1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Ale, Fortune and Math

Mat is still wary.
    Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    Sense Motive Check: (1d20)[1]

Sheathing the Ivy wand in his vest, he sits at the table and places the book upon it. He's still ready to lash out if the Innkeeper makes a move against him.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Mathwin tries to feel out this man and the situation. Deciding it would be best to hear what he has to say, he sits down at the table and sets the book down. Surprised, he notices that the book and the strong are both visible! The confused look on Mat faces prompts the Innkeeper to say, “Always love when they send magicians. That look is priceless!” He motions to a small torc around his neck. “Anti-magic field. Let’s me know if you’re not who you say you are, and lets you know that I’m not some devil trying to eat your soul!” the Innkeeper laughs at his own joke, but Mat feels quite naked without being able to cast spells, and the sheer size of this man does not bode well for Mathwin.

HTML Code:
    http://orig15.deviantart.net/25cf/f/2012/111/c/6/c69a8fce22eff6039fd9a2cefad068b7-d4x46pw.jpg
    “Now, let’s get down to business. May I have the book?” He holds his hands out towards you.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Left with little choice in the field of anti-magic, Mat obliges, handing the book to the Innkeeper. "Well then, suppose I'm right buggered if you've got an anti-magic field up. I'll take that whiskey now, if you don't mind."

4. - Top - End - #304

MonkGuy

As he takes the book, the Innkeeper laughs again, “Don’t worry Mat, this is only the procedure. I can turn it off it make you feel better. I just want to trust me.” He grabs a whisky for you, and sits back down. You notice there seems to be 2 snake heads on the ends of the torc he wears. He twists one of the heads backwards and you feel a slight sensation overcome you. You figure it must be your connection to magic reigniting, so the field must be down.

“Now I’m sure you have lots of questions. I can assure you that this is all procedure. Let me first start by asking you, did you open the book?” He takes the string off the book as it reappears.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat allows his eyes to flare briefly, confirming his re-connection to Magic. Sipping his whiskey, he speaks calmly to the Innkeeper.

"Thank you for that. The instructions said not to, so I didn't. You have a name I can call you, friend?"

6. - Top - End - #306

MonkGuy

He looks at you as you respond, seemingly trying to decipher your response about the book. After a few seconds, he places the book in his side pocket and says in a very clear but soft voice. “I have to say lad, that you’re doing better than most others. I have to congratulate you on that.”

He sits back and says, “Unfortunatly, you can call me the Innkeeper. That’s how we work.” Sensing your frustration, he quickly adds, “But that’s the question isn’t it? Who are we? I can tell you all that, but I need one last thing. From what I’ve seen of you so far, you’ll want to sign this. You’d be perfect.” He hands you a small contract. It states,

“Mathwin Lora agrees in full health and clear mind, not to communicate or divulge any correspondence on the 20th day of Pharast in the year 4715 with the man he knows as “The Innkeeper”, being verbal, non-verbal, telepathic or any other form of communication to any being/non-being, under penalty of death.”

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Looking at the contract, Mat reads it carefully. He realizes that this is to protect the anonymity of the Innkeeper and his organization, and that it's scope is limited to the conversation had today.

Pulling a quill and ink from his belt pouch, he sign moves to sign the paper, but stops. "What if the information is pulled from me unwillingly, via mind control or memory removal?"

8. - Top - End - #308

MonkGuy

Visibly impressed, The Innkeeper says, “If that happens, this contract is the least of your worries. But there would be a hearing, and if you could prove you innocence, you’d be free.”

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Seems fair enough." Mat signs the contract.

10. - Top - End - #310

MonkGuy

The Innkeeper inspects the contract after you sign it, looks up and says, “Fantastic! I bet the anticipation is driving you crazy. You might want a sip of that whisky first.” He put the contract in his pocket and looks directly at you.

“I work for the Shadow Guild. Much like the Adventurer’s Guild, we contract adventurers to assist with tasks that people need to get done. We are contracted by people with great wealth to assist with contracts that the Adventurers Guild wouldn’t allow. We look at all the adventurers working with the Guild and examine their potential. You’ve quickly grown through the ranks this winter, and that ambition got you noticed by us. We started watching you; you’re very careful. We think you would be interested in assisting us with the occasional contract.

