New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Raziere's Rollicking Red Raging Rant (Random Banter Thread #213)

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    The licence will also authorise me to drive mopeds and tractors, and basically any car or car + trailer combination up to 3500 kilos. You can also only drive vehicles that take up to 9 people, so basically yourself + 8. For more, you need a bus licence.
    That part is fairly standard--my driving licence entitles me to drive those sort of vehicles, even though I learned to drive and passed my test in a normal car. It does sound like the requirements when you're learning are far stricter over there than here, though, good luck!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

redface Re: Raziere's Rollicking Red Raging Rant (Random Banter Thread #213)

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    Wow that's pretty ridiculous, and I thought it was hard to get a license in Quebec... What we do have is pretty crazy zero tolerance for alcohol laws (and that's pretty recent). When I did it you had a temporary permit for the first 2 years after you pass the practical exam and that one has less infraction points and zero tolerance for alcohol, then you got the "real" one that's at .08 ABV. Typically people got the real one at 19 or 20, and that seemed pretty reasonable to me. Now it's zero tolerance until you're 22. Hilariously, my brother was 20 when that law passed and had had his real permit for a few months, so he went from .08 back to zero tolerance.

But mostly it's the expense that's shocking most people pay less than that for their first car, you must not get many young/poor people on the road in Finland right?
    Not sure about the promille levels required for DUI cases when you have a temporary permit, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same as it is in Canadonia until you get your full licence.

For many people it's kinda expected that parents save money for it - or that you save at least part of it yourself with your summer job money etc - and it's a rather common 18th birthday present, but I'm not sure on how it is today in general as it used to cost less like about 5 years ago when I was 18. I'm from a middle class family I suppose but would have not received that kind of a kid as we lived in the Helsinki metropolitan area and you hoonestly don't need a car there, but my grandparents would've and are in fact now paying for it. It's a long term investment, especially if you abide by the law.

Generally I find that people from lower income backrounds, who tend to live in the countryside, are more likely to have a driver's licence... but it's kind of required in the middle of nowhere to have one. I think the high price comes simply from the fact that driving education's main goal is to prevent accident and casualties instead of just giving kids a licence... honestly, the latter is an image that I get when I hear how little professional and supervised teaching they get. I would not trust my parents or anyone from my family sitting beside me telling if I've done wrong or right. That's my opinion on it, and if anyone would argue, go ahead - however I'm not going to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    That part is fairly standard--my driving licence entitles me to drive those sort of vehicles, even though I learned to drive and passed my test in a normal car. It does sound like the requirements when you're learning are far stricter over there than here, though, good luck!
    Yeah. If people who already have a tractor and/or moped licence want to update to a proper driver's licence, it costs about 1000-1500 euros less.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Not sure about the promille levels required for DUI cases when you have a temporary permit, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same as it is in Canadonia until you get your full licence.
    Based on what Google Translate managed to get off Finnish Wikipedia (quite a lot, actually. It worked surprisingly well), Finland has a DUI level of 0.05% and an aggravated DUI level of 0.12%, with no mention of any special cases. For comparison's sake, the levels here in Sweden are 0.02% for DUI and 0.1% for aggravated DUI.

Generally I find that people from lower income backrounds, who tend to live in the countryside, are more likely to have a driver's licence... but it's kind of required in the middle of nowhere to have one. I think the high price comes simply from the fact that driving education's main goal is to prevent accident and casualties instead of just giving kids a licence... honestly, the latter is an image that I get when I hear how little professional and supervised teaching they get. I would not trust my parents or anyone from my family sitting beside me telling if I've done wrong or right. That's my opinion on it, and if anyone would argue, go ahead - however I'm not going to respond.
    Well, the idea isn't that they should be your private teacher as much as a sanity check and a safety measure while you do bulk training on your own (since doing that with a driving school is both expensive and a waste of their competence), but to each their own.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

My parents offered to pay for my driving lessons but my mother was adamant that she couldn't help me practice because she would panic and probably ruin me as a driver.

In fact, now I think about it I'm pretty sure I never got a 17th birthday present because I never took the driving lessons...
    from the game Tales of Aequar: Runite's Rise. Drawn by the DM, CoffeeIncluded

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devmaar View Post
    My parents offered to pay for my driving lessons but my mother was adamant that she couldn't help me practice because she would panic and probably ruin me as a driver.

