New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Scimitar or Shortsword?

Hey Playgrounders,

I am playing a Ranger and I am going to buy a Scimitar, but I saw that it costs 25 gp, it is 3lb, is finesse & light and has 1d6 damage die. The shortsword however is only 10 gp, 2 lb, is ALSO finesse & light and also deals 1d6 damage. Why would someone ever buy a Scimitar above a Shortsword?
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigoAlves
    Once a player almost fell into a trap full of spikes. He asked me "how much damage would a spike do?"
    I said "Instant death"
    Then, he grabbed a spike and used it as a weapon for the rest of the adventure.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Scimitar or Shortsword?

only reasons I can think of is they want slashing over piercing. Or aesthetics.

3. - Top - End - #3

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Atalas View Post
    only reasons I can think of is they want slashing over piercing. Or aesthetics.
    So, you pay 15gp for slashing instead of piercing? Who would do that...
    Also, this link says that there are 4 more creatures with resistance against Piercing damage, but there are 2 more creatures immune to slashing damage(no creature is immune to piercing), so you pay 15gp for the fact that 4 creatures can't resist your damage better but you also take the risk that if you fight against something with Slashing immunity you should switch weapons...
    Last edited by ImSAMazing; 2015-08-22 at 11:13 AM.
    Once a player almost fell into a trap full of spikes. He asked me "how much damage would a spike do?"
    I said "Instant death"

4. - Top - End - #4

BardGuy

I remember in 4e there was a perk that boosted Scimitars. In 5e, I don't really see a point either.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ImSAMazing View Post
    So, you pay 15gp for slashing instead of piercing? Who would do that...
    Also, this link says that there are 4 more creatures with resistance against Piercing damage, but there are 2 more creatures immune to slashing damage(no creature is immune to piercing), so you pay 15gp for the fact that 4 creatures can't resist your damage better but you also take the risk that if you fight against something with Slashing immunity you should switch weapons...
    You're overthinking this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    "Just because the DM lets you break the game, doesn't mean the game is broken."
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    "My Patron is Steven Spielberg"
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    For some reason this feels really fitting; I got a mental image of a bunch of psions setting up a LAN party.

6. - Top - End - #6

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ralanr View Post
    You're overthinking this.
    What do you mean by that?
    I said "Instant death"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

What do you mean by that?
    A.) 15 gp is chump change at anything other than L1, and not always even then
    B.) the difference between slashing and piercing is miniscule
    C.) prices are driven by factors other than game mechanics. Scimitars are a more difficult weapon to produce than a short sword, therefore it costs more.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    B.) the difference between slashing and piercing is miniscule
    C.) prices are driven by factors other than game mechanics. Scimitars are a more difficult weapon to produce than a short sword, therefore it costs more.
    D.) it's really not important

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Weapons aren't balanced on their cost or weight. A trident is heavier, more expensive and a martial weapon, but is equivalent to a spear in all other ways. A mace is more expensive than a quarterstaff and can't be used versatile style. A morning star is more expensive, heavier and does a less efficient damage type than the flail.

Because weight and cash are almost irrelevant in 5e at the costs and weights we have here, they try and roughly simulate the costs and weights and only worry about balancing damage and abilities.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Druids can use scimitars, but not shortswords.

The DMG suggests wealth not too far above starting equipment for levels 1-5. In the interval after that, they can get up to a max of about 500gp leading up to level 10.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HoarsHalberd View Post
    Weapons aren't balanced on their cost or weight. A trident is heavier, more expensive and a martial weapon, but is equivalent to a spear in all other ways.
    That's why a Trident is commonly houseruled to d8/d10 versatile.

A mace is more expensive than a quarterstaff and can't be used versatile style. A morning star is more expensive, heavier and does a less efficient damage type than the flail.
    Reddit discussion that talked about buffing these as well.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Kryx View Post
    That's why a Trident is commonly houseruled to d8/d10 versatile.

Reddit discussion that talked about buffing these as well.
    They don't need rebalancing. Weapon choices are balanced already. Some choices are sub par but that's how the world worked. Nobody took a trident to war when they had a spear to hand. The flail and warpick I can get behind. But, frankly, a sickle and a club should be inferior to a shortsword/scimitar.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

They don't need rebalancing.
    That's your opinion. Many others disagree as evidenced by the number of these threads and the numbers who suggest the houserule as I have.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZenBear View Post
    D.) it's really not important
    We have a winner.
    For some reason this feels really fitting; I got a mental image of a bunch of psions setting up a LAN party.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ah, but a wooden longbow, is easier and cheaper to produce than any sort of steel sword, and yet at 50 gp it's more expensive than any of them except greatsword. (In the real medieval world bows were significantly cheaper than swords, which is part of why they were considered peasant weapons, unsuitable for noble knights.)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

In the "real world", the price of weapons depends on the cost of materials and labor/skill that goes into making it. Anything made of metal, especially an alloy like steel that needs to be manufactured, is going to cost a lot more than something made of wood.
    A spear is much cheaper than a sword to make, it uses a fraction of the metal, although it is just as good at killing people. Crossbows cost significantly more than a normal bow, because they often have steel in the tines and also require more advanced and detailed manufacturing, although a long bow kills someone just as well as a crossbow in most cases.
    You have two choices in the game, one is to balance cost with damage range regardless of realism, which is the standard approach. The other would be to price the weapons more realistically, retaining realistic damage output relative to each other, but give them new properties and requirements which balance them in different ways. A spear is cheaper, but can't be used in confined spaces and might break when facing axes, heavy swords, or maces. A crossbow costs a lot more, but requires almost no training to use it and has a chance to bypass armor at closer ranges.

