New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Being Everything: Eggynack's Comprehensive Druid Handbook

Hey! I’ve just read this awesome guide. Thank you.

I know I’m a bit late to the party, but this guide doesn’t list dwarf as a potential race for Druid. Is this just because it’s a bad (red) choice?

2. - Top - End - #842
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jdq38 View Post

I know I’m a bit late to the party, but this guide doesn’t list dwarf as a potential race for Druid. Is this just because it’s a bad (red) choice?
    From my point of view as a non-expert, I’d say the Dwarf is at best a mediocre choice. Most of its traits can be replicated by Wild Shape or are completely useless in combat.
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

3. - Top - End - #843
    Ogre in the Playground

Dwarf is an alternative to Human as a core choice for +2 CON and Darkvision, but it's mostly a low-level pick for those two things.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

4. - Top - End - #844
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Dwarf is core-only and has a con boost, which is probably worth mentioning, as well as having a decent pile of misc modifiers. It's not as good as the human's bonus feat(unless the moving full-speed in armor thing sticks around while wildshaped), but I'd say it's decent.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Banned

But, what about epic?
    Bwahahahah, couldn't resist, but seriously, epic wildshape feats change the build dramatically, especially if you want to go something like, oh, I dunno, a dragon.

6. - Top - End - #846

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Dwarf brings a lot to the table.
    The increased CON boosts your Fort save while outside wildshape, and your total hit points even in wildshape. Also, save bonuses against spells, spell like abilities and poison apply in wildshape, too.

Another thing to note is the Ancestral Knowledge feat, a dwarven-only feat which allows you to use WIS instead of INT for Knowledge checks, and makes you trained in all Knowledge skills.
    Last edited by noce; 2020-04-28 at 03:33 AM.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Thank you for all your replies. Noce, I will look into the ancestral knowledge feat. However, I will also dig into some of these other races for my build. I’m still fairly new to D&D so this is all very helpful.

8. - Top - End - #848

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Thank you for all your replies. Noce, I will look into the ancestral knowledge feat. However, I will also dig into some of these other races for my build. I’m still fairly new to D&D so this is all very helpful.
    You're welcome. While you're at it, take a look at the Dream Dwarf subrace.
    Favored Class Druid, no cha penalty, improved darkvision, can see ethereal creatures, +1 caster level with Divination and [Earth] spells.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

You state in the guide that summoning is one of the most powerful facets of any druid, even if that druid isn’t focused on summoning. I was therefore wondering how you would deal with "protection from..." spells that explicitly block the beatstick and grappling applications of SNA? It seems to me (with my laymans eyes) that a low-level spell effectively counters one of the classes strongest suites. Is there a workaround or do you simply have to rely on SNA3+ to get something that has SLAs?

10. - Top - End - #850
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey there awesome guide but I got a question regarding wild shape as you listed some of the possible best wild shape forms for level 8 which don't require level 8 like dire wolf (6HD) or Dire bat (4HD). Is there a reason for that? Aren't they useful at the level they can be used initially?
    Thanks in advance :)

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skuzzle View Post
    Hey there awesome guide but I got a question regarding wild shape as you listed some of the possible best wild shape forms for level 8 which don't require level 8 like dire wolf (6HD) or Dire bat (4HD). Is there a reason for that? Aren't they useful at the level they can be used initially?
    Thanks in advance :)
    Level 8 is when druids unlock large forms.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Pixie in the Playground

oh boy I should read descriptions more carefully :D Thanks a lot for the quick answer :)

13. - Top - End - #853
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kenadius View Post
    You state in the guide that summoning is one of the most powerful facets of any druid, even if that druid isn’t focused on summoning. I was therefore wondering how you would deal with "protection from..." spells that explicitly block the beatstick and grappling applications of SNA? It seems to me (with my laymans eyes) that a low-level spell effectively counters one of the classes strongest suites. Is there a workaround or do you simply have to rely on SNA3+ to get something that has SLAs?
    So funny story: Protection From Evil blocks bodily contact from all non-good summoned creatures, but Protection From Good, Protection From Chaos, and Protection From Law only block the opposed alignments. Most of the Summon Nature's Ally list is True Neutral, so while Protection From Evil shuts down druid summons, the rest don't.

Of course that's almost certainly an oversight in how the spells were written - but it's a thing.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ogre in the Playground

So I've been checking out your Shifter Section and I have an addition: Saurian Shifters are objectively better than vanilla shifters - not a lateral move. In the section describing the Shifting (Su) ability for Saurian Shifters on page 62, it is mentioned that Saurian Shifters are not at all restricted to the trait list presented in the magazine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon 328
    In addition to a number of common shifter traits, several unique to saurian shifters are described in the following section.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Orc in the Playground

There's one small advantage riding dogs have that's not listed. Dogs are a ubiquitous working animal and pet, and therefore generally far less likely to draw suspicion and scrutiny from observers. It's similar to the caveat with huge creatures that have excellent abilities, but being huge won't necessarily be able to accompany you 100% of the time. The best ability is availability.

