New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Ale, Fortune and Math

Interesting. Very interesting. Mat thinks about the barrel. Perhaps later that'll warrant a little more investigation.

Mat looks at Sumina and smirks. For now, that warrants a little more investigation. He walks over to the Quartermaster and asks her how she feels the vessel is faring so far. He want's to know more about her, not the bloody boat, but he's got a long journey ahead. No need to rush things.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Sumina's eyes run deep looking over the ship. She's inspecting every grain of the wood, looking for cracks, weakness and deterioration. Mat walks over with a gentle voice, yet she doesn't stop her gaze regarding her work. After a few seconds, she speaks to Mat, still entranced with examination, "She is a strong ship. A lot of good lumber was chosen to build her. She will remain strong as long as those aboard do their job and keep her safe." Her jab meets Mat with the soft, deepness of her voice. She turns to him, "Have you traveled the Inner Sea and dealt with it's dangers?"

3. - Top - End - #933
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat doesn't take his eyes off the woman. "No, I haven't, but I'm looking forward to the adventure. I imagine she has a lot of lessons to teach . . ."

Mat smiles his most debonair grin. "You know, I won't let anything happen to her. I may not be an accomplished sailor yet, but I take care of my charges. Gods willing, you won't need to see it, but if we do get into trouble, you'll know I speak truth."

4. - Top - End - #934

MonkGuy

Sumina seems neutral towards Mat honest answer, but she also doesn't seem offended. She nods her head, her eyes still on her work and says, "We'll see." She continues down the corridor, checking off things in her mental list.

The day has been long and hard on the crew. The first day at sea is a tough one. As the sun begin to set, the crew begins to make preparation for the night seas. The sea seems quiet and calm. Mat has just enough time for research tonight, and his room is currently empty.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat makes his way back to his bunk and conjures magical lights to read by. Before falling asleep, he studies one of his scrolls to learn the magic inside. He remembers buying these scrolls for use during his Hippogriff egg hunting mission, but is glad to still have them rolled securely in his scroll case. He learns one and casts the other before drifting into a dream.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 on my Spellcraft check to learn the spell Alarm from a scroll. Then, casing the second scroll on myself to inform me with a mental alarm if someone tries to touch me (or the letters in my shirt pocket) while I'm sleeping.

6. - Top - End - #936

MonkGuy

Mat, securing himself and his wares, easily falls asleep with the long day, and the rock of the waves.

--------------

The next morning comes early, the sounds of sailors walking around, people yelling orders and normal business on the ship doesn't do too well for sleeping in. As his eyes open, he see's his roommate, Stanwick, awake and reading a book in his bed. As Mat wakes up, the blond haired man looks over, and greets him with a calm quiet voice, "Good morning sunshine. I hope you slept well. I hope I didn't wake you last night coming in. I'm off to grab some morning meal, care to join?"

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat smiles at his roommate. "Happy to! But first, this sellspell needs to prepare for the day ahead. You mind delaying until I've had the time to study my spellbook?"

While he gets dressed, Mat checks his belongings and the letters secreted away on his person.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can Stanwick wait for me to prepare my spells before breakfast?

8. - Top - End - #938

MonkGuy

Stanwick seems more than happy to read a chapter or two while waiting for Mat to prepare his spells.

Mat views his belongings, looking for any lost items in the night and finds them all safe.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As Mat closes his spellbook, he looks up at his roommate with a friendly smile. "So, Stanwick, we never really had a chance to get properly acquainted yesterday. I'd love to hear your story over the breaking of our fast."

