New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 621222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Ale, Fortune and Math

The next morning comes slowly for Mat. His mind constantly analyzing all his questions and worries, he doesn't sleep quite as well as he would have hoped before a large journey, but he awakens with plenty of time to prepare for the his day. Looking out his window once more for the morning glow in the city, Mat takes a moment to admire the quiet glow of the sunset upon the city.

Mat makes his way downstairs, and is greeted by a full breakfast, to his great surprise! Oparra must have woken early to prepare for his departure. Hilardo, whoms parents are most likely already working, sets some warm sausage on the table, then quickly looks at Mat as he walks down. Slightly startled, he says in a soft but excited voice, "Mistress, he's awake!"

Mistress Oparra comes in the living area, wearing one of her nicer aprons and holding some freshly churned butter. "Oh, I thought we had more time!" She brushes off her apron of dust and crumbs and hold back her emotions, "We wanted to have a nice meal before you left, I don't know how my little heart is going to take you leaving!" She fauns, "Maybe I'll forget about you, and have to find a strong man to keep me company from now on!" She pouts while continuing to set the table with Pan fried potatoes, ham and honey for the bread.

Bill pokes his head from the outside window, and quietly brays towards Mat, most likely smelling the foods inside the house.

Hilardo continues to help, stating cheerfully, "Don't worry Mistress, I'll keep helping you!" He nudges some of the honey from the bowl, and spills it on the ground. Pretending not to smile, he says, "Don't worry, I'll clean it up!" He takes a deep breath, and musters his thoughts, and is able to wipe away the honey with a quick incantation and a wave of his hands. He looks right towards Mat for approval.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat's smile breaks wide on his face. This is exactly what he needed to take his mind off things.

May looks at the spell Hilardo used with mock academic rigor. His eyes glow amber as he examines the kid's work.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eyes of the Augur. Spellcraft inspection of the spell used.
    Spellcraft: (1d20+22)[30]

3. - Top - End - #903

MonkGuy

Mat's eye flash, and without even a second of looking his spell, he can tell exactly what Hilardo is using.

Spoiler: Check
    Show
    Hilardo is using Prestidigation.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat strokes his beard and nods sagely with overemphasized dramaticism. "A perfectly executed Prestidigitation. Very impressive . . . very impressive indeed. But next time, spill water. Less expensive than honey." Mat can't contain it any longer. A grin cracks at the corner of his mouth. "Expertly done, Hilardo. I wager by the time I get back to the Wastrel, you'll be a fully fledged apprentice Wizard. And you'll be ready for my gift . . ."

Mat draws a plain Rowan wand from his sleeve. It's battered, weathered, and well loved. "This is my wand. It's simple, and wasn't made by any master craftsman, but it works. If, when I return, you have kept up with your studies, obeyed the Mistress of the house and your parents to their satisfaction, and taken good care of Bill . . ." Mat pauses for effect.

"I will make you your first wand, free of charge. It will contain any spell of your choosing. It will be made of the finest materials. And I will make it with pride."

Mat grips the boy's shoulder affectionately, and turns his amber-eyed gaze to Mistress Oparra. Smiling, he rises and affects his most courtly bow. He takes her hand and kisses the inside of her wrist, a most affectionate and trusting gesture. Kissing the back of the hand is for prim ladies. Kissing the lifeblood denotes true affection.

"My Lady, you have been the kindest and most gracious host this humble Lordling could ask for. I will return to the Wastrel, but until I do, you will be in my mind and heart nightly. I have a small parting gift for you as well." Mat then shows his landlady the Ink of Stolen Secrets, and teaches her how to use the clever magic contained within. "Although the temptation may be great to use these for conversation, I must impress upon you the limited nature of this magic. You have only this single page to write to me. I will return in two month's time with a windfall that would make you blush were I to reveal the sum. Please, use this to convey only the most important messages. If you need any additional monetary aide while I am away, please let me know. I will work with the Church of Abadar to ensure that you, Hilardo and his family, and the Wastrel remain afloat while I am away."

