Results 1 to 1 of 1
Thread: Whisper (Stealth class)
- Join Date
- Aug 2009
Whisper (Stealth class)Whisper
A Whisper is little more than an echo in reality, a mere image not truly real. Whispers are those who for some reason reality does not recognize or accept the existence of. Whispers are entities which reality itself forgets. Always easily overlooked they seem to naturally gravitate towards stealth and thievery, picking up such acts easily and quickly.
Adventures: Some whispers become adventurers in a vain attempt to make a mark upon the world, to carve their name in reality so that it can never forget them. Others simply find themselves sinking through the cracks of the world and finding the life of an adventurer to be the only life left available to them.
Characteristics: Whispers are anomalies in existence, tiny holes in reality. A whisper is forgotten by everything, their names fading from history, their identities burning from reality. Whispers are overlooked casually and easily, they stand in the middle of the room yet no one seems to notice them. They have the power to vanish entirely from reality for a time, potentially returning somewhere quite different than where they left from, and can even cause others to temporarily vanish like they themselves.
Alignment: Whispers may be of any alignment. They are typically cynical of cosmic law and often mortal law as well, few believing in an orderly universe or the value of order; after all people will always fall through the cracks. As such whispers are rarely lawful, and more likely to be chaotic. As they find it easy to escape the consequences of their actions whispers have a slight leaning towards evil.
Religion: Agnostism is common among whispers. Even the gods cannot view them properly, and what use is it to worship a god who forgets you the moment your prayers end? Whispers who do worship deities often turn to gods of chance or theft hoping that since they fall into those gods' purvey they might remember them.
Background: A Whisper is born of a fluke not a choice. They are those who due to some kink in fate reality does not fully accept the existence of. Some, many, are born, a few are made. A man damages his truename in a ritual and unlinks himself from reality, a spell goes awry and leaves the subject out of phase with the rest of reality. An intentional whisper is rare beyond belief, and even an accidental one is rare enough that most people will never in their life meet one... and fewer still remember doing so.
Races: Whispers may come from any race with about equal likelihood. Those firmly rooted in substance, such as dwarves, and outsider blooded entities, are less common, and those that would defy reality by their very nature, such as mixed celestial and fiendish lineages, or with an ephemeral connection to reality at best, such as some fey.
Other Classes: Whispers are in many ways interchangeable with rogues at least as far as the majority of their traveling companions are concerned. Wizards find whispers intriguing. Druids find them distressing and may deem them unnatural. Clerics worry over the implications which their existence may stir. Archivists are intrigued by these same worries as to the omnipotence of the divine.
Role: Whispers are stealthy stealthy beings slipping from location to location all but unobserved and soon forgotten. They may act as rogues, though they are worse at combat, but are at their heart they are infiltration specialists.
GAME RULE INFORMATION
Whispers have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Dexterity is an important ability to whispers as they tend to focus on Hide, Move Silently, and light armor. Intelligence determines the save DCs of their abilities and their skill points making it another focal point.
Hit Die: d8
Starting Age: As sorcerer.
Starting Gold: 5d4 x 10 GP.
The whisper's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at First Level: (6 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier
Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special 1st+0+0+2+0 Sneak Attack +1d6, Vanish from the Flow 2nd+1+0+3+0 Shadowed Existence, Whisper Talent 3rd+2+1+3+1 Vanishing Touch 4th+3+1+4+1 Quantum Positioning, Sneak Attack +2d6 5th+3+1+4+1 Hide in Plain Sight, Whisper Talent 6th+4+2+5+2 Easily Forgotten 7th+5+2+5+2 Sneak Attack +3d6, Vanish Step 8th+6+2+6+2 Quantum Position (2x), Whisper Talent 9th+6+3+6+3 Hide Allies, Reactive Vanish (1/minute) 10th+7+3+7+3 Incorporealness, Sneak Attack +4d6 11th+8+3+7+3 Greater Vanish Step, Whisper Talent 12th+9+4+8+4 Occluded Fate, Quantum Position (3x) 13th+9+4+8+4 Reactive Vanish (1/4 rounds), Sneak Attack +5d6 14th+10+4+9+4 Easily Overlooked, Whisper Talent 15th+11+5+9+5 Improved Incorporealness 16th+12+5+10+5 Quantum Position (4x), Sneak Attack +6d6 17th+12+5+10+5 Reactive Vanish (1/3 rounds), Whisper Talent 18th+13+6+11+6 Perfected Vanish Step, Perfected Vanishing Touch 19th+14+6+11+6 Sneak Attack +7d6 20th+15+6+12+6 Prolonged Incorporealness, Reliable Quantum Position, Whisper Talent
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A whisper is proficient in simple weapons, light armor and shields (except tower shields). They have only minimal combat training and do not learn the use of specialized weapons or armor.
