Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default A quick question about Paladins and Fear

Are Paladins immune to the actual emotion fear, or just to spells, effects and the like which cause fear?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: A quick question about Paladins and Fear

They're immune to all fear effects. Emotions aren't a game mechanic, you can't have immunity to them.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

5E Class: Spellsword

5E Spells: Alternate Damage Cantrips

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not according to the rules. I guess that would be up to the player and the DM as to whether real fear is a "fear effect" or not.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Like said, just fear effects.

Though for me I've always thought it better for Paladins to get a big bonus to saving from fear at 2nd level and only become entirely immune at around 10th.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've never known someone to roleplay a Paladin that felt fear. Though presumably, you could. It just doesn't fit into the archetype.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've had people roleplay paladins that are very afraid or fearful but they don't let it stop them from doing whatever they need to do.

7. - Top - End - #7

I've actually had a friend RP a very effective "coward" paladin. The rest of the party were kick-down-the-door, kill-the-monster-and-take-the-lewt types who rarely used any strategy beyond "don't get in the way of the wizards blasts." The Pally (of Wee Jas, the weirdest thing I had ever heard of, but technically legal) was a very resoned, cautious type, RPed good int and high wis well, and was always carful about the fights he picked with monsters.

"No point in attempting to clense those who will prevent future clensing!"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    I've never known someone to roleplay a Paladin that felt fear.
    Depends how you define fear.

Personally, I can't see how a paladin can be effective without a certain type of fear. I mean, why would you fight evil, if you weren't afraid of its effects?
    The Future just aint what it used to be.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

I believe the spirit of that little ability is that paladins do not suffer the negative effects of fear effects. They can still feel fear, but they don't allow their fears to prevent them from doing what needs to be done.

My interpretation isn't completely RAW, but emotions aren't listed in the SRD. Besides, it isn't like I'm changing the game effects via my reading.
    D&D: Libra Edition
    An update to the core 3.5 system

Currently posted
    Barbarian (Updated- Table completed)

Coming soon...
    Bard

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Paladins are immune to fear. That doesn't mean they don't reach conclusions they would otherwise, such as "That dragon could tear me in half. Maybe I should try diplomacy before screaming and charging."
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, task mage

STFUitP

11. - Top - End - #11

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    Depends how you define fear.

Personally, I can't see how a paladin can be effective without a certain type of fear. I mean, why would you fight evil, if you weren't afraid of its effects?
    Because your god told you to fight them. Paladins might be the most straightforward class, other than barbarians (Thog kill things because they're there)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

I've seen paladins that have quite alot of personal fear, but are either brave enough to just go ahead anyways or transmute the fear into something a bit more useful in combat, anger. The brave ones are just pretty damn panicky when it comes to certain things, for example, his village of his youth could have been plagued by giant spiders or something, so whenever he sees large arachnids in the the game, the character might act jumpy and disgusted at seeing the things, but that wouldnt stop him from attacking them though.
    If you want to play 3.5 with a stupid teenager in Rockville MD, PM me.

EDIT: PLEASE DEAR GOD SOMEONE PLAY WITH ME. I'M SO ALONE.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like Tarkahn's interpretation. It's not that they aren't afraid, they just don't go running around in a panic or start cowering like a lesser man might when confronted with a fear effect. Instead, their divine resolve allows them to steel themselves and fight on regardless. I suppose that's also what happens when you pass a will save (minus the divine part, then it's just regular resolve), it's just the Pallys get to pass every time out of sheer absolute devotion to doing the work of their god/cause/whatever. Nothing can get them down so long as they have their faith.

After all, Paladins are stereotypically brave, and isn't that what bravery is? Not the inability to feel fear, but the ability not to let fear get you down; to carry on thought the way may be fraught with peril and danger.

Or is that stupidity? I get those two mixed up.
    Biophiliac and proud!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm... if they were really immune to fear, would they be able to fear their own gods? 'cause, well, I can see it now:

God: Paladin, I remove all traces of fear from you. Go out and fight evil!

Paladin: Hey, sure thing, God. But first, now that I'm no longer afraid of you, I have a question... could you create a rock so large that you couldn't move it?

God: <.< >.>

God: (*divine smiting*)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2007-05-10 at 10:08 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

This thread just gave me a great character idea. Win!
    Please note that this material is provided for informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or instruction.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah yes, the good old omnipotence paradox. How well would that work in D&D, though? What if the Paladin worshipped a god with, say, creation in his portfolio but nothing about being all-powerfully strong.

Paladin: Hey, sure thing, God. But first, now that I'm no longer afraid of you, I have a question... could you create a rock so large that you couldn't move it?

God: Yes. It falls, you die.
    Biophiliac and proud!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lkki Gallansbayne View Post
    After all, Paladins are stereotypically brave, and isn't that what bravery is? Not the inability to feel fear, but the ability not to let fear get you down; to carry on thought the way may be fraught with peril and danger.