In fact, now I think about it I'm pretty sure I never got a 17th birthday present because I never took the driving lessons...
    Did you get my PM about sulfur?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I have now responded, sorry about that

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

A tip: There's a 'Request a read receipt for this message' checkbox under the message field when writing a PM. That way you can see directly when a message has been read and won't have to post publicly asking about it.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2015-09-15 at 06:00 PM.

Show

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone messaging me should probably still follow up though, especially if they actually need a response

9. - Top - End - #279

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Based on what Google Translate managed to get off Finnish Wikipedia (quite a lot, actually. It worked surprisingly well), Finland has a DUI level of 0.05% and an aggravated DUI level of 0.12%, with no mention of any special cases.
    Or you could just get the same information from the English Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_...country#Europe

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Or you could just get the same information from the English Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_...country#Europe
    Yeah, but that one didn't attempt to mention special cases, hence why I went to the native one.

Show

11. - Top - End - #281

Help Undertale is too good I forgot to sleep.

The only way you can help is by not searching it on google and instead going on Steam and buying it yourself and experiencing it yourself.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2015-09-16 at 04:16 AM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just recently I decided that I'd love to be able to learn to draw, but I don't know where to start. I want to be able to draw original characters and scenery from varied angles but I just can't seem to find any tutorials on this sort of thing. Could anybody help me out here?

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Just draw everything. Draw chairs and stuff, draw people, draw from pictures and life. Draw what you're interested and what you're not. Figure out what things really look like - rather than go straight to stylized art, figure out realistically how to do it and simplify-it'll look ten times better.

My art thread when I started drawing every day.

What I'm doing now.

I just set myself a challenge to do something every day and post it somewhere where people would hold me accountable if I didn't keep up.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter_d View Post
    Just recently I decided that I'd love to be able to learn to draw, but I don't know where to start. I want to be able to draw original characters and scenery from varied angles but I just can't seem to find any tutorials on this sort of thing. Could anybody help me out here?
    I'm a professional art teacher. So I could potentially help.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Found out today I'm getting a £650 council tax refund. So that's nice.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I'm a professional art teacher. So I could potentially help.
    Whoa! Isn't that For-Profit Advertising?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

Whoa! Isn't that For-Profit Advertising?
    I'm not saying I'm going to charge him or anything of the sort, so no, I'm just saying I could probably help if interested.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

I beat the final boss of Hand of Fate last night. Admittedly, I was playing on Apprentice... but still!
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Banana, chicken. Chicken, banana. Banana chicken. Chicken banana?

You know what my next avatar will be, and yes you are hired for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Devmaar View Post
    Found out today I'm getting a £650 council tax refund. So that's nice.
    I am expecting you to buy pretty much just cheese cake with that money.
    though... that's like a month's rent and more...
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Banana, chicken. Chicken, banana. Banana chicken. Chicken banana?

You know what my next avatar will be, and yes you are hired for the job.
    Hehe. PM with exact details if that's what you want.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Remember: knowing someone's a pervert, and being able (though reluctant) to explain that fact, doesn't make you also a pervert.

This includes being able to figure out why someone laughs every time they hear the word "cake."
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Hehe. PM with exact details if that's what you want.
    I don't know what to PM, since that's the whole thing I'm asking for.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

I am expecting you to buy pretty much just cheese cake with that money.
    though... that's like a month's rent and more...
    That's actually exactly a month's rent. Kingston is not a cheap place to live.

Where would I even go to buy that much cheesecake?

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know what to PM, since that's the whole thing I'm asking for.
    Chicken banana? Banana chicken? Just general bananachickenness?
    Show
    You're my favorite.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

Chicken banana? Banana chicken? Just general bananachickenness?
    I have given you a palette - now paint with it!
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

I have given you a palette - now paint with it!
    For some reason, my mind replaced "palette" with "omelette". It does actually make some warped form of sense...

Show

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    For some reason, my mind replaced "palette" with "omelette". It does actually make some warped form of sense...
    If it's any comfort, painting with eggs is really interesting. Not the easiest texture to work with, but fun.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Heh, I imagine painting with an omelette might be a little challenging.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Heh, I imagine painting with an omelette might be a little challenging.
    Step 1. Acquire an omelette
    Step 2. Put omelette in a blender
    Step 3. ???
    Step 4. PAINT PAINT PAINT PAINT
    Last edited by FinnLassie; 2015-09-17 at 05:38 PM.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

Step 1. Acquire an omelette
    Step 2. Put omelette in a blender
    Step 3. ???
    Step 4. PAINT PAINT PAINT PAINT
    Ah, I was thinking using it as a brush.
    Show
    You're my favorite.