Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: At the edge of Humanity : A 3.5 Monstrous game

I posted this a little while ago, but it's complete enough (still ironing out items, and I'll update the sources when I finish) that I can post it up here in the style that everyone else has been. This is Chippendale, the Mimic Ebon Saint. The tl;dr of his backstory is that he enjoyed just chilling in the human world, then fled to the deep deep Underdark in fear of human attack, hid in an Illithid coven for decades and made friends with the Elder Brain who taught him to tap into his psychic powers (and also a little karate) and now he's reemerging because he doesn't want to waste what remains of his life. He accidentally used Mind Interrogation on the Elder Brain when asking the question "Why can't monsters band together beyond their races the way surface-dwellers can?" and with its vast knowledge and wisdom the Elder Brain knew, but Chip can't really understand the response he got.

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Being a Mimic, Chip can look however he pleases, as long as it's a large object. His most frequented forms are a barrel for rolling, a wide carpet, a semi-ornate table, and the classic treasure chest. He tries to be somewhat ornate and glamorous unless the situation calls for him to be plain.

Spoiler: Picture
    Show

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Chippendale started out as a simple Mimic with simple tastes and pleasures. He was born in subterranean caverns where he would lurk in wait of adventurers, but overhearing one too many conversations from those adventurers and eating a few too many cuts of spiced meat he began to become curious about the upper world. He explored outside the dungeons and into town, and made his way more easily than most into the court of duke of the province. For years he hid in plain sight, as stone slab tables or bronze chandeliers, sneaking around in the dead of night to lap up scraps or more brazenly eating food straight off of his own face if someone put a meat pie on the table. He got fat and happy in this luxurious life.

Then came the reckoning, and the militant rise of humanity. He hadn't been very disconcerted by stuffed Umber Hulk carapaces or mounted Chuul heads that adorned the walls of the manor in his time there, after all, he disliked those creatures about as much as the humans did and it was better them on the wall than him. However, as the human force gained traction, humanity had become more proactive in the hunt of monsters. While the more obvious beasts were slain in their homes by adventurers, impromptu witch hunts had outed Doppelgangers and Lycanthropes hiding in the midst of humans. There were tales of a professional monster tracker coming to town, a Ranger who could pick out Monstrous Humanoids and Aberrations by scent alone. Chip knew that his simple deception wouldn't be able to beat this expert hunter, and so he fled the town and returned to the depths of his dungeons. But those were not at all the same. Adventuring parties had carved into the earth, pursuing fleeing subterranean dwellers, and had broken clear into the Underdark where the merciless Drow, already violent with monstrous races, had exterminated most of their slaves.

Starving after days of hiding and escaping, he followed a trail of broken bodies to a coven of Illithids, devout believers in Thoon, who were breeding Cranium Rats and Brain Moles, as well as carefully tending to a precious Hydra, in an attempt to provide a food source that they could sustain off of for the time being without collecting those precious humanoid brains they so desired. Since the brain was the only part of the rat the Illithids wanted, Chip managed to subsist off of the carcasses of the vermins which remained. This was not an enjoyable experience. But he had to be even stealthier than he had been in the human household, because the Illithids would have loved to pounce on him if only they'd known he was there!

There was one who knew of his presence. Chip was confident in his disguises, but he didn't want anyone passing by him too often with too many chances to scrutinize him. And the least-frequented place was the domain of the Elder Brain who was the newly established ruler of this small, splintered coven. The Elder Brain's telepathy picked up on the Mimic's mind, but curious about the surface dweller's luxurious experiences it did not reveal him to the coven. Chip had taken up residence as the Elder Brain's altar, and the two chatted telepathically about...well, the virtues of having influence on other things while having to remain stationary much of the time. From the Elder Brain Chip learned the gifts of psionic ability, as well as to disguise himself from all but mental detection. The Elder Brain also recognized that Chip had connection to the realm of shadow, which Chip himself was not aware of, and the Elder Brain taught him (in theory only, of course) how to use this connection as a weapon and to faintly manipulate shadowstuff in combat. Chip wasn't entirely sure why the Elder Brain taught him this, but the Elder Brain knew. It could recognize an inquisitive mind like its own, and knew that Chip would not be satisfied hiding until he died. So this was his armament.

