New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Will Save World for Gold

I am guessing Odie's review isn't going to have much positives (seriously, Odie just isn't smart and wastes his spells.), and that Fortyfive will be told he is unreliable in a crisis (absolutely true, and its deliberate which just makes it worse.), but I am not sure what Ardon will say about Peanut.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

So far looks pretty status-quo-ish. Wonder if Odivallus has anything special coming for him after having blasted Ardon through a wall, but he already took his apology, so I'm guessing not. He'll definitely bring the topic up to make him suffer, though. lol

I wonder if Ardon is planning something, or otherwise what is the reason behind this other than paperwork for its sake, but then again, he is Chaotic.

Update: He took an interesting approach. lol

Update: I love Ardon :v
    Last edited by Panzer; 2015-10-09 at 12:12 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Would the each of the demon clowns count? If so that would make Thuckwait, Dire, and the demon clowns the four megalomaniacs.

Or would it be Thuckwait, Dire, Ardon, and Peanut?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Would the each of the demon clowns count? If so that would make Thuckwait, Dire, and the demon clowns the four megalomaniacs.

Or would it be Thuckwait, Dire, Ardon, and Peanut?
    I think he's definitely including Peanut. That's why Peanut counts less.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Oh hey, WSWfG has a thread here. Nice. If things aren't going to end poorly for that poor 2nd level guard, I'll be very, very suprised.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

I love it when the NPCs of the world end up agreeing with Ardon on things.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I got the impression Rules 1 through 3 were already part of the aforementioned handbook.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I got the impression Rules 1 through 3 were already part of the aforementioned handbook.
    Me too. I imagine the entire handbook essentially boils down to "the adventurers will consider you a useless nuisance, try to avoid reminding them of why". It's a quite realistic stance to take, I think, judging by what I know of typical D&D player habits.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

Looks like a major quest lies ahead :P

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
    Looks like a major quest lies ahead :P
    Yea meta logic clearly works in this universe, but Ardon's meta logic was insufficient.

While Bandits are usually not dangerous to a proper adventurer there does still exist the rare ones that are. More importantly is the fact that they are being paid quite well for this job (because when has any adventurer been paid that much to do something as easy as Ardon explains), which almost certainly guarantees a "major quest" of some sort.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2015-11-05 at 04:39 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

They have also been doing rather side-questy stuff lately, so a change of pace is welcome.

My wild guess is that the Tarrin loose end is going to have something to do in all this. Maybe they are the bandits? Maybe they paid the bandits to do their banditry and lure Ardon's party out to camp in the middle of a forest, where there's few, if any, witnessing humans around?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you go back and read the job description again, it's pretty clear that this is a setup by Ardon's brother.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

13. - Top - End - #43

PirateCaptain

If you go back and read the job description again, it's pretty clear that this is a setup by Ardon's brother.
    Hmm... No actual evidence of bandit existence, reward offered by a group of "elven merchants" (read: pointy-eared folk in nice clothes), how did I miss that?

On an unrelated note, who else thinks Barry's hat is going to turn out to be a super-powerful magic item?

14. - Top - End - #44

Well. That was a thing.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

OMG :O

I doubt he has the means to get out of that, what with all the high level fey all around; half of his party probably isn't keen on helping him, knowing what he did, and the other still got paid to not do anything. Maybe with help from
    Spoiler
    Show
    the nightmare spirit, directly or not? Incite Terror? Maybe he will wait until Ardon is knocked out and shift into Torrin's head (inter-party drama! ooo)?

Also, that bitchslap, doe.

16. - Top - End - #46

PirateCaptain

confused Re: Will Save World for Gold

I was reading back over the island arc, and I noticed something in this strip:

Quote Originally Posted by Ardon
    I don't make the rules yet.
    It's wild theory time.

Ardon's mysteriously able to change his multiclass on a whim and is accused of "premeditated disruption of natural law". This got me wondering what other clues I've missed about Ardon's meddling with the universe, so I reread the entire comic and found this page I'd forgotten about, in which Ardon more or less admits to creating a "ripple" which created "a wide array of new effects that ignore the physical limitations of our world".

What was a level one non-caster doing attempting to gain omnipotence? And actually having a measure of success at that?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Keep in mind Ardon also has no soul.

http://willsaveworldforgold.com/?p=822

Where it went hasn't been explained, but it might be related to his free multiclassing, and selling your soul is the classic sort of thing someone seeking ultimate power would do.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Banned

I somewhat feel like he's just lying about retraining in order to hide his abilities rather than actually retraining.