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Stanwick closes his book on the way to their morning meal. He smiles at Mat’s query, “We’ll need longer than a meal to tell you my story good sir, but I’d be happy to tell you some of the higher points, and leave the lower points for another day. “I am Stanwick Jett, from Andoran. I am a bard of sorts, searching the world for the words to inspire my next song. I grew up in a wealthy enough family, but wanted to grow beyond the stable households of the city, and see as far as I could beyond the hills! My father, a large lover of music, took me to my first opera when I was a wee lad…” Stanwick continue for most of breakfast, recounting his love of music and sense of adventure. He advises Mat he never sings the same song twice, as once it is preformed, it is perfect the way it was sung. “Puzzling, I know. But I feel the best type of emotion is true and honest ones, and dampened by the gray wash of memory. Alas, I met Daryl in a concert I was performing in, where I managed to win myself out of a measurable amount of debt that I had collected. I ‘danced’ around the men and convinced them that they, in fact, should be paying me! My success was witness my The Dayrl's Owner, and he offered me passage to the ports of the Inner Sea, as long as I kept his men happy at sea, and their thoughts dazzled from anything negative. So here we sit, me looking for the inspiration for my next song,“ A whistle suddenly is heard from the upstairs, instructing all men to report for their daily duties. “And almost late for check in. Now that you have been astonished with my tale, I would love to hear yours as well. Could be the inspiration I was looking for.” He smiles as he ‘floats’ up the stairs, as free as a cloud, not a care in the world.

The shipmates are all assigned their jobs for the day. Sumina explains their tasks, and that they are currently on schedule for Niswan as planned, to make port midday in three days.

Mat smiles and lets Stanwick wax poetical. Another Andoran, he thinks to himself. Wonderful. And a Bard who never sings the same song twice. I suppose he doesn't take requests then . . . ah well. He seems pleasant enough. As Mat sits to breakfast with the rest of the crew he's greeted by a bowl of warm oats with a dash of sugar. Lovely. Well, it's high energy food. I suppose it's what the men will need with all the hauling and . . . I think it's called tacking? Maybe? Stanwick's says something about "the grey wash of memory" as Mat produces a copper tea kettle and two cups. He then fills the kettle with a spoon-and-a-half of Taldan black tea from a leather pouch and some water from his cask in the larder before placing the pot on the heat. In a few short minutes, Mat has a hot cup of Taldan black. He offers the second cup to Stanwick and does him the honor of pouring for his new friend. Mat listens well to Stanwick's story, long-winded as it may be. It's nice to meet new people. After finishing his underwhelming breakfast, Mat cleans his tea dishes and heads up on to the deck. He's in no particular rush.

His job, as far as he can tell, is to enspell the wind every five hours or so to keep the sails full. Well, that and blow any enemy vessels out of the bloody water, but none of that yet.

Mat finds a cozy corner of deck and opens his pack. He checks his communication scroll linked back to its twin in Absalom. He makes sure to keep that missive near the top of his belongings, so he might catch a glimpse of it every so often. He opens his spellbooks and begins to pour over the arcane symbols within. Laying a scroll beside it, he begins to study.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mat is going to learn the spell Secret Coffer after a very quick perusal of his Arcane Workbook for a +2 Spellcraft bonus.

Mat's tea soothes the throat, and works well on the quiet water of the ocean. Checking his scroll, it is as blank as a peasants' mind.

The ship is quiet as Mat studies, and he allows himself plenty of time to absorb the magicks, as to make sure his belongings are as safe as can be.

The sun has moved from the height of the sky and begin its' trek downwards back towards the land.

Mat breaks for a moment, closing his books and surveying the ship, it's mates, and the sea around him. He breathes deeply of the spray and relishes the voyage ahead. If one is available, he partakes in the midday meal before coming back to his perch on deck and starting a new little project.

To Mat's surprise, Knox happens to be a good fisher, and has caught a few yellow Cod for the ship to eat. Some salt and rosemary from Daryl's' personal store makes the meal quite tasty. This ship continuous its quiet bustle, as Stanwick tunes his lute, Sumina talks with the captain in his quarters, and the sharpening of iron can be heard from below the deck.

Mat enjoys the meal with the crew, savoring the fresh-caught cod with salt and rosemary. He thanks Knox for his generosity and suggests the two of them share a glass of something stronger come dinnertime.