Now the way the contracts work; we give you a key phrase of what the contract would entail; thievery, slander, rescue, etc. This is called the “catchword.” We’d also tell you how much the bounty would pay. Based on those 2 thing alone, you decide if you want to accept the contract. Keep in mind, you would not know the full expectation of the contract until you accept it. You will not be forced the take any contract you don’t want, but your willingness will grant you favor. However, once you accept the contract, you cannot back down, without earning a black marks. Typically, 5 black marks are enough to get you killed, but depending on the information you initially look at, less could still cost you your life. My associates do not take these things very lightly.

But not all of our jobs are down and dirty. Many times we are presented with jobs that the local government would never allow, but still needs to happen. So if you’re a Paladin of peace, there may still be a place for you.

Also, a benefit of working with us, is we use the same system that the Adventurers Guild does. For each contract you complete, you will earn quest point that will add to what you already have. We have a guy on the inside, and he takes care that no one notices. We also have our own ranking system, but it’s a little different.

Working with the Shadow Guild, you will only work with me. We keep it this way for awhile, until we are absolutely sure that we can trust you. It took me 5 years to meet the next step above me. We can make you richer than your wildest dreams, help you change to world or help you burn it down, for the right price.” His devious smile scares and attracts you at the same time. “The challenge of waking up and overcoming obstacles that you never thought you could will be worth more than gold, my friend. The possibilities are limitless.

Any questions?”

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sipping the whiskey, it really is very good, Mat listens intently to the Innkeeper.

Well, I've always wanted contracts with a little more pay, and this may be the way to get it done . . . although, the threat of death is slightly off putting . . . I get the distinct feeling that this "Shadow Guild" could make me a great deal of money. Perhaps even enough to . . . no no that's still just a dream. A far away flight of fancy. Hmmm. . .

Finishing the whiskey, Mat speaks.

"I do have a few questions, Innkeeper. One: May I have another pour of that delightfully peaty vintage? Two: Will you teach me that spell with the burning notes? I'd sincerely like to learn that one." Mat smiles mischievously. "Three: Why do you want an evoker? It sounds like your organization would get more use out of an Enchanter or an Illusionist, and I'm as far from either as is possible." Mat waits for responses.

12. - Top - End - #312

MonkGuy

The Innkeeper gladly pours you an some more of his vintage. Seemingly happy about your enthusiasm and cautious nature, he responds, “I am far from a magician, so whatever my superiors showed to entice you, maybe in due time. And as for you skills, who ever said we wanted you for your evoker skills?” He smiles as he takes a sip of his drink.

He laughs again, “We more look for the type of person that would work well in our organization. You’ve already shown that you’re willing to follow instructions, cautious about his surroundings, and all this without questioning the assignment. And Illusionists think they can do anything just because their invisible, cocky little bastards. Sometime you need brute force to get a job done.”

He sips his drink as he waits to see if you have any other questions.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"I just know when to ask questions and when to keep my mouth shut. Helps you stay alive." Drinking a little more deeply from the whiskey, he smirks. "I think you and I will have a very prosperous relationship, Innkeeper. Very prosperous, indeed. But I have one last question: Where do I sign?" Smiling, Mat downs the rest of the glass.

14. - Top - End - #314

MonkGuy

The Innkeeper slams his drink on the table and exclaims, “That’s the spirit! Now, Only a few more things to go over.” He pulls out a scroll from his pocket, and unravels it. “First you’ll need to sign this contract. It simply states that for your services, we will provide you an pre-set amount of money for completion of tasks. It also outlines how the black mark system works, and upon review by our council, how the marks are assigned, acted upon and can even be removed.” He gives you a little aside, “Yep the marks can be removed from your record, but they’re usually the jobs that nobody wants, so I would choose wisely sir.”

“Also, all of our members have a sort of marking to delineate themselves as members. It’s done with a special alchemical/magic ink. Under a detect magic spell, it glows orange, but shines with small sparkles. A normal magician would see this as conjuration magic, but a closer eye can tell. I would advise you to not fight or kill anyone with these symbols if you can, as they can earn you black marks. And remember, you are somewhat in competition with them for contracts, so approaching someone you know with one could be ill advised.” He shows under his left bicep, he has a small infinity symbol tattooed on it. “You get to choose where it’s placed of course. Some people hide it, and other show it off. Sometimes someone will open doors they normally wouldn’t. I leave that up to you.”

“However, if you ever find yourself needing to hide it, it reacts to your saliva. Just wipe some on, and it’ll hide for about 2 or 3 minutes.” He demonstrates, as he spits on his arm, and then wipes it in. The tattoo starts to vanish. You are impressed with the new types of magic this organization has, and are dying to learn more.

