Default Re: Ale, Fortune and Math

Spoiler: Allissia's Psychometry
    Show
    Allissia's Psychometry: (1d20+7)[20]

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat breathes easier as he hears Shae's council. He had hoped she'd say something similar.

Mat instead turns his attention to his sister and her working. "That's incredible, Liss! I had no idea you'd progressed so far! How long will it take?"

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Not long". Allissia's eyes close and she speaks what she is seeing, "I see Blackwoods... I feel the swords heat, it's pointed towards something.. or someone. It's owner feels nervous, not as used to bearing the sword...wait, the grip is gone...almost like a vine was wrapped around the hilt and pulled it free." She pauses for a moment. "It's take a long time to hit the ground, traveling very far. Wait, there's a clang against dirt, it's finally fallen." More silence from Allissia. "Dust is beginning to settle in this dark place, then a large unruly hand is picking this up. Strong but unworthy. I'm being tucked away unsheathed. The sword is angry, and it's being used without knowing it's potential. Wait, I see your face Mat, holding it after releasing it."

Her eyes open, somewhat shocked. "Wow, this sword certainly has a story. What do you make of it?"

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat puzzles for a moment before speaking.

"First: That was amazing. You need to teach me how to do that. Second: Blackwoods only grow in the Verduran, so we have a starting location. Next: We have a likely point where the conflict occurred. Just outside town there's a stand of Sandwood trees. Devilishly rare. The only other grove I've heard of it in the Tapur Mines in Quadira. Where I showed you my confrontation with the slavers. There once existed a portal between the two trees bound to the souls of lover dryads. One, Ferrox of the Verduran, still lives."

Mat's eyes widen for a moment as her remembers. He pulls a slip of paper from his pack.

"When I was in the mines, I took this blade from the hands of one of the slave drivers. He must have taken it from the dead dryad's den. There was also this, noting a slave trade where Qadiran miners were buying Taldan slaves."

Mat breathes. "And finally, I know of one senator who was working with the parties involved: Dalton Corrin. He was there at the Imperial Ball. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend. BUT, I know a certain ward of the Temple of Calistria who did. Vikeer. The woman whip-dancer from my vision."

5. - Top - End - #1145

MonkGuy

After a rather insightful dinner, Allissia suggests that Mat should provide his testimony to the Senate in Cassomir. Mat advises he would think about it. Attempting to pay for dinner, the Empusa provides the check to Mat, advising the letters have been delivered, and her job is done. Mat celebrates with a good nights sleep.

The next day, Mat has a wand fitting session with Lord Lortei that goes quite well, enjoying each others company. Grand plans in his mind, Mat envisions something truly amazing for this commission. Mat gathers supplies, as a letter arrives for him from his Shadow Guild associate, "The Innkeeper" stating the payment has been made to him. Mat's smile could rival the light from First Dawn.

Beginning his most ambitious project yet, the math only understood to him; Mat attempts to create a gem out of compressed air. An incredibly dangerous process, Mat creates something he has never read about, and quite frankly didn't know was possible. His success leads to him focusing on finishing this wand, and enhancing his craft.

The night before the senate hearing, Mat meets with Allissia who pleads for him to testify. Mat does so, under the conditions that she step in when he does not want to elaborate. Meeting early the next morning with the Senate at the Admiralty Citadel, Mat is brought into the chambers with members of the senate, the Pontifex of Aroden, as well as Brother Zaganos and brother Noctis.

After the Pontifex of Aroden gives a brief prayer, Senator Dalton Corrin begins to discuss the this Senate is not like the one in Oppara. "Much like Aroden, we are the emissaries of a new age." He mentions issues with lord Gixx of Abolsom and protests against him, and that they would be holding a Pathfinder Society luncheon to honor venture captains and learn more information about goings on. Brother Zaganos speaks to issues with the Vuduran forest, that the Treaty has bene upheld for hundreds of years, and it would continue to do so. Senator Corrin calls Mat to speak.

Mat shows the Lion blade and slave records to the senate, who seems to understand that there may be a plot, while it might not be clear. As Senator Corrin thanks Mat for speaking, the morning light finally hits to whole chambers, and large vines made of blackwood begins to explode from its pots and begin attacking. Some of the senators fall, and during the combat, a bout between Senator Corrin and Brother Zaganos is heard, Corrin calling Zaganos a traitor. Mat takes this opportunity to attack and destroy Brother Zaganos. Brother Noctis is held back, while the final vines are destoryed. Senator Abonas, Senator Rhineville, and Pontifex Humprhey lay on the ground dead, with scraps accross their body and cold gray stares on thier faces.

Allissia runs to Senator Corrin, concerned of the treaty, seemingly happening the next day. Senator Corrin looks to Allissia and says in a confident but worried tone, "Don't we will help your Father." As the realization that apparently Yarrin Lora was chosen to go to the Treaty of the Wildwood, as Taldor's representation. Mat is standing in the cathedral contemplating his next steps.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat breathes heavily, walking over to his sister. "Are you alright?" He holsters First Dawn and holds out his hand to collect his Staff.

Turning to Senator Corrin, Mat similarly asks, "And you, Senator? I saw you Brother Zagnosa in some kind of magical altercation. Are you hurt? I can send for my personal physician. He's not far."

Looking to the body of the druid and his captured guardsman, Mat muses aloud. "We need to question them. Both of them if possible. How quickly can we get a Pharasmin here? Hopefully they'll also be able to revive our fallen legislators as well."

Then Mat snaps back to his sister, "Father? Our father is representing Taldor at the Wildwood Treaty? H-how? Why? He's a silk merchant, not an ambassador!"

7. - Top - End - #1147

MonkGuy

After the attack on the Senate of Cassomir, Mat made sure his sister Allissia was alright, then began to try and understand what just happened. Allissia, able to speak now that Senator Corrin broke the vow to not reveal who was the ambassador for Taldor, advise that indeed Mat's father, Yarrin Lora was sent as the emissary for Taldor. Mat pleaded to send ships, but Senator Corrin could not without declaring war on the Wildwood lodge, and requested more time to figure out what happened. He did not condone, but would not stop Mat from going alone.

Mat asked a cleric of Pharasma to ask question of the dead Brother Zaganos. He asked:

Why did you attack Senator Corrin?
    "I did not."

Does the Wildwood Lodge plan to honor the treaty?
    "Yes"

Did you order the attack?
    "No"

Are the fey planning to attack the treaty?
    "Assassin vines do as assassin vines do" (Siting he is not sure, but seems doubtful)

Why did you bring Daryl?
    "For protection."

Confused by some of these answers, Mat grabbed his new clothes and some items with the help of Rudral, and summoned a ship from his own magic, naming her "The Vesper." Mat, Allissia, Rudral, and Jacqueline headed up the Sullen River. It was not a good time. Mat was able to complete his new wand, but the ship almost did not make it to the Isle of Arenway in time. Finding the Talden River Guard and the Wildwood lodge, the group spilt, with Allissia and Mat headed west towards the lodge.

With an hour left before the sunrises and the treaty us underway, Mat and Allissia sail towards the Wildwood Lodge, and find the too familiar ship of The Daryl docked at its harbor.

8. - Top - End - #1148

MonkGuy

Heart beating, Mat and Allissia entered the Wildwood Lodge to meet a Firbolg named Sister Torna. Mat pleaded with her and the druids to point them in the direction of the forest where the Treaty would take place. After easier than expected negotiations, she pointed them to the center of the Isle, stating that the Will of the World stated something bad would happen with the Treaty. Mat and Allissia flew forward on Mat's carpet.

Heading towards the center of the Isle, a large eagle landed on his carpet and demanded than he land his carpet immediately. Deciding to listen he landed, only to be met with a group of Rangers, Druid, and his once "Blood Brother" Daryl. Daryl and the druids demanded to know what Mat and Allissia were doing there and after careful negotiations, Daryl convinced the rangers and druids to let them towards where the treaty was, and that their goals were aligned.

As they walked to the center of the Isle, Daryl explained that he was hired from the Druids of the Wildwood because the Will of the World noted something with the treaty would go wrong. He worked closely with Brother Zaganos, and promised him he would do everything in his power to make sure the treaty was upheld.

Mat approached the Standing Stones of the Circle Between, sweat dripping from his brow in stress. After examining every aspect of the 3 guards that protected Virrin Fallwatcher, of the main druids of the Wildwood Lodge, he also scoped out the guards for his father, Yarrin Lora, laying eyes upon he man for the first time in a decade. Mat, wand ready, waiting for any sign that the Treaty was in danger, let an exhausted breath of air out as the treaty was upheld by both parties. Mat and Allissia said goodbye, as each team continued to watch over their respected party.

