New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Will Save World for Gold

There was a previous thread for this comic (which you can start reading here) on here, but it seems to have fallen to the wayside. Anyways I made this thread rather than posting on the on-site forums because 1) I don't really like making new accounts on websites unless I am certain I will use that account often and 2) I have something I really want to say in regards to the most recent comic, which is:

Spoiler
    Show
    WHAT THE HELL PEANUT?! Enslaving enemies and people that wronged you personally (which I don't believe Ell's parents have) is one thing, but enslaving your friend's parents is not okay!

I mean....okay, enslaving anyone is not okay and I know the Evergards are far from a fan favorite, but this still feels like a far cry from the guy that paid for a large family's circus tickets just because he can't stand to see kids without balloons.

I would also like to note a serious lack of world saving in this comic, though I suppose they just aren't high enough level for that.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2015-09-08 at 12:46 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Will Save World for Gold

He's probably Unaligned - so this sort of 'whatever makes me feel good' behavior is in keeping with his (theorized) alignment. It's not Good, but not necessarily Evil yet either.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't think he has any concept of the moral implications of what he's doing. He's just doing stuff he finks is funny, and he's getting back at Ardon and people because he can. I doubt he'd go all evil and make them do his bidding for long.

But then again, power does corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

I'm sure he will come around once Odie and El ask him to

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Peanut is right, giving away the amulet puts him under someone else's power. Faced with that why trust anyone else with it?

I wouldn't trust the skull with it either, even thought I suspect he will be cool with it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

WSWFG is pretty much the comic of weird moralities by now.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Well at least of the people that wanted the amulet, Peanut seems to be the best user of it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

If Peanut is enslaving people that were jerks to him, why isn't 45 enslaved?

9. - Top - End - #9

When was 45 a jerk to Peanut?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    When was 45 a jerk to Peanut?
    How about when he, along with the innkeeper, made Peanut work without getting paid or when he left Peanut to die when the Guardian showed up.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    If Peanut is enslaving people that were jerks to him, why isn't 45 enslaved?
    Fortyfive's jerkery was mostly passive, merely allowing crappy things to happen to Peanut without interfering. Therefore he got stabbed once early on and things were left at that. Ardon's jerkery, however, is very much intentional and aggressive and therefore warranted more serious acts of vengeance.

12. - Top - End - #12

How about when he, along with the innkeeper, made Peanut work without getting paid or when he left Peanut to die when the Guardian showed up.
    The former is on the innkeeper's shoulders - 45 was just another employee of the inn. And how would you pay a subsentient drone, anyways, or even get it to understand the concept of money? You could just as easily interpret their actions as benevolent by giving the lost and stupid kobold a roof over its head and meals, putting it to menial work for that room+board.

He was at worst guilty of passive neglect, as pointed out; he got his one stabbing and Peanut considered them square.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ...and he broke it.

Its because he said "please", isnt it?
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Spoiler
    Show
    Or ordering Ardon to stop doing bad things is impossible and the amulet couldn't handle it.

15. - Top - End - #15

Yup, it was an Impossible Command.

Now who is this joker that just oneshot all of the enemy minions. Have we seen him before?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

He is part of the Sons of Solemnity.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Yup, it was an Impossible Command.

Now who is this joker that just oneshot all of the enemy minions. Have we seen him before?
    There in the same party as Ell's parents if I remember right.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Someone needs to explain to me what Solar Wrath does so I can figure out what, if anything, it says about the waiter in the upper left of the last panel.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Someone needs to explain to me what Solar Wrath does so I can figure out what, if anything, it says about the waiter in the upper left of the last panel.
    It selectively targets all enemies (and only enemies) in a large area near the caster and deals a bunch of radiant damage to each of them (subject to an attack roll, no effect on a miss). I guess this means Solar Wrath Guy (I'm declaring that his official name now ) considered the waiter an enemy, or at least thought he might be and was willing to risk being wrong about it. Undead and demons also get stunned by it, but enemies of all types take the damage.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

And I think today's strip is my favorite WSWfG strip yet.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

21. - Top - End - #21

PirateCaptain

Question Re: Will Save World for Gold

I've been looking back through the archives, and I've realised that I have absolutely no idea who Mysterious Archer is. It's kind of being treated as a running gag that their identity is painfully obvious and Ardon is being unusually dense in not recognising them, but I'm coming up blank. Anyone care to enlighten me?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Its Chandea, the archer that hates Ardon for reasons he forgot, is trying to raise her party from the dead, and is a big fan of the Sons of Solemnity.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2015-09-29 at 04:40 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

to add to that, back at the beginning of the comic she lead a rival party that met up with the WSTWFG crew. The two blondes had an argument over who was a better leader, and decided to swap parties for a dungeon crawl to see who got to the treasure room first.

Technically Ardon and Chandea's party got there first, but none of Chandea's party was "alive" persey. Ardon sacrificed them all off to monsters and traps one by one to save his own skin, think he took the head of at least one of them with him, then set up some fakes in the treasure room (one using the dead head of the party member which subsequently fell off the dummy, giving away the hoax). While Chandea had kept all of Ardon's group alive the whole trip.

Ardon argued he was the better leader because he got the goal of reaching the treasure room first.
    Chandea argued that she was the better leader because she didn't kill her entire party to get there.

Ever since Chandea has been trying to resurrect her party members, gaining gold any way she can to raise one or two of them up, only to have them die off again soonafter through a horrid twist of fate, typically something Ardon an his party either caused, recently dealt with, or could have fixed had they known about it.

Basically the universe is railroading her, telling her that her party isn't going to come back and she ought to just join Ardon's party already.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

PirateCaptain

Oh, yeah...

Same arrows, same hair, eye and skin colours, appears for the first time shortly after Chandera's told that Ardon's missing - I guess I'm just really dense.

Thankye kindly, fellow playgrounders.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Don't do it Peanut! You're an Autumn and your blue tunic already makes you look like you're wearing a skinned-Smurf out of season.

Bone-white is a much better match. Let Barry make it into a turban.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Oh, yeah...

Same arrows, same hair, eye and skin colours, appears for the first time shortly after Chandera's told that Ardon's missing - I guess I'm just really dense.

Thankye kindly, fellow playgrounders.
    Eh. I remember when "Mysterious Archer" first showed up there was at least one person trying to argue that it might not be Chandea.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Okay, Odie, now you can blast Ardon for that.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Ardon is not jealous, is he? lol!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
    Ardon is not jealous, is he? lol!
    As far as I recall, the only party member in question here is Ardon himself. So, he's distorting the truth on a technicality to justify keeping more money for himself. Typical Ardon, really.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    As far as I recall, the only party member in question here is Ardon himself. So, he's distorting the truth on a technicality to justify keeping more money for himself. Typical Ardon, really.
    Aw. And here I was expecting for more tension within the party. Specially if he wasn't willing to consciously admit it (thus giving the nightmare spirit more ammo to use against him)(it never works for the nightmare spirit though. lol).