As you peruse the contract, you see it is pretty straight forward. This organization needs people to complete the jobs, so screwing them over is not in their best interest. It is actually very similar to the contract you signed with the Adventurers Guild. It only differs by not giving up your handler, The Innkeeper, hiding the concept of this organization, and how you will be reprimanded if they find out you have done so, which seems to be death. While the concept of death is not a matter you’d like to think about, you understand their position, and do not see anything in this contract that you would question.

He hands you the contract and quill, already inked.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat's intrigued by the marking system, the clandestine nature of the Guild, and the magic he'll learn here.

"Well, here's to the start of a great adventure."

Picking up the quill, Mat makes his mark.

16. - Top - End - #316

MonkGuy

The Innkeeper exclaims loudly, "That's a good lad!" He looks over the contract, folding it into his pocket afterwards. "Now, we'll need to give you your tattoo. Draw a symbol on this parchment, and let me know where you want it." He pulls out a small needle and jar of black ink. "Don't worry, I won't make it look horrible! You also might want this!" He pours you another glass full of spirits. You can tell you are still in control of all your faculties, but another might be pushing it.

As he gets ready to tattoo you, he explains, "Now, once I get this contract secured, we can start offering you contracts. You will only take contracts by me, and each time we speak to each other about anything related to the Shadow Guild, we will have our own code phrase. Let's see, how about, 'It's either buttons or goin' legit for me.' If you don't say that before speaking, I'll consider you a stranger. Got it?"

Dabbing his needle, he adds, "I won't be tailing you around, so as not to raise any attention. If you need me, I work over at Redalfo's. They'll be calling me Carlo." Seeing the odd expression on your face, The innkeeper responds "Just because i deal in the black market don't mean I'm rich. A good cover and fine work is how I want to live."

He asks if you have any other questions as he is ready to begin the tattooing process.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"All seems rather straightforward," Mat says. Tipping back the glass of whiskey, he holds the small glass up to the light. He marvels at the way the residual whiskey coats the side, creating a cascade of amber lights. He's known for quite some time that his aura was amber in color. It was one of the first things that students at the Varisian Academy learned. He always found it funny that whiskey, mead, and beer all followed that same color scheme. "Glass," he finally says, still marveling. "I want the symbol for Glass."

Mat leans forward and brushes the dark hair at the side of his head back. Pulling his ear lobe forward, he points behind it. "I want it here, behind the ear on the skull so it might be hidden by hair and hat unless I choose to reveal it."

18. - Top - End - #318

MonkGuy

The Innkeeper looks at the image, and says, “Shouldn’t be a problem!” He asks you to turn around. As you do, you seem him pour a bit of grey powder into the ink. Stirring it up, he places his needle into the ink and begins to prod you skin with the needle. It hurts, as the needle is jabbed into your skin multiple times, but this isn’t Mat’s first tattoo.

After an hour or so, the Innkeeper finishes your Symbol. He says, “Very good! Now, I think it’s best if we head off. Tomorrow’s a new day, and full of possibilities. I think this is the beginning of a great thing Mathwin.” Very inebriated, You and the Innkeeper walk the streets until you make to your residence. He drops you off and heads north, stumbling down the street. The moon is high in the sky, and the house is dark and quiet.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat stumbles his way up to his room, tosses his hat and clothes on the chair in the corner, stows his gear and flops into bed, exhausted and drunk.

20. - Top - End - #320

MonkGuy

Waking up, Mathwin mind seems to still be racing. Everything he heard last night; secret organizations, the promise of gold and the fear of death? Mathwin thinks for a minute about his past evening, and he realizes his head really hurts. At first he figures he’s hangover ,but after a few seconds, he feels that the pain is centralized in one area. He races out of bed to a mirror, and parts his hair behind his ear. He can only make out a fraction of it, but he sees the black ink from the tattoo a little bit. He can’t see the full image without the use of a second mirror, but Mathwin is excited that last night wasn’t a dream.

He grabs his belongings and after grabbing a bite to eat, heads to the Arcanamirium. He feels confident that he should be able to finish his job today. He makes his way into the Library, and settles into his study, while the attendant brings you a kettle of warm tea.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat thanks the man for his kindness and memory, since he is bringing tea unasked for. Catching the sleeve of the assistant before he leaves, Mat weaves the response he's been thinking of all morning. He does his best to tell a story that is without lies, but obfuscates truth all the same.