Mat flew ahead of his father and met him on the beach in front of his father's ship. After his father greeted Allissia with confused eyes, Mat spoke his first words to his father in years; only to be met with disapproval. Both as stubborn as the day they last saw each other, Mat pleaded for an ounce of respect and acknowledgement, while the father pushed his shoulder as he walked past Mat. Yarrin's body went flying as the Alabaster Caplet activated, as the weapon Mat was crafted to be began to shine. Yarrin smiled, seeing Mat's potential, and offered a hug. Mat refused, and walk away in tears.

Allissia followed and tried to join the rift between her brother and father. They noticed as a ship approached with Rudral and Jacqueline, hands waving in the air, as Mat's fathers ship exploded in a fiery display.

Sorting through the wreckage, 2 of the guards were found, as was Mats unconscious father. Mat could feel the aura of alchemical and arcane influence, similar to the Everspark wood found in Jalmeray. Ships form the Wildwood Lodge approached as Daryl offered any help, which Mat would not have. Threating Daryl with every ounce of his being, Mat demanded Daryl explain himself, and how the Everspark wood made it onto his fathers ship. Daryl pleaded with Mat, saying it was taken days ago and that he had nothing to do with this plot. Daryl tried to convince Mat that this must be the Lumber Consortiums plan to disrupt the economy and gain more power in the Inner Sea. But Mat wanted revenge, demanding to know where to find this Lumber Consortium. Daryl provided the name of Rodolfo, a fence in Abolsom where this journey began. The wizard left Daryl to care for his father, sailing back to Cassomir.

The trip was filled with silence, and when arriving back in the city, Mat brought his father to the temple of Callistria. The clerics attempted to awaken Yarrin, but to no avail. One cleric noticed a sense of Necromancy around Yarrin, that was closely connected to an incredibly faint aura around Mathwin. Mat remembered the wizard, Victor, that he met and shared drinks with a few nights before he was knocked out in a duel by his old friend Vox Riderfall. Victor was seemingly not able to be raised, and now apparently, Vox is charged with his murder.

Mat contemplates his next moves as he stares at his cursed hands. The only connection he's had to strong for of necromancy was the gemstone which he sold to....Rodolfo. Mat tries to fight his way back to his ship to leave immediately, as Clarissa convinces him to sleep.

Mat awakens the next morning after tossing and turning all night, to the sound of thunder and strong rain. Not wasting anytime, he prepares himself, and checks a mainly blank paper, and surprised to find it less blank.

9. - Top - End - #1149

MonkGuy

Mat's duel the next day brings a small amount of joy into his life. Meeting with Lord Lortei, Mat hands off Skyward Promise and utterly demolishes the 2 other duelists. A lovely meal ensues with the Lord, speaking of potentials for Mat crafting wands and him selling them in Mats name. The two put any defintie plans on hold for now. Mat is told that security in the Coremount Academy has been increased after Philip found on the the items that Mat had left off. Another small victory for now.

Heading home from the Duel, he decides to stop on his way out towards Dresvir, having dropped off the letter to him almost more than a week earlier. Having Shae enter the estate to find Dresvir's dead body, Mat hurries to return to the Temple of Calistria.

Saying good bye to Clarissa and Allissia, Mat leaves his father in their, and one nunchuck wielding cleric, capable hands. He procures a crew and heads off to ships off to Absolom. His journey is mostly uneventful, as Mat crafts for himself and Shae. He is successful in all his crafts, as nothing is quite as difficult as his previous attempts.

Half way through his trip, he stops to think about his plans to head right to Absolom, and instead redirects to Escadar. Constantly worries about the possibilities that may find him in Absolom, Mat sequesters himself in his cabin for a brief moment. Speaking quietly to Shae, Mat asks, "Oh my Shae. I am rudderless. I need guidance from The Unquenchable Fire. Please, contact her and ask my questions."

Mat then waits while Shae reaches out to Elysium, to her Lady.

[Mat is asking Shae to use her 1/week Commune spell-like ability. (6 questions, CL 12th)]

1) Am I on a path that pleases the Lady in the Room?

Spoiler: Answer 1
    Show
    Yes Mathwin. (There is a slight linger as your name is spoken)

2) Does Redalfo still possess the cursed gem?

Spoiler: Answer 2
    Show
    No.

3) (If no) Is the cursed gem still in Absalom?

Spoiler: Answer 3
    Show
    Yes.

4) Should, and can, I break the curse upon me before continuing my quest for vengeance against Darryl, the Lumber Consortium, and Senator Dalton Corrin?

Spoiler: Answer 4
    Show
    They are one in the same.

5) Should I slay these sailors to keep my secrets?

Spoiler: Answer 5
    Show
    The have not wronged you.

6) Should, and can, I slay Redalfo?

Spoiler: Answer 6
    Show
    You can. The choice is yours.

6a) (if {2} is yes) If I perish while affected by this curse, will I dine with my Lady forevermore? (asking if I will be similarly unable to be resurrected if I die)

Spoiler: Answer 7
    Show
    Silence, as previous questions were answered.

Shae finishes and speaks to Mat softly. "My Lady spoke your name well....as if versed to doing so....while it seems your track impresses her, it appears you may also be marked by others in her name as well. You are making waves in this world. But she will guide you along this path. She always advises patience and level headedness. We will deal with anything crosses your path sire."

The Vesper begins to move towards Escadar, the crew asks if the ship is to dock.

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mathwin thinks hard on his answers from the Lady in the Room. They set his path. They set his mind. He sets his jaw.

"Thank you, Shae. I have my answers. When we arrive at our location, I may ask for additional guidance from the Savored Sting. For now, we work."

Mat doffs his hat and jacket and rolls up his sleeves. "Rudral, tea. Lots of tea . . . if you please."

Producing a small, amber gemstone, Mat carves. And carves. And carves. After several hours and several cups of Rudral's tea, he sets down his tools and begins to rub his eyes. It's been eight hours. Just to get the rough shape! Adjusting his spectacles, he holds out his hand. "Shae, my love, please come here and assume your natural form. I need to read your undiluted aura for this next part." Shae shifts out of her raven form and into that of the golden wasp before alighting on her master's arm. Using a minor levitation to hold the gemstone in front of him, Mat's eyes flare and he reads the ebbs and flows of magic around his companion as he continues to carve the smallest of sigildry into the stone.

"Why do you need my auras for this?" Shae buzzes in his mind.

"Because this is for you, my love." Mat answers without taking his eyes from his work.

"For me?" Shae almost seems surprised.

"Yes, love. Over the next few days I'll craft a great many things for you. You are my companion. And I need you wreathed in my magic and protected with my skill if we are to defeat this curse and return to my quest for vengeance."

That seems to mollify her for the time being. Mat continues his work.

Mat feels a gentle touch on his shoulder, just light enough to not throw off his . . . wait. He's not holding his tools anymore. They're on the deck. And Shae is no longer on his arm. Mat turns to see Rudral with Shae on his shoulder. "My lord. You fell asleep. Shae and I think it would be wise for you to rest and resume your work in the morning. You've been burning the furnace very hot for several days."

Mat nods. "Yes, thank you Rudral." Mat doesn't even remember walking to his bed before falling asleep fully clothed.

The next day, after an absolutely massive breakfast and a full pot of Taldan black, Mat puts the finishing touches on his first and most challenging creation planned for this trip. A small amber diadem, barely the size of a ring. It fits perfectly over the antennae of Shae's insectile head. Stepping back, Mat nods. "It took some doing, love, but there it is. You can naturally change your form, so I had to carve in the glyphs for all your natural forms as well. But, I think I got them all. Now, you should be able to assume the guise of a humanoid indefinitely. And it's no illusion. This will be a transmutation. You will have all the fingers and features of a red-blooded, honest to gods -"

Shae shimmers and grows like a heat mirage. In the blink of an eye a gorgeous and stark naked elvish woman with red hair and amber eyes stands before Mathwin.

"-woman." Mat finishes, clearing his throat. "Yes, clothes. Clothes are next. Illusions make clothes. Transmutations don't. But you needn't always take the form of a woman. Or even of the same species. You can assume a great many faces with this gem." Mat sees that the gem has taken the form of a simple hairpin in the otherwise unadorned woman's hair. "Rudral, would you kindly wrap her in one of my dressing gowns, please? My love, I must eat a quick meal, but will return shortly to fashion you a proper gown."

Mat, true to his word, eats a quick lunch before returning to his craft. Weaving a simple spell of cloth and silvered thread, Mat attaches two embroidered sleeves to the dressing gown. Instantly, they spread their magic over the plain garment, causing it to weave itself into the shape of a stately gown, flowing and golden.

"There we are," Mat says, satisfied. "This will allow you to change your garment into any that you wish. It will give you day wear, evening wear, clerical vestments. Whatever you wish."

Shae admires the magical garment before walking to Mathwin's side. "A fine addition. You have given me two very useful gifts."

"And I have a third," Mat begins. "But I shan't be able to complete it tonight. Only start." Mat measures a length of black silk ribbon around his familiar's neck before turning back to his workbench. This time, he turns in before falling asleep at the beach.

