New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Banned

Default Re: Will Save World for Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Drakilian View Post
    Was just about to post the same thing. Boggles the mind.

I mean, Lone had to make it dramatic somehow. Silence the cries of "Oswalt can just resurrect them!".

If Ardon were here i'm sure he would point out how stupid they're being.
    There's still a priest in town who can do it, unless he dies too. Then they'd have to travel like one day to the dwarf place to get it done. There's just no way to make death as compelling as normal in a setting where resurrection is trivial. At least not without having a compelling reason it won't work like he had with Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    Regardless of context and situation, isn't Ardon's default reaction to point out how stupid someone is supposedly being?
    To be fair, he's often not wrong.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know exactly how resurrection works in 4th, but it seems like you need at least a part of that person's body. If the body gets utterly destroyed beyond recovery because it was inside a falling castle, I don't think that person is coming back.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #543
    Banned

I was always under the impression that there's a higher level version that can bring you back with no body just like in 3.5. I've never played with 4e rules though so maybe not. That would explain a lot.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Barbarian in the Playground

There is. Its called wish/miracle. : P

5. - Top - End - #545

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    ...you paladins realize this argument is taking precious time, right? Keep it up much longer and it will be too late to actually do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    To be fair, they must be falling pretty darn slowly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    It's okay we all know talking is a free action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane_Smith View Post
    There is. Its called wish/miracle. : P
    As long as this has gone on, I am beginning to wish the dammed castle would crash and kill all these gas-bags.

Ardon's Army II:
    Ardon
    Nightmare Spirit
    The Guardian
    Chandea
    Mysterious Masked Elf That Looks A Lot Like Chandea

If MMETLALLC will not fit into the world system:
    Redshirt McKobold - a frequently vacated and refilled position
    Last edited by stsasser; 2017-07-21 at 10:13 AM.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

tem gold says the bard KO'S the preist guy and takes the sacrifice place himself.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #547
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    As long as this has gone on, I am beginning to wish the dammed castle would crash and kill all these gas-bags.

Ardon's Army II:
    Ardon
    Nightmare Spirit
    The Guardian
    Chandea
    Mysterious Masked Elf That Looks A Lot Like Chandea

If MMETLALLC will not fit into the world system:
    Redshirt McKobold - a frequently vacated and refilled position
    Well, the pacing is still better than some comics. It has dragged on a bit, but I think we're near the end.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    tem gold says the bard KO'S the preist guy and takes the sacrifice place himself.
    And them he dies, anyways, because unconscious people can't run.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    My bet's on an attempt at suggestion.

Either way, Oswalt is definitely not dying here.

Or maybe Glend is just deciding that he doesn't want to let Oswalt die alone, but there's no way they're that stupid
    Last edited by Drakilian; 2017-07-21 at 11:37 PM.
    Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

or you know, he throws him to the construct or sevral paladins who are RIGHT THERE. that is also a possibility.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh. I just realized that Odi is gone from the banner. I wonder if that is just a gimmick or if it has a deeper meaning.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Huh. I just realized that Odi is gone from the banner. I wonder if that is just a gimmick or if it has a deeper meaning.
    Huh.
    That's interesting.
    I really hope it's just a Gimmick.
    I mean Chandrea's old party is still there and they have even less of a chance to come back than Odi considering what happened to them. And that they explicitly told her to stop trying.
    I'm pretty sure the dragon got fried too.
    So even if he's gone for good it would be kinda unfair to remove Odi from the banner when equally gone bit-characters are still there.
    Unless I'm wrong and they will be back...
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2017-07-22 at 12:53 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

13. - Top - End - #553
    Banned

There's no way he doesn't come back. His plotline is like half of the comic's entire story and it isn't resolved. He got saved by Dragon-ex-Machina once before, so maybe that will happen again.

He may not be back for a while though. That way he can come back in dramatic fashion and reveal Ardon's betrayal.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2017-07-22 at 01:06 AM.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Orc in the Playground

It's been like that for weeks and you're the first person I've seen bring it up. Congratulations! You win the prize!

(the prize is satisfaction at a job well done)

15. - Top - End - #555
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarNorth View Post
    It's been like that for weeks and you're the first person I've seen bring it up. Congratulations! You win the prize!

I was wondering if you still read here. Just want to say that even though I'm a bit critical at times, I still really enjoy your work.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarNorth View Post

Hooray! I mean, I would have preferred money or a new car, but I suppose this is acceptable, too.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Caaaalled it! kind of, not exactly, but close enough!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #558
    Banned

Well, Oswalt gets a sweet new hat out of this. Everyone wins.

19. - Top - End - #559

BarbarianGuy

I am a big fan of Snarky Guardian.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

21. - Top - End - #561

So, what, did he just full blown go mega-evil finally or is there some method to this madness?

22. - Top - End - #562
    Banned

It does seem out of character. It was right after the high level fighter said he was going to protect the town, so maybe Ardon has some nefarious scheme for the town planned. Or maybe he's just a jerk.

