New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Ale, Fortune and Math

The test always brings out the best and worst of the city. I wonder if I'll ever be powerful . . . or drunk enough to take it. Well, not today. Mat walks up to the magical display, always intrigued by new magics in the city. He tries to identify whatever spells the man is using.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft: (1d20+12)[32]

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

After taking the time to find a good spot to watch, Mat is able to maneuver himself directly in front of the seller. He watches the man, certainly a Halfling, jump, flip and amaze the audience with tricks of acrobatics mixed with slight magical pyrotechnics.

“COME ONE COME ALL!” the Halfling shouts. “My name is Gregory! And I am here to tell you to be part of the craze that’s taking over not just Absolom, but the world! See something you’ve never seen before! I have traveled the world, walked the large deserts of Osirion, I have see the Five King Mountain and met a lovely mermaid in dreaded Eye of Abendego! All of those journeys have lead me here to you today! I give you, “Gathering Golarion!” Gregory snaps his fingers, and Mat can see 6 glyphs of lights explode, as the magician sends one Snapdragon Firework high into the air. The crowd sheers, and seemingly out of nowhere, a large table appears behind Gregory, with stacks of envelopes behind him. (Mathwin can tell this was an invisibility spell, but this man is certainly going all out on his presentation.)

“I bring to you today, a form of trading that has never been seen in the likes of this city.” He picks up one of the envelopes, “Each of these envelopes holds five unique cards. Each of these cards is a place, person or maybe even a god! Collect them all! Trade with friends, sell for a profit or even give as the perfect gift! Supplies are limited, so get them now! I promise that you will never see something like this for years and years to come. These are the first ever made, only the people of Copperwood have these right now, and tomorrow, I’m on a boat to Almas to sell to them! Get them while they’re hot! Each “pack” costs 5 gold pieces! While I may run out today, check your local stores soon to see if they will be selling them! Come and get it!”

As Gregory finishes his presentation, the crowd rushes forward. Being a somewhat profitable district, many people are eager to buy the newest coolest things. You spot a point in the line where you could jump in if you reacted quickly.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Smiling at the showman, Mat begins to lead Bill back to his stables, still keeping a very close eye on his purse strings. "People will buy dung if you tell them it's rare," he remembers his father saying.

4. - Top - End - #154

MonkGuy

Mathwin is able to make it back to his stable in good time, the sun is still high, with plenty of day left. He is able to drop Bill off, where Hilardo grabs the reins and will feed and water him. He is very lucky to have found this place, with such good people.

Walking around the coins, he is able to find a few peddlers of leathers. Silk seems to be a rarer material to find already woven in the city. It’s usually imported from other continents in strong form, and usually built to order, which would take up most of his budget. However, Mat is able to find a nice long black tunic made from bear hide, with green etchings along the weaves. Since spring has just begun, many businesses are just getting their more exotic imports in.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat decides to forgo new clothes and looks for a bite to eat at a tavern or restaurant, hoping to while the day away in drink and merriment until he's ready to head out into the night for his secret rendezvous.

6. - Top - End - #156

MonkGuy

Travelling south in the city, you find you way closer and closer to the docks. The air smells salty, but you know just the place to go for the evening.

You approach the Mystic bottle Inn, which you have frequented many times. The building is very large on the bottom, and it gets thinner around the top, with a nice suite on the very top, which gets a nice view of the ocean.

Walking inside, it seems quiet for now, but this place does good business at night. You see a sign that says, "Elvish warrior dance tonight!", promoting tonight’s entertainment. You sit at a table in the corner and Steph, the owner greets you. "Hello Mat, always good to see ya. Looks like you've had a good day, you always get that look when you get paid." Steph is always been straightforward and to the point, yet very easy to talk to. She is pretty strong, and usually acts as her own bouncer, but this alehouse doesn't usually see that kind of action. "What can I do ya for?"

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Smiling up at Steph, Mat nods. "I did indeed get paid today, Steph. And I'm planning on staying here until an appointment I have later. Would you mind bringing me a nice tankard of mead and a plate of whatever you've got roasting in the back?"

Mat enjoys relaxing and people-watching, especially in Absalom. The folk here are so odd and always look like they have good stories. Mat scans the tavern and looks for any interesting individuals . . . or beautiful girls.

8. - Top - End - #158

MonkGuy

Steph nods, and walks back to behind the counter and into the back room. The room is pretty empty so far, only a few older men talking of taxes and their unhappy marriages. After a few minutes, Steph walks back out with a mug full of ale. As you smell, she mentions it has a hint of ginger, and as you taste you agree that the ale is great springtime ale. You are then served a slice of roasted duck with a potato. It's a wonderful meal as you survey the room for somehting of interest.

Spoiler: Check
    Show
    Make a perception check.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception Check:(1d20)[3]

10. - Top - End - #160

MonkGuy

As the night progresses, the Inn becomes more and more crowded with people coming to drink, and see the show. The crowd is obstructing Mat's view from his table, but the dance seems to be 2 female elvish warriors balancing on swords and posing in aggressive stances, while wearing some revealing clothing. The customers are usually men with this kind of show, never a good time to pick up women. Usually when a band or non-female performer is on stage, there is at least a few women who frequent the show. Mat seems to get lost in the crowd, looking for something interesting, pretty, or hopefully both.