The next day Mat puts a quick finish to the last item in Shae's regalia. "This collar," he explains as he ties the red gemstone choker around her neck "will protect you from deadly harm. When you would otherwise be slain, one of these gems will shatter and instead the damage will be directed to me. My blood for yours. It'll only work a limited number of times, so try not to find a use for it at all. But, I'd rather you not fall for me. You're too valuable." Mat ties the knot of the choker with a final air of quiet affection.

"Now, your gifts are done. And I need you to make use of your talents immediately."

Mat turns to Rudral, always nearby and waiting. "My friend. I need you to provide us insurance for the trip. This crew is an unknown variable, and according to my lady, they have given me no reason to harm them . . . yet. But, should they betray me, my vow requires me to repay that slight tenfold. I cannot repay the slight if I cannot find these men. So, I need you to perform examinations of the crew as their doctor. Obtain blood samples from all. A simple smear on paper should do, no need to be ghoulish. Tell them it's to check for rickets or mites or some other such drivel. Shae, use your skills in persuasion to help him convince them and alleviate any of their fears or misgivings. Use your new face. The blood samples will provide me the necessary components to track these men should I need to. I will sweeten their pockets with gold before they leave us in Escadar. Yes, I mean to leave them in Escadar rather than Absalom. Harder to track if we port there first. Let me know if anyone gives you trouble."

Mat turns back to his workbench and doffs his hat and vest. The hat, which he enchanted himself, works fine for fooling the common man. But Absalom is not full of common men. Paltry illusions will not suffice. Likewise, his vest has served well to stop errant spells and toxins, but requires upgrading. He sets to work adding lines of amber runes to both.

Two days pass. Two harrowing days of intense spellwork where Mat adds amber gemstones to his own hat’s crown to match Shae’s diadem. Likewise, he adds coiling, snakelike runes to his vest to increase its potency. Over those two days, Shae (now adopting her elven form at all times unless requested to change) has remained a close companion to both Mat and Rudral, helping both with their duties. Mat notices Rudral brewing several items on the table nearby and questions the aging alchemist about them. “I thought it would be a good use of my time to assist in the preparations, my lord. I hope you don’t mind, but you did give me leave to purchase reagents for this purpose.”

“Absolutely! I’m glad that you’re taking the initiative. Can I help?”

“Yes, actually, when you have a moment. Some of these potions can be imbued with your own magics. They would be a compliment to my own and may give you some needed versatility in the battles ahead.”

“Of course. I’d be happy to.”

After helping his Valet with a couple spells, Mat returns to his own work. The gloves that Sumina helped him craft. They are still as supple and subtly enchanted as the day Mat made them. But now they need more. Mat’s been cursing people with a touch, gloved or not. That means that these gloves, for all their power, do not prevent the transmission of his malady. That also means that anyone Mat would need to touch for the purposes of fighting would be similarly accursed. That will not do. Mat once more turns to magically imbued amber thread and begins weaving a pattern of serpents along the back of the hand and fingers of the gloves. After a full, long day of work, they are finished. Testing the upgraded gloves, Mat manifests a glowing amber hand and sends it spiraling around the room. “Perfect”.

For his final day before they reach Escadar, Mat takes off his spectacles. They, although simple, have served him well since he found them in one of his very first adventures, serving to magnify and highlight details he might have otherwise missed. But now, they need to be made his own. Mat weaves a minor spell into the lenses, but one that he finds himself in constant need of. When he’s done, he dons his new glasses. They look much the same as they did before when examined in a mirror, so Mat calls over Rudral who seems to be putting the finishing touches on a potion of his own. “Rudral, would you kindly try these on?” The servant obliges, and his eyes instantly shift color to the vibrant amber of both Mat’s and Shae’s. “There it is!” Mat calls triumphantly. “That’s the sign I was looking for. Thank you, Rudral.”

“You’re very welcome, my lord.”

Mat finishes his crafting even as the lookout calls for the port of Escadar.

. . .

“Now, I know you lads have worked hard this past week to get us here safe and sound. I appreciate that. And I know you all sailed for the price of a Taldan gold crown. Now that we’re here, I want to wish you all the very best of luck in Escadar, for here we end our partnership. For the inconvenience of you all needing to find another ship, I am paying each of you five additional Taldan crowns.”

Mat waits for the reactions to settle before continuing.

“Additionally, and perhaps most importantly, I wish to move on from here with complete discretion. For your complete silence about me, my servants, and this ship, you all will each get an additional five crowns. You all never saw me. Never heard of me. Never heard of this ship. I am happy to pay for that assurance. Should any of you betray my confidence and besmirch my payment, know that I am a devout follower of Calistria. And that I have the means and the terrible will to find you and collect my kindness.” Mat smiles while saying the last part, and lets Shae’s unearthly gaze serve as punctuation.

After all the crew are packed and ready to go, eleven gold marks jingling in each purse, Mat sends them to Escadar in one of Vesper's lifeboats. Then, Mat asks Shae to resume the form of a Raven before he and Rudral load themselves onto the carpet. Mat takes off and dismisses Vesper back into her figurine form. Then, like a stormcloud, he speeds south toward Absalom.

Well outside the view of the city walls, Mathwin lands and rolls the carpet. “Alright, my friends. According to the correspondence of my landlady, I’m a wanted man in this city. What’s more, we’re going to very likely encounter illusion piercing magic. That’s why I have created our matching greater disguises, Shae. You shall enter the city in your Elven form. Rudral, you are her Valet. I shall take the form of her familiar. I should be able to use our bond to keep talking through you, my love. Our goal is to get to the Coins and my landlady’s establishment with all haste. From there, once I have determined its safety, I can shift into a more permanent disguise and we can gather additional information before hitting Redalfo’s in force. Any questions?”

Spoiler
    Show
    All told, Mat spends 80 hours and 18700gp on crafting to make the following items: Gloves of Bony Power (added to my existing Gloves of Elvenkind), Greater Hat of Disguise, Bloodstone Collar, Vest of Resistance (+2) (upgrading my current +1 vest), Greater Hat of Disguise (upgrading my current Hat of Disguise), Mathwin's Amber Spectacles (adding a custom constant Eyes of the Augur enchantment to my +2 perception specs), Sleeves of Many Garments.

Rudral spends 32 hours and 2200gp to brew the following potions: Lesser Restoration (2), Cat's Grace, Invisibility, Fly, Keep Watch (2), Water Breathing, Ghoul Touch (2), Cure Moderate Wounds (2).

He also spends 12.75 hrs and 198.36gp to craft the following alchemical items: Rhinarium paste, Light fire ink, Alchemist's fire (2), Liquid ice, Portable hive, Waspguts.

Mat spends 88gp on paying the crew and bribing them for their secrecy.

This all adds up to Mat spending 21,186.36 gp on the trip. Over half of his entire net worth.

When the team gets to Absalom, Mat is going to use Beast Shape I to turn into a Harpy Eagle and pose as Shae’s familiar. After making it into the city proper, she and Rudral will use the carpet to make a beeline for The Wandering Wastrel. Mat will recast the spell as needed to maintain the disguise for longer if he has to.

11. - Top - End - #1151

MonkGuy

The sailors, all agreeing to Mat's proposal, leave The Vesper as Mat, Rudral, and Shae nod their heads in agreement to their captain's plan. A short few days later, the group arrives at the gates of The City at the Center of the World, Absolom. Mat's new glasses aren’t rose tinted, as he worries for his safety in the city. Donning a disguise as Shae's familiar, the group begins floating through the city streets.

The city is more quiet than normal, and throughout some of the street corners, Mat hears heralds speaking against the city, stating that is had let its citizens down, with taxes higher than any other city, and leadership that doesn't care about its people. Some even go as far to state the Lord Gyr of House Gixx should be forced out. Asking around, Mat learns that labor costs are rising in the city, mainly because there are no slaves to be bought, and the current ones gone missing.

Returning to his home of the Wandering Wastrel, Mat is overjoyed to see Bill, safe and well taken care of. A brief but joyous reunion with his LandLady Mistress Oparra and Hilardo leads to many hugs and Mat to smile. Yet behind that smile is the understanding that each of these people have been cursed. And while many of them might not have the coin to be raised, traveling with this curse on him will not do. He gathers information about the city and heads to his room, where he finds a box that reeks of death.

Carefully opening the box, Mat eyes sharply focus on the severed head of the boy from Qadira, Robin, inside of it. Confused, Mat examines it further to find a small engraving of the symbol for "glass", exactly as the symbol that Mat has on him from the Shadow Guild. He ponders this further in anger, and decides that it would be a good time to take that frustration out on Redalfo.

Entering Redalfo's, Mat is able to clear the shop of potential customers and demands to speak with Redalfo. Redalfo eventually appears, frustrated at Mat's insistence. The two throw quips at each other and both their frustrations grow. Mat convinces Redalfo that he has been cursed as well, and Redalfo decides to help Mat out by telling him that the gem was bought by a Sorcerer named Lilith. Mat remembers this necromancer fighting during the duel. He says that she just outbid him for the last slaves that came into the city in the past few weeks, and he would love to see her taken out. Redalfo points him towards the sewers near the docks.