Sneak Attack: As the rogue ability except with a progression as shown on the table above (1d6 + 1d6 per 3 levels beyond 1st).
Vanish from the Flow (Su): A whisper is a being that has begun to slip from reality's perception and by focusing themselves (a standard action) they can free themselves further from it seeming to vanish from existence for a few moments. You disappear from existence for a number of rounds determined by you when you use this ability which may be up to your Whisper level. During this time you do not exist. Time does not pass for you during this period and you reappear in your previous square or the nearest unoccupied space when you return to existence. When you use this ability spell effects on you have a chance of becoming de-attached forgetting you and ending as if you were targeted with a targeted dispel magic (except that it has no effect on magic items). The caster level equals your Whisper level, and if your Whisper level is 9 or higher it functions as greater dispel magic. You may grant yourself up to a +4 bonus or -4 penalty to all dispel checks made as part of this ability.
Shadowed Existence: A whisper becomes difficult to detect with magic and mystical abilities as reality loses track of their very being. Spells that would detect an aura about you (such as Detect Evil) have a 50% chance not to register you or objects you carry, in addition there is a 50% chance that any [Scrying] effect will fail to show you treating you as invisible and absolutely silent, the same 50% chance to ignore your existence applies to any spell which determines the future, there is a 50% chance that your direct actions are undetected by them. You gain a +4 bonus to any saving throw against a Divination effect. The fact that reality has trouble keeping track of you also causes you to be easily forgotten by history and those who have never met you personally, making you never considered legendary for the purposes of Legend Lore. Finally your personal truename is automatically obscure and actually shifts abruptly and often; checks made to learn or speak your personal truename are made at -4 and your personal truename changes every 7 + 2d4 months (average 1 year).
Whisper Talent: At 2nd level, 5th level, and every 3 levels thereafter (8, 11, 14, 17, 20) a Whisper gains one Whisper Talent they meet the prerequisites for from the list below. Some Whisper Talents are [Sneak Attack] talents, a whisper may only apply one sneak attack talent to a (sneak) attack per attack. You may only take any given Whisper Talent once.
Spoiler1. Bonus Feat: You gain a bonus feat you qualify for.
2. Arterial Strike [Sneak Attack]: When you sneak attack a creature with a circulatory system it takes 1 damage per die of sneak attack damage you inflicted each round until it is receives magical healing, a DC 15 heal check, or 1 minute has passed. Multiple Arterial Strikes do not stack but do reset the duration. This damage bypasses all damage reduction a creature may possess.
3. Heavy Strike [Sneak Attack]: When you sneak attack a creature you deal +1 damage per sneak attack die. Prerequisites: One Sneak Attack Whisper talent, Whisper level 12+.
4. Stumbling Strike [Sneak Attack]: At the end of your turn you may make a Trip attempt against any creature you struck with a sneak attack this round; you may choose to use Dexterity in place of Strength for the purposes of this Trip attempt. If you struck a single creature multiple times this round you gain a +2 to the trip attempt against that creature per sneak attack augmented with this ability against it beyond the first. A creature may not attempt to trip you in response if you fail a trip attempt granted by this ability, and you do not provoke attacks of opportunity for using this ability.
5. Crippling Strike [Sneak Attack]: A whisper with this ability can sneak attack opponents with such precision that her blows weaken and hamper them. An opponent damaged by one of her sneak attacks also takes 2 points of Strength damage. Ability points lost to damage return on their own at the rate of 1 point per day for each damaged ability. Prerequisites: One sneak attack whisper talent, Whisper Level 12+.
6. Quick Stealth: You suffer no penalty to Hide and Move Silently checks for moving up to your full speed, and only a -15 for Hide and Move Silently checks made while running.
