New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Will Save World for Gold

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    If I was Peanut, Ardon tried to leave me content digging and came back for me when things went sideways.
    Peanut doesn't know about that stuff.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Peanut doesn't know about that stuff.
    He said he did.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    He said he did.
    He remembers everything from before he got smarter, but he never witnessed Ardon trying to save him.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

Today's page comes with a lesson, always be specific. Never ask someone to tell you something, ask them to tell you truthfully.

Not that it probably would have changed anything, but still!

5. - Top - End - #395
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

He remembers everything from before he got smarter, but he never witnessed Ardon trying to save him.
    That's probably because Ardon ultimately cared so little for Peanut over the course of their relationship that he didn't even know what he looked like.

See, loyalty can't just be based on grand dramatic rescue gestures, just as romance cannot be based on getting someone a load of flowers and expecting a relationship. The true way to earn loyalty is acting fairly over a long period of time, but Ardon does not just act unfairly, he goes out of his way to inconvenience other people. Sure, sometimes he's willing to stick out a leg when things get serious, but when it comes to the hard work of building a team he never puts any effort in. Ardon constantly acts like he's entitled to the sort of respect he has never shown anyone.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Spellbreaker26 View Post
    That's probably because Ardon ultimately cared so little for Peanut over the course of their relationship that he didn't even know what he looked like.

See, loyalty can't just be based on grand dramatic rescue gestures, just as romance cannot be based on getting someone a load of flowers and expecting a relationship. The true way to earn loyalty is acting fairly over a long period of time, but Ardon does not just act unfairly, he goes out of his way to inconvenience other people. Sure, sometimes he's willing to stick out a leg when things get serious, but when it comes to the hard work of building a team he never puts any effort in. Ardon constantly acts like he's entitled to the sort of respect he has never shown anyone.
    This. So much this.

7. - Top - End - #397

BarbarianGuy

This. So much this.
    I don't think that there is much respect on either side. Ardon believes as Warlord that he has a duty to care for his "underlings", but that is as far as it goes for him. The rest of the party (Peanut) stabbed him repeatedly in the head, (45) joined explicitly to see him be killed, (Odie) resents, suspects and loathes him and (Ell) at best, pities him. At the same time, a serious level-appropriate encounter would probably exterminate the Army without Ardon.

On the whole, South Crossing and its world would probably be a better place without the lot of them, except as entertainment ...and Ardon's Cynicism/Pragmatism/Evil is the most entertaining part.

Frankly, the only character I really liked was Barry and LSN killed him off.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I don't think that there is much respect on either side. Ardon believes as Warlord that he has a duty to care for his "underlings", but that is as far as it goes for him. The rest of the party (Peanut) stabbed him repeatedly in the head, (45) joined explicitly to see him be killed, (Odie) resents, suspects and loathes him and (Ell) at best, pities him. At the same time, a serious level-appropriate encounter would probably exterminate the Army without Ardon.

On the whole, South Crossing and its world would probably be a better place without the lot of them, except as entertainment ...and Ardon's Cynicism/Pragmatism/Evil is the most entertaining part.

Frankly, the only character I really liked was Barry and LSN killed him off.
    That true but I thought Schmoopy was likable too?

9. - Top - End - #399

ClericGuy

The problem is that, for example, Ell was totally willing to risk her life for his and only didn't when the choice was between Ardon and Odie - even though she knew about the thousand people getting killed. Without context. Ardon has no room to complain about her loyalty.

Ardon is fully aware where 45 stands. Peanut varies between loyal and disloyal, but Ardon did use him as a glorified Swiss-Army Knife for the first lot of chapters.

Finally, as for Odie, anyone could see that he has some very good reasons to hate Ardon (having to spend the most time with him, for starters) and some not-so-good ones (jealousy over Ell)* as well. But since Odie has shown himself to be Good-aligned -or at least someone who thinks they're good-aligned - if Ardon wasn't such a total a-hole to him and the rest of the party, then he could probably command his loyalty as well.

The happiness and well-being of his party should matter to Ardon, because otherwise they can get mutinous. But Ardon is such a short-term thinker that he ignores this. Same for the nightmare spirit - a Game Over not just for Ardon but for the entire party if he ever gets knocked unconscious is not a good thing to have implanted in your head, and the party needs to be aware of this to maximise their fighting chances.

*Though I'm tempted to wonder what Ardon's response would be if Odie had slept with someone he wanted to sleep with. My guess is that it wouldn't be pretty, either.

10. - Top - End - #400

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Time View Post
    That true but I thought Schmoopy was likable too?
    Schmoopy is refreshingly forthright: 'I'm evil and I'm looking for evil work. Quit killing my evil bosses!', tempered with a sense of obligation to repay a favor. He will make an excellent evil tavern owner. Still wouldn't say he is really likable.
    The Giant

11. - Top - End - #401

BarbarianGuy

The problem is that, for example, Ell was totally willing to risk her life for his and only didn't when the choice was between Ardon and Odie - even though she knew about the thousand people getting killed. Without context. Ardon has no room to complain about her loyalty.

