New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Good system for an Old West style campaign.

I need some input from some experienced players of this game system. Myself and some friends need an old west system to run a campaign on. Something with good rules, a nice map of the territories, etc. There seem to be so few systems out there for that setting. I appreciate your help. Oh, I'm talking about a non-weird old west setting. Thanks.
    Is that an ActiveRPG you have there? Yes it is. Is it dangerous? It can be. Go here and see.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Good system for an Old West style campaign.

I believe that you will need to define "non-weird" for us to get a better grasp of what you're looking for. Do you mean characters that have no supernatural powers? A game whose lore isn't that far from the actual historical West? A dice system that isn't uncommon or unconventional?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HerbertWest View Post
    I believe that you will need to define "non-weird" for us to get a better grasp of what you're looking for. Do you mean characters that have no supernatural powers? A game whose lore isn't that far from the actual historical West? A dice system that isn't uncommon or unconventional?
    Historical Old West setting. The die system doesn't matter much. d20, d100, d6. What I am looking for as well is a nice list of equipment. A list the distinguishes between pistols, rifles, etc. Such as not just stats for a pistol but stats for different pistols, peacemaker etc.
    Is that an ActiveRPG you have there? Yes it is. Is it dangerous? It can be. Go here and see.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I have read good things about Boot Hill, but never personally played it. From what I have read it would be a good fit.

I really like Dogs in The Vineyard; it might be a bit too religion based for your taste but its a good west setting otherwise.

If you don't mind a late 1880's or 1890's you can use Call of Cthulhu has good mechanics, but is certainly designed for more bizarre Lovecraftian adventures in mind.
    Last edited by Geddy2112; 2015-09-02 at 05:54 PM.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geddy2112 View Post
    I have read good things about Boot Hill, but never personally played it. From what I have read it would be a good fit.

I really like Dogs in The Vineyard; it might be a bit too religion based for your taste but its a good west setting otherwise.

If you don't mind a late 1880's or 1890's you can use Call of Cthulhu has good mechanics, but is certainly designed for more bizarre Lovecraftian adventures in mind.
    Thank you for the input Geddy. I like what you did with your Monk dipping Pathfinder guide by the way.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I've heard good things about a game called Aces & Eights, Shattered Frontier. Although it uses an alternative history timeline, you can just ignore that, otherwise it is a realistic wild west game.

GURPS Old West might work for you.

D20 Modern with D20 Past supplement.

Boot Hill was already mentioned, too, the 3e is probably the best version.

For maps of the territories, you can always google whatever year you want, I'm sure the internet has them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    I've heard good things about a game called Aces & Eights, Shattered Frontier. Although it uses an alternative history timeline, you can just ignore that, otherwise it is a realistic wild west game.

GURPS Old West might work for you.

D20 Modern with D20 Past supplement.

Boot Hill was already mentioned, too, the 3e is probably the best version.

For maps of the territories, you can always google whatever year you want, I'm sure the internet has them.
    I appreciate it Thrudd. I thought about d20 Modern and wondered if they had anything for old west. I may check out this Past supplement. Didn't know anything about it. Does it have stats for old west weapons?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

*insert another shameless GURPS plug here*
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you're willing to do a little re-fluffing Clockwork Dominion might be perfect for you. On it's face it's a victorian steampunk setting, but it has roughly period firearms (late 1800s), and there is no reason you can't just ignore anything else too steampunky for you.

Mechanically it'd be great for evoking that wild west gunslinger feel in no small part because the dynamic initiative system specifically encourages taking risks and expending long term advantages for short term gains (sacrificing future actions to jump around the initiative order and interrupt others for example).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KoboldCleric View Post
    If you're willing to do a little re-fluffing Clockwork Dominion might be perfect for you. On it's face it's a victorian steampunk setting, but it has roughly period firearms (late 1800s), and there is no reason you can't just ignore anything else too steampunky for you.

Mechanically it'd be great for evoking that wild west gunslinger feel in no small part because the dynamic initiative system specifically encourages taking risks and expending long term advantages for short term gains (sacrificing future actions to jump around the initiative order and interrupt others for example).
    I've downloaded the starter PDF and am going to read over it. Thank you. Never heard of it until now. I'll let you know what I think.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGunter View Post
    I appreciate it Thrudd. I thought about d20 Modern and wondered if they had anything for old west. I may check out this Past supplement. Didn't know anything about it. Does it have stats for old west weapons?
    Yes, It covers tech from enlightenment era up to 1940's, so I don't know if the level of detail will be enough for you. But it has a decent list of weapons. There's definately feats and skills and classes you can apply to that type of setting. Unfortunately, half the book is presenting settings that combine historical settings with supernatural stuff, swashbuckling pirates and magic, 1870's supernatural pulp adventure, and 1930's pulp adventure with nazis and superscience.

