New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1166
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Ale, Fortune and Math

His attempt to splash the water into her face succeeds, but his lunge goes wide. She steps back to try and wipe the water from her eyes.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Mat is entitled to a AOO.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack of Opportunity (1d20)[17]

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat's follow-through is barely a scratch, but he aims strategically. The tip of his rapier moves to slice at Sumina's hip, attempting to sever her belt and provide her with an interesting dilemma. Hold up her pants or fight half-naked?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Damage (1d6+1)[2]

4. - Top - End - #1024

MonkGuy

As the blades slices against her hip, the belt snaps. Her clothes not ill fitting, but not tight, her drawers begin to sag.

She finishes wiping the water from her face. Her hips showing she looks Mat right in the eyes, "Cunning. Like what you see?" As soon as she's finished, she begins whipping the blade in the hands so quickly, Mat can barely follow. As she whips it quickly towards Mat's face, a boom of thunder crashes against the raging seas.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Sumina attempts to Demoralize Mat: (1d20)[4]

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat lets his blade cross Sumina's. "I do, though one can barely appreciate art by looking at it through a keyhole."

When the thunder booms, Mat smirks. "The four winds agree! Let's give them a better look."

Mat whips his rapier at Sumina's shoulder, looking to open a flap in her blouse.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack (1d20)[20]

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Confirming the Crit: (1d20)[4]

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception Check: (1d20+8)[14]

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat's rapier finds its target and he draws it along Sumina's blouse, opening the front as best he can while trying to concentrate the actual wound to a small point on her shoulder.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Damage:(1d6+1)[3]

9. - Top - End - #1029

MonkGuy

A flash of lighting brightens the deck of The Daryl, as Mat's attack strikes true against her side, cutting and revealing a section of her upper thigh and hip.

Spoiler: Mat's Perception
    Show
    Mat see's a stretch of a scar in the flash of lightning on Sumina's lower stomach and upper thigh. Mat, having dealt with people who provide these types of lashings, knows these are whip scars, consistent with people who are enslaved.

Seeing Mat's face staring at her, she recoils, and lunges forward fiercely.

Spoiler: Sumina's Attack
    Show
    Sumina's take a full round action to make a Targeted strike against Mat's arm, holding the rapier.

Attack: (1d20)[19]

10. - Top - End - #1030

MonkGuy

Spoiler: Confirmation and Damage
    Show
    Crit confirmation: (1d20)[19]

Damage: (1d6+2)[5]

11. - Top - End - #1031

MonkGuy

As the blade pierces the same artery that Sumina hit before, Mat is forced the drop the blade in his hands. It clangs against the deck as the rain begins pouring heavier. Sumina takes a step back, still holding her blade up, and says in a familiar determination to Mat's, "So?"

Spoiler: Damage
    Show
    Mat takes 8 damage.
    Last edited by Leomor; 2020-11-12 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Adding Damage

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat winces through the pain of the second artery strike and laughs despite himself, tossing his soaking hair out of his eyes.

"You should know better than most, my lady. Just because I know I'm going to lose, doesn't mean I'm going to stop fighting."

Grabbing his sword with pain and effort, Mat stands tall. He will not be broken like this. Not today. His eyes flash amber defiance through the storm.

"I will not concede this fight. I know you can kill me. Easily. Even now, you're like a cat playing with a mouse. But I won't go down without biting back."

Mat lunges.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack (1d20)[13]

13. - Top - End - #1033

MonkGuy

Mat feels the blade in the hand feel more at ease, thinking less about it as a piece of equipment, but now an extension of his arm. Much like a wand, he whips his arm forward and leans into the strike from a distance, slashes through Sumina's torso.

Spoiler: Result
    Show
    Mat has gain proficiency with Rapier, and has gained the Weapon Focus (Rapier) Feat.

Mat may roll damage.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Damage (1d6+1)[2]

15. - Top - End - #1035

MonkGuy

She smiles, "Good. Let's see what your really made of." She steps forward and puts her blade between Mat's legs, and twisted the blade sharply to the right, attempting to sweep his leg.

Spoiler: Trip Attempt
    Show
    Sumina's Trip attempt, does not provoke AOO- (1d20)[5]

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat lifts his foot like a dance and thrusts yet again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack (1d20+5)[23]

17. - Top - End - #1037

MonkGuy

A perfectly formed thrust aimed at Sumina, she attempts to use the base of her blade to parry the attack.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    Sumina's Parry (1d20)[8]

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat twists the blade, sliding past the parry.

Spoiler
    Show
    Damage (1d6+1)[4]

19. - Top - End - #1039

MonkGuy

Mat's blade slices across Sumina's forearm, as the rain speckles the blood that seeps from her wound. She backs off a few feet after Mat's attacks, calculating her next move. Mat see's as her eyes dart each way, but then close. She takes a deep breath and exhales in the heavy rain.

"I yield."