I guess we will see on Monday.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

as much as Ardon is a prick, i don't think he'd do something THIS bad. i mean, dude was just protecting him from a ton of gargoyles who wanted to kill him. think he's offically gone off the deep end by now.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

So, what, did he just full blown go mega-evil finally or is there some method to this madness?
    The guardian instance that was guarding the shop warned Groffnar about something Ardon would do that was apparently pretty bad. Maybe Ardon will hold Groffnar hostage and loot his shop? Whatever it is, it probably involves meeting an instance of the guardian other than the one guarding the shop, since the one guarding the shop already knew it happened. Perhaps getting into the city will involve meeting the instance guarding the city again?

Groffar says, "I had to come back. One last time. Even knowing what was going to..." I assume he meant knowing whatever Ardon was going to do. I'll guess we are about to have a bunch of time-travel silliness and Ardon talking about what he's doing being merely inevitable. In the end he'll probably find some way to rationalize that made things less bad than they otherwise would have been, which is something he seems to manage to do quite a bit.

as much as Ardon is a prick, i don't think he'd do something THIS bad. i mean, dude was just protecting him from a ton of gargoyles who wanted to kill him. think he's offically gone off the deep end by now.
    The author apparently wants us to think that way. We even had Dire warn us recently that he was allowing Ardon to live because Ardon would be such an effective weapon of revenge against everyone else. I'm suspicious. I think it's more likely that things will somehow sort of work out in the end and we'll get yet another explanation from Ardon about how he made things less bad than they otherwise would have been. That's happened several times before, hasn't it?
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-08-04 at 12:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #565

Notice when he does turn on Groffnar however, am i the only one who thinks his face looks different? The teeth. Is the nightmare spirit finally gaining control? This could literally just be the spirit finally getting the reigns and testing out the wheel/peddles like he was suppose to do before. I dunno, this just seems.. weird.

Or maybe this is some plan / setup to kill Groffnar knowing he could blame the death on Dire (Thus using the gargoyle to attack, nothing else), making the dwarves groffnar is allied with/friends withw aggro on Dire to help him hunt down and kill him? This would, of course, be a bunch of hogwash as the rest of the party would know who was in command of the gargoyals/building before it sunk, which is why the guardian would directly know about it because of a future party conflict (As the robot does command the guardian to guard the shop regularly, etc). I can see our tinfoil rager just going "watch the shop" -face mask closes. -grabs hammer. -kicks ardons teeth in. You know?

But I doubt its anything that in depth. . _ . Can never tell.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Bugbear in the Playground

Notice when he does turn on Groffnar however, am i the only one who thinks his face looks different? The teeth. Is the nightmare spirit finally gaining control? This could literally just be the spirit finally getting the reigns and testing out the wheel/peddles like he was suppose to do before. I dunno, this just seems.. weird.

Or maybe this is some plan / setup to kill Groffnar knowing he could blame the death on Dire (Thus using the gargoyle to attack, nothing else), making the dwarves groffnar is allied with/friends withw aggro on Dire to help him hunt down and kill him? This would, of course, be a bunch of hogwash as the rest of the party would know who was in command of the gargoyals/building before it sunk, which is why the guardian would directly know about it because of a future party conflict (As the robot does command the guardian to guard the shop regularly, etc). I can see our tinfoil rager just going "watch the shop" -face mask closes. -grabs hammer. -kicks ardons teeth in. You know?

But I doubt its anything that in depth. . _ . Can never tell.
    Actually, that facial expression has appeared several times after the encounter with his brother, who had the very same face at times when he got angry.
    It seems to be some kind of family trait, like vampyrism or something like that. More knowledgeable people than I probably know what it could be though. But it is definitely some kind of condition that he has picked up from his brother that appears to be turning him into a even worse person.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

That's his yelling face. It was also used on the previous page when he yelled. Also, I don't know the rules, but didn't Ardon cast Commander's Strike on Groffnar already a couple of panels earlier so the gargoyle would have a free attack on him? Ardon's face hadn't changed yet.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    The author apparently wants us to think that way. We even had Dire warn us recently that he was allowing Ardon to live because Ardon would be such an effective weapon of revenge against everyone else. I'm suspicious. I think it's more likely that things will somehow sort of work out in the end and we'll get yet another explanation from Ardon about how he made things less bad than they otherwise would have been. That's happened several times before, hasn't it?
    Maybe. Sometimes I wonder if he's not trying to see how sociopathic and evil he can make Ardon while still keeping us rooting for him and accepting his justifications.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Maybe. Sometimes I wonder if he's not trying to see how sociopathic and evil he can make Ardon while still keeping us rooting for him and accepting his justifications.
    Well, yes, I think so, too, although "rooting for him" may be a bit strong, at least for me. I only root for him in the sense that he tends to be a necessary evil that the others wind up depending on. Even worse things will happen if he dies, so I want him to live, but not for his sake.

I meant that I don't think Ardon has changed and become more evil than normal, but I think normal is pretty bad. He's always been capable of doing rather horrendous things. And yes, despite that, we wind up accepting him. That seems to be an ongoing source of tension in the comic. Personally, I don't care for it much, but I don't think I'm in the target audience for the comic.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-08-04 at 10:12 PM.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Banned

It does bring up an interesting question. If Ardon isn't the progatonist, who are we supposed to be rooting for? Most of the story seems to center around Ardon, and while the other cast members are better people, they're far less likable/interesting. The only other real candidate is Odie, and he's an insufferable idiot (on top of being dead). The others are nice enough, but the plot is never really driven by their stories. They're much more reactionary characters. Ardon is the one who is always moving the plot.