New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Raziere's Rollicking Red Raging Rant (Random Banter Thread #213)

Quote Originally Posted by Aetol View Post
    Well, now I feel stupid.
    Don't, there are many people who SHOULD make you feel stupid because of things they do (if only because of their stupid just kinda rubbing on you), but Enderlord isn't one of them. He's just a goof.

Quote Originally Posted by Eon View Post
    Sounds pretty similar to what I have going on. Though, I will admit, I am not the best at figuring out how an object moves or rotates. I can do it, but it is definitely not one of my strengths. Probably has something to do with me being stubborn enough to try and visualize something when I haven't had an occasion where it wasn't wasted time or effort.

Ah, don't sweat it. I did the exact same thing when I got here, except it was "I'm 12 and what is this?" I believe.
    Man, why are all my friends like this and I hadn't known. Now I feel bad about asking you guys to draw things for me XP. Well, sort of.

Yup that is correct.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds pretty similar to what I have going on. Though, I will admit, I am not the best at figuring out how an object moves or rotates. I can do it, but it is definitely not one of my strengths. Probably has something to do with me being stubborn enough to try and visualize something when I haven't had an occasion where it wasn't wasted time or effort.
    Yeah, I guess that's how it goes when I want to create a mental image. For some, seeing something before their eyes comes naturally, but moving stuff around on their mental image required concentrated effort. For me it's the other way around. Given this manouver, this thing just ends up there without much of an intermediate step.

And that sounds like me attempting art. Sometimes I can manage for things to come out somewhat decently. Just never ask to see something I've painted with watercolors.
    I'm not terrible at art, but I do tend to stick with severely limiting media because those hide most of my deficiencies...

Though I do have to ask about the "think in words", simply because I don't get words in my head as much as like, concepts? I haven't managed to describe it well, so far.
    Mine is easy to explain, as my thoughts are literally me talking to myself inside my head. Not as a dialog, mind you, but more as me talking to a silent listener. When thinking about future/alternate conversations and how they can play out (which is a sort of mental default to me), My thoughts also take on others' voices, but then it's only to play their roles. Daydreaming is pretty much the same as reading a book or playing out a roleplaying session inside my head...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Don't, there are many people who SHOULD make you feel stupid because of things they do (if only because of their stupid just kinda rubbing on you), but Enderlord isn't one of them. He's just a goof.

Man, why are all my friends like this and I hadn't known. Now I feel bad about asking you guys to draw things for me XP. Well, sort of.

Yup that is correct.
    For example, Eon.

Bah, don't worry about that. It just requires a time commitment, and the reason certain things didn't get accomplished is related to other reasons.

I was trying to reassure Aetol, not make him concerned that you would remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Yeah, I guess that's how it goes when I want to create a mental image. For some, seeing something before their eyes comes naturally, but moving stuff around on their mental image required concentrated effort. For me it's the other way around. Given this manouver, this thing just ends up there without much of an intermediate step.

I'm not terrible at art, but I do tend to stick with severely limiting media because those hide most of my deficiencies...

Mine is easy to explain, as my thoughts are literally me talking to myself inside my head. Not as a dialog, mind you, but more as me talking to a silent listener. When thinking about future/alternate conversations and how they can play out (which is a sort of mental default to me), My thoughts also take on others' voices, but then it's only to play their roles. Daydreaming is pretty much the same as reading a book or playing out a roleplaying session inside my head...

Makes sense to me.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply you were. I hope it didn't come across that way. But I do tend to do the same with choosing mediums to be more tolerant.

Oh, that's cool. I can have an internal monologue (I think that is the word I'm looking for) with some effort, but it is more of a series of words rather than a voice. I just tend to talk to myself when I am alone to compensate. Or mumble under my breath. And as a curiosity, with reading books, how does that story go? This is one I can haven't quite figured out how I do it, because I really love reading books but I realized I don't see what is happening, so reading something detail driven gets tiresome because none of it means much yet the storyline and dialogue I can remember and recall very well. I don't know if that is more of me learning to skim descriptions or what.

Sorry, don't mean to swarm with questions.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not "just" a goof, thank you very much... Don't worry, I'm not actually offended.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Hurray my dragon mug finally came!

Heh, I do the same thing if I think anyone's ever going to see something. I draw for a hobby anyway, so.
    But I've found it sometimes fun to try to push boundaries and get better. Of course, I never do and end up trying to hide things I am not happy with in the end anyway or scrapping something entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    It was a piece of writing for an anthology. And, no, unfortunately not. Having the file gone was pretty devastating.
    Awh
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Who pronounces "cat" (meaning the furry animal that says "meow") the same as at least one of those words?