Mat then motions to the table and serves his landlady before helping himself to a generous portion of the hearty meal.
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2018-10-23 at 09:48 AM.

5. - Top - End - #905

MonkGuy

Hilardo's eyes glean at Mat's present. The promise of a wand for such a beginner is a mighty prize for the young boy. Mat can see an entire story flash through his mind, he's dreamed of something like this happening to him everyday of his life. To come from small beginnings and be offered so much, for seemingly so little, Hilardo cannot help to contain his emotions and embraces Mat. He assures you that he will not let Mat down, and that he will train hard everyday. He runs out and bows to Bill, before preparing him for the trip to the docks.

The Mistress of the Wandering Wastrel wears her emotions on her sleeveless sleeve, and soaks up Mat's humble, yet flirtatious goodbye. Mat can see that she wants to hug Mat goodbye, but she tries to compose herself from breaking down. As Mat shows her the parchment and method of communication, he can sense a load of responsibility and caution coming from her. The stress that this should not be used for common conversation sees to but her on edge regarding the possibilities that this could be used for, but she seems to understand how important this is to Mat, and humbly accepts. She places the parchment in her room, for safe keeping.

The meal engulfs Mat, and the time for Mat to leave approaches quickly. Oparra and Hilardo have understood Mat's instructions and have no further questions. There are tears as Mat prepares to leave, but they remain strong that they will see Mat soon.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat makes his way to the docks, waving goodbye to the Wandering Wastrel and the little family he found there. He leads Bill and Hilardo, walking quick enough to make it to the Darryl in a respectable amount of time, but slowly enough to take in the sights, sounds, and smells of Absalom once before his departure. The City at the Center of the World. His home for these far too short years.

7. - Top - End - #907

MonkGuy

Mat's walk through the city is too short. The early morning sounds are far too familiar. His senses are elevated to remember the smell of morning dew of the wooden houses thought Eastgate. The soft noises of the 2 cities:the one that wakes early and works an honest living, and the latter that works at night, maybe living a truer life. Walking through the Coins, Mat finally sees the blue sky, and the shining sun in the sky. Mat feels the warmth of the heat on the wet mud underneath his feet, and the cool shadow of each house he passes. Bill walks close to Mat, nuzzling his arm every so often, hoping for a pet. Being an extremely intuitive creature, Bill certainly knows that Mat is leaving for a time, and wishes him a safe journey, in his own way.

The busy docks don't wait for Mat's pre-nostalgia. So many ships seem to be preparing to leave this mourning, no doubt finally having waited for decent weather. The smell of sea salt hits Mat and gives him energy to begin his journey. Making their way through the docks, Mat, Hilardo, and Bill finally make their way to The Daryl. Sailors bringing boxes onto the ship, and unfurling the sails, the ship is a beauty. Mat ears hear a-soon-to-be-even-more-familiar voice, "Mathwin Lora! Right on time!" An exuberantly excited Dayrl leaps down from the ship to greet Mat. A firm handshake later, he looks towards Bill and Hilardo, "And who are these handsome friends you bring? Mathwin, you did not tell me you have such a strong son! Why, he is the splitting image of you!" Hilardo looks confused, as some sailors help him start to bring Mat's gear onto the ship, into his private quarters.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat affectionately strokes Bill's muzzle as he walks through his city. He's going to miss the mule, and looks forward to their reunification when he returns.

When he arrives at the Daryll, Mat greets his blood brother with a hearty handshake, grasping forearms in the Varisian style. "Well met, blood brother! Were that I so lucky as to have sired a son as talented and resourceful as Hilardo, here. Nay, he is the steward of my gracious landlady and, if he keeps his studies up, a fledgling apprentice Wizard of some strength." Mat says the last part a little louder so that it carries to Hilardo while he unloads Bill. "He comes to help me with my luggage and see me off."

"But pray, why wait? Our journey will be time enough to catch up with pleasantries. Please, introduce me to my Captain so that I might offer him my fealty and services as an honorbound Evoker of Taldor. Then, perhaps, my crewmates?"