When Chip had spent as much time as an altar has he had in the upper world, the Elder Brain told him that it was time to go. Leave, and learn about the world above, and how things had changed. When he had learned all things, Chip should return to the Illithids and tell them all he knew. With this knowledge, the Elder Brain and the Illithids would rise up again, prove victorious, and eradicate all of humanity from the surface world! Chip wasn't sure about this last part. But maybe it would work out for the best. With his freshly trained stealth skills Chip was able to evade notice and escape back to the upper world, ready to begin life anew.

Something odd had happened forty-nine years after Chip had started living in the coven. When he had been practicing manipulating shadowstuff in secret, recognizing the threat that both humans and the Illithids posed to him and the need to defend himself, he had wondered "Humanity bands together across the difference of species to hunt us down. Why can't monstrous creatures do the same? What is the secret to human collaboration?" His concentration lapsed, and his Shadow Garrote lashed out against the Elder Brain. The Elder Brain was not seriously harmed, of course, and was in a sense pleased that Chip was developing this skill. But as the shadow linked to gray matter, Chip saw in his mind's eye a message, meaning, and inscrutable purpose to be fulfilled. He has yet to understand what this vision means.

Spoiler: Sources
    Show
    Sources:
    Dark Template: Tome of Magic pg 161

Swordsage: Tome of Battle pg 15
    Psychic Rogue: http://archive.wizards.com/default.a.../psm/20040723b
    Ebon Saint: Complete Psionic pg 22

Darkstalker feat: Lords of Madness pg 179
    Adaptive Style feat: Tome of Battle pg 28

Maneuvers and Stances: Tome of Battle pg 41
    All powers are in the SRD

Amulet of Enemy Detection: Magic of Eberron pg 125
    Darklight: Secrets of Sarlona pg 140

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey Corvus,

Which way would you rule for the Illuminating weapon special ability (MiC). would it have an off switch (in a sense) besides sheathing the blade or not?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Darn, I liked my ghost.

It'll be at least tomorrow before my new sheet is up, but I'll be very large and in charge. Ranger3/Fighter2/Forest Reeve(CC)//Treant 8.

I rather like the look of the Awesome Blow feat, especially since I never get more than the 2 slams.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

We could be the all wooden party... a Dryad and her living wardrobe, a kind of dryadish guy (a Guyad?), a treant, and... well, I guess Chippendale is faux wood, actually...
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarai View Post
    Someone put all the Dragon Magazine flaws on the internet. http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/flaws
    Beautiful, Nyarai, thanks!

I don't really have a problem with these flaws or the UA flaws. As long as they are meaningful to the character, you may take them. But don't consider them necessary. The same goes with traits, if there are outside sources.

I'm really happy with how you all are citing sources and putting them up. Since 3.5 is so incredibly vast, it makes research easier and enjoyable to see what people find!

Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    Second, I agree the math on LA buy-off is confusing, particularly when it's mixed with gestalt. Maybe the simplest solution is to ask, How would you calculate our LA buy off?
    I have to be really careful in answering this. Let me examples of the spirit I was aiming for:

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    I eventually chose a major Titan bloodline for my bonus XP. Why Titan? Well... I didn't really fancy adding more Celestial to an already Half-Celestial creature, so I went and looked up the ancestry of the actual mythological Pegasus. Long story short, unless there's a primordial deity bloodline I'm not seeing, that's the closest I can get to the original's ancestry.