Mat decides to check out the sewers, but then heads back to the Wandering Wastrel. Instead of checking it on foot, Mat projects a shadow form of himself to check out the sewers. He is careful to not slip into Shadow Absolom, and finds that there are only mundane barriers protecting the sewers. Mat returns to his body and plans for the rest of the night.

Awaking early, Mat heads to the sewers in search of Lilith and the gem. After carefully entering, Mat is bombarded against Giant Zombie Ants, who are seemingly eats collections of dead slaves. Mat makes quick work of them, and is able to avoid a few very dangerous traps imbedded into the sewers. Moving through a few doors, eventually Mat finds Lilith poking their head out of a door. Mat uses a quick force spike to hold their ethereal body in place, and interrogates them. Mat learns that they gave the Onyx to The Innkeeper, and apparently he is very upset with Mat for someone reason. Mat ponders why and Lilith is able to escape. Summoning some strong zombies a full-out battle, Mat is able to burn a hole through Lilith's head and defeat their zombies.

Investigating their lair, Mat finds schematics on the gem that contains the curse, known apparently as "Rovogug's Onyx". He learns there is indeed a curse that blocks the soul from properly moving through planes after death, trapping them in Limbo, provides an increase in necromantic power, and should be able to be destroyed with normal artifact-destroying properties. Mat curiously think's if his First Dawn wand would be a good choice, since it is made with the cloth of a Serenrae priest….more research will be required.

He also finds a letter in the same type of ink he's used with Mistress Oparra.

Spoiler: Lilith's Letter
    Show
    "Dated 3 days ago

Greeting Heralds, I received your notice the Emissary is arriving soon. I am back in the city.

Managed to snag the last shipment with the crowns you provided. They've been turned to Pharasma's neglected and are positioned throughout the city, with the gem's help, ready for the next move.

The gem's been returned to the Earthbound Evil, as promised. Afterwards, I still request to study it further. It could prove very useful to my studies.

The head was delivered to the wizard, as the Lion requested. I shall advise you immediately if I see him. A word of caution; his craft may be of use, but his pride will make him troublesome. Do not underestimate him.

This stinkhole is ready for the arrival. Let's bring down this cauldron of arrogance."

Mat puts together that these "Heralds" have been buying and placing slaves throughout the city using the gem. He also thinks that the "crowns" are specifically Talden, as that is their common name throughout the Inner sea. He ponders on the "Earthbound Evil", and thinks the rest of the letter refers to himself. "They are right not to **** with me." He also assumes that there is some plan against Absolom: which doesn't spell good news against anyone.

Somewhat hurt, Mat returns on foot to the Wandering Wastrel in disguise. However, he is meant by a group of men, headed by The Innkeeper, who greets Mat with a pleasant tone. He asks the wizard about how his assignment to deliver the letters went, to which Mat deflects. The Innkeeper presses into Mat about the job, and pulls out the 5 letters that Mat delivered, curious why 3 of them were seemingly opened before they were delivered, strictly against what Mat was told.

As the Innkeeper asks him what he would do to a business partner if they were to go against them, Mat smirks and calmly states, "My life is my path, and none will sway me from it. I devote myself to the pursuit of my passions. I take what I desire, by trick or by force. If others resent my actions, they may attempt to take vengeance against me. All slights against me will be repaid tenfold. I am the instrument of my own justice. If I am wronged, I will take vengeance with my own hands."

As he recites these words, The Innkeeper flips a Talden crown towards Mat, who flicks it away. Something in Mat's mind knowns that this coin has had Mat's magic in it before….his Mnoimic Siphon. He remembers this one contained a Disguise Self spell, and looking towards one of the thugs behind The Innkeeper, he spots an illusion. As it fades away, Philip Coremount stands, with an recovering burn wound on his arm and leg. Mat knowns right away that Philip was the one who attacked his father.

Giving no ground to The Innkeeper, Mat presses for information about the Heralds and their purpose. Mat catches a small glimpse of cat eyes that shine in The Innkeepers eyes as he realizes that there is more connection between the Shadow Guild, these heralds, and Taldor…possibly even the Lumber Consortium. Mat continues to scoff as the Innkeeper gives him the option to complete another job with them, and a fight breaks out. The Innkeeper reveals himself as a Rhakshasa as his thugs attack Mat, Rudral, and Shae. They fight is quick and Rudral is the first to fall, trying to escape. Mat stares at Philip who streaks a bolt of lightning his way knocking him strong in the chest. As his eyes roll, he hears The Innkeeper's voice say, "Don't worry Mat, we still have use for you…" as he falls unconscious, unsure what has happened to Shae.

He awakes cold, with none of his belongings in a barely lighted cell. He tries to reach out to Shae, but there is something blocking any connection to the arcane he usually has. He looks around and spots a familiar candle sitting on a table about 30ish feet away. "An Antimagic candle…" Mat looks around as his hands and feet are manacled, yet still able to walk and move around. He looks and sees two people in the prison in cells, one he cannot make the face of yet, but the other is a friend he has not seen in 2 months, Vox Riderfall: Mat's friend, currently set to be executed for the supposed death of Victor at the dueling grounds, which Mat know by proxy he caused, although knows he is not responsible, as he is trying to fix this mess.

----------------

Vox stares into the wall of his cell and says, "So, looks like they finally caught you. It's all the main one would talk about…." His tone is unempathetic and cold. "Part of me wondered if you would come to my aid in the trial. When they told me you declined I was mad, but it didn't really sting until I heard you were the one who caused this whole mess in the first place. You're a right prick, you know that?" He stutters a laugh and coughs loudly, clearly not doing well.

----------------

Mat looks around his cell. There is a wooden bed, wooden table, a simple cloth, a few small pebbles, some cobwebs, and dirt. The cell is made from some sort of iron. Looking around in other cells, there are random debris and items in all of the other cells, but currently just out of reach of Mat.

He hears shuffling of what is probably a guard down the corridor, but can't see anything right now.

-----------------

The other person a few cells down slowly shuffles covered in a blanket. A masculine voice and slowly creaks out, "So another wandmaker is taken. I hope that I would be all they needed…."

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Leomor View Post
    Vox stares into the wall of his cell and says, "So, looks like they finally caught you. It's all the main one would talk about…." His tone is unempathetic and cold. "Part of me wondered if you would come to my aid in the trial. When they told me you declined I was mad, but it didn't really sting until I heard you were the one who caused this whole mess in the first place. You're a right prick, you know that?" He stutters a laugh and coughs loudly, clearly not doing well.
    "Vox, I -" Mat starts to apologize before abruptly stopping himself. He's frustrated. He's hurt. And he's MAD. All that bleeds into his tone as he explores every nook and cranny of his cell. He examines every object in his reach. All the while, he speaks, "I. Didn't. Know. I didn't know that this curse existed until eight days ago. And when I found out, I jumped directly on a ship back her to fix this mess. I didn't know that the curse had affected you until that moment. And guess what, back when I heard that you were on trial I thought one of two things had happened. Either . . .

A) You were guilty of somehow breaking the rules of a spell duel and managing to kill a powerful wizard in magical combat, in which case I didn't want to get on the wrong side of you. Or . . .

B) You were innocent, and Victor died in a tragic accident. In which case, truth-revealing magic would quickly reveal your innocence. Because no sane magister would send a man to the gallows without employing Zones of Truth!

I knew that neither verdict would be remotely affected by my presence in the slightest. And, now that I know about this curse and the surrounding conspiracy, I am fairly confident the call to bring me back was orchestrated by the very creature who threw me in here tonight! Which would have only resulted in me being thrown in this cell weeks earlier!"
    Mat takes a moment to breathe while examining the chair and table, looking to see how easily he might be able to break off a leg without making too much noise.

"I'm sympathetic that you're in here, Vox, I really am. But I'm not going to sit here and wait to die while pouring out my heart in contrition for something I didn't do voluntarily or consciously. You know what's required for a betrayal? INTENT! Could I have intentionally betrayed you? Of course. It's a skill I've become quite adept at. But did I? No. We can argue till dawn about the philosophy of "fault", but even if this is my doing, it's not my fault. And it's certainly not a betrayal."

Mat removes his own shirt, laying it on the ground and bunching it in a very specific accordion fashion.

"I don't know what that Rakshasa bastard has done to you, Vox, but I can't believe you, a Graduate Student of the Arcanamirium would just sit here waiting to die. Not the duelist I know. No matter how cursed you are. No matter how sorry you feel for yourself. We need to fight. I bloody well will."

