New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Ale, Fortune and Math

Mathwin swiftly flicks his wrist in a unknotting motion he knows all to well. A bit of a troublemaker, Mathwin always enjoyed causing a bit of mischief when the situation called for it. This spell has been used on foes, friends and the occasional permitting lady or two, when he wants to impress them with the mystical arts. he once was a little inebriated with a little too much wine and managed to cast the spell on himself in the middle of a duel. After that incident, he spent the next week drinking and casting the spell to make sure that he could do it in the drunkest of nights.

Loto's pants expertly fall down, revealing snow white cloth, with the name "Loto" embroidered on the backside. Loto does not realize this at first, while the two gentlemen, presumably Sigeric and Volker, start laughing at him. Once Loto sees his trousers flat on the ground, he pulls them up quickly, making the viper vanish. The young man runs as fast as he can away from the area. Loto watches the boy run as he readjusts himself, starting to scream at Mathwin, "HOW DARE YOU? Do you have any idea who I am?! I should rip you to shred right now!" Sigeric, and Volker are still stiflingly a laugh while Loto is finishing buckling his pants.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Smiling and unphased, Mat lets the little twerp go off on him. Standing nonchalantly, Mat crosses his arms and talks down to the bully. I know exactly who you are, Loto Ingle. I know that your Daddy would be very upset if he heard about you breaking school rules by "ripping me to shreds" while on school grounds. I also know that you're apparently ugly enough that you need to use Enchantments to get girls and cowardly enough to use Illusions on old men in the Coins. I challenge you to a spellduel . . . for wands. Unless, of course, you're too cowardly to try yourself against anyone but a quaking teenager.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Intimidate Check
    Show
    Intimidate: (1d20+1)[2]

4. - Top - End - #34

MonkGuy

Matwin begins an epic speech, to tear down down this small human, belittling the tiniest amount of skill this person may have.With a loud clearly of his throat, Mat begins, "I know exactly who you are, Loto Ingle. I know that your Daddy COUGH COUGH COUGH!" Mat chokes just a little bit on some meat leftover in his mouth from earlier. He tries to reaffirm himself, and continues, pushing past whatever could stop his epic speech!

He finishes putting these babes in place, when Loto and his group starts laughing tremendously, rolling on the ground at you. Mat becomes furious, "How dare they not take me seriously!" Mat says to the group. Suddenly he stops and hears his voice. Whatever was lodged in his throat has raised the pitch of his voice to something of a 13 year old female. Mat is embarrassed and feels he might have lost a little steam and far as scaring Loto, but certainly not in a match against him.

Loto, in between laughs says, "Sure old man. You want to face me? Let's go in the dueling arena now, unless your too much of a girl!" Loto is pleased with his very original joke against you, and his group cheers "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!" as they head to the dueling area.

Matwin follows. He approaches an area that looks like a dirt road, about 50 feet wide. There are many students watching and one older wizard. Loto is speaking with this wizard, no doubt registering himself for the duel. The old Wizard approaches and asks, "State your name, wager and counter wager?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In a clear, manly voice Mat says, Mathwin of House Lora. And unless that snake said otherwise, we're dueling for wands today. Mat draws his Willow Wand of Sleep and lets his Rowan wand slip back into his sleeve, freeing his right hand for spellcasting. Mat stands ready at the end of the pitch, staring down his opponent.
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2015-08-21 at 10:05 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36

MonkGuy

Loto laughs, "Fine then, we'll wager wands." He pulls out a 17 inch white oak wand, and states, "Yours is a little small, don't you think?" Impressed with his joke he heads to his side of the dueling arena.

Loto stands 25 feet in front of you. Before the match starts, the older wizard walks to the center and states to rules of engagment. "This will be standard duel. The first magician struck unconcious by KO or other and not temporary means will be declared the winner. Before the match starts, You will face away from eachother. You will each 30 seconds to cast spells on yourself if you see fit. At the first crack of my wand, you will turn around. At the crack, the duel shall begin. Are you both ready?" Loto nods and laughs.
    Last edited by Leomor; 2015-08-21 at 09:09 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ready, Mat nods and pulls the brim of his hat down to shade his face.

8. - Top - End - #38

MonkGuy

The Wizard steps back from the area. As you and Loto takes your respective spots in the arena, he yells “Last chance old man! Don’t break your back!”

The wizard moves towards and large lever, and after pulling it towards him, Mat hears a sort of zapping sound all around him, followed by a loud humming. He knows this is the sound of the arena being set up. After a few seconds, a translucent blue bursts out of the ground in a 50ft circle around Loto and Mat. Mat has been in this before, he knows that the blue color is a regenerative aura, that the High Clerics created. Once turned on, the magic takes a hold of the divine energy inside of you, and stores that energy in its power. Once the aura is lifted, before it falls, it will put that same divine energy back into you, restoring all health and conditions as they were back to you.

Once the aura is raised, the Wizard yells, “Turn!” And you hear the crack of a wand.