16. - Top - End - #856

GreenSorcererElf

A wolf can look like a dog.
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Being Everything: Eggynack's Comprehensive Druid Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by el minster View Post
    A wolf can look like a dog.
    At first glance, yes, but anyone with any ranks in Knowledge Nature will be able to tell very easily in-game and, realistically, in a medieval society which is closer to nature and where people DO need to protect their farm animals from wolves, people will know.

18. - Top - End - #858

GreenSorcererElf

Say you tamed a wolf.

Proudly Chaotic

19. - Top - End - #859
    Orc in the Playground

A druid cannot likely afford to invest much in the skills necessary to explain their way through many sticky situations. With that said, I have pulled the very same con about passing a wolf off as a dog, but ultimately wolves, as mentioned in the guide, are a slightly mechanically inferior choice anyway. Even among dog choices, I would avoid anything that might be mistaken as a wolf such as a malamute or husky, and stick with a St. Bernard. Conveniently, St. Bernards are specifically mentioned in the riding dog entry. I can't think of a comparably sized dog that appears *less* intimidating than a St. Bernard.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to mention this, but it looks like part of the Constitution section was accidentally deleted.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

21. - Top - End - #861

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Not sure if this is the appropriate place to mention this, but it looks like part of the Constitution section was accidentally deleted.
    It's fine to mention it here.

Proudly Chaotic

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ogre in the Playground

@eggynack
    Is Druid your class of choice for when you're playing a PC? What about NPCs? If not, which is your class of choice and why?
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

23. - Top - End - #863

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    @eggynack
    Is Druid your class of choice for when you're playing a PC? What about NPCs? If not, which is your class of choice and why?
    What about Spirit Shamans

Proudly Chaotic

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey Eggy this might have already been asked, if so my apologies, but how do you feel on mother cyst (and the necrotic cyst spell line) for an evil druid?

It doesn't give you much at 1st lvl but starting at 3rd and going forward you have some nice stuff. You can probably do some handle animal to get friendly animals on which to implant the cyst and then they become good targets for scrying. You can also get to dominate stuff at 7th lvl, if you can summon a yellow musk creeper then and get a permanent one by having it turn a critter into a zombie and then a new plant then that would be a good target to dominate. Down the line you can make critter bombs easier than most other people by simply using animals. Necrotic Empowerment gives you less wisdom for your spell slot than owl's insight but it should stack with it no problem.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

...Actually, *can* any caster use Necrotic Cyst? I’m AFB but I thought the spells could only be used with the Wiz/Sorc and Cleric lists.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    ...Actually, *can* any caster use Necrotic Cyst? I’m AFB but I thought the spells could only be used with the Wiz/Sorc and Cleric lists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libris Mortis
    Prerequisite: Caster level 1st, [...]
    Benefit: [...] The mother cyst grants you access to a selection of cyst-related spells listed below (and described in Chapter 4 of Libris Mortis). You cast these spells like any other spell you can cast, once you host a mother cyst (if you are a caster who prepares spells, you can prepare all necrotic cyst spells without referring to a spellbook, as if you had the Spell Mastery feat for each such spell).
    I think so.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

27. - Top - End - #867
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Is it possible do download this master thesis of a handbook as a single pdf? all i seem to be able to get are 80 page chunks at a time... which you would think... would be.. enough.. but instead that's just spell levels 5-9.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Sorry if this has been mentioned before (I'll admit I haven't read through all 29 pages of comments) but might it be worth adding the Grizzly Mastodon (MM2) to the list of level 15 Wild Shape forms? As far as I can see it's got the best melee attacks of any animal up to that point.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks like the Uldras (Frostburn) is missing in the races section. -2 Str, +2 Wis/Con and a bit of other things for +1 LA seems kinda comparable to Lesser Aasimar.

30. - Top - End - #870

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by watupwithdat View Post
    It looks like the Uldras (Frostburn) is missing in the races section. -2 Str, +2 Wis/Con and a bit of other things for +1 LA seems kinda comparable to Lesser Aasimar.
    Lesser Aasimar is +0 LA, though. (and reasonable to argue unbalanced, as well). Druids get a lot per level (casting, wild shape, animal companion, skills aren't terrible). Core Dwarf or Human is superior to Uldras. If Unearthed Arcana LA buyoff is in play, it might barely be worth considering. But LA buyoff isn't standard or balanced, I don't think Uldras makes the cut.