She pulls out a cloth bandage from her sagging belt loop and begins rolling up the fresh wound on her arm. "You learned a lot Mat. Your a good student, creative, focused, and willing to learn. Yet you have what many students don't; drive. That will be a dangerous thing in this world. I hope you use what you have learned her to make the world a better place than you leave it. Consider your final exam passed."

She walks towards Mat and puts a hand on his shoulder, "Keep the blade. It was my starting blade from a few years ago. Made out of a blend of silver that was paid to me, and I swore to never spend." She pauses, "I think it's time I let it go."

The rain cuts through the silence as Sumina's scar is brighten by the flash of thunder. She smiles gently and pulls up her belt loop and smiles, as she punches Mat softly in the arm.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat smiles broadly even as he winces through the pain of the punch to a severed artery. Looking to Rudral through the driving rain, Mat nods to Sumina.

"Rudral, would you kindly tend to my lady's wounds? I'll survive until she's healed."

Looking to Sumina, Mat nods in genuine thanks. "You are an incredible teacher, my lady. I thank you for your kind gift, and will make sure this blade is put to adamant purpose." He sheaths the sword in his belt, patting the hilt gratefully.

21. - Top - End - #1041

MonkGuy

Sumina declines Rudral's help, but thanks him for his caring nature. As Mat calls out for the name of the blade, Sumina begins walking to the Aft the Daryl and says, "Chain Breaker."

The rain continues to pour throughout the day, and the next few days as the turbulent seas make for a difficult ride. However, Mat's steady hands and use of magic make his study and crafting slightly easier, and warm tea is served to Vikeer to quell her aching stomach for much of the trip.

Spoiler: The voyage
    Show
    Mat may lay out his plans for studying and crafting on the ship for the next 4 days.
    Any fantastic wand making requires a roll and you may not take 10 on.
    Working through the night (8 hours of no sleep) will also require items crafted the next day to be rolled on, instead of taking 10 or 20.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

After receiving some healing from Rudral, Mat takes Sumina aside to ask for her assistance. "My lady, there is something more I would ask of you. I need someone of elvish blood to help me in my works. Perhaps, would you be available to assist me? We could work over dinner if your duties preclude you from helping during the day. I might even be able to manage a glass or two of wine while we work." Mat looks to Rudral, who nods sagely.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+2)[13]
    Rudral aides DC 10 (1d20+6)[8]

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

After securing Sumina's help, Mat thinks through his plans for the day.

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, here are my thoughts for day 1. More to come later. Mat's going to start by crafting Gloves of Elvenkind with Sumina's help. With accelerated crafting and the subsequent increased DC, this should be possible in 14 hours taking 10 on the Spellcraft check. I want to spend all day today doing that, culminating in an evening putting the finishing touches on it with Sumina. And then maybe a glass or two of wine will lead to a Romance check... That leaves me a two hour window to "play" and still get my 8 hours in.

Day 1 Crafting

Gloves of Elvenkind
    Slot: Hands
    Cost to Create: 3,500gp
    Spellcraft DC to Create: 23 (5 + CL (8) + Missing Comp (5) + Accel Crafting (5))
    Spellcraft Modifier: +15 (13 + arcane family workbook (2))
    Aura: moderate transmutation
    Caster Level: 8
    Time to Make (hrs): 14 (28/2)
    Requirements: Combat Casting, creator must be an elf
    Missing Components: 1

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Knw Romance: (1d20+6)[20]

25. - Top - End - #1045

MonkGuy

Sumina doesn't seem interested in the reasoning that Rudral seems to provide, but accepts Mats request to help build his gloves. Through some intricate enchanting and Sumina's eyes for a tightly fitted garment, the pair is able to pull off creating a strong, well fitting glove for Mat.

Putting the charm on, Sumina stops Mat in his tracks. "You're incredible handsome, charming, and smart, Mathwin Lora. But you are not what I am looking for, interested in, or going to entertain. I'm flattered and won't take offense, but I prefer to be on my own...right now. I'm sure you understand."

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat nods, "I understand, my lady. You honor me with truth. Please let me offer my sincerest apologies for any unwanted advances I have made toward you in the past weeks. Now, would you care for any more wine?" Mathwin enjoys dinner with Sumina as a colleague and friend, nothing more.

The next day, wearing his newly woven gloves, Mat works to increase his magical breadth of knowledge before going to work on his tough but supple leather jacket with a golden needle.

Spoiler
    Show
    First thing, Mat is going to learn three spells from scrolls (taking 10 on Spellcraft) and write them into his Bound Book. The entire process should take 1.75 hrs and cost 27.5gp.
    Ghost Sound (DC 15, 2.5gp, 15 mins)
    Silent Image (DC 16, 5gp, 30mins)
    Pyrotechnics (DC 17, 20gp, 1hr)

Next, Mat begins the laborious but worthwhile endeavour of weaving magic into his jacket to turn it into a Jacket of the Charlatan (as Cope). Even with an accelerated crafting increase, the Spellcraft DC to make this item is a measly DC13. The cost to create is 2400gp and the time to create is 9.6hrs.