After the meal, Mat heads back atop the deck and begins to fiddle with a small, glass bottle. He lets the bottle levitate in front of him as he begins to weave subtle energies into it. He knows fire. Every evoker does. But he's weaving something opposite. Something antithetical. Not frost. But anti-fire. Black and violet flames begin to lick the interior of the glass bottle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mat is going to start crafting a Flask of Ebon Flame. He's taking 10 on his Spellcraft check (total bonus of +14 vs DC20), so it shouldn't be an issue. It will, however, take a full 8 hours to complete, so he'll probably need to break and finish it tomorrow morning.

Many of the crew stare side-eyed at Mat as he works. He is kept in peace though, and it able to get half his work done by supper. The crew gathers below deck to sit, eat, and talk. A few of the sailors share stories about the first day of a voyage being calm. They share with their fellow men and women that it's bad luck for the ship. Worry starts to spread among some of the more gullible sailors as quiet takes over the supper hall.

Mat hears the whispered talk and thinks to himself that this will not do. Not on the first day of a month's long voyage. He stands, raises his cup, and implores the crew to raise a glass to Cayden Cailean before passing out the remaining almost two full gallons of Applejack. Not enough for the entire crew to become significantly impaired, but enough for everyone to get a refill. Then, Mat asks Stanwick for something lively. A Varisian jig or reel ought to do the trick.

While raising a glass to the Accidental God, Mathwin makes a silent vow. He will betray someone sharing his drink with him tonight. Not in a massive or unreasonable way, but a betrayal nonetheless.

The Savored Sting is a jealous matron; and although she often shares company and worshipers with the Lord of the Drink, Mat wants to offer her a small honor even as he honors Cayden Cailean.

Within the week, someone sharing my cups will be brought lower by my hand.

A glass falls from the festivities. All members of the room turn towards to glass, followed by a second of silence. Dayrl, Lorgum, Sumina, Radid, Stanwick, Morgan, Richard, Hyatt, Knox, Rickward, Cort and Zane look around at each other for a second. The silence is broken by Sumina, "There you all go. The first days no longer boring!" The crew laughs as they finish the drink, in honor of Mat's generosity.

11. - Top - End - #941

MonkGuy

Mat smiles and downs the rest of his glass before kicking the shards of broken cup into the black sea below. He ponders and plots while the crew drinks and listens to Stanwick's performance.

Dayrl, the owner of the vessel and my Blood Brother. Still, he reneged upon his word to me. Perhaps . . .

Lorgum, the Captain. Dwarves have long memories and hold fast to slights. And the ship can't well carry on with the Captain in a state due to a betrayal, no matter how small. Perhaps not the wisest application of my sacrifice.

Sumina, the Quartermaster. The one woman aboard who I might have any real, physical connection with. I think I would rather explore Calistria's other gifts with her, rather than the aspect of the sting.

Radid, the Sailing Master and Navigator. Strange though he is, and curious with his carry-on, I think he may be too important to the mission to waste. Perhaps not.

Stanwick, the Boatswain and my roommate. They say not to shyte where you eat. And his morale boost the the crew may be vital to success. He will remain in the Lady's good graces. For now.

Morgan & Richard Gregory, the Mates. Harsh. Powerful. If I take vengeance or betrayal upon one, I may well invoke the wrath of the other. Still, they present themselves as tempting targets that may be due to be taken down a peg.

Hyatt. The man I know so very little about. He called me "m'lord" when I arrived on the ship. That kind of unprompted pleasantry on a seasoned sailor usually belies a poisonous set of fangs. Perhaps an alliance, but not a betrayal. Not yet.

Knox & Rickward, the men I helped earlier and shared a drink with. They could be valuable allies if groomed correctly. And they look like they know how to handle themselves in a fight. They shall remain unstung.

Cort. Another mystery. He seemed hung-over, verging on insubordinate when the Captain ordered him to bring my belongings aboard. Perhaps he's dues for his comeuppance?

And finally, Zane. Young lad. Impressionable. Naive. An easy target. But easy targets make for weak sacrifices. My Lady would be more pleased with a more impressive betrayal. No. Zane is safe for the time being.

Mat packs a bowl of tobacco into his pipe and makes his choice. The Brothers Gregory. Either one or both shall feel the Lady's lash before week's end. Mat needn't rush his offering to his matron. He'll take his time. Look for an opening. And strike when he can escape clean and inflict the proper dose of sting.

