New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Will Save World for Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Well he did say "In the city" and the city is sheilded. and they only ever LEAVE the city if they "run out of targets"

would that apply to not being able to find any targets at all since the city is sheilded?
    The archwarlock might not know about the shield as he was busy with his ritual when it went up.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    The archwarlock might not know about the shield as he was busy with his ritual when it went up.
    yeah exactly. and since the gargoyals can't get into the city to start with, it's possible they'll either try to fight the guardian or just hang out outside the sheild.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #453
    Banned

Well he did say "In the city" and the city is sheilded. and they only ever LEAVE the city if they "run out of targets"

would that apply to not being able to find any targets at all since the city is sheilded?
    I guess it will come down to whether or not the guardian counts as alive.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jane_Smith View Post
    On the newest update, I feel like the villian just shot himself in the foot and he does not know it yet. Anyone want to take wagers on him ending up in the city below and qualifying as a "living creature" for them to attack? > _ >
    From his '...accept no further compulsions from Castle Thunderhead' it is obvious that Krackaboom has never seen Failsafe or Dr. Strangelove
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I guess it will come down to whether or not the guardian counts as alive.
    No, there are at least two alive targets inside the city. The gargoyles would need to attempt to breach the guardian's shield to get at them. The order included "Decend to the city." That alone would probably mean penetrating the shield, which would probably put them into conflict with the guardian.

I just did an archive binge, btw.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-05-30 at 09:46 PM.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

new update involving the gargoyles. looks like they're just as confused as we are
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #457
    Banned

I have a gut feeling that this arc will end with Ardon being somehow responsible for the destruction of the city. It lines up with the guardian's warning and the shopkeep leaving town.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Shouldn't some animals have been trapped inside the barrier? We've seen regular rats and birds, haven't we? The archwarlock said, "Seek out every living creature," so shouldn't that mean go down into basements and sewers and such?

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Shouldn't some animals have been trapped inside the barrier? We've seen regular rats and birds, haven't we? The archwarlock said, "Seek out every living creature," so shouldn't that mean go down into basements and sewers and such?
    So the gargoyles have become level one adventurers then, eh?

10. - Top - End - #460
    Banned

Could be one of those things where the intent behind the command is more important than the actual words. They obviously have some degree of intelligence, so it makes sense that they don't think they're supposed to hunt down individual rats and birds over people.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Could be one of those things where the intent behind the command is more important than the actual words. They obviously have some degree of intelligence, so it makes sense that they don't think they're supposed to hunt down individual rats and birds over people.
    If the warlock just wanted them to kill people, he should have said something like "Seek out every living person." Since he said "creatures" instead, how would the gargoyles know that he didn't want all the animals dead? It's not as if wanting as many people dead as possible at the cost of themselves would make all that much sense to them, either, so why wouldn't they assume he meant what he actually said?

12. - Top - End - #462
    Banned

If the warlock just wanted them to kill people, he should have said something like "Seek out every living person." Since he said "creatures" instead, how would the gargoyles know that he didn't want all the animals dead? It's not as if wanting as many people dead as possible at the cost of themselves would make all that much sense to them, either, so why wouldn't they assume he meant what he actually said?
    Because what he meant is obvious common sense and they've already displayed the ability to think and reason for themselves? What you're saying would make sense if they were mindless robots, but that's obviously not what's been shown in the comic.

13. - Top - End - #463

BarbarianGuy

Because what he meant is obvious common sense and they've already displayed the ability to think and reason for themselves? What you're saying would make sense if they were mindless robots, but that's obviously not what's been shown in the comic.
    They obviously have a sense of self-preservation and the ability to rationalize choices to support it.
    The Giant

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I know what's been shown in the comic. It's just that he way they are behaving is surprising given what the warlock said. To me, the "Continue until you are destroyed" part is the sort of order you would only give to minions who must mindlessly obey, so yeah, it seems odd to me that they are thinking at all. Also the warlock used the term "compulsions," which normally would mean that they are magically forced to obey exactly what he said, no matter what they think.

Also, I don't see why figuring out his goal would be common sense for a gargoyle. How would they know he didn't need to exterminate all life in an area for some weird warlock reason? He's the archwarlock, not them.