7. Darkstalker: You gain Darkstalker as a bonus feat.
8. Opportunist: Once per round, the whisper can make an attack of opportunity against an opponent who has just been struck for damage in melee by another character. This attack counts as the whisperís attack of opportunity for that round. Even a whisper with the Combat Reflexes feat canít use the opportunist ability more than once per round. Prerequisite: Whisper level 12+.
9. Defensive Roll: The whisper can roll with a potentially lethal blow to take less damage from it than she otherwise would. Once per day, when she would be reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by damage in combat (from a weapon or other blow, not a spell or special ability), the rogue can attempt to roll with the damage. To use this ability, the rogue must attempt a Reflex saving throw (DC = damage dealt). If the save succeeds, she takes only half damage from the blow; if it fails, she takes full damage. She must be aware of the attack and able to react to it in order to execute her defensive rollóif she is denied her Dexterity bonus to AC, she canít use this ability. Since this effect would not normally allow a character to make a Reflex save for half damage, the rogueís evasion ability does not apply to the defensive roll. Prerequisite: Whisper level 12+
10. Whisper Stealth: Whenever you roll less than a 8 on a d20 for a Hide or Move Silently check the die roll is increased to 8.
11. Improved Whisper Stealth: Whenever you roll less than an 12 on a d20 for a Hide or Move Silently check the die roll is increased to 12. Prerequisite: Whisper Stealth.
12. Erudition: You may make Knowledge checks untrained, and gain a +1 bonus to all Knowledge checks.
13. Finesse: Gain Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat.
14. Quantum Theft: 1/day you may re-roll a Sleight of Hand check you just made after knowing the result. You may use this ability an additional time each day per 4 whisper levels.
15. Martial Whisper: Learn one Setting Sun or Shadow Hand maneuver you fulfill the prerequisites for.
16. Hamstringing Strike [Sneak Attack]: When a creature is struck by a sneak attack from a whisper with this talent they suffer a -5-ft penalty to their movement speeds for 1 round. Multiple uses of this ability stack.
17. Unseen Assassin [Sneak Attack]: During the first round of combat, and any surprise round, a whisper may sneak attack creatures even if they retain their Dexterity bonus to AC and are not flanked.
18. Gut Strike [Sneak Attack]: At the end of your turn any creature you struck with a sneak attack augmented with this talent must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + Ĺ your whisper level + your Dexterity modifier) or be sickened for 1 round per Gut Strike they were hit with this round.
19. Snap Up: You may stand from prone as a free action instead of a move action.
20. Distracting Strike: You may make a sleight of hand check as a free action when you deal sneak attack damage to a target and have a free hand.
21. Agile Dodge: You gain a +1 dodge bonus to AC.
22. Ghost: Gain the ability to use Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound, and Prestidigitation as spell-like abilities a total of 3 times per day.
23. Illusionist: Gain the ability to use Silent Image as a spell-like ability 3 times per day, or use Minor Image as a spell-like ability by expending 3 uses of your Silent Image ability. Prerequisites: Ghost.
24. Lore: Gain the Lore ability as a Cloistered Cleric 4 levels lower. Prerequisites: Erudition, Whisper Level 5+.
25. Extended Vanishing Touch: Your vanishing touch ability lasts 1 extra round. Prerequisites: Vanishing Touch.
26. Banishing Touch: When an extraplanar creature affected by your vanishing touch ability would reappear it instead reappears at a random location on its home plane.
27. Distant Vanishing Step: You may appear up to twice the normal distance from your position when you use Vanishing Step but this increases the inaccuracy to 1d20-1 squares if you go over your normal limit.
28. Slip Spells: When you use Vanish from the Flow you may apply up to a +6 or -6 bonus or penalty to your dispel checks instead of a +/- 4.
29. Extra Vanish Step: You are capable of teleporting more often than your fellows. You gain 2 extra daily uses of Greater Vanish Step. Prerequisites: Greater Vanish Step.
30. See Invisibility: You may continuously see invisible and ethereal creatures and objects as if through the spell see invisibility
31. Whisper Sight: 1/day + 1/day per 4 whisper levels you may see through a 10-ft by 10-ft square of a single solid object up to 5-ft thick for 1 round per whisper level. A Whisper may end this ability prematurely as a free action, and may only have one instance of it active at a time. Activating this ability is a standard action and the object to be seen through must be within 5-ft per 2 whisper levels.