Mat brews himself a single cup of tea before heading to bed. This tea is special, however, and he uses a precise measurement to dose himself. The Desna's Star will leave him feeling refreshed and ready far earlier in the morning than he would otherwise. Perhaps he'll be able to finish his project before the morning's breakfast.

The happy wizard has a spring in his step as he heads to his bunk. He once again casts an alarm spell on himself before laying down, hoping to use the rudimentary spell for the last time. On the morrow, he shall store his letters in a more secure location. For now, alarming himself will have to do.

12. - Top - End - #942

MonkGuy

This early morning brings decent rain fall to the voyage. Not so much to rally the waves, but enough that a heighten eye is required of the crew. Mat spell is certainly making a noticeable difference, with Radid mentioning a steady pace towards their destination to the Captain. The Captain and Radid nod to Mat, playfully suggesting for him to "keep it up."

The brothers Morgan keep a tight eye on the ship and it's upkeepings. Morgan pulls Zane, Hyatt and Cort to re-tie knots and tighten rope they had done minutes ago. It reminds them all loudly, "When one rope loosens, it is enough for an entire ship to fall into the sea. We must remain vigilant and not let her down." The men are in good spirits from the night prior, but struck back to reality with the mates strong voice.

Knox is swabbing the deck, when Richard comes and grabs the mop out of his hands. Without a word, he moves the mop on the ships deck in a circular motion, with a brow that states a heavy critique. He tosses the mop back to Knox, and heads to the Captian's quarters.

Spoiler: Check
    Show
    Mat has time to work on his item, then make a perception check.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat wakes and checks his belongings. Checks his "cargo" and studies his spellbook. Then, he pulls out the glass vial filled with black and violet flames. He bolsters them. Infuses them with more and more energy. Finally, when he's confident in the mixtures stability and potency, he seals the lid with a whisper of magic.

He makes his way onto the deck where he observes the harsh treatment the mates dole out.

He looks and listens around, casting his senses to the sea and the wind.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+7)[12]

14. - Top - End - #944

MonkGuy

Show
    DM Check (1d20+4)[8]

15. - Top - End - #945

MonkGuy

The rain falls on the ship and the quiet morning washes over the crew. Yet the hair on the back of Mat's neck start to stand on edge. Something isnt right. His eyes show no signs of danger, so he closes his eyes. The rain pelts the wooden ship, the mast flaps in the wind, and the crew can be heard talking and working.

But Mat hears something else, something like heavy cloth dragging across a wooden board. But the sound is...wavy? Consistent? The sound is hard to place, but still Mat's senses are peaked.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat doesn't take any chances. Swirling tattoos on his arms begin to glow with amber light as he summons magical lanterns to streak across the deck and over the bow. His eyes blaze with that same amber radiance. He plants his staff firmly on the deck of the ship. "Look lively lads! Anyone else hear that! Lookout! What do you see?!" Mat call to the crew loudly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using my Varisian Tattoo to cast Dancing Lights to help illuminate anything skulking over the bow.

17. - Top - End - #947

MonkGuy

The crew jumps to arms as soon as they hear Mat's cry. Sumina brow is heavy with caution as Mat make a claim out of seemingly nowhere. She pulls her think sword from her side, and yell, "At arms men!"

From the sides of the boat, a large slither is heard on the wood of the ship. After the call to arms, a large snake like creature snarls, then rears it head from the port side of the side and hisses loudly at the crew, before attempting to take Sumina into the water with it's large fangs!

Spoiler: Initative
    Show
    Roll for initiative.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[6]

19. - Top - End - #949

MonkGuy

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    (1d20+1)[11]
    (1d20+3)[4]
    (1d20+2)[19]
    (1d20+2)[20]
    (1d20+1)[20]
    (1d20)[4]

(1d20+4)[16]
    (1d20+4)[20]

20. - Top - End - #950

MonkGuy

Mat's warning readied the crew enough so they weren't caught by surprise, but the large sea snake puts most men at awe. Richard is the first the pull out a weapon. He hold a small device in his hand, a western device known as a pistol. He points it towards the snake and fire a loud blast. The monster recoils, but seems to not be hurt from the attack. Both Hyatt and Dane grab axes, and cut the flesh of the monster, spreading blood and slime over the deck. Sumina pulls out her rapier and begins to stab towards the creature with impeccable aim, deal quite a bit of damage to the large beast.