9. - Top - End - #909

MonkGuy

As Mat greets the owner of The Dayrl, a short but stout dwarf walks down the plank of the ship, and as both feet land on the dock, Mat hears a loud laugh, in an obvious attempt to attract the attention of his group. He walks towards Mat with his long beard floating on his bald head, side to side. His orange eyes burn bright for a dwarf, but his attitude seem right on the money.

"We'll, it looks like our Battle mage 'as arrived. A lot skinnier than I thought!" A hardy chuckles and generous but intruding smile break his attempt at an icebreaker. "Lorgum Oakenfoot, your Captain for this voyage. Now, I expect you to behave on this ship, don't go burning it down or blasting away my sails now!" His smile is wide, but his question seems more loaded, awaiting a response.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat doffs his hat and bows with a flourish. "Captain Oakenfoot. Mathwin of the House Lora, at you service. And I'll do my level best not to burn down such a lovely vessel. I promise, all my fire will be directed . . . offdeck." Mat adopts a smirk, leaving the Captain with the unspoken rest of the sentence. I'll blast apart any ship you point me at, Captain, if the coin's good enough.

11. - Top - End - #911

MonkGuy

The brazen Dwarf looks deep into Mat's eyes, and breaks the silence with a grin. "Good lad, you found a proper Gentle-Wizard, ya did Dayrl." Dayrl gestures strongly towards Mat, "He is one of the finest duelists in the city, he will certainly be able to make sure our trip goes as quickly and without issue as possible!" The Captain's eyebrows raise high towards Dayrl's praise, "Well I guess our evoker would like to meet to crew and be taken to his quarters. Hyatt! Cort!" He whistles at the men bringing a barrel onto the ship. The first, a man with long, bright red hair, comes towards Mat and introduces himself as Hyatt. "A pleasure to help, m'lord." A second older bald man limps towards the captain, saying "You don't hav'ta yell captain, we can hears ya."

They begin helping Mat with his luggage, as the captain calls out, "Sumina! Come 'spain our rules to our wizard 'ere!" Mat's eyes turn toward the ship, and is slightly blinded by the sun, but as his eyes adjust, a vision of beauty walks down from the ship. Long, blond hair, and tanned skin shape her face; only to accentuate her slightly pointed ears and blue eyes. A silver rapier at her side, she walks towards Mat, with unimpressed yet beautiful eyes. "Greetings. Sumina. I'm the quartermaster if this ship. I'll show you to your room. You'll be sharing with the boatswain." She grabs one of Mat's sacks and begins walking up the ship.

------

This ship is bustling with preparations for their departure. The sweet salt air on the freshly sunny sea provides Mat with the inspiration for a smile. Two men, Morgan and Richard, looking extremely similar, bark orders at the sailors. "Wallace! Get those sail tied tight! Dane put that bottle down and get the hell back to scrubbing the poop deck!" "Rickward, get your ass back to checking the rudders! Knox! That anchor knot better work this time!" The two men smile and nod as Mat walks past them, as the men getting ordered roll their eyes at the twins.

Sumina enters one of the smaller cabins, "I know you were expecting your own room, but we're full on this trip, and you're going to have to share it with Stanwick. He's nice, a little...extra, but isn't a bother." As Mat enters the port-side cabin, it isn't as bad as it could be. The room has just enough space for two, and a small desk for reading. Mat has to squeeze as other bring his belongings into the room. "Now, rules of the Dayrl: 1st, mind your business. You stick your nose in other peoples business, you open yourself to the same. Next, you steal, you clean chamber pots till we reach port, then your off the ship. Good luck getting back to the city. We're all on this ship together, you make it hard for anyone else, it'll just be as hard for you. And since your the 'wizard', your wand is ours for the best interest of the ship. You make this trip easier, and you'll have the crews thanks. Any questions?"

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat has several, but decides to play things slowly for now and only ask the most pressing.

"I'm happy to be aboard, Sumina. I understand and respect the rules. I have several very important magical effects necessary for me to do my work. May I protect them from theft or molestation with magic? If someone were to rifle through my belongings, they'd have a . . . let's just say they'd have a very bad day. Would that break your rules?"
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2018-11-04 at 09:02 PM.

