Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Need help comparing 3 shields with abilities.

Hi

In a campaign I'm DMing I plan to have the PCs find a lump of Adamantine and give them the choice to craft it into a weapon (improved Critical), armor (ignore Critical, as in the DMG) or a shield. The shield abilities I'm down to are :

"Can be made slightly larger, but thinner due to the hardness of the material, which gives the bearer Evasion."

or

"Can be made more compact, which gives the bearer advantage on push/knock prone checks."

or

"Double the AC bonus from the shield versus ranged attacks/spells that target only you."

I would really appreciate some help in comparing these 3 abilities. If there are other suggestions those are of course welcome too :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Need help comparing 3 shields with abilities.

Incredibly powerful.

Pretty good.

Too much bookkeeping for my taste.
    My homebrew: A list of 5e homebrew magitech augments found here, a homebrew race of devil-toads here, and the Professional, an all mundane support class. Criticism is much appreciated!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    Incredibly powerful.

Pretty good.

Too much bookkeeping for my taste.
    First of, thanks for the reply :)

I felt the first one was OP, so I think i will change it so that it gives you resistance to area damage, but only if you succeed on the Dex save.

The third one I might just change to: Add 2 to your Dex save against area damage effects.

4. - Top - End - #4

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Groggen View Post

I felt the first one was OP, so I think i will change it so that it gives you resistance to area damage, but only if you succeed on the Dex save.

The third one I might just change to: Add 2 to your Dex save against area damage effects.
    That might be better. Else, Adamantine Shield = Shield Master feat.
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigoAlves
    Once a player almost fell into a trap full of spikes. He asked me "how much damage would a spike do?"
    I said "Instant death"
    Then, he grabbed a spike and used it as a weapon for the rest of the adventure.

5. - Top - End - #5

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Groggen View Post

I think that first change seems right about the power level you're looking for. I don't love having to add numbers to scores under very specific circumstances in 5e, but the second change probably works fine too.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2015-09-07 at 11:08 PM.
    My homebrew: A list of 5e homebrew magitech augments found here, a homebrew race of devil-toads here, and the Professional, an all mundane support class. Criticism is much appreciated!