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    They obviously have a sense of self-preservation and the ability to rationalize choices to support it.
    If so, I wouldn't have expected them to try to obey the warlock as well as they have. The "Continue until you are destroyed" part meant that he was compelling them to go on a suicidal mission, so obeying him doesn't exactly seem consistent with self-preservation. If they could think for themselves and valued self-preservation, I would have expected them to go feral and spread out and just attack easy targets of opportunity to feed themselves if they need to eat rather than going after people aggressively until they get killed. Either that, or they would become angry at the warlock for trying to send them off to their destruction and turn on him.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-06-02 at 10:34 AM.

15. - Top - End - #465

BarbarianGuy

I know what's been shown in the comic. It's just that he way they are behaving is surprising given what the warlock said. To me, the "Continue until you are destroyed" part is the sort of order you would only give to minions who must mindlessly obey, so yeah, it seems odd to me that they are thinking at all. Also the warlock used the term "compulsions," which normally would mean that they are magically forced to obey exactly what he said, no matter what they think.

Also, I don't see why figuring out his goal would be common sense for a gargoyle. How would they know he didn't need to exterminate all life in an area for some weird warlock reason? He's the archwarlock, not them.

If so, I wouldn't have expected them to try to obey the warlock as well as they have. The "Continue until you are destroyed" part meant that he was compelling them to go on a suicidal mission, so obeying him doesn't exactly seem consistent with self-preservation. If they could think for themselves and valued self-preservation, I would have expected them to go feral and spread out and just attack easy targets of opportunity to feed themselves if they need to eat rather than going after people aggressively until they get killed. Either that, or they would become angry at the warlock for trying to send them off to their destruction and turn on him.
    Yes, K-boom gave them suicide mission orders, but they have not yet followed them and are in the process of evading those orders. Evil minions are tricky to rule.
    The Giant

16. - Top - End - #466
    Banned

Maybe they picked up a bit of Ardon's attitude since he was holding the staff too during the order.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Maybe they picked up a bit of Ardon's attitude since he was holding the staff too during the order.
    I was thinking that maybe Ardon broke or weakened the compulsion spell since he was holding the staff too, but the golems are taking a while to notice that they aren't actually compelled to obey the orders. They may have assumed they would have no choice, so they just went ahead started to obey the orders when they first heard them. Perhaps as they do more thinking and adjusting their plans, they might realize that they aren't really compelled to obey. Although I like the idea, it might be a little too complicated for the comic. IDK.

But yeah, I guess it could just be some of Ardon's attitude or a little of his planning abilities showing through.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-06-02 at 09:34 PM.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't see what you're all talking about. The gargoyles haven't ignored anything. They didn't see any living things in the city, and the Guardian isn't alive. Yes, they were given suicidal orders, but they were not given any orders to thoroughly search the city. Thus, they are under no compulsion to risk themselves fighting a non-living entity on the off chance that there are living things hiding in the city. They are violating the intent of the orders but are still following the letter.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

19. - Top - End - #469

BarbarianGuy

Guardian selfies
    The Giant

20. - Top - End - #470

I love how all the arguments here about the gargoyles' orders seem to be mirrored by events in the story.
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

I was just waiting for this to happen once the gargoyle suggested leaving.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

22. - Top - End - #472
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    I love how all the arguments here about the gargoyles' orders seem to be mirrored by events in the story.
    He does read the thread. I wonder if he pokes fun at us sometimes.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

we should start arguing about something silly like a rat in a tophat to see if the gargoyles argue over it too then. if they do then we know for sure
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #474

BarbarianGuy

we should start arguing about something silly like a rat in a tophat to see if the gargoyles argue over it too then. if they do then we know for sure
    Are you referring to the rat wearing a tophat or the rat that is inside of a tophat?
    The Giant

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    Are you referring to the rat wearing a tophat or the rat that is inside of a tophat?
    How about a rat wearing a top hat inside a top hat worn by a dire rat?

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

no no no, clearly the rat is a living two-dimentional being that's sewn onto the tophat, yet is inexplicably able to move around freely within the confines of it's tophat universe.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #477

PirateCaptain

What about a rat-in-a-top hat? I.e. a hat depicting a rat which is wearing a top.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

How do you wear a top? Do you become a beyblade bit-beast if you do that?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not that difficult really.

Spoiler
    Show

And rather stylish at that.

30. - Top - End - #480

PirateCaptain

Like so:
    Spoiler: Image
    Show

Just pretend that I could find a picture of a rat in a top instead of a mouse.