"I do apologize, lad, whilst packing my things yesterday I grabbed that animal training tome you pulled for me and placed it in my bag amongst my other things. Truth be told, I didn't even see it in there. I got terribly inebriated last night and left it in the common room of an innkeeper in town. I don't know his name, and doubt I'll be able to retrieve the book. I did get a little too drunk, I'm afraid to say. May I pay for its replacement? I do hope that you won't be blamed for its loss."

After the man's response, and just as he did yesterday, and the day before, Mat doffs his hat, dons his glasses, and sits. Dipping his quill in a fresh pot of ink, he weaves amber flows of energy to cast Read Magic and Detect Magic. Additionally, Mat casts Summarize in order to capture the nuance of the text even though the literal translation may be different.
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2015-11-13 at 11:44 AM.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff Check:(1d20+1)[10]

23. - Top - End - #323

MonkGuy

As the attendant looks at you, listening to your story, he shakes his head. “You could get in grave trouble for removing any piece of information from this library. I would advise you to never to do it again.” He thinks for a second, “As for the tome, it shouldn’t be hard too much to replace. I’ll have to clarify its worth, but I will implore you to get back to work and keep your head down.” He leaves the room, he stops at the door and says, “Thank you for your honesty.”
    Spoiler: Checks
    Show

Roll Linguistics, knowledge History and geography.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat nods, thankful that the assistant seems to have accepted his story at face value. He begins pouring over the scrolls.
    Spoiler
    Show
    All the spells mentioned.
    Linguistics:(1d20+8)[9]
    Knowledge History:(1d20+10)[19]
    Knowledge Geography:(1d20+8)[13]

25. - Top - End - #325

MonkGuy

Mathwin tries to finish his work here quickly, to gain any favor he can with the school. As he continues to translate the scrolls, he uncovers the final chapters of the Irrisian Necromancers.

As the Paladins stand tall against the evil necromancer Archazial, the necromancer attempts to unleash the works his followers have been working on. His followers have spent much time placing carrots and salt around the battlefield, the evil Necromancer attempts to boil and eat all his opposition within the field. Unfortunately, Archazial’s recipe was not correct, and instead turned his undead army into birds, which is as the legends suggests crows come from.”

Mathwin, a bit confused by his translation, but hurried to finish present his work to the assistant as he returns. The assistant says, “The tome seems to be worth 10 gold, as it is still a rare piece of literature. I will process that before you leave. And it looks like you are all finished. I shall bring these to the headmaster.” He picks up your scrolls and heads out, telling you to wait just a few minutes before he returns.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat counts out 10 gold pieces, chagrinned, but happy that it wasn't more.

He strolls about the library, perusing the volumes in the "Spells" section, looking for anything interesting that might be worth learning in the future.

27. - Top - End - #327

MonkGuy

Before Mat has too long to look over the book in the “Spellbooks” section, the assistant comes back quickly. He says “The headmaster is busy right now, but I’ve dropped off your work. He was thoroughly impressed with your work, and the rate you accomplished it. Thank you so much for you work here.” He lightly bows and then walks you out of the library, while explaining, “You can pick up your pay at the Guild. Thank you very much again.”

He leads you to the exit, and leaves you. It is high noon, there are no clouds in the sky and the day is getting warmer.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat breathes in the air, content at a job well done and looking forward to a night of drinking at Redalfo's. Heading towards the Guild Hall, Mat also thinks of scribbling down a want add for a Tutor for Hilardo. As soon as Mat makes it to the Hall, he'll find a cozy corner and scribble a want add for the lad. Then, he'll pick up payment, and see what jobs have been posted since he last came here.

29. - Top - End - #329

MonkGuy

Approaching the Adventurers Guild, you begin looking at the contracts, hoping that there is something worth your time. Walking down the alley, you hear many peddlers trying to get you to give them your gold. Some of them appear a little crazy, asking for you to buy their cats hair, and one even asks to buy your hair. As you turn the corner, a large man in a black cloak stops you and says, “Spare change mister?” As you try and move past him, he steps in front of you, blocking your path.

Spoiler: Check
    Show
    Mat is granted a perception check.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat stares back at the man, golden eyes gleaming in the dim light, and subtly fingers the wand beneath his sleeve.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception:(1d20)[3]