Spoiler: Mat
    Show
    Mat now has 5 rounds to cast spells or move.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat begins the preparation of his spell array while slowly walking forward, evoking an air of determination and practiced confidence. Muttering under his breath his eyes briefly flare amber then fade back to their gold while casting Eyes of the Augur. Intoning in a clear voice, Fethos, he conjures a floating, translucent amber Shield engraved with the Lora family crest. And reaching into his scroll case, he begins reading one of his own scribed scrolls, Arcaniss Litrix, creating an amber suit of spectral Mage Armor that moves with him. He slides the now blank page back into its case. Kissing his signet ring, Mat moves within close range of Loto and attempts to decipher the spells the boy is using.

Spoiler
    Show

Round 1: Cast Eyes of the Augur and walk towards Loto.
    Round 2: Cast Shield and keep walking.
    Round 3: Use Scroll of Mage Armor and return the paper to its case.
    Round 4: Move to be within 30 ft of Loto and attempt Spellcraft check (Skill ranks+Spell Duel Prodigy+Eyes of the Augur) [roll0].
    Round 5: Attempt Spellcraft check (Skill ranks+Spell Duel Prodigy+Eyes of the Augur) [roll1] and ready self for combat.
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2015-08-21 at 10:24 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Spellcraft Check Flub
    Show
    Spellcraft 1: (1d20+22)[40]
    Spellcraft 2: (1d20+22)[39]

11. - Top - End - #41

MonkGuy

Mat casts his spells to protect himself and better identify whatever tricks Loto thinks he could come up with. As he hears the first crack, Mat turns around to face Loto. When he turns around, all he is able to see is a large black cloud of mist, covering a good 20 feet of area where Loto is presumably standing. Mat knows this is a Obscuring Mist Spell. As the final 5 seconds count down, he must decide what to do quickly, as he hears the second crack of the Wizards wand.

Spoiler: Init.
    Show
    Roll Initiative.

Loto's Initiative= (1d20-1)[5]

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[11]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat turns to see the cloud of mist and curses in Ancient Thassilonian. He needs line of sight to use most of his spells. He draws the Ivy Wand of Color Spray with his right hand and steels himself. He knows that the Obscuring Mist spell blinds the caster just as much as the opponent. He just has to wait for the coward to reveal himself. He readies a dueling counter and also readies an action to use his Force Missile against the man when he reveals himself from the cloud.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Free action ready dueling counter. Full action to use Force Missile (Sp), Spell Like requires no hands.

14. - Top - End - #44

MonkGuy

To Mathwin's left he sees Loto turn out of the mist yelling "AHA!", perparing to cast a spell at him.

Spoiler: Mat Action
    Show
    Mat is granted his force missle.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Eyes flaring, Mat calls upon the power within him and a ball of amber energy streaks toward the boy without any hand waving or warning.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Force Missile hits automatically without a saving throw for (1d4+1)[3] force damage. If Loto is casting a spell, he must make a Concentration check (DC 10 + damage dealt + spell level) to cast. Even if successful, Mat is entitled to a Spellcraft check for a dueling counter.

16. - Top - End - #46

MonkGuy

Loto takes a suprise hit in the chest while is arms are exposed, casting the spells. He tried desperatly to regain his composure.

Spoiler: Caster Check
    Show
    Caster Check: (1d20+2)[16] DC 14

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat assesses what spell the apprentice is casting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft: (1d20+22)[35] DC 16.

18. - Top - End - #48

MonkGuy

Mat sees a Ki Arrow flying directly towards him, with precision aim.
    Last edited by Leomor; 2015-08-21 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Mulligan

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat decides to let the Ki Arrow strike, hoping that his Shield and Mage Armor protect him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    AC 20 (+2 Dex, +4 Shld, +4 Arm)

20. - Top - End - #50

MonkGuy

Loto flings an arrow directly at Mat's chest.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+19)[34]
    Damage: (1d3+1)[3]

21. - Top - End - #51

MonkGuy

As Mathwin takes a small cut in his side, he see's Loto ready to for Mat's incoming attack.

Spoiler: Loto
    Show
    Loto readies a counter.
    Last edited by Leomor; 2015-08-21 at 12:17 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat wipes a trickle of blood from the wound. I was not expecting the True Strike from you, Loto. Well played. But this is how a real Wizard deals damage. Mat moves back from the mist cloud and sheathes his Ivy wand. He smirks as he casts his signature spell. Four glowing amber orbs of force materialize around him and streak towards Loto.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sheathe Color Spray wand while moving. Cast Magic Missile.
    • Spellcraft DC to identify spell for dueling counter: (DC 15 + the spell's level = 16).
    • Counter caster level check if identified: (DC of 15 + the spell's caster level = 15+(Caster Level)+(Precocious Spellcaster)+(Varisian Tattoo)+(Spell Specialization) = 15+3+1+1+2 = 22
    • Damage if not countered:Four missiles (1d4+1)[3] (1d4+1)[4] (1d4+1)[5] (1d4+1)[5] +1(Intense Spells) Force Damage with no saving throw.

