New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Blank D12

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Blank D12

So I was digging through my Tupperware container full of random polyhedral dice (what, don’t you have one?) a few minutes ago, and I noticed that I have a white D12 that’s completely blank. There’s not a mark on it. Naturally I’ve decided to use it for something. I’ve got plenty of dice to use for barbarian hit dice and great axe damage. What could I possibly use it for? Any suggestions?

(i have a fine tipped permanent pen somewhere to mark it up with.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Blank D12

Random zodiac generator for your characters
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

D&D class generator-

Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xetheral View Post
    Sovereign Glue is, of course, made from Sovereigns. In a lawless area they can be quite rare. Fortunately, in a kingdom with clearly-defined rules of succession and no mandatory mourning period, Sovereigns are a renewable resource.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The obvious ones are months or signs of the zodiac.

But I recommend that you invent some aspect of your world that you can use it for.

Perhaps there are twelve gods, and you randomly determine which one is interested ion a given situation.

Or there are twelve tribes of orcs, and you roll to determine whether the players are being attacked by the sword-wielding Slashers, the stone-axe-using cave-orcs, the warg-riding mongols, the heavy metal fans of the Iron Golems, etc.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Try to get your GM to accept some sort of homebrew "random" spell or something maybe? You use that spell slot, aim at the enemy, and then it could turn into a hefty damaging effect which would usually take a higher level than the random spell itself, or an AoE spell, or even a buff for whoever you aimed it at.

In general, whatever you do with it: the more specific and related to a specific plot or character concept it is the cooler it will be.

Well, to me at least.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, let's look at combinations of "12" and "fantasy."

Months and zodaical signs have already been mentioned - there are also 12 Alchemical processes (at least according to some alchemic traditions). Maybe they could be used for magic item creation checks?

12 is traditionally the holiest number in a number of religions - and is the traditional number of gods in a D&D pantheon (since the Greeks had 12 Olympian gods). You could mark the die with holy symbols to see which god or goddess is influencing a particular ritual.

There are 12 "core" classes - maybe use the die to roll up random heroic/villainous NPCs?
    Honor guard at the funeral in the Miko Fan Club.

Those who are too stupid to run, I salute you.

Human Male, age 35

"Have you come to lecture me on my evil ways?"

"Actually, I brought you some supper. But if you'd prefer a lecture, I've a few very catchy ones prepped; sin and hellfire... one has lepers."

- Inara and Book, Firefly

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Or you could just use it for weapon damage. Make it a D12 + 8 or whatever damage your Barbarian does usually.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I had the spots taken off [the die] for luck, but I remember where they formerly was."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Spartakus View Post
    Or you could just use it for weapon damage. Make it a D12 + 8 or whatever damage your Barbarian does usually.
    That is an awful idea. Those modifiers change too frequently.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Use it as an device in a campaign. The players find that obviously magic dice, and it seems to be blank. But they have the option to store up to 6 special magical powers on each side of the dice. However, once a power is stored, it can not be changed and a harmful effect is stored on the opposite site of the dice. They can roll the dice a given number of times per day to give their luck a try.
    Loading signature... this may take a while!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Write down body parts
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

These are all great ideas. Keep them coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Write down body parts
    This gave me the idea for a critical hit die. I imagine critical hits causing crippling injuries to locations as defined by the roll of the die.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A D4 with slanted probability?

Faces 1-5: 1
    Faces 6-9: 2
    Faces 10-11: 3
    Face 12: 4

Or, to go with the popular "crit" idea, you could do...
    1-3: Left leg
    4-6: Right leg
    7-9: Torso
    10: Left Arm
    11: Right Arm
    12: Boom, headshot.
    Check out my 5E Foraging/Alchemy Rules!

God help me, I've made a 5E Magical Girl and people liked it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by It Sat Rap View Post
    Use it as an device in a campaign. The players find that obviously magic dice, and it seems to be blank. But they have the option to store up to 6 special magical powers on each side of the dice. However, once a power is stored, it can not be changed and a harmful effect is stored on the opposite site of the dice. They can roll the dice a given number of times per day to give their luck a try.
    This is an awesome idea. Don't just customize it, use it as an item the group can customize.

12 is practically the perfect number of sides for that sort of ideas, 6 might get boring too soon, 20 would make it too much "your favorite thing never happens".

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Draw alchemical or otherwise mystical looking symbols on each face. Write up tables for your games based on those faces. Roll the die publicly and consult the chart for events or just to terrorize your players.

Have players roll it during pivotal moments and then use the arcane symbols to determine what happens, creating the illusion of randomness while you railroad an event to deflect guilt and frustration.

Roll it, yourself, as you play a far realm aligned character and use it to describe your character's actions or irrelevant ticks. Have your character roll the dice to try and divine an answer from your mad patron about what course to tak3.

And then you can assign those symbols to gods and months in other games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Not everyone has the resources or the ability to become a wizard or a sorcerer, after all. Warlocking just requires a pact, very democratic, really. Doesn't require wealth or a magical lineage, just a promise, and all of your problems will go away.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

My original idea was to use it to generate skills for a home brewed system based off of it. it would look something like this:

fighting
    farming
    crafting
    thievery
    animal handling
    hunting
    fishing
    diplomacy
    begging
    brewing
    housekeeping
    shop keeping

I would probably use this system for some sort of village game where the PCs are all members of a small community. I'm not sure i want to create a 100% homebrewed system just yet.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2015-09-02 at 02:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

I've got some blank d12's myself. I plan to turn them into interchangeable D4/D6/D12 (D4 in one colour, D6 and D12 in others) that actually roll well. Saves on the number of dice you need to carry around too!
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.