Quote Originally Posted by Leomor View Post
    "So another wandmaker is taken. I hope that I would be all they needed…."
    Mat stops moving when he hears the voice. Straining in the darkness to make out the shape, Mat makes a literal and figurative shot in the dark. "Jimmithy? Is that you?"
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2021-09-24 at 06:53 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1153

MonkGuy

Vox mostly remains silent as Mat speaks, stifling small passive aggressive grunts at some of Mat’s remarks. As Mat begins to lay out his mindset, Vox’s barely audible remarks cease. The cells remain quiet for a few minutes as Mat searches around the cell.

The bed and table both have shoddily made frames, assembled by a 2 year old Mat’s assumes by the stability of it. Breaking it won’t be hard, but loud cracks may carry throughout the hallways.
    Looking around in other cells, there is a few small pebbles of coal and a chipped bowl with moldy oats. A few feet out of his reach, he sees a gangly femur bone, some skin still attached in an adjacent empty.

After a few silent minutes, that same weak voice whispers through to Mat. “They submitted me to their truth magics. Jeremia Plumendod, a member of the high council cast it herself… and lied to say that I resisted it somehow. She stated my magicks were far sinister and a threat to Absolom. You might be right about the ploy to nab you…. They’ve talked about you a lot in the past week, especially the young one. Right bloody prick he seems.”

----------------------------

The shaped covered in blankets leans over and Mat can barely see a dirty face of Jimmithy, without his iconic glasses, hair dirtied and skin pale. “The one and only…” A strong cough echoes throughout the cells. “I’ve heard rumors about you over these past few weeks, from Qadira to Taldor about this new and upcoming wandsmith. When I heard it was you, I was shocked. But competition is good for business I guess…If I’ll ever be able to do business again.” Out from the blankets you see as two stumps lay where hands should be on Jimmithy’s arms. “Seems this curse won’t let limbs regrow either, so here’s to the whole world going to ****e….”

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Jeremia Plumendod, have I heard that name before?" Mat thinks back to his time in Absalom. "She's obviously in on whatever is happening here. They're trying to use something called "Rovagug's Onyx" in the city. They've been buying and killing slaves throughout the city for some villainous purpose. They're trying to bring down Absalom."

Mat looks to the flimsy furniture's legs and begins to slowly and methodically bend them back and forth, trying to pry or snap the nails without shattering the wood and making noise that may alert the guard. While working, he keeps talking.

"The young one's a noble from Cassomir. Son of the famous Corsair, Coremount. He got all bent out of shape when I bested him in a duel. Didn't expect this reaction, though. Seems a bit much. What've they been saying about me? All good things I'm sure."

. . .

Seeing Jimmithy's hands Mat recoils in visible horror. "Gods above, Jimm! What'd they do to you?!" Mat walks slowly closer to the man with pity in his eyes. "I started building wands, yes. Wands of terrible power. But don't worry. I'm not trying to move in on your market. My wands are custom pieces. Bespoke. Catering to the frivolous and wealthy." Mat finally looks up into Jimmithy's eyes. "I'm so sorry, Jimm. When we get out of here and kill this motherless dogs, I'll help you, I swear it. You were good to me. You deserve hands again. And by either regrowth or magic, I'll give you hands again."

Mat moves back to his work with the table leg. "Do you know why they captured us wandmakers instead of killing us? Before we fought, they offered me clemency if I built a wand for them. Why would they need a wand? They have the gem they need to spread their curse."
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2021-09-26 at 11:17 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Knw Local: (1d20+11)[12]

16. - Top - End - #1156

MonkGuy

Jimithy explains to Mat that he was the builder of the Twin Keys of Absolom, 2 wands that onet holds the defenses of the city, the other the offenses. He tells Mat that they were held by the 1st and 2nd Spell Lord of Absolom, but when Jimithy was taken, the 2nd spell lord fell, as did her key. The 1st one, held by Lord Gyr, was thrown into a portal by the Spell Lord before he fell. Jimithy expects that the Heralds intend to make Mat rebuild the 2nd.

Mat wastes no time trying to escape from his cell. Using his shirt and his own urine, he uses basic physics to bends the bars of his cell and escape. Then freeing Jimithy and Vox, he grabs a oddly placed Rapier from a pile of bones, take the Lamp of Anti Magic field (being the only source of light) and begins to make his way through the prison.

Defeating 2 guards, Mat smells manure and **** around the area. Exploring further he finds his valet, Rudral, wounded, but alive. He is able to use a handaxe he found to unhinge the cell and pull it down. While getting Rudral prepared to travel, Jimithy advises that there is Ancient Orsiriani written in blood on the walls. Mat examines it and sees the same symbols that were on the letter he was to deliver. Mat writes the rest of the symbols in blood as Jimithy translates.

Spoiler: The Hieroglyphs
    Show
    Death to the gift
    Blind the gods
    Death is pure sacrifice
    Let all fail the test
    Heralds are superior

Discussing with the group, he believes that it refers to the test of the Starstone, and that the Heralds may be trying to destroy the Starstone Cathedral. The zombies from before and in this prison seems to be filled with manure and fertilizer, most likely going to be used to blow up the cathedral.

The Magus and Sorcerer come to check in on Mat, and they break out into a fight. During the fight, the rapier in mat's hand explodes in golden light as Mat's sense of revenge and determination exhalts the power within. the rapier turns to Yellowjacket, a weapon of Calistria. Mat swiftly uses it to make easy pickings of the 2 that put him in here. They take all their belongings.

Spoiler: Loot from encounter
    Show
    Loot from encounter:
    9 pp, 105 gp, 173 sp, 672 cp
    [1,155 gp] +1 padded armor
    +1 Flame Scimitar
    [1,000 gp] bracers of armor (+1)
    [3,000 gp] miser's mask
    [50 gp] potion/oil of hide from undead (CL 1)
    [50 gp] potion/oil of magic weapon (CL 1)
    [25 gp] potion/oil of stabilize (CL 1)
    [4,500 gp] wand of hold person (CL 3)
    (10,000] Ring of Wizardry 1
    [150 gp] arcane scroll of bear's endurance (CL 3)

Examining the rest of the area, Mat finds catapults and an exit to the sewers, which h thinks will be used to bomb the Cathedral. He also finds all of his belongings, with the exception of the Caplet, Hat of disguise, Agni, and First Dawn. In his spellbook, in ink scratched into the first page, mat reads, "If you're reading this, see you soon."

The group exits the prison and comes out of the basement of The Homeroom, empty in the Absolom morning. They find a notices advising of someone going to take the test of the Starstone, and for all to watch, while appear to happening tonight. Mat reaches out the Shae, who he can feel is determined to find. As the group exits the Homeroom, they plan their next steps....

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mathwin hastily checks the surrounding streets for anyone who might be keeping watch of the Homeroom before turning to Jimithy. "We're in the Homeroom. It's only a few blocks from your shop Jim. We need armament and sanctuary. Can you provide that for us?"

Turning to Vox. "You're a condemned man. Unjustly, but still condemned. Here, wear this kerchief to hide your face until we can fashion you a proper disguise. Once we can plead your case . . ." That reminds Mat of something. "Jeremia Plumendod. She's a Herald, or at least working with them. Where is she holed up? And, perhaps more importantly, do you think I have any chance against her? If she's a league above, it makes little sense to throw myself into the fire, but if she can be defeated, she may provide important information on tonight. And we desperately need it. We have eight hours until the Starstone itself is attacked. We know where the catapults should be located and what they'll be hurling, but we still have no way to stop them. The Rakshasa is still out there with my two most powerful wands. That little fop, Phillip, is also still loose, likely wearing my Greater Hat of Disguise and Alabaster Caplet. Potent items, both. We need to know more. We need a plan. to save the Starstone and the people who will be at this event."

Mat feels determination tug at his soul. Shae. She's alive. He audibly sighs in relief. He tries to channel his own emotions to alert her of his presence. "Northwest. I'm here, and I'm pissed." He holds Yellowjacket tightly, an actual relic of his Deity, hoping that its diving provenance will help draw Shae closer.
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2021-10-25 at 07:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1158

MonkGuy

Jimithy nods and agrees with Mat, as he begins to lead the way towards his shop. Speaking in hushed tones along the morning streets, Vox hastily takes the kerchief and puts it around his face before thank Mat. The connection to Shae becomes warmer as Mat is walking through the streets, hoping that she will arrive soon.

The group is able to make it to Jimithy's Wands fairly quick. As they approach cautiously, Jimithy points to the door, noticing that one of the hinges is broken. "This can't be good." The group carefully enters the shop, prepared for any trouble that might jump out. The shop is almost completely torn up with papers, broken desks, a few shattered wands, and glass broken along the floor. "Of course this would happen..." Jimithy mutters under his breath. "Let me see if they got everything, I have some things locked away..." Jimithy requests the help of Mat and Vox to magically unlock a few seals that Jimithy had abjured. "We all have our secrets, right? Maybe some of this could be useful. I stowed some things away just in case I needed to run in a hurry. guess I should have thought to be more mobile than keep it here..."