Or is that stupidity? I get those two mixed up.
    If you live through the experience, you were brave. If you die, you were stupid.
    Aelfwyn Trondheim from the Iron Cauldron campaign
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by me in SP-Studio, with help from The GIMP and Inkscape.

~~~~
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Lkki Gallansbayne View Post
    Ah yes, the good old omnipotence paradox. How well would that work in D&D, though? What if the Paladin worshipped a god with, say, creation in his portfolio but nothing about being all-powerfully strong.

God: Yes. It falls, you die.
    WIN

but i'll throw my two coppers in too.

It only grants immunity to fear effects, which i would read as the mechanical effects of becoming overcome with fear. Moving away from mechanics being immune to fear is not going to make an effective champion.

YES i'm level 2 no fear! that great wyrm red dragon needs a good smiting!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    I've never known someone to roleplay a Paladin that felt fear. Though presumably, you could. It just doesn't fit into the archetype.
    I think it fits into the archtype just fine. Paladins are the epitome of courage, so of course they of course feel fear; if they weren't afraid, then doing what they do wouldn't be very courageous, would it? "Courage is the complement of fear. A man who is fearless cannot be courageous. (He is also a fool.)" - it's misquoted in someone's sig as I recall.

mechanically: Fear effects don't work on a paladin.

Roleplaying: You still feel the fear, but your faith and courage are strong enough so that it cannot shake your resolve; there is no hesitation, no weakness, no breaking of your spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by brian c View Post
    Because your god told you to fight them. Paladins might be the most straightforward class, other than barbarians (Thog kill things because they're there)
    That would be a mindless obedient warrior, not a paladin...
    Last edited by Jayabalard; 2007-05-10 at 12:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

I wonder what would happen if you dominated a Paladin and commanded them to be afraid of you? Would that break the spell? Or give them a saving throw since you're asking them to do something against their nature?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tokiko Mima View Post
    I wonder what would happen if you dominated a Paladin and commanded them to be afraid of you? Would that break the spell? Or give them a saving throw since you're asking them to do something against their nature?
    Dominate Person is a separate spell, no fear effect included per se. Also, it would be a definite bonus to the story, the mighty paladin who is forced to know fear for the first time. Any DM worth his salt would go for it, and hang the complaining rules lawyer.

22. - Top - End - #22

How about a suggestion spell, then? Suggest that the Paladin is afraid of everything.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

if you used dominate person or suggestion, sure, they would be afraid... but since they're a paladin they wouldn't give in to that fear.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Interesting side note about Paladins and fear, have any of you read Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarrion trilogy?

Basically the main character is a Paladin who never feels fear until she has a spell cast on her. The healing to remove the spell also removes her inborn immunity to fear and then she pretty much loses all her Paladin abilities. Not because her god stops granting them, but because now whenever she holds a weapon and is forced to fight, even in a practice bout, she panics and freezes up. Of course she later learns to deal with fear and learns important lessons about the common man who has to deal with being afraid.

Back to the discussion at hand. As far as the suggestion spell goes, I don't think any DM should really be allowed to dictate how a player roleplays a character. The DM can say that the Paladin is now afraid of everything, but that doesn't mean that the Paladin turns into a coward. The player can easily say that his character is a little more cautious than before but keeps steadfast in the faith that his God will protect him.
    Last edited by Snooder; 2007-05-10 at 05:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Jayabalard View Post
    if you used dominate person or suggestion, sure, they would be afraid... but since they're a paladin they wouldn't give in to that fear.
    Well, the paradox of this is that the paladin rules doesn't say that they still feel fear and fight through it, they say:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Aura of Courage (Su)
    Beginning at 3rd level, a paladin is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects.

This ability functions while the paladin is conscious, but not if she is unconscious or dead.
    So any form of magical or non-magical fear, explicitly. So using magic to cause fear is something that they are technically immune to, even if it's not in the Necromancy [ Fear ], Enchantment (compulsion) or Illusion (phantasm) subschools.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain."
    -Bene Gesserit saying, Dune by Frank Herbert
    I think that this would make an excellent Paladin(or other resolute warrior) refrain. Plus I just like it as a saying. Paladin's aren't unaffected by fear(like in OotS), but instead overcome it.
    Last edited by MeklorIlavator; 2007-05-10 at 06:42 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2007-05-10 at 07:10 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tokiko Mima View Post
    Well, the paradox of this is that the paladin rules doesn't say that they still feel fear and fight through it, they say:

So any form of magical or non-magical fear, explicitly. So using magic to cause fear is something that they are technically immune to, even if it's not in the Necromancy [ Fear ], Enchantment (compulsion) or Illusion (phantasm) subschools.
    immune is a game mechanics term; it just means that it has no mechanical effect anymore. There's nothing in that that states that the paladin does not feel fear.

I agree with MeklorIlavator, that Dune saying is a great reference point for a paladin; it gives a nice hint for how a paladin might deal with their fear in a strictly roleplay sense.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jayabalard View Post
    That would be a mindless obedient warrior, not a paladin...
    There's a difference? *shot*

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Courage is not the absence of fear but the ability to overcome it.

Someone probably already said that.