Scimitars and shortswords should basically be identical in terms of cost, since they are presented as being basically the same size. It isn't really harder to make a scimitar. Only requiring one edge to be sharpened actual makes it a bit easier. As far as I'm concerned, there should be no difference in damage either, the curve or no curve in the blade is something too detailed for D&D to model in combat. They should both be several times the cost of a spear, which itself is significantly above the price of a staff or club.
    Last edited by Thrudd; 2015-08-22 at 02:11 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Ah, but a wooden longbow, is easier and cheaper to produce than any sort of steel sword, and yet at 50 gp it's more expensive than any of them except greatsword. (In the real medieval world bows were significantly cheaper than swords, which is part of why they were considered peasant weapons, unsuitable for noble knights.)
    True. But most villagers fighted with a Sling/CROSSbow not a Longbow. Ranger's Apprentice says that normal Bows aren't produced easily.
    I said "Instant death"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

They don't need rebalancing. Weapon choices are balanced already. Some choices are sub par but that's how the world worked. ...
    This point has more merit than it may seem.

Playing a character you like really makes a big different in an RPG, and that includes flavor choices like weapons. One damage die higher or lower just isn't a big deal, even in terms of raw combat numbers, but a character that seizes your imagination makes all the difference in the world.
    Last edited by Raphite1; 2015-08-22 at 09:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Raphite1 View Post
    This point has more merit than it may seem.

Playing a character you like really makes a big different in an RPG, and that includes flavor choices like weapons. One damage die higher or lower just isn't a big deal, even in terms of raw combat numbers, but a character that seizes your imagination makes all the difference in the world.
    Exactly. Not everything is about optimization. Sometimes I just want to play a dwarf rogue/paladin with a greataxe.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Proficiency. Scimitar is a special weapon in that druids can use it. Gotta pay more for a good blade when you can TURN INTO A DAMN BEAR.
    Sir Ouranos Helaine, The Silver Wing, Paladin of Bahamut
    By Blood And Honor, We Serve.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ouranos View Post
    Proficiency. Scimitar is a special weapon in that druids can use it. Gotta pay more for a good blade when you can TURN INTO A DAMN BEAR.
    It's practically criminal!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

There's also the coolness factor. Scimitars have the whole Arabian Knights thing going, and they're essentially the same as cutlasses, which pirates use. If you're gonna hang with the cool crowd, you've gotta pay for the privilege.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If your party is so consistently broke that you can't buy or otherwise acquire both to use as necessary for the damage types, then you're running into some serious issues.

Also, if you get your choice free at 1st level instead of having starting gold to allocate to supplies yourself, then going with a scimitar over a short sword means that if you eventually sell it upon getting a magic weapon or something, then you earn half of 25 gp instead of half of 10 gp, so that's a marginal advantage.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2015-08-23 at 12:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

24. - Top - End - #24

NecromancerGirl

There's a similar issue with the Glaive and Halberd. Honestly, it feels like they should have given templates rather than actual weapons and let the DM decide on the variable stats. For instance, a Khukuri is going to be heaver than a stiletto, and do slashing damage instead of piercing.

"Knife/Dagger Template - Piercing/Slashing - 1d4 - 5 foot (20/60)- Finesse, Light, may include 'Thrown' property - 1-6GP - 1-3 lb. Examples: Bowie Knife, Khukuri, Switchblade, Stiletto."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    That's not even remotely true in general. High quality bows were generally very nice, very expensive weapons that were either some expensive combination of laminate or very particular parts of very particular trees which were then heavily treated. Meanwhile the price of swords pretty much plummeted throughout the middle ages, and by the time the weapon typically thought of as a longbow was in heavy use (e.g. the Hundred Years War) swords were widely available and not particularly expensive. Closer to 500 CE, swords were vastly more expensive and a lot of the bows around were comparatively cheaper.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

26. - Top - End - #26

DwarfClericGuy

Hey Playgrounders,

I am playing a Ranger and I am going to buy a Scimitar, but I saw that it costs 25 gp, it is 3lb, is finesse & light and has 1d6 damage die. The shortsword however is only 10 gp, 2 lb, is ALSO finesse & light and also deals 1d6 damage. Why would someone ever buy a Scimitar above a Shortsword?
    A druid only got a scimitar. There are more weapons like this. Why would you prefer a trident every above a spear, and nobody gots the trident but not the spear.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey Playgrounders,

Concept trumps all. Scimitars are cooler and thus justify my charging you 15gp extra. It's like a tattoo, do you need really need it? No, but its cool. You win. I can't argue cool. And since you're going two-weapon grab one of each and don't name one Twinkle, because its not cool like Icingdeath.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by djreynolds View Post
    Concept trumps all. Scimitars are cooler and thus justify my charging you 15gp extra. It's like a tattoo, do you need really need it? No, but its cool. You win. I can't argue cool. And since you're going two-weapon grab one of each and don't name one Twinkle, because its not cool like Icingdeath.
    Or sparkle.

I get your reference, I just thought this would be funny.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ralanr View Post
    Or sparkle.

I get your reference, I just thought this would be funny.
    Some guy on this forum or another went to town and bashed twinkle. And it was funny.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by djreynolds View Post
    Some guy on this forum or another went to town and bashed twinkle. And it was funny.
    I wish I could see this.