Probably nobody (though I could be wrong.)
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I didn't mean to imply you were. I hope it didn't come across that way. But I do tend to do the same with choosing mediums to be more tolerant.
    You didn't, I just needed something to continue the conversation with, did I not?

Also, I guess I could become quite good if I got more practice, but for that I need a lot of time...

Oh, that's cool. I can have an internal monologue (I think that is the word I'm looking for) with some effort, but it is more of a series of words rather than a voice. I just tend to talk to myself when I am alone to compensate. Or mumble under my breath. And as a curiosity, with reading books, how does that story go? This is one I can haven't quite figured out how I do it, because I really love reading books but I realized I don't see what is happening, so reading something detail driven gets tiresome because none of it means much yet the storyline and dialogue I can remember and recall very well. I don't know if that is more of me learning to skim descriptions or what.
    Well, I can sort of create mental feelings and emotions, so, for example, if something in a book feels awe-inspiring, then I'm filled with awe even if I can't picture it, so I actually enjoy very detailed descriptions...

Sorry, don't mean to swarm with questions.
    And this you say to the guy who just has been going full-form questionaire on jhunter to debug his Firefox...

Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

I am really stressed out right now. I have to see my family.
    Spoiler
    Show
    but my dad will not be there
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I feel like I'm missing a critical piece of context detail here, but good luck?

ION:
    I found a cat purr generator. So cosy and calming to listen to...

Show

10. - Top - End - #220

Spoiler
    Show
    *sends all the hugs* I'm sure you can manage it Finn. Good luck.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

You might want to read her signature...

EDIT: Never mind, she changed it.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2015-09-11 at 02:55 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

I feel like I'm missing a critical piece of context detail here, but good luck?
    Not really keen on adding context, but there is just a lot of hurtful stuff.

Thank you for the hugsies *hugs back*
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

You didn't, I just needed something to continue the conversation with, did I not?

Also, I guess I could become quite good if I got more practice, but for that I need a lot of time...

Well, I can sort of create mental feelings and emotions, so, for example, if something in a book feels awe-inspiring, then I'm filled with awe even if I can't picture it, so I actually enjoy very detailed descriptions...

And this you say to the guy who just has been going full-form questionaire on jhunter to debug his Firefox...
    Ah, alright. I am not the greatest at determining how I sound at times.

Yeah, whenever I sit down to practice for awhile I tend to get distracted or forget.

Okay. That makes sense. I guess I can get the same mental feelings, but more from the events and less from the descriptions.

Ah, fair enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    *Offers hug*

Good luck.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    Hurray my dragon mug finally came!
    You should post a photo.
    Awh
    Let this be a lesson to you all - back up your data! And also maybe wait a little instead of closing the computer immediately after you save it.

15. - Top - End - #225

Thank you for the hugsies *hugs back*
    Any time. If you need someone to talk to I'm here. You're one of my friends, and that means you're important to me!

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Not really keen on adding context, but there is just a lot of hurtful stuff.
    Yeah, I figured, but I didn't want to sound uncaring only because I couldn't figure out what would be appropriate to say in this situation. Because I do care, I'm just tired and confused (it's one of those days)...

Show

17. - Top - End - #227
    Bugbear in the Playground

Regarding art and conceptualizing images in my head:
    I *can* see things in my head, but only briefly. It appears that I lack the attention span, or at least when dealing with visualizations, to actually fully "see" something in my head. Maybe I should work on that; I've always wanted to become an artist.

It was a piece of writing for an anthology. And, no, unfortunately not. Having the file gone was pretty devastating.

But enough about me. What's your website about?
    That sucks. Hopefully you'll go on to write many awesome stories/poems/articles, each better than the last. If you wouldn't mind, maybe you should share some of your work with us.

My paranoia is telling me that I shouldn't give out too many details now, so let's just say that it's a social media site that I think could be very useful.

Yeah, ln creates hard links as well. Don't you even have to supply a flag to create a symbolic one?

Hmm, well, since I've never had any serious performance issues with Firefox ever since I fixed my last problems a little shy of a year ago, I still find it curious. You could try and play around a bit with the Firefox profiler (Shift + F5) and see if you can detect any JavaScript functions which seem to be called all the time. Disabling those scripts through NoScript could be the solution...

