New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default So...If Roy wins...

Do you think he would refuse to have Durkon ressurected? I mean, after he kills Durkula a priest may offer to ressurect him and Roy could say something like: "No. don't do it. I'm not sure if that was really my best friend who turned evil or just Hel's puppet. Either way, I can't risk him being ressurected and possibly risk the world being destroyed."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: So...If Roy wins...

Quote Originally Posted by AngelusAlvus View Post
    Do you think he would refuse to have Durkon ressurected? I mean, after he kills Durkula a priest may offer to ressurect him and Roy could say something like: "No. don't do it. I'm not sure if that was really my best friend who turned evil or just Hel's puppet. Either way, I can't risk him being ressurected and possibly risk the world being destroyed."
    HPoH is smart enough to not telling Roy... but we have already seen a cleric who knows how vampire works.
    Maybe some High Priest (Thor? Odin?) will reveal the truth to Roy, and he'll know that slaying the vampire is the only way to save Durkon....

But I don't think that Roy winning means HPoH destroied... not now, at least. And if Roy knew that his best friend is trapped inside is own mind by an evil being, it would be a really better story.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

I am of the opinion the HPoH is not fighting seriously, but instead manipulating Roy into wrongly believing Durkon betrayed him. To what end i cannot fathom, but the HPoH has so far been depicted as a master deceiver.

Also, bear in mind that now that the HPoH has potentially vamped a large number of dwarf clerics and spoiled his Durkon "disguise", Durkon's body is no longer indispensable. Sure, the body of a 14th level cleric is extremely valious, but Hel might be willing to sacrifice it if it can advance another scheme.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think that a situation in which Roy wins would also involve him discovering the truth. It would, after all, be a shallow victory if he didn't get that kind of closure. However, if he didn't find out the truth, I do see this as an interesting possibility.

Peelee’s Lotsey

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Check what Roy said in the sixth panel of 1001.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AngelusAlvus View Post
    Even if there is no one there willing or able to correct Roy on the true nature of vampires, the biggest danger with Durkula is him being around to cast a vote on Hel's behalf before the Godsmoot ends.

Once the godsmoot is over, then Roy could have Durkon resurrected "safely." I also think that even if Roy doesn't know the true nature of the High Priest of Hel, that he does believe that Durkon only changed after being vampirized.

But... I have the feeling that even if Roy wins and stops the vote, he won't have Durkon's body handy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodz View Post
    Also, bear in mind that now that the HPoH has potentially vamped a large number of dwarf clerics and spoiled his Durkon "disguise", Durkon's body is no longer indispensable. Sure, the body of a 14th level cleric is extremely valious, but Hel might be willing to sacrifice it if it can advance another scheme.
    I think it's unlikely that HPoH vamped more than the two which were implied on-panel. After all, the meeting was due to start at any minute, and they were not going to hold it up waiting for the HPoH to show up, because no one thought that the HPoH even existed.

HPoH still has his staff, so his theoretical Thralls, even if they could ambush and vamp other people, couldn't do an immediate raise of them, so that's only two thralls he has, and one or both are basically out of spells. (Unless that's a duplicate staff, but I think that's unlikely.)
    Last edited by Stabbey; 2015-09-03 at 11:54 PM.