Unable to find something that quenches his desires, the night starts to grow, and Mat can see out the window the Moon starting to reach it's height in the sky.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat stands and pays Steph, moving out into the night towards the rendezvous point. On the way, he pulls out Luca's Birch Wand of Sleep from his vest. Hopefully, he won't need it, but he wants to be prepared for an ambush.

12. - Top - End - #162

MonkGuy

Paying 5sp for the food and ale, Mat prepares for his rendezvous. Walking through Absolom at night is a different experience than during the day. The quiet you hear is something you’d never expect from such a busy city. However, Mat is heading towards the Puddles, which can be the most scary part of the town. Ever since the earthquake drop this part of the city below sea level, it has become a place of shady business, criminals and the homeless. Ever on the lookout, Mat checks his back and sides constantly for anything that he doesn’t like.

As you walk closer to where Alehouse #2 is, you begin to recognize the area, and know exactly where you are. The strip of “houses” are run down, or have bars on the doors, hoping to keep people out.

As you turn the corner, you see a man, looking quite drunk and dirty, walking towards you. As he comes within about 10 feet of you, he pulls a knife on you, but drops it in the process, dropping to his knees to try and pick it up.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Not letting the man get a second chance, Mat levels the Birch wand and fires a blast of silver white energy at him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mat uses his Birch wand of Sleep. The drunk man needs to make a Will save DC11.

14. - Top - End - #164

MonkGuy

Spoiler: Will Save
    Show
    Will save: (1d20-1)[1]

15. - Top - End - #165

MonkGuy

Mat pulls the wands out, already in hand, and whips a mighty bubble at the drunk. The bubble is so quick, it whips the drunk off his feet and knocks him straight to the ground. You look around to see if anyone noticed your casting, and to make sure anyone won't see your looting you rewards.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat rummages through the pockets of his would-be assailant, looking for anything that might be interesting or valuable.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception:(1d20)[6]

17. - Top - End - #167

MonkGuy

Looking through the pockets, you can't help but hold your breath due to the smell the drunk is giving off. You smell the familiar smell of ale and mud, never a good combination.

You find a 8 silver pieces, silver ring and a envelope. Upon further inspection, the envelope looks exactly like the one you found in your pocket at the Guild hall.
    Last edited by Leomor; 2015-09-24 at 10:20 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Aw, what in the nine . . .?" Mat starts saying under his breath. Pocketing the ring and coins, he opens the letter and reads.
    Spoiler
    Show
    How many sp?

19. - Top - End - #169

MonkGuy

Mat opens the letter, and sees a small string, about 1 foot long inside. As he move the string aside, he reads the words:

Obtain ’Gregor’s Tome of Obedience’ at the Arcanamirium. Do not read it. Wrap the string around it, do not break it afterwards. Return it to Innkeeper at Alehouse #2. Consider this your application.

After you read through it a few times, you see the paper start to crumble, as most the paper is lost in the slight breeze. However, the title of the book is still intact.
    Last edited by Leomor; 2015-09-24 at 10:32 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Application?! Application to what?! No payment, no reward?! Confused and troubled, Mat walks over into Alehouse #2 and goes inside if it's still open.

21. - Top - End - #171

MonkGuy

Frustrated, Mat walks down the road. Careful of any other drunk muggers, he holds his wand steady. About a block down, he sees the sign for "Alehouse #2" hanging sidways by a chain. He gazes upon the building and is confused, because the building looks like it hasn't been inhabited in months. The door is closed, windows are broken and the building looks like it could fall at any moment. There is noone he can see inside and hears nothing going around the entire street.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

This place hasn't had an "Innkeeper" in years . . . This is very, very odd. Mat lights a torch and holds it aloft with his left hand. With his right, Mat raises his wand up to eye level, ready to fire at anything startling, and attempts to enter the ramshackle building.

23. - Top - End - #173

MonkGuy

You walk up the stairs to the door, hearing the wood creak loudly with every step. You place your hand on the doorkob, and begin to try and turn it, but it seems to be locked.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Something's . . . not right. Mat casts Detect Magic.

25. - Top - End - #175

MonkGuy

Focusing on the door, he senses nothing magical about any of it. He steps back and examines the house while under his spell. Nothing about the house even remotely has a magical aura. He checks himself to make sure his spell is working, and sure enough he is able to see the auras over his magic items. The door must just be locked.

26. - Top - End - #176

MonkGuy

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Make a perception Check.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    Perception check:(1d20)[13]

28. - Top - End - #178

MonkGuy

Around the corner, you hear a pair of footsteps and two men talking to eachother. They don't sound rambunchious or drunkenly, and seem to be holding a normal conversation, but you can't hear exactly what their saying. The footsteps are approaching the road Alehouse #2 is on.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat quickly douses the torch and draws a scroll from his scroll case. Mat tries hard to find a spot near the Alehouse that will keep him out of sight, but within earshot. Holding the scroll open and ready to read, he prepares to cast the spell if needed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I want to hide.
    Stealth Check:(1d20+2)[3]
    I want to keep an ear and eye on the Alehouse and anyone walking down this road, but I also want to use my scroll of Vanish if I think I might be spotted. It has a low duration, so I don't want to cast it too early and waste it.

30. - Top - End - #180

MonkGuy

Mathwin, trying to hide from the incoming people, attempts to find a spot by the building where he could hide. He runs down the creaky stairs, but as he grabs the banister, the wood breaks and he trips, making a large cracking noise.

Spoiler: Reflex
    Show
    Make a reflex save DC10.