From the starboard side, the crews neck snap quickly when they hear the dreaded sound of another beast slithering up the other side of the boat! The men separate into 2 teams, fighting each monster with all their might. The port monster takes a bite out of Wallace, driving its fangs into his leg. He screams in pain, but is able to slash it away with a flick of his sword. The other monster attempts to grab Sumina with it's quick tail, but a newly shirtless Dayrl is able to grab the tail mid-air, and prevent the constriction from happening.

The battle just begun, and Mat carefully assess the field, before making his move.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat looks to the portside serpent. He levels his staff at the beast and shouts words of arcane power. Five massive amber globes of energy fire from the end of the staff, weaving around Mat's shipmates to strike unerringly at the serpent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mat uses his Staff of Minor Arcana to cast Magic Missile at the portside serpent. He deals (5d4+7)[19] force damage (CL9, Intense Spell +2 dmg).

22. - Top - End - #952

MonkGuy

The crews neck snap back to the port side. None of them thought that the cannon would be ready and aimed so quickly. They are somewhat perplexed to see Mat fire not one, but five incredible canon towards the serpentine creature. Scales fall to the sea as the blast leaves the monster screeching in pain. It looks severely damaged, but its viscous nature continues fighting.

The men continue dodging blows, as Stanwick jumps out from the cabin, lute in hand, screaming "Fight for your lives! Send these snakes back to Gozreh!" His hands raises to the sky, and he begins to play an upbeat song, making Mat and the crew feels the encouragement to fight harder!

The crew continues fighting hard! Richard is still quick to the draw, but unable to catch the beast in its wiggling mess. Hyatt also is unable to strike, but Dane is able to catch a gash on it, and tear the wound open more with his axe. The monster begins to recoil back into the sea, as Sumina quickly attempts to throw a knife from her back pocket. With luck, it manages to pierce the eye of the beast, and in a large crackles, the snake falls back into sea, creating a large wave behind it. The other serpent becomes enraged, hissing loudly, as its eyes flash towards some of the crew.

Spoiler: Save
    Show
    Mat must make a fortitude save.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat stares down the serpent, letting Stanwick's magical music fill his heart.

Spoiler
    Show
    Boy I hope I'm getting a bonus to this . . .
    Fort Save: [roll]1d20+2[/roll

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's try that again.
    Fort: (1d20+2)[3]

25. - Top - End - #955

MonkGuy

The Sea Snakes gaze catches Mat's eyes dead on. It's eyes widen ever so slightly, and Mat feels as a sort of venom runs through his body, even without it's touch. His stomach turns, as it feels like it is rotting from the inside. He falls to his knees as he tries not to throw up and tries and stabilize himself.

Spoiler: Damage
    Show
    (Mat takes 3 con damage, and falls prone.)

Knox, Hyatt and Richard also seem struck with this gaze too, but are able to keep on their feet.

Daryl knocks his fists together with a mighty roar, rears back and flies his fist towards the snakes belly, shoving his fist directly into it. The large beast begins to shake and convulse for a second, before failing onto the starboard side of the ship, in some sort of paralysis. The weight of the creature pulls the ship down, casing all the crew to grab on to the railing, or fall towards the starboard side on the ship. Gregory cannot catch his feet, and falls toward the fallen side of the ship, hitting a cannon on his way down. Mat, currently prone, falls towards Gregory, also falling on the cannon.

Spoiler: Damage
    Show
    (Mat takes 1 point of falling damage.)

The ship slightly stabilizes as the crew regains their footing. The snakes shakes on the deck, attempting to break out of its paralysis. The waves crash against the boat, as the snakes body continues to weigh the ship down slightly.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    (Mat's turn. He is currently prone, 10 feet from the paralyzed Snake, who looks mildly damaged. The ship is currently difficult terrain for the purposes of movement only.)
    Last edited by Leomor; 2019-01-03 at 03:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat's insides are on fire. He writhes in pain on the deck of the rocking Darryl.