Spoiler: Greek Mythology Research
    Show

As far as I can see, Pegasus' ancestors included the following:

Generation 1:
    Gaia (Primordial Deity, possibly parentless)

Generation 2:
    Pontus (Primordial Deity, child of Gaia)
    Uranus (Primordial Deity, child of Gaia)

Generation 3:
    Ceto (Primordial Deity, child of Pontus and Gaia)
    Cronus (Titan, child of Uranus and Gaia)
    Phorcys (Primordial Deity, sometimes considered a Titan, child of Pontus and Gaia)
    Rhea (Titan, child of Uranus and Gaia)

Generation 4:
    Medusa (Gorgon, child of Phorcys and Ceto)
    Poseidon (Olympian, child of Cronus and Rhea)

Generation 5:
    Pegasus (Winged Horse, child of Poseidon and Medusa)

So, 5 Primordial Deities, 2 Titans, 1 Olympian, 1 Gorgon in the Pegasus' bloodline. Without a Primordial bloodline to use, and since I don't want even more celestial in the build, I'm taking Titan.

(Plus it's a good fit, both in bonuses and suggested personality, for the Warblade I'm busy making )
    Quote Originally Posted by Swami Monsoon View Post
    Chameleon would fit my concept as well.
    Stealth, climbing, etc.
    No imba HiPS.
    10' tongue tendril could be used on objects otherwise out of reach.
    I could swap out my extra Warlock invocation for something else and avoid rules fudging.
    Edit: Chameleon it is.
    Thank you, Swami and whoiam!
    Basically, I hoped to foster an interesting level of either Bloodlines or level-1 templates onto pre-existing monsters, if desired, to create new versions of what we've already seen. Perhaps it would have been best to state it out in the beginning.

LA Buyoff
    I didn't spoiler this, because I think the discussion applies to everyone.

First, what I understand you to mean with the statement to "buy off template separately," is that if, for example, someone had two +1 templates, they could buy both of them off at 3rd level by paying the XP price twice (once for each template). Do I have that right?
    Backing me against a wall here @[email protected]

Yes! The idea is that you use a gratuitous amount of bonus XP to create interesting, nuanced monsters with a decent-length story to back up your choices. I didn't say it outright in the hopes you would figure it out, but it's certainly the direction I intended it to go (as opposed to hey, look this makes my character fracking broken, let's do it!

[magebred + int calculation]
    Magebred gives you similar benefit to Warbeast template (without the addition of being able to equip barding). Sure, +1 LA.

Stegyre, you're sure goot at picking up details! What I was thinking was use awaken to add intelligence once calculations are done: it offsets a large penalty. Note that it factors better with a template like Magebred, which raises intelligence.
    Using awaken to set intelligence and then factor the scores, as originally intended, is another way of doing it.

What deities is this game going with, out of curiosity? Got to that field and just went, "Uh... Tiamat????"
    Let's deal with the standard pantheon with Bahamut and Tiamat thrown in. That sound reasonable and un-complicated? No one seems to be clamoring for a cleric, so this isn't a terribly important issue regarding domains / powers.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2015-09-08 at 12:25 AM.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    DM of Rokugan ItS | Nezumi

more

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Equipment Buy
    Show
    Fullblade (Huge Size) 150 GP
    - Masterwork 300 GP
    - Hideaway 2000 GP
    - Crystal of Illumination 400 GP
    - +1 Bloodfeeding 8,000 GP
    - Baatorian Green Steel 2,000 GP

Breastplate 200 GP
    - Elven Darkleaf 2,250 GP
    - +1 Pitspawned 4,000 GP
    - Nimbleness 600 GP

Strongarm Bracers 6,000 GP
    Bag of Holding Type #1 2,500 GP
    Backpack 2 GP
    Boots of Agile Leaping 600 GP
    Healing Belt 750 GP
    Silk Rope 10 GP
    Winter Blanket + Bedroll 6 SP
    MW Thieves Tools 100 GP

Vutha Suaco, a Reth Dekala Crusader Psion is getting there. I think he's almost done, minus his backstory and features (hair, height, etc) (something in which i'm not sure how to do with him in this case).