13. - Top - End - #913

MonkGuy

A stern look towards Mat with her gleaming eyes, "If you catch anyone stealing on this boat, then they are mine to deal with. How you catch the bandit is up to you, as long as it doesn't damage this boat."

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat holds his hands up in mock surrender. "I would never deprive you to the satisfaction of your duty. I promise not to harm the Daryl beyond my ability to mend her." Mat tosses his backpack upon his bed and takes a seat upon his sea chest.

"So, you're the quartermaster. I can come to you if I need anything while aboard?" He flashes his best roguish grin.
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2018-11-04 at 09:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Retcon to after Sumina explains the rules.

"I was promised a private cabin in the negotiation of my contract with Daryl. I understand the need to conserve space, but I have delicate and dangerous magic to perform while aboard. In order to be the wizard you all need, I need peace, quiet, and solitude. How will this 'extra' Boatswain factor into that?"

16. - Top - End - #916

MonkGuy

Sumina rolls her eyes at the promise of a private cabin. "That oaf, I told him specifically to change that damned posting after he kept 'finding' positions for this trip. This is the only cabin not claimed, unless you want to sleep below desk with the rest of the sailors. Sorry about that."

"As for the Boastswain, Stanwick, you've lucked out. Very easy going, yet hard worker. Worst part is he will talk your ear off with every story he can think to tell. But he understand 'no' and 'shutup', which I've said on more than one occasion. He thinks a lot of himself, but he's an honest man, and good at his work. He sailed here with me and the crew. Is the private cabin going to be a problem?"

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat chews his lip in frustration. "I'll make do, but I may take up a compensation re-negotiation with Daryl to make up for the breach of contract. It's a harder job if I don't have my own space. Harder jobs deserve better pay."

Mat thanks Sumina for her help and heads with her out onto the main deck to get a lay of his charge. "If I'm the battlemage for this ship, then she's mine to protect. I need to know what I can do to supplement her defenses. I won't have some two-bit Okeno slaver pluck us out of the water because I wasn't prepared. Who's the Master at Arms? What's the ship's complement?"

18. - Top - End - #918

MonkGuy

Mat approaches Dayrl, unloading the last of gear onto the ship. "Ah Mat, I hope you've settled in and said goodbye to the land for awhile! But soon you'll say hello to the adventures of the sea!" His enthusiasm is palpable, as the ship makes final preparations for sea.

-------

Sumina nods at Mat's eagerness to protect the ship; and his life. "The ship is geared with 4 large cannons, with an adjustable harpoon at the front. More than enough for a ship as small as this one, in the captains opinion. We don't plan to encounter many pirates or resistance, but then again if we do, that's why your here. We've haven't heard any troubling reports from our contacts in the south. If you have more questions, Lash, our Carpenter and Master-at-Arms would be more than happy to advise you on them. She'll be below deck preparing."

As Mat make his way below, He is impressed with the cleanliness of the ship. Everything is well maintained, and the sea salt air smells fresh and pure. As Mat calls out for the Master-at-Arms, he jumps as a heavy voice comes from behind a door. "WHAT THE F**K DO YA WANT?" As the Mat is greeted by a aggressive Half-Orc female with dirty blonde hair and large rippling muscles, he pauses every so slightly, adjusting his demeanor to discuss the ship with her.

-----

Lorgum's booming voice is heard throughout the ship, "Say your goodbye ladies and gents! We're pulling up anchor soon!" Bill and Hilardo wait off ship, awaiting a last goodbye from Mat.

As Mat comes to the deck, he passes by a gentleman with deep blue skin, he says, "Pardon me, sir." He seems to be balancing navigation compass's and insturments with many orbs of liquids attached to a belt on his hip. He is followed by a pale, blond male, carrying a lute, and a stack of books in his other arm. They both walk towards the cabins Mat will be staying in.

Another booming call from the captain, "Last call!!"

