New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Zero-to-Hero Ability Scores for E6 [PEACH]

Here's a quick idea I had: to emphasize the difference between "you at level 1" and "you at level 6", start everyone off with a lower stat array, but give them rapid improvements to their ability scores.

To whit:

Every PC starts with the non-Elite ability score array. Put an A next to the ability score you put your 13 into, a B next to the one you put a 12 into, a C next to the one that you put an 11 into, a D next to the one you put your 10 into, and an E next to the one you put the 9 into.

At 2nd level, a PC increases ability scores A and B by one. In addition, they increase one ability score that receives a Racial penalty by one, as well as one other ability score that receives neither a racial bonus nor penalty.
    At 3rd level, a PC increases ability scores C and D by one.
    At 4th level, a PC increases ability score E, as well as one other of their choice, by one. In addition, they increase one ability score that receives a racial bonus and one that receives a racial penalty by one.
    At 5th level, a PC increases ability scores A and C by one.
    At 6th level, a PC increases ability scores B and D by one. In addition, they increase one ability score that receives a Racial bonus by one, as well as one other ability score that receives neither a racial bonus nor penalty.

This is purposefully designed so that you'll end up with the Elite array plus 3 discretionary points, 2 points split amongst your racial bonuses, and 2 points split between your racial penalties. For races that don't receive ability score bonuses, they lose out on those particular bonus points - they basically trade two extra points of ability scores for whatever other bonuses they have.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Zero-to-Hero Ability Scores for E6 [PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    For races that don't receive ability score bonuses, they lose out on those particular bonus points - they basically trade two extra points of ability scores for whatever other bonuses they have.
    But that was their balancing factor at level 1.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

With some thought, you are pretty much right.

Back to the drawing board...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    With some thought, you are pretty much right.

Back to the drawing board...
    Not sure you need to throw everything and start anew.
    You could state that if they don't have a stat with the appropriate modifier (up or down), then:
    1. They choose an ability score without modifiers.
    2. Under that clause, they can't choose the same unmodified stat twice in a row.
    Of course it'll need some rephrasing to prevent abuse, but it seems balanced to me that way.