New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Monk Dipping for Druids: A Mini Guide

Can Be found here ,lemme know what you think! Comments, criticisms, praise, rotten tomatoes etc are welcome!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Monk Dipping for Druids: A Mini Guide

It would be nice to see a section about the levels at which a druid can most afford to dip out (e.g. after getting access to a particularly strong spell level). Since the only thing of any significance that you're getting is Wis to AC, you have to weigh that against a level of spellcasting (which might mean that you end the game down one spell level from a single-classed druid).

You're going to need to re-evaluate most of those style feats. Pummeling is the only unarmed-only style that won't be affecting by taking FCT into account.

Dragon Style should be a lot higher than orange. It's probably the strongest style feat in the game if you're taking just the base style and not the others in the chain. Charging through difficult terrain on its own would be awesome, but you can charge through allies with it too. It's especially strong for characters who already have pounce (e.g. natural-attack druids).

It would be nice if you assessed the style feats in the context of a fighty druid, too, because of course a casty druid isn't going to want any of them, and the sea of red and orange with the real ratings hidden next to each feat's name is kind of distracting.

You refer to Shark Shaman and Wolf Shaman as Shark Domain and Wolf Domain.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2015-08-24 at 12:46 AM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    It would be nice to see a section about the levels at which a druid can most afford to dip out (e.g. after getting access to a particularly strong spell level). Since the only thing of any significance that you're getting is Wis to AC, you have to weigh that against a level of spellcasting (which might mean that you end the game down one spell level from a single-classed druid).
    That is a fantastic point, and really a fundemental aspect of dipping. I was debating on how to address the alignment restrictions as well-as druids can only take monk levels being LN, but a monk can become nonlawful and retain powers. If the game does not go to 20, you are correct in saying you would be without access to X level spells. And melee druids who already have beast shape can do more with a monk level then having to wait etc etc. I will review the spells and class abilities and update.

You're going to need to re-evaluate most of those style feats. Pummeling is the only unarmed-only style that won't be affecting by taking FCT into account.
    Requiring weapon focus and another feat to make some of the wild shapes usable with style feats won't make them godlike, but I suppose they can at least be made more viable in this fashion.

Dragon Style should be a lot higher than orange. It's probably the strongest style feat in the game if you're taking just the base style and not the others in the chain. Charging through difficult terrain on its own would be awesome, but you can charge through allies with it too. It's especially strong for characters who already have pounce (e.g. natural-attack druids).
    It is only orange for caster druids, who don't really charge, but you are right that it should be at least green for pounce druids.

It would be nice if you assessed the style feats in the context of a fighty druid, too, because of course a casty druid isn't going to want any of them, and the sea of red and orange with the real ratings hidden next to each feat's name is kind of distracting.
    I agree, and I know having the second rating next to red is probably not the best way. However, some of the style feats are incredibly useful for a casting heavy druid. Perhaps only rate the feats that are relevant to the melee druid with the melee druid rating and leave off the casting druid rating? I am open to suggestions here.

You refer to Shark Shaman and Wolf Shaman as Shark Domain and Wolf Domain.
    Typos fixed!
    Last edited by Geddy2112; 2015-08-24 at 01:16 AM.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Geddy2112 View Post
    A bigger hit dice
    You are a d6 hit die
    Wut. Regular monk and druid both have d8. Unchained monk has d10.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
    Wut. Regular monk and druid both have d8. Unchained monk has d10.
    Derp. Fixed!
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I question the assertion that casting druids are all put to get more out of a monk dip than fighty druids. That said, I definitely think that for the combat styles section, the main rating should be for SotB druids. If caster druids can make use of them, then maybe a special callout in the description.

Also, why the hate on Dragon Ferocity? +50% STR damage on all attacks? I agree that Dragon Roar doesn't have much going for it, but still.
    Last edited by ghanjrho; 2015-08-24 at 07:47 AM.