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Leomor View Post
    Mat approaches Dayrl, unloading the last of gear onto the ship. "Ah Mat, I hope you've settled in and said goodbye to the land for awhile! But soon you'll say hello to the adventures of the sea!" His enthusiasm is palpable, as the ship makes final preparations for sea.
    Mat smiles with closed lips at his employer. "Daryl. Blood Brother. I do, indeed, look forward to the adventures of the sea with you and your crew, but we need to talk about the arrangements you've made for me. I was promised a private cabin. I now find that I am rooming with the Boatswain. My wizardry will be considerably more difficult to perform with a roommate. I won't have the quiet space to craft useful items or learn new spells. You'll be stuck with what I can manage to prepare based upon what I already know. This makes the job considerably harder than what I signed up for. A harder job demands more pay, wouldn't you agree? I think a reevaluation of my fee is in order."

-------

Sumina nods at Mat's eagerness to protect the ship; and his life. "The ship is geared with 4 large cannons, with an adjustable harpoon at the front. More than enough for a ship as small as this one, in the captains opinion. We don't plan to encounter many pirates or resistance, but then again if we do, that's why your here. We've haven't heard any troubling reports from our contacts in the south. If you have more questions, Lash, our Carpenter and Master-at-Arms would be more than happy to advise you on them. She'll be below deck preparing."

As Mat make his way below, He is impressed with the cleanliness of the ship. Everything is well maintained, and the sea salt air smells fresh and pure. As Mat calls out for the Master-at-Arms, he jumps as a heavy voice comes from behind a door. "WHAT THE F**K DO YA WANT?" As the Mat is greeted by a aggressive Half-Orc female with dirty blonde hair and large rippling muscles, he pauses every so slightly, adjusting his demeanor to discuss the ship with her.
    Mat has had few dealings with half-orcs. They are a rarity in the wizarding community. He has, however, met half-orc shop keepers. They always negotiate from a position of strength and tend to value blunt words and actions. Mat hardens his face slightly and discards his usual air of Taldan aristocratic courtesy. "Oi! Lash! I'm the battlemage they've hired to help you keep this boat above the bloody surf. Mathwin, but you can call me Mat. Run me through the defenses and who and what I'll be working with. I have the ability to mend some pretty significant damage if you need it, but I don't plan on letting anyone get close enough to get into firing range. You have a chain of command for a battle? Where does your resident fireball-flinger fit in? You let me know what your tactics usually involve and I'll tell you what I can do to help."

-----

Lorgum's booming voice is heard throughout the ship, "Say your goodbye ladies and gents! We're pulling up anchor soon!" Bill and Hilardo wait off ship, awaiting a last goodbye from Mat.

As Mat comes to the deck, he passes by a gentleman with deep blue skin, he says, "Pardon me, sir." He seems to be balancing navigation compass's and insturments with many orbs of liquids attached to a belt on his hip. He is followed by a pale, blond male, carrying a lute, and a stack of books in his other arm. They both walk towards the cabins Mat will be staying in.
    Mat affects a small nod of the head. "Thank the gods, a few more men of learning. Mathwin Lora, hired battlemage on this ship. And you two are . . .?"

Another booming call from the captain, "Last call!!"
    Mat heads up to the deck to wave to Hilardo and Bill. He makes sure to send a gold measure into the boy's palm via a carefully controlled Mage Hand spell. "Keep up your studies. Listen to the landlady. And take care of Bill. Remember what we talked about. I'll expect you ready for your apprenticeship by the time I return!"

20. - Top - End - #920

MonkGuy

Dayrl's face contemplates Mat's counter. He's eyes begin to show signs of dramatic worry, "Sir Lora, I apologize! I didn't not know that you would require such privacy for your work! I certainly understand how important it is, and I would hate to upset you as our journey begins! Let me check with the Stanwick, see if we could come to some sort of arrangement. Maybe he would prefer to stay with his men below, as to keep a better eye on them." Dayrl begins to make his way towards Mat's cabin, hoping to right this wrong.