After securing the door, Vox walks over to Mat regarding his comments about Jeremia Plumendod. "Aye, she does sounds like she's one of these "Heralds". I always heard about her as a very savvy business women and prolific Arborist. I think she's on the Lower council of Absolom... I guess someone got power hungry..." He looks out the windows, checking on the outside, then pulls his spellbook out from a jacket. "You're right we need a plan, and I need to rest. I won't be of any use to this until I do. I'm going to need every minute to do so. So, where do we start? What do we focus on first?"

As Mat is planning with Jimithy and Vox, about 30 mins Mat feels a pulsing and buzzing in his heart. Flying through the window in her wasp form, then with a snap shifting into her humanoid form, Shae bursts in the room and quickly begins checking over Mat. "Love, you are safe! I never stopped looking for you, but our bond was broken. I fled the scene at once for a chance to fight again, after they started taking you away. I checked at the Wastrel afterwards, no one was there. We will make them pay...but I sense you have already began this work." She peers towards Yellowjacket and looks Mat in the eyes, softly saying, "This is a blessing."

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat holds back tears when Shae comes through the window. "Shae, my Love. Thank the gods!"

When Shae shifts into her Elf form, Mat embraces her tightly. "I was worried they got you, Love. I'm so glad they didn't. Vox, Jimmithy, this is Shae. My familiar. Shae, Jimmithy is a wandwright and has been gravely wronged by the Innkeeper and his ilk. Vox is a colleague and friend. And . . . he has whispered my name to the Lady. Hopefully, when this is done and the curse lifted, he'll feel vindicated. If not, he may yet seek his vengeance against me. I will accept that fate if he does."

Mat nods to Vox. There's no anger in his words. Vox deserves his vengeance. If that thirst isn't quenched by defeating the Innkeeper, Mat will meet him in the arena and give the man his satisfaction.

Mat nods down to Yellowjacket. "I agree. Let's hope I'm worthy of the honor. I plan to use it to carve the heart from the Rakshasa's chest, so we'll see."

Drawing a dagger from his belt, Mat moves to Rudral. "Friend, I need your surgeon's hands." Handing Rudral the knife, Mat moves to sit on a chair. Drawing the bottle of Chelish Red from his pack, Mat downs half the bottle in a few seconds. Then, moving his hair to the side, he reveals his Shadow Guild mark. "Cut it off. He's been using it to track me."

While Rudral works, Mat contemplates Vox and Jimmithy's role in this. "We need to prepARE. Vox - ah - use the Amulet here to CUT down on the variety of spells you nEED to prepare. Share your sPELLbook with me. HERE is mine. It's hard to read for others, so AGH - ask me for help if you need. We should prepare synerGISTically, if we can."

Mat then looks to Jimmithy. "Thank you for your sanctuary and your cache. You'll be compensated when this is through. And I can help you with your shop. For now, we need plans. We know where the catapults are, but we need a sewer plan to see where the zombies would be positioned around the temple. Can you manage that?"

20. - Top - End - #1160

MonkGuy

The group seems shocked at Shae's arrival, but heed Mat's words. Both Vox and Jimithy nod heads towards her. She looks towards all in this room as says in hushed tones, "Her presence in this room is strong. We will not let this go unresponded. How can I serve this purpose?"

----

Jimithy nods to Mat as his request, and leaves his shop. He returns about an hour later with a small map of the the area around the Starstone Cathedral. "It's not perfect, obviously we don't know anything about the cathedral itself, and the map does appear to be about 3 years old. So there may be new structures in place, but nothing we wouldn't be able to handle. He and Vox spread the map along a table, and Vox adds a few arcane marks on the map where they believe the catapults are.

----

Rudral begins carefully cutting into Mat at his request, removing the Mark of the Shadow guild from his body. The pain is agonizing and Rudral does what he can. He takes the better part of an hour to finish without cutting into any nerves. Patching the wound, Mat is able to finish prepping for spells with Vox.

Spoiler: Timeline
    Show
    Timeline:

30 mins to travel and set up in the shop
    45 mins to remove Mat's mark/get the map
    20 mins to prepare spells

6 1/2 hours remain until dusk

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat nods at the plans provided by Jimmithy. "These'll do perfectly. Thank you, Jimm.”

“Shae. We need more recent intel on these locations, elsewise we won't know how long each of these'll take to clear, to say nothing about the catapults . . ."
    Mat makes a mental note. "Shae, take the form of a wasp and scout these locations. Stay airborne if possible, but you may find the rat form useful if the way is shut or underwater. Do NOT engage in combat. I trust you to be smart. Stay hidden. If you encounter resistance, flee and move to the next location. We need to know the strength and location of the enemy's forces and any nasty surprises they may have waiting for us. Rudral, hand Shae one of your potions of Invisibility. My love, wait to take this until you're close to maximize its duration. Be swift and silent. You carry vengeance on your wings." As Shae departs, Mat squeezes the hilt of Yellowjacket and says a silent prayer for her safe and swift return.

Mat turns to Jimmithy. "My friend, I need you once more. We're close to the Arcanamirium. The School of Magic at the Center of the World. We should use that to our advantage.”

“First, I need scrolls. As many as you can give me. Evocations will be the most helpful, but protective spells too. Mage Armor and Shield, enough for everyone. False Life. Mass damage spells like Flaming Sphere, Scorching Ray, and Fireball. We need to clear lots of Zombies quickly. Transmutations too. Fey Form I is my favorite, but I’ll take Beast Form II in a pinch. And if you’re feeling like you’re able, battlefield control spells for you to utilize during our confrontation with the Rakshasa. Pit Spells, Wall Spells, Black Tentacles. Scrolls you can employ without making yourself a target. These scrolls may not be cheap. I want you to buy them nonetheless. I will provide you with my writ and seal for the Temple of Abadar. Rudral will accompany you and return with the scrolls while you move on to the next task.”

“Second, I need you to hire contractors. Absalom has an infection, and we need it to defend itself, at least a little, if it's to survive. Muster whomever you think is willing and able to serve as Absalom's own immunity." Mat begins to pen a flier and stops himself. Letting his eyes flare to life he conjures a mage hand to pen a second, and a third, and a fourth. Mat pens five identical fliers while speaking, working as fast as he dares. "I do not have much time, but I do have coin. I intend to use one's abundance to make up for the dearth of the other. Use these fliers bearing my seal to hire and send out hirelings to the locations of the catapults marked . . . here."
    Mat drips a small amount of wax onto the finished fliers and affixes a seal upon them with his signet ring bearing the Lora crest. "Rudral, the Lover's Breath." Mat uses the entire bottle of perfume to spray Jimmithy. "This should help a little with the convincing. Now go, but be sure to be back well before dusk. Hire or entreat as many as will hear the call, but do not stay too long. We'll still need you for the battle ahead." Mat hands over the fliers to Jimm and pats him on the back. “Rudral, return with the scrolls as quickly as possible. I will need them to clear the sewers with Shae long before the final confrontation at dusk.”

Spoiler
    Show
    Mat's Flier:

!!!GOLD FOR SPELLS!!!
    250 GOLD FOR A HALF HOUR OF WORK

Absalom is under attack by terrorists! They intend to attack the Temple of the Starstone at dusk today! They have positioned catapults at the following locations (see map below). I will pay handsomely for their destruction. 250 gold measures per destroyed catapult (proof of destruction required at time of payment). You are encouraged to destroy as many as you are able. 1000 gold bonus if proof of destruction for all 5 is presented! This payment is assured by the Temple of Abadar under the Lora account. We need you to save this city. Will you defend her heart in her time of greatest need?

Mathwin Lora, Champion Duelist and Master of House Lora

*A simple but descriptive map of the Temple of the Starstone's surrounding streets with the catapult locations marked is at the bottom of the flier*

Mat looks to the sole remaining teammate in the room: Vox. Mat opens his friend’s spellbook. “These spells, here, are the ones you should prepare. They aren’t the flashiest, but they’ll do the job. I intend for you to be my eyes for much of this fight. You will be a secondary combatant only. The goal is for you to buff the group, get into an elevated position, and call the shots. See here,” Mat begins to lay out the spells Vox should prepare and the situations where they should be used to greatest effect. “We’re going to have myself and Shae down in the thick of it. You and Jimmithy should be upon rooftops, providing intel, battlefield control, and covering fire as needed. Stay low and hidden as much as possible. If I need you down there, I’ll call for you. Rudral will be riding my carpet and providing air support and healing. He should stay at altitude as much as possible and ensure that he maintains an erratic flight pattern to avoid easy targeting. Call his targets to him. Have him use his Waspguts and Portable Hive on Phillip to prevent his spellcasting. Have him use his Syringe Wasps to inject myself and Shae with healing. And, when targets of opportunity present themselves, have him drop bombs and tanglefoot bags. We need to work together to win. We can’t underestimate them like I did before.”

“Prior to engaging in battle, everyone should gird themselves in Mage Armor and Shield spells. Additionally, we should utilize the following buffs and strategies to bolster our chances of success.”