That puts my full day's crafting at 11.35 hrs, or about 11 hrs 20ish minutes. Can't make more than one item a day, or else I'd use the rest of the time to make a scroll or two. But, I will use the remaining time to study with Vikeer and Rudral, going over the finer points of Taldan etiquette and culture.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat dons his spellwrought jacket and tests it. Summoning even a tiny amount of his power causes the jacket to illuminate with the hidden amber runes lining its hems. The runes swirl about his wrists distractingly as he gathers magic in his palm. When Mathwin conjures a small magic missile, he's able to distract from the typical casting and cause the regularly fist-sized globule of amber force to manifest as a miniature viper, writhing and curling in the air. Letting the spell dissipate harmlessly with a chuckle, Mat pours power into the jacket, causing all the runes to glow brighter and brighter until he releases the aether in a blinding flash of light. Both Rudral and Vikeer blink away the afterimages uncomfortably. "Sorry 'bout that," Mat apologizes. Nodding, satisfied, Mat sits and begins quizzing Rudral and Vikeer on noble forms of address.

The next day dawns, and Mat awakens with a cup of strong tea and a newly emblazoned jacket. Today he will be working on the strongest and most challenging piece of his regalia to date. A piece that will enhance both his already prodigious intellect as well as his charm. He opens his bound book and begins studying. Then, once satisfied with his preparation, Mat begins weaving golden wire into a circlets form.

Spoiler
    Show
    Learning a spell from a scroll, taking 10:
    Eagle's Splendor, DC 17, 20gp, 1hr

Then, I'm going to spend the entire day making a Headband of Mental Prowess +2. Big item. Expensive. And it'll take time.
    Time: 20 hrs
    Cost: 5000gp
    Spcrft DC: 22

Mat's going to build the item to grant ranks in Diplomacy.

The whole thing is going to take 21 hours, leaving a precious 3 hours of sleep. Mat's going to have Rudral brew him a cup of Khave in the morning to shake the fatigue. I know this means I'll need to roll to create anything the following day.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Fort Save: (1d20+4)[6]

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat wakes after precious few hours of sleep to a candle flame too bright and a ship too loud. He asks Rudral to brew him a cup of the Kelesh Coffee he bought before leaving Katheer.

"Are you certain, sir? You did have such trouble with it bef-"

"Yes, Rudral. Brew the damned pot."

Rudral bows respectfully before retreating to the mess to attend to his master's request.

Mat looks at his workbench. On the table, a golden circlet lays as a testament to yesterday's hard work. Each thread of gold is worked into a complex braid, creating a thin but strong diadem with a polished amber at the center. The whole thing is thin and small enough to rest comfortably beneath Mathwin's hat, but powerful enough to imbue the wearer with the intellect and charm needed for the days and weeks ahead.

Mat walks over to the circlet and picks it up, examining it. The golden wires have been engraved to resemble vipers coiling around and over each other. Clever work, if I do say so myself, Mat thinks. He places the circlet upon his head, adjusting the fit, and closes his eyes. The wave of intelligence and force of personality hits him in the gut before retreating to a comfortable hum in the back of his mind.

Rudral appears a short time later with a steaming cup of coffee, brown sugar, and half a lime. Mathwin takes a lump of the sugar, thanks his manservant, and sits at his bench. After a few sips, Mat feel much better! He eagerly begins working on his next task. His final task for this trip before arriving upon the shores of his blessed homeland.

Mat pats his belt pouch, feeling a single tooth in an otherwise vacated leather satchel. The Spartoloi were effective. They saved my life more than once. But, they're costly, obvious, and nonrenewable. I need a more subtle solution . . .

Mat uses his magic to levitate a hunk of ebony wood purchased in Katheer. He turns it, as if on a lathe, and uses his magic to gouge out the shape of a bottle.

A little more than halfway through the project, Mat's hands begin to shake. He command Rudral to brew him another cup of the Kelesh Coffee, despite the older man's protests. He needs steady fingers for this delicate task.

Rudral sits nearby and begins his own work, adding reagents and unguents to a teapot stewing steadily over a cooking stove.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright. Last day. Addicted to Kelesh Coffee. LET'S DO THIS!

Mat's going to spend 14 hours and 3500gp to carve himself a Bottle of Shadows. Spellcraft DC 20. Easily succeeded by taking 10.

Mat takes an additional 1 Wis damage when he has his second cup of coffee, but it'll stave off the exhaustion and keep me from taking Con damage for now.

Rudral is going to use his Brew Potion feat! He's brewing a potion of Lesser Restoration, which'll take 2 hours and 150gp worth of materials. He doesn't need to make a spellcraft check for potions the way Mat does for Wondrous Items. Once complete, he's going to give the potion to Mat. It won't cure his addiction, but it should help with the ability damage and take the edge off his exhaustion.
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2020-11-25 at 01:24 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Lesso Resto heals Mat of (1d4)[1] Wis dmg and reduces his fatigue/exhaustion.