---

Mat's assertive nature doesn't seem to phase Lash. Her face stays in the same aggressive shape that is was. After a brief standoff-of-a-second, she looks Mat directly in his eyes, and a steam of air releases from her nose. "I'm the boss of the cannons and harpoon. Sumi and The Captain are my bosses. You keep me from using my cannons, we're good. You fix my cannons? We're good. You're not my boss. Got it?" Her stern expression doesn't seem one of anger, but orc-pride. Having dealt with some half-orcs before, he knows stepping too much into her tactics and plans might require careful footing.

----

The two men seem somewhat hurried and rushed as they walk towards their cabins, The male Undine says in a gentle but well-mannered tone, "I am Radid, the ship's Sailing Master and healer. Apologies, I must make my way to my cabin before we set sail. It is nice to meet you, Mathwin." He continues down the hall. The blond man sets down his lute and shakes Mat's hand, "Stanwick Jett. Greetings friend. I am the ships boastswain, in charge of the mates and sailors on this ship. It's good to have an set of arcane hands on this ship. And a champion set of hands at that. I will say that I won a little bit of coin off you in the dueling arena, so for that you have my thanks. It was a pleasure watching you duel. But I also must make my way to my cabin." He begins to head down towards Mat's cabin as his handsome smile crosses his bold, yet smooth cheekbones.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dayrl's face contemplates Mat's counter. He's eyes begin to show signs of dramatic worry, "Sir Lora, I apologize! I didn't not know that you would require such privacy for your work! I certainly understand how important it is, and I would hate to upset you as our journey begins! Let me check with the Stanwick, see if we could come to some sort of arrangement. Maybe he would prefer to stay with his men below, as to keep a better eye on them." Dayrl begins to make his way towards Mat's cabin, hoping to right this wrong.
    Mat grabs Daryl's tree-trunk sized arm and holds him back. "No need for that, blood brother. I'd rather not stir up resentment on my first day. I have quite a journey full of violence ahead of me, and I'd not make the goodwill of the crew my first casualty. I just wanted you to know and hear my concern. I will make things work for now."

---

Mat's assertive nature doesn't seem to phase Lash. Her face stays in the same aggressive shape that is was. After a brief standoff-of-a-second, she looks Mat directly in his eyes, and a steam of air releases from her nose. "I'm the boss of the cannons and harpoon. Sumi and The Captain are my bosses. You keep me from using my cannons, we're good. You fix my cannons? We're good. You're not my boss. Got it?" Her stern expression doesn't seem one of anger, but orc-pride. Having dealt with some half-orcs before, he knows stepping too much into her tactics and plans might require careful footing.
    Mat maintains a respectful posture of strength. He's not intimidating the woman, but he wants to keep a strong personality up to show he that he is just as devoted to the safety of her boat. "Got it. We're good. Where's the powder store? Want to make sure I don't fling any fire near that and douse that first in case of fire."
    ----

The two men seem somewhat hurried and rushed as they walk towards their cabins, The male Undine says in a gentle but well-mannered tone, "I am Radid, the ship's Sailing Master and healer. Apologies, I must make my way to my cabin before we set sail. It is nice to meet you, Mathwin." He continues down the hall. The blond man sets down his lute and shakes Mat's hand, "Stanwick Jett. Greetings friend. I am the ships boastswain, in charge of the mates and sailors on this ship. It's good to have an set of arcane hands on this ship. And a champion set of hands at that. I will say that I won a little bit of coin off you in the dueling arena, so for that you have my thanks. It was a pleasure watching you duel. But I also must make my way to my cabin." He begins to head down towards Mat's cabin as his handsome smile crosses his bold, yet smooth cheekbones.
    Mat smiles and nods to the Sailing Master and Healer, letting him get on his way. Upon meeting his roommate, Mat's anxieties alleviate slightly. "Master Jett! Let me help you with your things, for your cabin is mine. We're apparently sharing the space."

22. - Top - End - #922

MonkGuy

Having received temporary amends from Dayrl, getting aggressively pointed towards the powder store, and cramply walked his fellow crew towards is room, Mat feels exhausted from the day, barely even begun! Yet something about the pending adventure fills him excitement, enough to power him through any encounter.