Show
    Elven Darkleaf, Fullblade, Baatorian Green Steel (Arms & Equipment Guide P. 6-7, 13, 19-20)
    Psion (Expanded Psionics Handbook)
    Crusader (Tome of Battle P. 8-14)
    Bloodfeeding, Nimbleness, Hideaway, Illuminating; Healing belt, Boots of Agile Leaping (Magic Item Compendium[Shiny New Version] P. 13, 29, 36, 76, 110)
    Pitspawned{Weapon/Armor Template} (Dungeon's Master's Guide #2 P. 278)

Spoiler: And finally... Pictures
    Show
    Vutha Suaco

Volts the Psicrystal

Show
    There was a time when after Vutha had helped slay his own master, he was content with slaying his mortal descendants (see ToB P. 154). However, as the years past by, he found that he was doing this for no reason other than to rid himself of his torment. Vutha decided to embrace what he had become and live elsewhere than Acheron. When it came time to leave again to head to the mortal world, Vutha figured this to be his opportunity to get away from anymore fighting and live his life as normally as possible.

However, the fighting seemed destined to follow in his footsteps. As when he landed in the mortal world from the astral caravan, the only thing he saw was a human male chasing a gold wyrmling dragon. The human was toying with it, making it run in circles and eventually into a corner, trapping it poised and ready to kill. Vutha couldn't stand by and watch this happen. He rushed in and cleaved into the man with his sword. For a moment, the Vilefire temporarily released on his skin freeing him from the torment. Vutha immediately realized that he just killed one of his descendants. Vutha staggered backward a foot or two until he hit into a tree. Looking at his hands, he cursed himself for killing another descendant. Meanwhile, the gold dragon walked over to him, staring at him intently. As the dragon stared, a Psicrystal formed into existence near Vutha's head. The dragon became somewhat confused as this was something it never encountered before. The Psicrystal spoke to Vutha in his head saying, "the dragon's watching us, what do you think it's going to do?" Vutha looked up at the dragon, only now realizing that his sword was behind the dragon. The dragon looked over at Vutha and said in the only language it could at the time, Draconic, "Thank you for saving me, my name is Wer Siksta, what's yours?" Vutha replied without even thinking about any consequences, "my name is Vutha Suaco." "Hey, I don't think that was a wise move, who knows if the dragon is going to remember that to hunt you down when it gets older?" the Psicrystal thought. Vutha responded to the Psicrystal, "If that happens, I might just welcome death then." The dragon nodded to Vutha saying, "well, again thanks. If we happen to cross paths again, who knows, maybe I can help you at that time with something you need, well got to run." With that the dragon turns and runs further into the forest.

Vutha slowly gets up from the tree and picks up his sword and says "dakma", in which the sword starts folding itself into a dagger in which he then sheathes it and looks back to where the caravan was. "I will stop these people from hurting for fun" Vutha thinks to himself while he's looking back. However when he looks to where it was, it's no longer there. So now Vutha wanders the world fighting off those who harm/kill monsters for fun.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Does not getting a full night's rest affect non-spellcasters? I'll take it either way, but I won't take a feat if there's no mechanical drawback. Yay fluff. (Though I will be a spellcaster. You know, a very long time from now. Possibly after the game is over.)
    Last edited by Nyarai; 2015-09-08 at 08:20 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

There's no explicit rules for it as far as I know - by RAW someone can avoid the fatigue from sleeping in heavy armor by just staying awake all night! But if you want to use something like Insomnia as your flaw, Corvus may put together some house rules for how much sleep you need each night to avoid becoming fatigued or exhausted.