23. - Top - End - #53

MonkGuy

Spoiler: Spellcraft
    Show
    Loto's spellcraft check: (1d20+8)[19]

24. - Top - End - #54

MonkGuy

Loto is able to see this standard Magic missle coming towards him, but it frightful of what it can do. He expends a spell to attempt to counter it, while looking terrified.

Spoiler: Caster Level
    Show
    Loto's Caster Level check to counter : (1d20+4)[14] (+2 Level, +2 same school) DC 22

25. - Top - End - #55

MonkGuy

Loto attempts to swiftly whip his wands against the first missile directed at him. Missing horribly, he takes the full brunt of each missile to the solar plexus, in step, nose and finally groin. Loto is flung ungracefully to the ground. After a few seconds, you see that he stops moving.

You hear a loud crack against, signifying that the match is over. You hearing cheering as the students who have crowded around the dueling area cheer you on! The blue aura starts to dissipate, as you feel your wound crumble away, as if you were never pierced. You see Sigeric and Volker waddle over to Loto to help him up, and Loto is unscathed, with the exception of his ego. "You wait till my father hears about this!!" Loto screams, while attempting to get up on his own.

"Oh, I think seeing it did more justice." You hear from behind a few students. They part and you see a large handsome man walk through. He is bald with large shoulders and a beautiful long red robe that follows in his long footsteps. "Does this boy look familiar to you?" You see the small teenager behind the man who was being harassed by Loto earlier. Loto's face whitens, "I can explain dad-". He is cut off, by the man. "You pull this stunt in the week where you could have become a student here? You bring shame to our family."

The man turns to you and says, "I am Duhyren, teacher of conjuration here. You fought well, and won honorable. I believe this is your prize?" He hands him Loto's white wand. "If I am not mistaken, this wand is used to conjure minor monsters. I wish I could offer you more, I apologize for my sons actions."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

After the match is declared, Mat sheathes the Willow wand in his left hand and breathes easy. He won. Mat lets the Shield and Eyes of the Augur spells peter out naturally, but the Mage Armor will be around for several more hours and he keeps it on. Smiling, Mat tips his hat to Duhyren. Thank you, Master Conjurer. Taking the long White Oak wand, Mat turns it over in his hands, examining it from tip to handle. It's much larger and more unwieldy than his 11.5" Rowan, but it should do just fine. Is this your boy's bonded item? Mat asks while studying the wand.
    Spoiler
    Show
    17 inch (Huge wand!) White Oak Wand of Summon Monster I. Spellcraft check to determine charges left:(1d20+10)[26]

After examining the wand, Mat sheathes it in his vest. I actually came down here to challenge your son for a different reason. He and his two cronies over there have been whoring in the Coins and casting Color Spray at the poor proprietor without settling their bill. They owe the man upwards of 50 gold measures! I didn't learn about them harassing this lad until I arrived.

27. - Top - End - #57

MonkGuy

Duhyren laughs, saying "No, my boy carries a toad in his pocket. He isn't the strongest of thinkers, and I fear that our money has caused him to think he is more powerful than he is. And if what you say is true, then I will have to march him down to the coins right now and deal with this myself. Thank you kind....Mathwin was it? Are you here for the entrance exams?"

Spoiler: Wand
    Show
    Mat is able to confirm there are 5 charges left in the Summon Monster 1 wand.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat adjusts his hat. Bloody wand's nearly spent. Ah well, can't win 'em all.

Yes, m'lord. Mathwin Lora, of Taldor. Thank you for settling the matter in the Coins. You will want to find the proprietor of The Broken Wrench Cellar. Kantoe is the man. As for the entrance exams, I trained at the Academy in Varisia most recently, so I hadn't planned on applying to the Arcanamirium, no. I find that living the life of a sellspell is suiting me very well for the time being. I do highly recommend Vox though, sir. He's a first rate Wizard and trained with me at the Academy. You couldn't ask for a better apprentice, if you were looking for one, m'lord.
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2015-08-21 at 02:11 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

MonkGuy

Duhyren smiles at your recommendation. "That is very appreciated. I leave you then, but I'm sure I will see you again. Thank you, and I will tell this Kantoe of your acts." He bows deeply, then grab Loto by the collar and drags him out of the school.

The school looks to be restarting up classes from midday, so students are heading into the building. Not a cloud in the sky, waking up with a hot tempered woman, won a duel and a new wand, it's already been a good day for Mathwin.
    Last edited by Leomor; 2015-08-21 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Color

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As the Master Conjurer leaves, Mat winks at Vox if he can find him. Smiling, he walks out of the Wise Quarter while whistling a jaunty tune.

Looking for a meat pie street vendor to grab lunch on the way, Mat wants to check the Town Square job postings. Knowing full well that most of the good jobs are already taken, he'll take what he can get.