Cantrips -

“This is going to be your most important spell during the battle. Keep a constant line of communication with both myself and Shae as well as Rudral and Jimm. Let us know where the enemy is and what they’re doing. Coordinate attacks. I anticipate there being more people than we’d ideally prefer in the way of the enemy. And there’s always a surprise. AND they’ll likely be using my hat and invisibility to disguise themselves. Keep us all in constant communication. Be the brain. Be a Wizard.”

Disrupt Undead
    “The goal is to keep you out of combat unless necessary, but if you do encounter any of those zombies, this should help.”

Mage Hand
    “Rudral will provide you with some basic alchemy should you need it. Use this if you want to drop them with some precision.”

Pointer
    “A neat little spell that should allow you to mark my targets for me, no matter their current form or visibility.”

1st Level -

Protection from Evil (x4)
    “This should be cast on Yourself, Shae, Rudral, and Me prior to battle. It may give us the edge we need to ward off some of the worst attacks. Jimmithy, while important, is strictly a non-combatant and shouldn’t need this. If he’s seriously engaged, he’s to flee.”

True Strike
    “I anticipate needing to use Yellowjacket to strike the heart out of that Rakshasa at some point. I’ll request this prior to the attack.”

2nd Level -

Fox’s Cunning
    “Cast this upon yourself prior to battle. We’ll need your most powerful spell to be harder to resist. I have a hat that accomplishes this to a lesser degree. You are currently without any intelligence boosting items.”

See Invisibility (x2)
    “Cast this upon yourself and me prior to battle. Phillip seems to have a penchant for lurking unseen. We’ll need this to negate that advantage.”

Resist Energy
    “I request that you cast this upon me, protecting me from fire, specifically. I anticipate that we’ll need to handle someone using Agni, the Everspark wand that I crafted. It’s a wand that casts fireballs of unrivaled potency. If hit with its blast, I’d rather not be incinerated immediately.”

3rd Level -

Arcane Sight
    “You should cast this as we are setting up our enfilade and keep it active throughout the battle. Use it to see the Transmutation magic of my Greater Hat of Disguise, the Evocation of my Alabaster Caplet, and the Necromancy of the accursed Gem. This spell, if you know what you’re looking for, should give you a reliable way to pierce through most veils and disguises. Additionally, use it and a Message to see if our enemies are setting up any spells that I might be able to counter.”

Dispel Magic
    “If we are unable to trigger the Alabaster Caplet via other means, this will be a good way for you to send a targeted dispel to our enemies. I can call it out in the heat of battle or you can choose a target of opportunity. Use it well, as we don’t have many chances.”

Protection from Energy
    “Cast this upon me to inure me to that Rakshasa’s blasted lightning. I hope to eat at least two to three of his lightning bolts with this before he realizes that they’re ineffective.”

4th Level -

Trade Items
    “This may be our ace in the hole. Here, take these,” Mat hands Vox the Everspark wand blank and the remaining spool of gold wire he used to craft First Dawn. “These should provide excellent conduits for this spell. They’re literally the same materials I used to build the wands. When you see one of the wands being used, you cast this and try to get it. Then, you use it to rain holy hell down on the enemy. Agni is the aforementioned Everspark wand of Fireball. Use it carefully, because it’ll eat through my fire resistance quick if you hit me. First Dawn is a golden wand of Sunglobe. It’s a scalpel and can be used surgically to excise these cancers from our city.”

Mat looks to Vox seriously. “Once Rudral and Shae return, I’ll be off to clear the sewers with them. We’ll work as quickly as possible. You need to stay here and run the team while I’m gone. Also, I would ask you to pen some scrolls for me. Mad Monkeys and Fey Form I. They should take a total of 4 hours 48 minutes to complete. I’ll pay for the components.”

Mat breathes for what feels like the first time in hours. “Do you have any questions of me?”

22. - Top - End - #1162

MonkGuy

Jimmithy and Rudral rush out to the Arcanamirium and shop, dripping in charismatic perfume. They return successful, but grbed what they saw as quick as possible.

Spoiler: Let's go to the mall
    Show
    Here is the list of scrolls associated with d20 rolls:
    1. Sheet Lightning
    2. Ice Slick
    3. Ice Strom
    4. Force Punch
    5. Flurry of Snowballs
    6. Ball Lightning
    7. Shock Shield
    8. Fey Form 1
    9. Beast Shape 2
    10. Fireball
    11. Scorching Ray
    12. Acid Arrow (3rd level)
    13. Summon Swarm
    14. Summon Monster 3
    15. Diamond Spray
    16. Lightning Bolt
    17. Dragons Breath
    18. Black tentacles
    19. Dispel Magic
    20. Magic Missile (3rd level)

Scroll rolls:

(15d20)[19][6][6][1][14][8][7][11][1][16][4][11][20][15][11](150)

23. - Top - End - #1163

MonkGuy

Shae returns after 2 1/2 hours and heads directly to Mat. "Love, I return with insight. The area appear lightly guarded, I noticed 1-3 characters by each of the sites we wanted to investigate on the surface. They don't look incredibly strong, but to the simple-minded may be menacing. A few of them had wands. Some of the catapults you spoke of are covered by large drapes on top of buildings, and other appear to be hidden in large wooden containers. I was unable to get closer enough without drawing further attention. However there only appears to be one extra crate and drape we were unaware of. I trust we will be able to determine

The surface itself it quite busy with people, just going about their lives. I tried to get closer to the Cathedral itself, but was met with some sort of arcane barrier, which would not allow my entrance. I am sorry.

As for the sewers, I was able to fly down into the pits around the cathedral, and about 75 feet down. There are small entrances on the four corners, but each time I attempted to enter I was push back by a large gust of air which I was unable to fly through. I also heard a few voices in the sewers....but detect no overwhelming odor that you mentioned before. In a few of the houses, I sensed large abjuration and transmutation magics around the houses near the sewer grates.

Spoiler: New Info
    Show
    The magics around the houses are some sort of spell that conceal scent. I decided to head in through the sewer grates and found that the sewers seemed mostly empty. However, from the inside I could tell that there are a few guards, more heavily armed than the one on the surface. They are each at different posts on the 4 corners. Above most of these posts was a ladder and a door leading to the surface. I heard shuffling, but was unable to go up without getting caught.

I inspected the areas where I was pushed back magically, and there are magical glyphs by these large openings. With your eyes I could see that they are Glyphs of Air Blast, shooting out anything that moves in front of it.

Please let me know if I can clarify anything love. We will find revenge on this day."
    Last edited by Leomor; 2021-11-19 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Added text

24. - Top - End - #1164

MonkGuy

Rudral advises that they were able to post many of the flyers in the areas, but that they conflict with the flyer put out by the Heralds, also around the same area. Jimmithy spread the work to his contacts at the Arcanamirium, but it was a tough sell for many. The gold seemed to attract some, but hopefully more will hear soon.

Spoiler: Extra Scrolls
    Show
    They also bring back scrolls :4 Shield, 4 mage armor, 4 False Life, 1 scorching ray and 1 fireball

Vox prepares his spells that Mat has advised, and begins to work on the scrolls Mat insisted on right away afterwards. He is completed with the Mad Monkeys scroll by the time Rudral and Jimmithy return.

As Vox continued to prepare, the group looks for orders on what's next.

25. - Top - End - #1165

MonkGuy

Mat, Jimithy, Rudral, Shae, a Vox head to the Starstone Cathedral, hoping that their plan would work effortlessly. He receives a message from Allissia stating that help is on the way. Sneaking around the northern side, the group found that there were spells blinded the horrid smell of zombie and guano in some of the houses around the cathedral. Mat placed the team in strategic location to provide eyesight and tactical advantage. After getting close to one of the catapults filled with explosive zombies, Mat accidently set them off, causing a huge explosion.

As the rubble settled, the Innkeeper in his Rhakshaha form appeared onto of the with a hooded figure on top of the cathedral. He spoke of how the gods have tempted the mortals of Golarion with hope for too long, and that the riddle of "Can I be the next one to complete the trial" of the Starstone and ascend was the gods toying with the emotions of mortals. The Heralds intend to destroy it and remove the "riddle" from existence. The Innkeeper brings a badly beaten Lord Gyr, and slits his throat before throwing him into the abyss surrounding the structure. He pulls out the defensive Twin wand of Absolom as a barrier is fortified against around the area. At the same time, loud explosions are heard from docks, as a navy is starting to bombard the southern section of the city.

The Innkeeper continues and states that some people would try and stop him, referring not by name to Mathwin. The Innkeeper refers to Mat as a drug-dealer, murderer, someone who would sell and item to a shopkeep then steal it back, and lastly a man who would call someone "Blood-brother", then vow to betray them. Mat is astonished to hear his secrets revealed to the world, and furiously racks his brain for who knew all this. As he does, the hooded figure removes their hood and Vikeer reveals her face to the crowd. The Innkeeper pulls out Rovagug's Onyx and a pulse of energy begins to draw the zombies towards it.