9. - Top - End - #249

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    Show
    - Masterwork 300 GP
    - Hideaway 2000 GP
    - Illuminating 500 GP

Breastplate 200 GP
    - +1 Pitspawned 4,000 GP
    - Nimbleness 600 GP

Backpack 2 GP
    Healing Belt 750 GP
    Silk Rope 10 GP
    MW Thieves Tools 100 GP

Vutha Suaco, a Reth Dekala Crusader Psion is getting there. I think he's almost done, minus his backstory and features (hair, height, etc) (something in which i'm not sure how to do with him in this case).

Show
    Elven Darkleaf, Fullblade, Baatorian Green Steel (Arms & Equipment Guide)
    Crusader (Tome of Battle)
    Bloodfeeding, Nimbleness, Hideaway, Illuminating; Healing belt, Boots of Agile Leaping (Magic Item Compendium)
    Pitspawned{Weapon/Armor Template} (Dungeon's Master's Guide #2)

Show
    Vutha Suaco

Volts
    Is Reth Dekala permitted? Even if the statblock says "usually LE" and yours isn't, it does still have the Evil subtype, which I thought Corvus was disallowing on an Outsider.

Does not getting a full night's rest affect non-spellcasters? I'll take it either way, but I won't take a feat if there's no mechanical drawback. Yay fluff. (Though I will be a spellcaster. You know, a very long time from now. Possibly after the game is over.)
    Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    There's no explicit rules for it as far as I know - by RAW someone can avoid the fatigue from sleeping in heavy armor by just staying awake all night! But if you want to use something like Insomnia as your flaw, Corvus may put together some house rules for how much sleep you need each night to avoid becoming fatigued or exhausted.
    There actually are rules about lack of sleep, though they're tucked away in an odd location: Elder Evils page 9. Personally I think they're pretty lenient. They say that a creature can go without sleep for a number of days equal to its Constitution modifier (minimum 1) and after that time it becomes fatigued. Any effect that would cause it to become fatigued after that instead makes it exhausted. You remain in this fatigued state for a number of days equal to its Constitution modifier (minimum 1) again, and after that you take one point of Wisdom damage for each day you remain awake. If the total Wisdom damage exceeds your hit dice then you're affected as by an Insanity spell, and once your Wis reaches 0 you become unconscious but don't recover your Wis naturally (although that last part might be relating specifically to the fact that these sleepless nights are causes by the sign of an Elder Evil).

They aren't perfect rules, and I think too permissive since literally any creature can sleep once every other day with no penalty, most could sleep every 3-4 days and a character with the Tireless feat and an Orb of Mental Renewal (arguably you don't even need the orb because it wouldn't progress) never needs to sleep. So perhaps a more critical ruling is in order. But those there are the only established sleeping rules I could find.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    Is Reth Dekala permitted? Even if the statblock says "usually LE" and yours isn't, it does still have the Evil subtype, which I thought Corvus was disallowing on an Outsider.
    I would imagine so, ~corvus~ suggested reth dekala to me earlier on before I decided on purple worm.

I get the impression that the restriction is no undead at all but no EVIL outsiders
    Spoiler: Games I'm a part of
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes I've talked to Corvus (or rather he talked me into it) so it's allowed.

12. - Top - End - #252

MindFlayer

Oh, huh. I was expecting that if non-Evil Undead are banned because they're made out of evil energy, then Outsiders who are literally physical manifestations of Evil would also be. But neat.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, huh. I was expecting that if non-Evil Undead are banned because they're made out of evil energy, then Outsiders who are literally physical manifestations of Evil would also be. But neat.
    remember that angels are outsiders too
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I donīt remember who said they wanted to be a ghost, but I figured out how they can play it, sense you canīt play an undead you can just play a deathless and sense they are good energy-undeads you are set.

edit: does anybody know of a way to get max dex higher without mithral, this is the first time my dex is so high I find this problem. (using bracers of armor wonīt do it because Iīm using deathstrike bracers to sneak attack constructs and the like)
    Last edited by neriractor; 2015-09-08 at 10:23 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Smeggedoff View Post
    remember that angels are outsiders too
    Well...yeah? But they aren't made out of literal physical manifestations of Evil, they're made out of literal physical manifestations of Good.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by neriractor View Post
    I donīt remember who said they wanted to be a ghost, but I figured out how they can play it, sense you canīt play an undead you can just play a deathless and sense they are good energy-undeads you are set.