32. Whisper Eyes: You may use Whisper Sight at-will. Prerequisites: Whisper Sight, Whisper level 12+.
33. Skilled Illusionist: Select 1 2nd level or lower Sor/Wiz spell of the illusion school. You may use the selected spell as a spell-like ability 3 times per day. Prerequisites: Illusionist.
34. Advanced Illusionist; Select 1 3rd level or lower Sor/Wiz spell of the Illusion school. You may use the selected spell as a spell-like ability 3 times per day. Prerequisite: Skilled Illusionist.
35. Talented Illusionist: Select 1 4th level or lower Sor/Wiz spell of the Illusion school. You may use the selected spell as a spell-like ability 3 times per day. Prerequisite: Advanced Illusionist.
36. Extended Quantum Position: You gain an extra 4 rounds of Quantum Position. Prerequisites: Quantum Position.
37. Resourceful Illusionist: You gain an extra daily use of your Ghost talent and each Illusionist talent you have. Prerequisite: Illusionist.
38. Opossum Technique: You gain the ability to play dead. When you use this ability a Deathwatch spell and similar effects reveal you to be dead, and a DC 30 Heal check is required to determine that you are in fact alive.
39. Extra Hide Other: Gain an extra daily use of Hide Others. Prerequisites: Hide Others.
40. Extended Hide Others: Hide Others lasts an additional round per 2 whisper levels. Prerequisites: Hide Others.
Vanishing Touch (Su): Beginning at 3rd level a whisper can focus their powers on another creature momentarily knocking it loose from reality in much the same way as they themselves are. To do so requires a whisper to touch the target (as a standard action). The target is allowed a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 Whisper level + Intelligence modifier) to resist this effect. The target appears 1d6-1 squares away from its initial location (or in the nearest unoccupied space to that randomly determined) and this ability can be used 1/day per Whisper level. A creature that successfully saves cannot be targeted by this ability again for 1 minute.
Quantum Position (Su): Beginning at 4th level a Whisper can momentarily increase the uncertainty with which reality views their position. To do so requires a free action but the effect lasts only one round, although a Whisper may use an additional use of this ability to extend it when it would end as a non-action even if it is not their turn as long as they are conscious. While this ability is in effect the Whisper exists in two spaces within 10-ft of each other. The Whisper may act out of either square as if they were in both squares, but any effect (including an attack) which would affect only one of the two iterations of the Whisper has a 50% chance of not affecting the Whisper at all; a Whisper only suffers an effect once even if both are affected. A Whisper may use this ability 2 (rounds) +1 (round)/day per 2 Whisper levels.
Beginning at 8th level when this ability is in use the Whisper exists in three spaces each of which must be within 10 ft of another of the iterations. An effect (including an attack) which would affect only one of these iterations has only a 1 in 3 chance of affecting the Whisper, and if it would affect only 2 it has only a 2 in 3 chance. At 12th level the Whisper adds a 4th iteration of themselves and chances become 1 in 4 if only 1 would be affected, 50% if 2, or 75% if 3. At 16th level the Whisper adds a 5th iteration of themselves and chances become 20% per iteration which would be affected. At 20th level the Whisper may couple this ability with Incorporealness and as long as they are not incorporeal even if they are not using this ability they may exist in 2 squares as if using the weakest version of this ability.
Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): When reality has forgotten you it becomes hard for people to notice you. Beginning at 5th level a Whisper may hide without cover or concealment as long as they are not observed. If a Whisper damages a creature they lose the benefits of this ability against that creature until they have successfully hidden again.
Easily Forgotten (Ex): As a whisper grows their connection to reality grows more and more tenuous. Beginning at 6th level even a Whisper's closest kin and family run the risk of forgetting them over a relatively short span. People must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 class level + your Int modifier) to remember you when they cannot directly sense you (smell you, see you, hear you, feel you) for longer than 2 rounds. They may still remember events that happened involving you, but the details will be forgotten (if you walk up and stab someone they remember that they were stabbed by something but canít say for sure who did it, or even whether they were a humanoid; if you are being chased and go around a corner your pursuers will remember they were chasing something, but not what they looked like, or who, or how they lost their quarry). Once a creature can see/sense you again they are able to remember you normally. If a creature makes its save it must make it again once a day until it sees you again, the DC increasing by 2 each day. Even written descriptions of your activities are hard to remember and a creature reading about you must make a similar check immediately afterwards or forget the details. Creatures which have been in close acquaintance with you gain a +1 bonus to their saves per day of close acquaintance. This bonus is lost once the save is failed once and must be rebuilt from +0.
