the idea)
    Offering: a minion (biff isn’t smart, and his aggression can be directed if one is charismatic or sneaky enough to point his wrath in the right direction).
    Capacity: powerful fighter (biff is a formidable fighter, able to wreck entire groups by himself.)

[edit:]
    typing comprehension.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2015-08-16 at 11:11 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting. Well, let's get all school structure up in here:

Name: Principal Martin
    Role: Principal, Headmaster, The Man
    Craving: Order, authority, obedience. Principal Martin wants a school with orderly, obedient students, clean hallways, and followed schedules.
    Offering: Status. Those who are on Principal Martin's good side enjoy flexibility in their class schedules, positions on student council or hallway patrol, and even access to free period options.
    Capacity: Status. Principal Martin can ruin a person's academic or social standing with a word. He controls suspensions, expulsions, and calling home to talk to your parents.

Alternative Option:
    Name: Principal Martin, aka Marutel
    Role: Principal, Demon
    Craving: Suffering. Marutel has created an environment perfectly conducive to the suffering and trauma of the weak and vulnerable. Everything he does will be in pursuit of that aim.
    Offering: Status. Those who assist Marutel are rewarded. He isn't above nepotism.
    Capacity: Emotional Torture. Marutel has a substantial capacity for causing strife, grief, humiliation and anguish, and employs it freely.

Name: Mrs. Kensington
    Role: Head of the PTA
    Craving: Respect, authority. Mrs. Kensington is not a happy woman, and vents her frustrations by attempting to control the school faculty and student body. She quickly takes a fondness to anyone who shows her the deference to which she feels entitled.
    Offering: Influence. The PTA is able to Get Things Done in school, due to Mrs. Kensington's influence over faculty decisions.
    Capacity: Diversion. Although not powerful in her own right, the PTA's involvement can derail almost any plan.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Mr. Silas sounds like a more competent version of the teacher from American Dragon: Jake Long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    "Just because the DM lets you break the game, doesn't mean the game is broken."
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    "My Patron is Steven Spielberg"
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    For some reason this feels really fitting; I got a mental image of a bunch of psions setting up a LAN party.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ralanr View Post
    Mr. Silas sounds like a more competent version of the teacher from American Dragon: Jake Long.
    never saw that, a bit after my time. could i get a brief description (if it seems relevant and helpful)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

On a different note, if you're worried about having enough people for your PCs to bounce off of to create conflict, make sure you do the seating chart (as per p. 136) at the start of your first session. If you ask good leading questions, the players will create their own NPC conflicts, which allows you to plan a little less and may even give you some ideas about what kind of stuff they're interested in for the game.
    Contest Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ayesha: Gold, Junkyard Wars I
    The Last Warder: Silver, Junkyard Wars IV
    Princess Pufflebutt: Silver, Junkyard Wars VII
    Gren Beastclaws: Silver, Junkyard Wars VIII
    Mother Halfbreed: Silver, Iron Chef Home Cooking I

Vathoa Frostspeaker Kualavoaka: Gold, Junkyard Wars IX
    Sanna Blackfish: Bronze, Villainous Competition II
    Annabelle: Gold, Villainous Competition IV
    Nulara of the Evil Eye: Gold, Villainous Competition IX

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stake A Vamp View Post
    never saw that, a bit after my time. could i get a brief description (if it seems relevant and helpful)
    It probably isn't. It's just a teacher who knew about the mythological happenings of the world and was obsessed with proving it. Only for his incompetence to make him a mockery among the scientific community.

Thus he's forced to teach public highschool mythology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    "Just because the DM lets you break the game, doesn't mean the game is broken."
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    "My Patron is Steven Spielberg"
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    For some reason this feels really fitting; I got a mental image of a bunch of psions setting up a LAN party.