Why not do both? I agree that percentages convey impact much better, but they aren't very good for debugging when you don't know what number the percentage is of...
    I feel like I've gotten errors when attempting to hard link to directories. Maybe it's just a safeguard built into the version I was using to prevent the exact thing that happened to me.

Maybe... Now that I delve into the problem more, I'm realizing that it has to do with something else. Every now and then, when my CPU usage gets high, my maximum CPU speed drops drastically. My CPU has a maximum speed of 3.1 GHz, but it has dropped to 1.0 GHz oddly enough just when I need it most. If you want, I can upload a screenshot of Resource Manager showing exactly what the problem is.

That is a good point. I just feel like I could get the exact amounts for debugging by opening up Calculator and multiplying 8 by the percentage listed, or I can only temporarily switch to exact values, instead of using it by default.
    Last edited by Solse; 2015-09-11 at 09:23 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter_d View Post
    Regarding art and conceptualizing images in my head:
    I *can* see things in my head, but only briefly. It appears that I lack the attention span, or at least when dealing with visualizations, to actually fully "see" something in my head. Maybe I should work on that; I've always wanted to become an artist.
    I don't think visualisation is a strict requirement for becoming a good artist, it merely gives you an intuitive entry point. Eon and I could probably become good by honing our sense of right and wrong, and practicing shapes which look right from the start. It's just not quite as intuitive...

I feel like I've gotten errors when attempting to hard link to directories. Maybe it's just a safeguard built into the version I was using to prevent the exact thing that happened to me.
    Perhaps. I know for fact that ln doesn't like creating hard links across different file systems (which actually is kinda understandable). I'm pretty sure most sane implementations would stop you from creating recursive links as well, which would make it impossible to hard link the root, but perhaps this one wasn't sane, or perhaps the superadministrator of the hosting company is this guy.

Maybe... Now that I delve into the problem more, I'm realizing that it has to do with something else. Every now and then, when my CPU usage gets high, my maximum CPU speed drops drastically. My CPU has a maximum speed of 3.1 GHz, but it has dropped to 1.0 GHz oddly enough just when I need it most. If you want, I can upload a screenshot of Resource Manager showing exactly what the problem is.
    That's weird. Does it consistently trigger when your CPU usage gets high, or is it more unpredictable? Also, can it happen when usage is low as well? It seems strange to me that your clock speed out of all things would drop, since the only reason ever for lowering it is to save power. A buggy or misconfigured power saving system, perhaps?

That is a good point. I just feel like I could get the exact amounts for debugging by opening up Calculator and multiplying 8 by the percentage listed, or I can only temporarily switch to exact values, instead of using it by default.
    Yeah, it just doesn't transfer very well to anyone doing remote debugging...

Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

You should post a photo.

Let this be a lesson to you all - back up your data! And also maybe wait a little instead of closing the computer immediately after you save it.
    I did, just not here. Not helpful, I know.
    I don't remember how big the photos are from my tablet, so I'll leave a link for you if you're interested. The artist has a whole bunch of others on Tumblr if you want to look. (I think they're pretty and cool.)

Backing up data also means saved time when one does a clean install of a new OS. Alas, my external HDD is less than a quarter the size of my PC's... It took a while to download some of these games!

I've lost files that way before too. Thankfully none as devastating as an anthology piece or website, though. I shall attempt to learn from your misfortunes!

I don't think visualisation is a strict requirement for becoming a good artist, it merely gives you an intuitive entry point. Eon and I could probably become good by honing our sense of right and wrong, and practicing shapes which look right from the start. It's just not quite as intuitive...
    It sounds as intuitive to me, but that might just be me.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

It sounds as intuitive to me, but that might just be me.
    Well, I mean in the sense of "How do you know in which direction to make a modification, when all you can tell is that it looks 'not right' right now?".

ION:
    I didn't intend to drink anything alcoholic yesterday, but when one of the other party goers brought mead (because he'd gotten it as a present despite not even liking mead), well...

Show

21. - Top - End - #231

BlackDragon

Maybe... Now that I delve into the problem more, I'm realizing that it has to do with something else. Every now and then, when my CPU usage gets high, my maximum CPU speed drops drastically. My CPU has a maximum speed of 3.1 GHz, but it has dropped to 1.0 GHz oddly enough just when I need it most.
    That suggests it's *massively* overheating and is forced to throttle itself back to avoid melting. Did you say this was a laptop? Are the fans in it definitely working?

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Welp, that's one extremely difficult day done now. At least I got some helluva good cake.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I mean in the sense of "How do you know in which direction to make a modification, when all you can tell is that it looks 'not right' right now?".