Edit: I've found a couple other d20 wild west games, one just called OGL Wild West, that looks like d20 modern "reskinned" for the wild west setting. The other called Sidewinder Recoiled that apparently is a 3rd party wild west supplement for d20 modern. I don't know of the quality of either.
    Last edited by Thrudd; 2015-09-03 at 12:11 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

I really like the Deadlands system, you can just rip out all the supernatural stuff and play it in a "normal" setting.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think there's a D20 Modern supplement with suitable rules - maybe D20 Past?
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Firest Kathon View Post
    I really like the Deadlands system, you can just rip out all the supernatural stuff and play it in a "normal" setting.
    I have to second this. Without all the supernatural extras, Deadlands is a very flavourful system, and the cards and poker chips just add to the charm. It also has a unique progression system where you need to balance your need for character upgrades and your need for survival/success.
    What doesn't kill you makes you... stranger.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Can you play it with actual cards... and poker chips... and an entire poker table... with poker dice?

Must the money be fake though?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Aces & Eights from Kenzerco. A really good system, no weird stuff, and really good gameplay. I wholeheartedly recommend it.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    Yes, It covers tech from enlightenment era up to 1940's, so I don't know if the level of detail will be enough for you. But it has a decent list of weapons. There's definately feats and skills and classes you can apply to that type of setting. Unfortunately, half the book is presenting settings that combine historical settings with supernatural stuff, swashbuckling pirates and magic, 1870's supernatural pulp adventure, and 1930's pulp adventure with nazis and superscience.

Edit: I've found a couple other d20 wild west games, one just called OGL Wild West, that looks like d20 modern "reskinned" for the wild west setting. The other called Sidewinder Recoiled that apparently is a 3rd party wild west supplement for d20 modern. I don't know of the quality of either.
    Thrudd, I like that fact of using d20 system since I'm so familiar with it. I will give these a look. Thank you.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Aces & Eights from Kenzerco. A really good system, no weird stuff, and really good gameplay. I wholeheartedly recommend it.
    I'm leaning heavy on that one right now Hamlet. I'm on the verge of letting loose the $25 for the PDF. Does anyone know where I could get it cheaper?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I do suggest GURPS, but then I just love it to the point where the only game I don't see myself using it for is Eclipse Phase. I'm just annoyed that I can't buy any of the -tech books for decent prices, because I really want to run a Space Opera campaign (if I buy the pdf can I legally print out a copy for at-table reference? As many printed copies as I want? I don't actually know). The Characters book of the basic set, and the (I think) High Tech book should be all you need for a 'classic' or 'weird' Wild West, although the Campaigns book from the Basic Set is also good.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I do suggest GURPS, but then I just love it to the point where the only game I don't see myself using it for is Eclipse Phase. I'm just annoyed that I can't buy any of the -tech books for decent prices, because I really want to run a Space Opera campaign (if I buy the pdf can I legally print out a copy for at-table reference? As many printed copies as I want? I don't actually know). The Characters book of the basic set, and the (I think) High Tech book should be all you need for a 'classic' or 'weird' Wild West, although the Campaigns book from the Basic Set is also good.
    Anonymouswizard I do not think you can have the book copied but there is no reason you can't print out your pdf for at table reference. Just don't try and sell it etc etc. It's your book, your ink and your paper.

Thank you for your advice on GURPS. I do love the detail but I'm going to go for an all-in-one approach to resolve my needs if possible.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGunter View Post
    I'm leaning heavy on that one right now Hamlet. I'm on the verge of letting loose the $25 for the PDF. Does anyone know where I could get it cheaper?
    If you had asked me that a couple months ago, I would have sent you my copy for the price of shipping. Getting married and combining housholds, especially with a non-gamer, makes you have to make some pretty heartwrenching cuts to the game book library, and that was one that had to go to a new home.

If you need an inexpensive copy, I believe that Kenzerco has a collection of them for sale that were damaged in shipping, but still useable. You can also try ebay. For less than $25 though? Dunno. It'd take some searching.

But I will say that it and it's printed up accessories are absolutely worth that cost.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    If you had asked me that a couple months ago, I would have sent you my copy for the price of shipping. Getting married and combining housholds, especially with a non-gamer, makes you have to make some pretty heartwrenching cuts to the game book library, and that was one that had to go to a new home.

If you need an inexpensive copy, I believe that Kenzerco has a collection of them for sale that were damaged in shipping, but still useable. You can also try ebay. For less than $25 though? Dunno. It'd take some searching.

But I will say that it and it's printed up accessories are absolutely worth that cost.
    Congrats on the marriage Hamlet and my condolences on having to part with some old loved ones. I'm getting lots of positive replies to Aces and Eights and Boot Hill. I also have my eye on some others that have been mentioned. Including a free one called Tombstone.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Aces and Eights, by Kenzer and Company, is supposed to be excellent.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I love Dust Devils. It's about gunslingers haunted by their pasts and trapped in the spiraling decay of everything they have and hold dear.

You know - fun, light stuff.

Game-design wise it does some fun stuff with shared narration, and uses poker hands as a conflict resolution mechanic.