New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Different types of AC

I can't find anything in PHB/DMG that explicitly states the different variants of Armor Class and whether or not they all stack. Off the top of my head, there's Dodge AC, Deflection AC, Armor AC, Natural AC...hmm.

What about items? Can you stack a Chain Shirt +3 with Bracers +3, Amulet of NatArmor+3, and Ring of Protection+3?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Different types of AC

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrael View Post
    I can't find anything in PHB/DMG that explicitly states the different variants of Armor Class and whether or not they all stack. Off the top of my head, there's Dodge AC, Deflection AC, Armor AC, Natural AC...hmm.

What about items? Can you stack a Chain Shirt +3 with Bracers +3, Amulet of NatArmor+3, and Ring of Protection+3?
    Of that example, the bracers do not stack with the Chain shirt, since both provide "Armor Bonuses" to Armor Class.
    Last edited by Logic; 2007-05-10 at 10:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Basically, if you have two bonuses with different types, they stack. Two of the same type, you use the higher. The exception is Dodge, which always stacks (two different +1 Dodge bonuses give you +2). Also, Natural Armor stacks with any actual natural AC the creature has.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian c View Post
    Also, Natural Armor stacks with any actual natural AC the creature has.
    That's because items that give natural armor are written as giving an enhancement bonus to your natural armor (which is normally zero for humanoids), rather than giving you a set natural armor value.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrael View Post

I'm getting my numbers from SRD online
    ok...
    BASE AC 10
    Chain shirt give + 4 armour bonus +3 enhancement bonus for a total of + 7
    Bracers of armour give a +3 armour bonus (force) which does not stack, but does count for touch attacks
    Amulet of Natural armour +3 enhances your natural armour (0) to 3
    Ring of Protection +3 give a +3 deflection bonus

Everything but bracers was a different AC bonus source so they all stack for a total of AC 23
    for touch attacks, natural armour and armour bonus don't count except for force effects. So you get +3 bracers (armour bonus) and +3 Ring (deflection) for AC 16
    Note also that the chain shirt limits your dexterity bonus to no more than +4.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

There are WotC articles that specifically address this, here, here, here, and here.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

The various bonus types and stacking rules for them are found here in the SRD or on page 21 of the DMG.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Joe View Post
    I'm getting my numbers from SRD online
    ok...
    BASE AC 10
    Chain shirt give + 4 armour bonus +3 enhancement bonus for a total of + 7
    Bracers of armour give a +3 armour bonus (force) which does not stack, but does count for touch attacks
    Amulet of Natural armour +3 enhances your natural armour (0) to 3
    Ring of Protection +3 give a +3 deflection bonus

Everything but bracers was a different AC bonus source so they all stack for a total of AC 23
    for touch attacks, natural armour and armour bonus don't count except for force effects. So you get +3 bracers (armour bonus) and +3 Ring (deflection) for AC 16
    Note also that the chain shirt limits your dexterity bonus to no more than +4.
    Bracers only count for Incorporeal touch attacks: That scorching ray: Uses your deflection, Dex, and dodge, but not force, count for that.