As Mat walks back onto the main Deck, Mat sees Dayrl shaking hands with the Portmaster. Walking him down to the city, he hears the portmaster state, "Everything seems to be in order my good old friend! You should have a straight passage out towards the Inner sea!" Daryl laughs in excitement, "Thank you my great friend! I will surely owe you a night of stories and drink when I return! Give my greeting and thanks to the wife!" They shake hands, and the Portmaster exits, walking back to land.

------

The breeze is calm, the smell of salt on his nose, Mat walks back to land one final time for awhile. He finds Hilardo and Bill waiting with heavy eyes. Hilardo is sad, but excited already Mat return, tears swelling behind strong eyes. A gentle toss of the hair and reminder of his duties and prize, affirms the boy. Bill nuzzles under Mat's arm, uncharacteristically. Bill is smart, and knows that he won't see his friend for awhile. A lick and nibble on his's hand tells Mat more than he could ever tell Bill.

He boards the ship, with heavy foot. Men are running and finalizing the ship, the Captain is screaming orders and men are panting with excitement and exhaustion. But Mat doesn't hear any of it; all he can hear are the sounds of the city. This grand city. No doubt it will change when Mat returns. No doubt Mat will change when he returns. Mat wonders if each other will be ready for the others return. A smirk on his face, Mat waves goodbye to the city, and looks towards the open sea, for an adventure encompassing every meaning of the word.

The anchor drawn, the crew aboard, and the the though of land behind, the Captain yells with the height of excitement in his voice, "Watch out, the Dayrl is comin' for ya! Release the sails!" Large ivory sails drop and catch the breeze in no time. Mat excited, pulls out his beautifully crafted wands, and points it towards the sail in excitement, announcing his excitement in a jovial laugh. His wands stirs the slight breeze into a large gust, moving the Dayrl out of the dock, and onto the Inner Sea, heading towards their first adventure: Niswan.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat stays on the deck for a while, sheathing his wand and enjoying the breeze. He finds a quiet corner of the deck and sits atop some barrels, lighting his pipe and smoking some of his fresh Taldan leaf.

He makes sure to stay out of people's way, but observes the crew. He sees who is friendly with whom. Sees who is issuing orders. Who is most skilled at what job. Additionally, if anyone looks like they need help, he either pitches in if able, or files the knowledge away for potential crafting later.

If he sees Sumina, he makes sure to talk to her. He's interested by the woman, and would enjoy getting to know her better.

24. - Top - End - #924

MonkGuy

The first day on the sea is always the easiest. But Mat knows that sometimes the body can take some time to adjust to the sea.

Spoiler: Check
    Show
    Make a constitution check.

The crew always has a lot to do, full of energy, and excited for the voyage. None of them seems particularity interested in Mat, mainly because of their duties and jobs. Many of the crew works below ship, but today many are moving on all decks, finalizing the ship, and making small changes here and there. Mat has already been introduced to the crew, and is already starting to put names to faces.

Mat observes his fellow crew mates as they move around the ship. He notices Rickward and Knox carrying a large barrel from the top of the ship down to the bottom, having some particular trouble with he weight of it. Standing atop the crows nest, Mat can barely make out through the sun, a entranced Radid, staring towards their path on the sea, writing something in a journal. Sumina is walking around the ship with Morgan, checking the tightness of the ropes, knots and other tasks. Both Dayrl and the Captain seem to be in their quarters. Many of the crew are below deck, no doubt taking part in their duties.

Spoiler: Encounters
    Show
    Mat has enough time for 2 encounters for today. He may choose one to start.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Fort Save:(1d20+2)[17]

Mat sees Rickward and Knox struggling with the heavy barrel and follows them below-decks, but not before grabbing a ceramic jug from his footlocker.

26. - Top - End - #926

MonkGuy

The sea is no worry for Mat's stomach, he is able to calibrate himself very well on the new seas.