Ardon is fully aware where 45 stands. Peanut varies between loyal and disloyal, but Ardon did use him as a glorified Swiss-Army Knife for the first lot of chapters.

Finally, as for Odie, anyone could see that he has some very good reasons to hate Ardon (having to spend the most time with him, for starters) and some not-so-good ones (jealousy over Ell)* as well. But since Odie has shown himself to be Good-aligned -or at least someone who thinks they're good-aligned - if Ardon wasn't such a total a-hole to him and the rest of the party, then he could probably command his loyalty as well.

The happiness and well-being of his party should matter to Ardon, because otherwise they can get mutinous. But Ardon is such a short-term thinker that he ignores this. Same for the nightmare spirit - a Game Over not just for Ardon but for the entire party if he ever gets knocked unconscious is not a good thing to have implanted in your head, and the party needs to be aware of this to maximise their fighting chances.

*Though I'm tempted to wonder what Ardon's response would be if Odie had slept with someone he wanted to sleep with. My guess is that it wouldn't be pretty, either.
    They should probably stop adventuring together. Or convert to coffee-smuggling cartel, where the real gold is. They could align themselves as drug overlords or saints...or both.
    The Giant

12. - Top - End - #402
    Banned

I don't think Ardon cares that much about most people to get riled about it actually.

13. - Top - End - #403

ClericGuy

I don't think Ardon cares that much about most people to get riled about it actually.
    Agreed, but Ardon would care if he didn't get what he wanted and someone else did.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

Recursive rooms are the best rooms for arguments.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Bugbear in the Playground

And thus the Archwarlock's true ultimate evil is revealed - preventing people from escaping family discussions!
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed. This man must be stopped. For the good of all.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Banned

You have to imagine that all the "we're a family and we're not going to abandon you" stuff would hit harder if he hadn't literally tried to abandon him like 2 days ago.

It's a step in the right direction though, and this is probably what Ardon needs to hear to start developing again, so I'm all for it.

18. - Top - End - #408

BarbarianGuy

Well, now they outnumber Krackaboom, but will an Army of Ardons obey Ardon?
    The Giant

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

Are they all going to get businesses? Is that where this is going? Will Sell Product for Gold?
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That speech sounds familar.
    No idea from where,
    But did Krackaboom curse a group of adventurers to be... well, adventurers?
    Fine, he cursed their descendants as well and "May you live in interesting times" is a classic, but still, there are worse curses- especially for people to whom it applies already.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

21. - Top - End - #411

I think the important bit is the division and tragedy part - explains why Ell ended up separated from her birth family, and why her new family ended up being a dysfunctional adventuring group that is always just a few steps away from tearing itself to pieces. Arguably, this makes Dire the one responsible, indirectly, for the formation of Ardon's Army. This could turn into epic dramatic irony if Ardon ends up being the one to kill Dire, since it's Dire's curse that set the group into motion in the first place.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

I kinda took away that what Krakaboom "said" according to the bard was utter gibberish based on what mumbles or phrases he could actually make out.

what krackaboom ACTUALLY said that day is unknown, because he has a black text box over a black background and nobody could understand him. He could have said "i will forgive you if you go get my groceries for a week" and they wouldn't know because he's talking in black-on-black.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #413

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    I kinda took away that what Krakaboom "said" according to the bard was utter gibberish based on what mumbles or phrases he could actually make out.

what krackaboom ACTUALLY said that day is unknown, because he has a black text box over a black background and nobody could understand him. He could have said "i will forgive you if you go get my groceries for a week" and they wouldn't know because he's talking in black-on-black.
    I took the black speech bubble to be speaking in abyssal or shadow-plane language or something like that, and none of the Sons of Solemnity knew the language. That would both fit Glend never forgetting what he said, and him not understanding a word - he remembers what was said, but to this day has never found out what it meant.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Banned

The biggest crime of all here is that we can't even argue about his grammar/punctuation since we can't see what he said.

25. - Top - End - #415

PirateCaptain

The biggest crime of all here is that we can't even argue about his grammar/punctuation since we can't see what he said.
    Sure we can:

Quote Originally Posted by Archwarlock Malfoysius Dire
    "My curse be upon you: that your clan be divided by tragedy and disaster. That your joys be brief and your suffering be long. And so be it also with your blood, and the blood of your blood, to the end of your line."
    You may have to raise your screen brightness and/or contrast a little.
    Last edited by SZbNAhL; 2017-03-21 at 05:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    Arguably, this makes Dire the one responsible, indirectly, for the formation of Ardon's Army.
    His worst crime to date.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2017-03-23 at 06:13 PM.

27. - Top - End - #417

ClericGuy

Anyone think Dire and Sarris had any history?

28. - Top - End - #418
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Anyone think Dire and Sarris had any history?
    Sarris spent a long time thinking Dire killed her daughter.

29. - Top - End - #419

BarbarianGuy

Glend: Great hat and ventriloquist!

LSN should really exploit this.
    The Giant

30. - Top - End - #420

I guess he wouldn't know anything about cooking. I mean when would he have learned it?^^