Slowly rising to one knee, then to another, he stretches out his hand. This time, he drawn on his own power, not that of his staff. He forms not cannon balls, but concentrated marbles of amber energy at each fingertip. Hollow-point rounds meant to mushroom and destroy flesh. He fires them with a pained scream, sending them at the paralyzed serpent.

Spoiler
    Show
    There's no penalty to cast from prone, but I don't want to be easy pickings once his paralysis wears off. I stand as a move action. Casting Magic Missile again (above description is flavor/cosmetic only). Using my own spell slot.
    (5d4+7)[19] force damage

27. - Top - End - #957

MonkGuy

Mat's magical rage pierces the skin of this monster like a sword through skin. It's been awhile since he has felt the rage of fighting for his life. His eyes follow his missiles as the drive into the beast, but his heart skips a beat when the monsters eyes turn toward Mat. With the same fury as Mat in it's eye, the Talden man see's the thought process of this creature, as it formulates its attack. Yet, out of seemingly nowhere, Daryl leaps from the Mast he seemingly jumped from, and straddles the beast neck to the deck of the ship. His muscles rippling in the rain, he screams "Send this beast back to the pits it came from!" Like lighting, Sumina cracks across the ship and sends her foil into the eye of the creature. The silence strikes the crew, stunning them quietly. The beast remains still.

Spoiler: Result
    Show
    Combat is over. Mat is victorious!

28. - Top - End - #958

MonkGuy

Mat standing makes his eyes roll and stomach turn, the snake gaze seems to still be affecting him.

Spoiler: Save
    Show
    Mat must make a fortitude save.

------------------

The crew begins to push the sea serpent off the ship, since it is weighing the ship down to the starboard side. They are able to make good headway when Radid runs to the creature, "Wait please! Just a second! I would have it for my experiment." He begins examining the un-pierced eye of the snake, eventually cutting out the pupil of the creature. Stanwick sarcastically says, "Does anyone else want a piece of the beast while it's being served?"

Show
    Mat is entitled to a perception check. DC is (1d20+1)[14] .

--------------------

Dayrl, Sumina, and Lorgum are all checking the crew and the ship for damage. The Daryl has light damage, nothing the crew cannot fix in the next few days, and Mat is advised that the ship should sail normally, with no interruption. Sumina check on Hyatt, seemingly hurt from the attack. She orders Radid to take a look at him, which he does promptly. Daryl and Lorgum come to Mat to express their gratitude, and great thanks for warning the crew of this danger. The ask for Mat to continue his spell casting for an expedited journey.

-------

Richard and Gregory begin to order the rest of the crew in snapped fingers to begin repairs immediately. Their tone is sharp and unforgiving as the crew begin it's work.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat does his best to keep his footing as the venom runs through his veins. As he does, he does his best to get the attention of the healers nearby.

"This venom . . . it's . . . it's still in me."

Spoiler
    Show
    Fort Save (1d20+1)[15]

----------

Mat looks to the serpent, and to Radid. Certainly something on the beast may prove useful in his crafting. Still, it's odd that the navigator was so quick to the eyeball.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception DC14: (1d20+7)[25]

30. - Top - End - #960

MonkGuy

Mat is able to peer off the side of the ship a vomit. Afterwards, he feel a lot better, yet still not 100%.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Mat has cured his Black Rot.

------
    Looking over the serpent, everyone seems to follow Radid with questioning eyes as he walks away with the beasts pupil. Mat, however, is able to see as Knox very quietly snaps one of the large fangs off the snake. He pockets it even faster, staring at Radid, hoping none would notice.

The beast itself does not appear to have any obvious functions for Mat's crafting. Lash walks up from below deck, guts on her face, and yells "2 Boalisks aren't enough for my ship! I took her from below while you weaklings waited." Her incorrectness doesn't bother Mat, as many play off the half-orcs aggresive nature.