edit: does anybody know of a way to get max dex higher without mithral, this is the first time my dex is so high I find this problem. (using bracers of armor wonīt do it because Iīm using deathstrike bracers to sneak attack constructs and the like)
    Just use the MIC rules on combined effects on a magic item.
    Only a fool fights in a burning house - Klingon proverb

They say "may you live in interesting times"...Ive tried interesting and now I'll take boring.

I am not trusting my research paper to some millennial. They'll put unicorn emojis on it and post it on social media.
    - Sheldon Cooper

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Well...yeah? But they aren't made out of literal physical manifestations of Evil, they're made out of literal physical manifestations of Good.
    ...yeah, you you made a blanket statement that outsiders are physical manifestations of evil and I refuted that by pointing out that angels are outsiders too... so... thanks for agreeing with my point I guess?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Smeggedoff View Post
    ...yeah, you you made a blanket statement that outsiders are physical manifestations of evil and I refuted that by pointing out that angels are outsiders too... so... thanks for agreeing with my point I guess?
    I see where you misunderstood me, I was saying that "Outsiders who are literally physical manifestations of Evil would also be [banned]". You read it as "Outsiders, who are literally physical manifestations of Evil, would also be [banned]". It's not how I wrote it, but it's understandable why you thought I said that.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

ah, gotcha
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    Show
    - Masterwork 300 GP
    - Hideaway 2000 GP
    - Illuminating 500 GP

Breastplate 200 GP
    - +1 Pitspawned 4,000 GP
    - Nimbleness 600 GP

Backpack 2 GP
    Healing Belt 750 GP
    Silk Rope 10 GP
    MW Thieves Tools 100 GP

Show
    Elven Darkleaf, Fullblade, Baatorian Green Steel (Arms & Equipment Guide P. 6-7, 13, 19-20)
    Crusader (Tome of Battle P. 8-14)
    Bloodfeeding, Nimbleness, Hideaway, Illuminating; Healing belt, Boots of Agile Leaping (Magic Item Compendium[Shiny New Version] P. 13, 29, 36, 76, 110)
    Pitspawned{Weapon/Armor Template} (Dungeon's Master's Guide #2 P. 278)

Show
    Vutha Suaco

Volts the Psicrystal

Show
    There was a time when after Vutha had helped slay his own master, he was content with slaying his mortal descendants (see ToB P. 154). However, as the years past by, he found that he was doing this for no reason other than to rid himself of his torment. Vutha decided to embrace what he had become and live elsewhere than Acheron. When it came time to leave again to head to the mortal world, Vutha figured this to be his opportunity to get away from anymore fighting and live his life as normally as possible.

However, the fighting seemed destined to follow in his footsteps. As when he landed in the mortal world from the astral caravan, the only thing he saw was a human male chasing a gold wyrmling dragon. The human was toying with it, making it run in circles and eventually into a corner, trapping it poised and ready to kill. Vutha couldn't stand by and watch this happen. He rushed in and cleaved into the man with his sword. For a moment, the Vilefire temporarily released on his skin freeing him from the torment. Vutha immediately realized that he just killed one of his descendants. Vutha staggered backward a foot or two until he hit into a tree. Looking at his hands, he cursed himself for killing another descendant. Meanwhile, the gold dragon walked over to him, staring at him intently. As the dragon stared, a Psicrystal formed into existence near Vutha's head. The dragon became somewhat confused as this was something it never encountered before. The Psicrystal spoke to Vutha in his head saying, "the dragon's watching us, what do you think it's going to do?" Vutha looked up at the dragon, only now realizing that his sword was behind the dragon. The dragon looked over at Vutha and said in the only language it could at the time, Draconic, "Thank you for saving me, my name is Wer Siksta, what's yours?" Vutha replied without even thinking about any consequences, "my name is Vutha Suaco." "Hey, I don't think that was a wise move, who knows if the dragon is going to remember that to hunt you down when it gets older?" the Psicrystal thought. Vutha responded to the Psicrystal, "If that happens, I might just welcome death then." The dragon nodded to Vutha saying, "well, again thanks. If we happen to cross paths again, who knows, maybe I can help you at that time with something you need, well got to run." With that the dragon turns and runs further into the forest.