ION:
    I didn't intend to drink anything alcoholic yesterday, but when one of the other party goers brought mead (because he'd gotten it as a present despite not even liking mead), well...
    Kinda what I figured. Allegedly, my watercolor was pretty good. But I kept modifying to make it look 'right', and kept making things look worse, because I didn't know what to fix. Considering it was the first time doing a serious painting in... 7 or 8 years at least, I could probably get better with practice. I just kept changing things because it didn't look right and it didn't help and made other things look off because the wrong thing was changed.

Best solution might be an artistically experienced person swatting my hand whenever I go to fix something without explaining why I think it will be fixed with said change.

Welp, that's one extremely difficult day done now. At least I got some helluva good cake.
    Cake is good. Hope you are doing alright.

ION: I have no motivation to do my homework today. I have until Monday to complete it, but oh my god I cannot get started.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

<3

24. - Top - End - #234

Nom cake, I want cake, what kind of cake is it? Caaaaake.

ION: I have no motivation to do my homework today. I have until Monday to complete it, but oh my god I cannot get started.
    You can do it! Trust me, as someone who's had to help sister do homework I can basically assure you that yoooou can do homework super easily, so pick up your hands and get to it mister!

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah Eon, do your homework, otherwise you'll end up like me! Don't be me Eon, noone wants that
    Last edited by Devmaar; 2015-09-12 at 05:41 PM.
    from the game Tales of Aequar: Runite's Rise. Drawn by the DM, CoffeeIncluded

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

This is even funnier if you speak Czech.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know, I mess with pencil almost exclusively and when I have something down on paper more often than not I look at it and see well, that's not right and lightly pencil in a line somewhere else that seems more right (whether it is or isn't). With avoiding using the eraser, there is often quite a mess of lines in the wrong spot, but they tend to be a decent reference especially if you don't have a visualisation of what you want in your head at the minute (if that makes sense).

I'm 90% sure other people do the same thing.

After a while, I end up with less and less lines used (even though I'm still pretty bad at arts, I feel like I can be content with a lot of the stuff I do now).

Kinda what I figured. Allegedly, my watercolor was pretty good. But I kept modifying to make it look 'right', and kept making things look worse, because I didn't know what to fix. Considering it was the first time doing a serious painting in... 7 or 8 years at least, I could probably get better with practice. I just kept changing things because it didn't look right and it didn't help and made other things look off because the wrong thing was changed.
    Haha, I think a lot of people have the same issue. (Including me)

Though, I haven't done watercolour that I can remember.

Gah, sounds unfun.
    I have no advice for motivation, alas.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    That suggests it's *massively* overheating and is forced to throttle itself back to avoid melting. Did you say this was a laptop? Are the fans in it definitely working?
    It's odd -- I hear fans or what sounds like fans, but when I boot up Device Manager and other programs that try to detect fans, none are detected. For reference I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, and I disabled Intel Thermal Framework in the BIOS.

Perhaps. I know for fact that ln doesn't like creating hard links across different file systems (which actually is kinda understandable). I'm pretty sure most sane implementations would stop you from creating recursive links as well, which would make it impossible to hard link the root, but perhaps this one wasn't sane, or perhaps the superadministrator of the hosting company is this guy.

That's weird. Does it consistently trigger when your CPU usage gets high, or is it more unpredictable? Also, can it happen when usage is low as well? It seems strange to me that your clock speed out of all things would drop, since the only reason ever for lowering it is to save power. A buggy or misconfigured power saving system, perhaps?

Yeah, it just doesn't transfer very well to anyone doing remote debugging...
    True, true. I guess that even though I don't have great visualization skills, I can just throw ink at the paper and see what sticks. If I like the way a certain face looks, or a certain table looks, I'll try to reuse elements of it in future works.

I feel like maybe linking is handled by the Firefox plugin, which isn't sane, instead of the actual linking program, but that's probably wrong. I don't know enough about the FTP protocol to understand how this problem arose.

Nah, it mainly seems to trigger once CPU usage increases. Maybe it has to do with the fact that my CPU has multiple cores, and my clock speed goes from 3GHz on one core to 1GHz on two cores? Or maybe it is a power saving issue. My computer comes preinstalled with an aforementioned thermal throttler, but I disabled that already in the BIOS so I don't know what the issue is. Weird.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Who doesn't love a good migrane?

... owwwww...
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post

... owwwww...
    love a good migrane
    good migrane
    What's that?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.