Vanish Step (Su): A whisper is able to manipulate their ability to slip from reality to return at a slightly different location. Beginning at 7th level when you use vanish you may reappear up to 20 ft per whisper level from your initial square. You must select where you will appear when you initially use this ability. This ability is not perfectly accurate and you appear 1d8-1 squares (x5 to get feet) from where you intended when using this ability.
Hide Allies (Su): By focusing a whisper may obscure the existence of their allies slightly allowing the whisper to help them hide and move silently as well as protecting them from divination. Beginning at 9th level a whisper may, as a standard action, extend some of their blessed curse to allied creatures within 30 ft of them. While using this ability the whisper may replace affected allies' Hide and Move Silently checks and modifiers with the whisper's own, and in so doing allow them to gain the benefit of any ability which improves the whisper's ability to hide or move silently (such as Hide in Plain Sight, Darkstalker feat, etc). Finally these allies gain the benefit of the whisper's Shadowed Existence ability except for as regards true names. This effect lasts for 1 round per whisper level and a whisper can use this ability 1/day + 1/day per 4 whisper levels beyond 8th (2/day at 12th, 3/day at 16th, 4/day at 20th).
Reactive Vanish (Su): In times of danger a whisper is able to more quickly use their ability to get lost from reality but this emergency burst makes it harder for them to use it for a time. Beginning at 9th level a whisper may use Vanish from the Flow as an immediate action but if they do so they cannot use it for another minute (after they return to time). Beginning at 13th level a whisper only needs to wait 4 rounds instead of 1 minute, and at 17th level this becomes 3 rounds.
Incorporealness (Su): A whisper learns to manipulate their own position in reality to make it ambiguous allowing other things to pass through them. Beginning at 10th level when using Quantum Position a whisper may expend 2 uses (per round) to turn incorporeal instead of gaining the usual benefit of Quantum Position. While incorporeal this way a whisper may still interact with physical objects as they desire treating any object they desire as if it were ghost touch. Beginning at 15th level a whisper may turn incorporeal for 1 round per class level each day without expending uses of Quantum Position. Beginning at 20th level a whisper may turn incorporeal in this way at-will.
Greater Vanish Step (Su): A Whisper's location is quite loose as far as reality is concerned and a modicum of will can allow them to reassign it. Beginning at 11th level twice per day a Whisper may teleport or plane shift as the respective spell when they use Vanish Step. This teleportation is never wholly accurate and even on an "on-target" result you are off by 1d10% of the distance traveled. A Whisper may not take along other creatures when they use this ability.
Occluded Fate (Su): A Whisper's does not exist, not really, not as far as reality is concerned, they are just an occasional and unpredictable anomaly. Beginning at 12th level a Whisper gains total immunity to any effect which had a chance of failure due to Shadowed Reality or which they gained a bonus to saving throws against. Any attempt to tell their future fails, and they ignore targets' insight bonuses to AC and saving throws, and creatures lose their insight bonuses to attack rolls against a Whisper with this ability and to opposed rolls made against one. Finally a Whisper of this level does not have a personal true name and all utterances have a 25% chance of failing against them.
Easily Overlooked (Ex): Just as reality turns a blind eye to a Whisper so too do creatures. Beginning at 14th level a whisper may attempt to hide even when observed, any observing creature may make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 whisper level + Int modifier) to continue to observe the Whisper. In addition as long as there is another threatening creature enemies must make a Will save (same DC) to target you in preference to other viable enemies.
Perfected Vanish Step (Su): Beginning at 18th level a Whisper may use Greater Vanish Step 4 times per day, in addition they are able to perfectly control their location when they return to reality duplicating Greater Teleport or Greater Plane Shift instead of their regular versions. A Whisper still may not carry other creatures with them.
Perfected Vanishing Touch (Su): Beginning at 18th level two times per day when a Whisper uses Vanishing Touch they may remove the target's ability to save treating them automatically as if they had failed their Will save.Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.
Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2
Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.
Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)