Following the 2 men below ship, Mat's demeanor raises the eyebrow of both men, yet they continue to carry their heavy load into the ships cellar.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hooking the ceramic jug on his belt, Mat offers to help the men carry their burden.

"Oi, lads, lemme help. Bloody strange this barrel weighing as much as it does, yeah? What you fancy is in it?"

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat looks at the barrel. He looks at the items around and on him.

Heavy barrel. Too heavy for two built deckhands. Too heavy for a soft-handed Taldane gentleman wizard. No, like in all things, I need to cheat.

He thinks. Then, he casts a very useful little spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knw Engineering to figure out the physics shortcut to make this easier. Then, I cast Conjurer's Toolbelt to give myself the mechanical advantage I need. That may be as simple as a small board on rolling casters or as complex as you need to tell the scene.

Knw Engineering: (1d20+8)[21]

29. - Top - End - #929

MonkGuy

Mat summons the craziest ideas in the back of his mind, but cannot find a simpler solution than rolling caster. It appears in his hands and he rushes to stop the men from their heavy grip. As he instructs them to lay it down, both men greet his tools with snide remarks. "Oy, get out me way you bloke!", yells Knox.

Yet Mat implores them to listen to him, and after setting it down on the casters, the weight holds and they are able to move it much quicker. Knox seems unimpressed, but thankful to Mat's help. Rickward says, "Didn't want to dirty your hands wizard?" his tone is condescending, and attempts to be intimidating.

----

Mat smiles and lets the insult roll off him. These men seem to think he's a dandy. Well, maybe not a dandy, but certainly some kind of nobleman. Wel, ok, maybe he is a nobleman. But he still knows how to move a bloody barrel.

"I was hoping to make things a might smoother for everyone, lads, calm down. Not saying you can't do it. Gods know I was watching you do it just fine. But I like to work smarter, not harder. And, if we do it this way, we can save some time and share a cup or two of this before the officers are any the wiser."

Mat holds up the jug and shakes the liquid contents inside.

"What do you say?"

---

Their smug looks drop at the sign on the jug. He seem like a noble, but a noble with free drink is any man's friend. They look around, shifty like, but cannot resist the scent of hopefully fine drink.

Knox break the silence and says in a hushed tone, "Yea, alright. You seem like a decent fellow." The word hangs on his tongue like a dagger. Rickward shuffles over quietly, hoping for a drink too.

--

Mat also looks around to make sure the coast is clear before popping the cork off the gallon ceramic jug. The smell of sweet, Absalom Applejack is a symphony to the senses. Mat takes the first swig, as both an implicit symbol of trust and reassurance that the contents aren't poisoned, and a thickly veiled subconscious assertion of dominance. This is my booze. I'm sharing it with you because I want to. Not because I have to.

"Actually, I try to remain indecent as often as possible. Usually in the company of a lovely girl," Mat says with a roguish grin. He then hands the jug to Knox and Rickward.

"So," he says as the jug is passed around. "What's in the barrel?"

---

The quality of the liquor is wastes on these men. However the spice and sweetness of the flavor, and strength of the proof appear more in their eyes than through their words. Certainly words of admiration enough, yet Rickward says softly, "Thanks." Looking towards the barrel, Rickward says, "Don't know for sure, we thought it was ale! it certainly full of water, but it doesn't really smell like anything. We think its the fishy guys stuff." Knox looks disgruntled, "Who the **** brings water onto a ship? Stupid ****. there ain't even a spout to take a sip from! Probably just keeping it all for em'self."

A loud voice from the deck catches the men off guard, "I better not catch anyone sleeping down there!" Knox catches himself, "****in Morgan!" The men head upstairs after their call, Knox giving Mat a side eye, while Rickward gives a nod to him.
    Last edited by Leomor; 2018-12-04 at 08:50 PM.

30. - Top - End - #930

MonkGuy

As Mat watches the men leave, he notices Sumina come down under the deck, checking some of the wooden joints, most likely for structural integrity.

Mat also hears the sharpening of blades coming from Lash's quarters. His ears also hear the faint melody of someone singing above deck, but is unable to place who it is.