Mats' astonished face travels through many emotions, as last her saw her he sent her off with gold in a place he trusted for her to start her life. His face lands on anger as mages appear around the Cathedral and begin starting to alight the zombie hoards. Mat finds Daryl in the crowd, hurt by what the Innkeeper said, but continues to fight against the Innkeeper. The group tries to overcome the barrier that protects the Starstone Cathedral, and eventually the Innkeeper drops it, to allow for the zombies to be flung onto the base of the cathedral and explode, as the Innkeeper also holds Agni in his other paw. The Innkeeper quickly hands off Rovagug's Onyx to Vikeer who quickly dimension doors away, much to Mat's confusion.

Mat's anger flows through him, and he teleporting strikes with Yellowjacket straight into the Innkeeper, dealing a critical blow to the beast. Later in the battle, Daryl is knocked off the edge by the Innkeeper, both of who are badly injured. Mat had but a moment to act, and wastes no time. His force missiles fly out and strike the Innkeeper, but also Daryl, who loses his grip on the rocks and falls into the abyss. Mat deals the final blow to the Innkeeper, and Mat is filled with glorious purpose and he honors his promises to his Lady.

Mat grabs the defensive Twin key of Absolom and creates a barrier across the city, protecting it from the onslaught from the navy attacking it. Jimithy states that while the 2nd key might be lost, there are ways to remake it, if not costly ones. Mat grabs a section of a tree from the Starstone Cathedral, and some torn bloody robe of Lord Gyr, hoping it could be useful.

Mat integrates one of the mages and members of the lower council, Jeremia Plumendod, who tells Mat that the Emissary is actually Senator Dalton Corrin, who is the leading Naval Captain of the Talden Navy, who are trying to overtake Absolom. She explains the plot of how Taldor has been buying slaves and working with the Lumber consortium to monopolize on wood for building ships, that no army is nearly as large as Taldors. Mat can smell that the Rovagugs Onyx is south, outside the borders of the city.

---------

Mat regroups at the Wandering Wastrel, where he finds Allissia, Sumina, Lorgum, Lash, Redalfo, Mistress Opparra, and Hilardo all safe from the onslaught of the city. The city is struggling to find it purpose as its leaders have been destroyed. Mat advises the group that Daryl fell into the pits, but it appears that Allissia sees through his half-truth. Mat asks Allissia to have all of Absolom gather all their broomsticks, blanks wands, and anything similar and to meet at the docks. He knows his shield will only last until morning. He needs more time.

Mat quickly plans to shift planes and hopes to gain more time to build the wand in Elysium. Mat is teleported there bu a cleric of Calistria names Raphela, having met her sister Michelagela in Cassomir. Mat is teleported to the The Garden of Deceit and Delight, and is greeted by a familiar Empusa, Ezreietta. She advises Mat that he will need to bring a rather glorious gift to gain more favor. Mat offers himself in all ways, which is accepted as Lavina, Wings of the Savored Sting appears and grants Mat time, but how much in unclear.

Mat also gazes into the Well of Woes and Wishes, where he is told he could scry on any person, to further plot his revenge, but that it would cost a dream. Mat thinks of who he should look at and considers Senator Dalton Corrin, Vikeer, and even Remmy, but decides on Philip Coremount. Peering onto a large ship near Absolom, Mat sees Phillip boasting about how he duped Mat and that his face was priceless as he saw that his illusion of Vikeer affected him so. Wearing the Alabaster Caplet and Cap of greater Disguise, Philip continue that he has plans to try nad focus his attacks on Mat's companions and Shae, and plans to make sure Mat cannot transform like in his last battle, if a fight between them breaks out. Philip also trails off about bigger plans that he has, and that the Senator is a part of them.

Mat is able to push the scrying over just enough to see the navy's current location around Absolom, and what type of ship is placed where, be it a spellcasting ship, heavily defended, quick sailing, or other. As he is pulled out of the vision, he feels that his dreams of wands he has dreams about in the past are gone, and hopes that he will be able to dream of new ones in the future.

Luckily Mat has not dreamed of this wand yet, so it remains intact in his mind. With the help of Paymel, Muse of Shelyn, and Mihr, the Blind Eyed Angel of Cayden Cailean, Mat begins working on the offensive twin wand of Absolom. Using the wood form the tree near the Starstone, and the robe of Lord Gyr, Mat is able to craft a wand of Magic missile, but not a normal one, a magnificent one of grand purpose and scale. The process is difficult and tenuous, but Mat is able to prevail with building the wand, Wrath of the Many. He travels back to the Material plane just in time as thousands have gathered to help Mat against the Talden invasion. He fires a boom heard across the planes as he knows exactly where the ships miles away are, and decimates more than half the navy attacking Absolom.

-------

The wand smoking in Mat hand remain firmly grasped as his body falls to the ground, exhausted by the sheer magics that flowed through him. He's caught by his friends and stands with their help. The wand then summons an Arcane navy to help defend the city in its time of need.
    Last edited by Leomor; 2021-12-27 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Added Wand name

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat coughs and clears his head, looking to the ships summoned into the Coins docks. He knows what he needs to do now, although he is loathe to do it. He needs to command.

Mat stands wearily but speaks loudly to the crowd of assembled folk. "Men and Women of Absalom! You all have fired the retaliatory shot against the Taldan Navy, punishing them for their cowardly attack upon our fair and neutral city. Now, Absalom herself has given us the ships to fight back. I call upon all able-bodied sailors with love in their hearts and fire in their bellies to join me and fight back the Eastern foe! We sank half their navy with a single spell. Let's show them, and all the world watching, that Absalom is not some soft prize to be won. To arms!!!"

Mat looks to his assembled allies. Worthy captains and officers of the navy he summoned. As he speaks their names, he burns their faces into his memory, for this may well be the last time he sees them alive.

"My friends. I need stalwart captains and officers for these vessels. I glimpsed the enemy plans when I scried upon their ships earlier. I know where their resources are concentrated. We can use this knowledge to our great advantage, but only if you trust in my judgement. They don't know which of our ships is fastest. Which will be carrying spellcasters. We can use this too. Now, see here - "

Mat begins laying out the basics of his plan on parchment, marking individual vessels with colored dots conjured through minor prestidigitation. As Mat looks at each new ship in his navy, names flow to him and appear in glowing amber script upon each bow.

"Alissia, Jacqueline, you'll be upon the cruiser Undying Light. Rake south and hook to flank, using your kinetics to stay at range. Jacqueline, aim below the water line to sink the vessels quickly. You'll have greater control over your aim than your cannons will. Aim for smaller attack vessels and cruisers as the opportunities present themselves, but your primary target should be this spellcasting vessel here. It's heavily defended, so you won't sink it fast, but you might be able to shut down its caster with a Mindlink, 'Lis."

"Sumina, Lash, you're on the cruiser Come and Get It. You're going to provide the other jaw in this pincer, coming in from the north. You won't have the spellcasting ability of the Undying Light, but you will be a powerhouse in arms. Priority target is this spellcasting defensive vessel here. Hit it hard and fast. Once she's sunk, focus fire on other heavily armored ships. Your ship will be best equipped to punch through tougher hides."

"Lorgam, I need you on the galleon Undaunted. I know, you have command of the Darryl, but I need a firm hand on the helm of the Undaunted because she'll be the spearpoint in the center of the assault wedge. The Darryl will be in the steady hands of Bennet, whom I assure you is up to the task. Mistress Oparra, you will accompany Lorgam upon the galleon. Use your skills to tend to the wounded, bring water, and keep your head down. Lorgam, you are the anvil to the cruisers' hammers. You will hold the center of the wedge and divide the enemy force in two. You'll be flanked by Bennet in the Darryl and Jimmithy in the Echidna. The three of you will drive into the heart of the fleet and target their vulnerable attack vessels. Jim, I'm giving you wands. Use them. Bennet, the crew of the Darryl are hardened mariners. They'll fight hard."

"Stanwick, Rodolfo. You'll be captaining the Bon Voyage and the Rapier. They're small and fast, so use that speed. Stanwick, get to those ships that look like they're taking heavy fire or outnumbered. Use your inspiring verse to help. Rodolfo, find ships that are engaged and hit them from behind. Hit hard, be nasty, get out, repeat."

"Vox, you will be captaining the Tears of Somal. She's a heavy frigate, so you should be afforded some extra armor. I need you to hold the northwest and prevent our force from being encircled. Use your magic to control the battlefield and give our force the advantage we lack in numbers."

"Rudral, Shae, and I will provide support and direction as needed from the Vesper. And if the Emissary enters the fight, we'll engage her."

Hilardo raises his little hand. "You forgot these two," pointing to a Caliphas Class Cargo Ship and a Kuthon Class Infiltrator on the map. "You're right, apprentice. I have special plans for those two ships. And, I need your help to get them ready . . ."