Vutha slowly gets up from the tree and picks up his sword and says "dakma", in which the sword starts folding itself into a dagger in which he then sheathes it and looks back to where the caravan was. "I will stop these people from hurting for fun" Vutha thinks to himself while he's looking back. However when he looks to where it was, it's no longer there. So now Vutha wanders the world fighting off those who harm/kill monsters for fun.
    Alright, Post updated. Sources #'d and backstory applied. Let me know Corvus (or anyone else) if you see something wrong (besides my race lol).

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Up to 10 finished sheets now... probably 13 or 14 when we're done. This competition is going to be brutal. :(

A setting question... What happened to the orcs, goblins and similar humanoids? Were they on one side of the war, or did they stay neutral? Did they survive?

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Can I pay the XP costs to have someone cast a spell?
    Specifically,
    The SRD says spellcasting for a 9th-level spell is 90gp x CL. A 17th-level wizard casting Wish just costs 1530gp... so I could spend 3060gp and my 10,000 vanishing XP to get a +2 inherent bonus (or, in theory, 50k gp of items, but let's not break the game).

Also, where do I find rules for large rock-throwing? My Treant is Large and just uses slams; I'd like to get a +1 returning boulder for throwing, so that he's got a ranged option.
    Races of Stone. Apparently without a feat it's just an improvised-weapon penalty. A 50# boulder only does 2d6+str damage.
    Last edited by J-H; 2015-09-08 at 01:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Can I pay the XP costs to have someone cast a spell?
    Specifically,
    The SRD says spellcasting for a 9th-level spell is 90gp x CL. A 17th-level wizard casting Wish just costs 1530gp... so I could spend 3060gp and my 10,000 vanishing XP to get a +2 inherent bonus (or, in theory, 50k gp of items, but let's not break the game).
    There is the Transference spell on Wizards site (Can't access from work) where you can use your XP for crafting...

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

'Terope' the Treant is done, except for his biography.
    http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/....php?cid=81912

I may still add a flaw to pick up Combat Reflexes, or do something to take advantage of the free 10k xp.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Huh, looks like Fatigued is a fair bit worse than I thought. Might have to see if I can take a feat after all.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

If you're taking that Insomniac flaw and not taking a feat, I can see giving you some wiggle room.

more

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

So, having scoured my brain for good ideas, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to withdraw interest. Nothing really seems to pop out at me, unfortunately. Good luck, all, and see you around Corvus.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Always a pleasure, good sir, and see you around

more

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    Halla in process.
    Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    ~Corvus~, I just noticed you updated the front page. Thinking you may have missed this post.
    Other notes contain all of the crunch of the character with book references. It will also contain his backstory and relevant information once I'm done with it. His purchased items will contain its own references.
    Halls is complete. I will continue to work his backstory in greater detail but it outlines his major events and how he ended up where he is.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

I added the Darkstalker feat in exchange for the Skulker flaw (make a Will save or be Shaken if attacked in melee).
    I think it fits the character's theme. He's now ridiculously stealthy but can't really use it offensively... he does not have a sneak attack or enough burst damage to KO most targets, and he can't hide in plain sight. But he's great at passive scouting. He's still a little bit of a coward, physically at least. He does not come from a martial or adventuring background, and doesn't really enjoy fighting, much less killing (but I'm guessing there will be times when he won't have much of choice in the matter ).