Either way, it doesn't really have any effect on your theory.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Keep in mind Ardon also has no soul.

http://willsaveworldforgold.com/?p=822

Where it went hasn't been explained, but it might be related to his free multiclassing, and selling your soul is the classic sort of thing someone seeking ultimate power would do.
    My own pet theory is that Ardon was actually a not completely terrible person at one point, and his soul was taken from him by his father.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2015-11-21 at 07:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So...I am really hoping Ell either saves Odivallus or somehow saves both (Ardon being saved by someone else doesn't count, because my cocern with this post is what Ell chooses.) I mean, sure, we know that Ardon is actually telling the truth about how him living is best for everyone but Ell has no reason to believe him. Because, honestly, if it weren't the truth I am certain Ardon would lied to save his own skin. Ell is willing to save Ardon despite knowing the kind of person he is, but knowing the kind of person Ardon is also means that she knows he can't be trusted.

If Ell is absolutely convinced that she has to choose between saving Ardon and saving Odivallus, she darn well better choose Odivallus.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2015-11-30 at 04:32 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    So...I am really hoping Ell either saves Odivallus or somehow saves both (Ardon being saved by someone else doesn't count, because my cocern with this post is what Ell chooses.) I mean, sure, we know that Ardon is actually telling the truth about how him living is best for everyone but Ell has no reason to believe him. Because, honestly, if it weren't the truth I am certain Ardon would lied to save his own skin. Ell is willing to save Ardon despite knowing the kind of person he is, but knowing the kind of person Ardon is also means that she knows he can't be trusted.

If Ell is absolutely convinced that she has to choose between saving Ardon and saving Odivallus, she darn well better choose Odivallus.
    She also knows Ardon's plans have saved her and the party dozens of times. I wouldn't call that no reason to believe him.

21. - Top - End - #51

PirateCaptain

I'm not convinced that she can save Odivallus. I mean, she can block a single attack and he has three high-level fey attacking him alongside a whole bunch of minions and at least one bear. And isn't he already low on HP? Block the attack on Ardon and he's safe; block the attack on Odi and his death gets delayed a little.

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    She also knows Ardon's plans have saved her and the party dozens of times. I wouldn't call that no reason to believe him.
    I'm calling the following: Odi goes down, Ell saves Ardon, Ardon uses a readied action to dominate one of the fey to save Odi, then cures him. Odi going down means Peanut has a reason to fight the fey and he can take one of them out after stealthing right next to him. The four together can probably beat the goons, but Ardon's brother will be too much for them. I predict this to be a fight with a lot of losses, possibly requiring some resurrections in the near future. I also can't really predict whether the nightmare spirit will stay inside Ardon or migrate to his brother before the end of the fight.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

Maybe Ell saves Odi, Ardon bites it, and the Nightmare Spirit finally gets his chance to fulfill his plan? Which could get suddenly and hilariously thwarted by an unexpected twist. Much frustration for the Spirit ensues.

That could lead to the rest of the party also finally finding out about the Spirit's existence (development?) OR somehow not understanding what's going on, like when Archwarlock Maloysius Dire *krackaboom* almost extirpated the spirit (status quo?). Ardon could later on say he just multiclassed *again* to justify the spirits actions :D

Uhh... almost? Torrin's too savvy, dang it.
    Last edited by Panzer; 2015-12-01 at 06:51 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

Oh, Torrin, Torrin, Torrin. You cannot expect things to go as planned if you say something like that right before killing someone.

This is either the Nightmare spirit's big getaway and Torrin's about to get his soul eaten, or something unexpected is about to come up.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

Mysterious Mystery Archer Woman! I was expecting this exact same thing so much, I actually didn't think it was going to happen. lol

Isn't Ardon's HP about 30?

26. - Top - End - #56

Oh dear. Introspective Ardon. This is going to lead to him going back for the rest of his party isn't it?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    Oh dear. Introspective Ardon. This is going to lead to him going back for the rest of his party isn't it?
    Well....obviously.

Also I think Chandea is missing the point of Ardon's story. He is not complaining that none of his friends can help him (as per Chandea's situation), but that none of the people he thought were his friends would help him.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2015-12-10 at 01:10 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58

Considering he is very likely the first Lord of the Owlbears, he probably can name his attacks whatever he wants. Also, it seems like either he or someone else modified him to be able to contain and control spirits.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

Probably himself, considering the Ripple.

Also, I can't get enough of OWLBEARRR... :D

30. - Top - End - #60

Hah! The circus arc wasn't completely pointless fun! It actually mattered!

Also I'm really curious now what exactly has Ardon done to himself. He probably sold his soul to become the Lord of Owlbears. But what exactly is the Ripple?