New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Will Save World for Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Jane_Smith View Post
    Sometimes, the players need to realize the world is full of bigger fish, and the cosmos of the setting does not revolve around them.
    Yeah, that's fine and all, but doing so doesn't necessitate the DM sit there conducting an elaborate story between the NPCs while the players do nothing but watch. That's like hosting an orgy and then just sitting in the corner touching yourself while everyone else grows increasingly bored.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

2. - Top - End - #632
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Yeah, that's fine and all, but doing so doesn't necessitate the DM sit there conducting an elaborate story between the NPCs while the players do nothing but watch. That's like hosting an orgy and then just sitting in the corner touching yourself while everyone else grows increasingly bored.
    This isn't a game though...

Besides, if it was this whole exchange could be summed up in less than a minute.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2017-09-08 at 01:22 PM.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post

Besides, if it was this whole exchange could be summed up in less than a minute.

think lonestar actually came in here once and said it was cannon that this is not a game, just a world in wich game rules apply, simmilar to Goblins, or order of the stick.

if it WAS a game though, the situation with the sons and dire could easily be explained in a way that doesn't make everyone bored. maybe the sons are an old group the DM plays with every other weekend, and they came in to help out this newer group Ell and Odie are part of. or maybe Odie and Ardon's players are being allowed to play as the members of the sons while their own characters are not involved in the game.

really there are tons of ways you could interpret it other then "the dm talking to himself"
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #634
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I wonder which decease characters will return eventually?

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

And Catholic bears are wet. What's your point? That's not in any way relevant to my post.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Banned

And Catholic bears are wet. What's your point? That's not in any way relevant to my post.
    You're posting a comment about a story in a thread about a story where we're all talking about the story. So either you are actually talking about the story at hand...or you're the one that's off topic.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Barbarian in the Playground

Or just being argumentative for argument sake. In which case. -spray bottles. Bad Celestia, bad!

In any case, anyone want to take bets hes just going to spam devour magic again until she loses her wings and they both plummet to death in front of the group?

8. - Top - End - #638
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jane_Smith View Post
    Or just being argumentative for argument sake. In which case. -spray bottles. Bad Celestia, bad!

In any case, anyone want to take bets hes just going to spam devour magic again until she loses her wings and they both plummet to death in front of the group?
    I don't want that unless Ardon breaks their fall.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

I doubt spamming Devour Magic is possible - that would require that it's an at will power, and it seems way too strong for that to me.

If he's using PC rules (which describing himself as a "Storm Pact Warlock" suggests, though his apparent hp seems too high for that) I'd guess it's at least an encounter power, and possibly even a daily. He's used it twice, but I would further guess that activating Storm Aspect (almost certainly a daily) refreshed it.

If he's using monster rules, it's probably a recharge power, in which case they're at the mercy of the dice.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Time View Post
    I don't want that unless Ardon breaks their fall.
    Ardon the Flumph?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

11. - Top - End - #641
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Ardon the Flumph?
    That's right.

12. - Top - End - #642

BarbarianGuy

KRACKABOOM just cannot catch a break...
    Last edited by stsasser; 2017-09-11 at 11:11 PM.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Banned

I guess this is a big moment for Oswalt since he's normally a pacifist. Of course, I didn't know he was a pacifist until the previous comic, so it looses a bit of its oomph.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

And this is why you never underestimate the cleric. Sure, you may look at them like they're walking bandages, but they are perfectly capable of smiting your sorry backside with divine magic.

15. - Top - End - #645

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    If he's using monster rules, it's probably a recharge power, in which case they're at the mercy of the dice.
    Looks like this possibility just got confirmed. Explains his high hp, too, he's probably a Solo monster.

And apparently Oswalt had an extra flight elixir. Maybe Glend gave him the one he wouldn't be needing?
    Last edited by Douglas; 2017-09-14 at 12:20 AM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Banned

Looks like this possibility just got confirmed. Explains his high hp, too, he's probably a Solo monster.

And apparently Oswalt had an extra flight elixir. Maybe Glend gave him the one he wouldn't be needing?
    Given how much his power has fluctuated between this encounter and the last time they fought him, I'm still not convinced he has stats at all. If he does, your explanation seems likely though.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I love where this is going

I'm kinda hype for Supreme Overlord Ardon
    Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Drakilian View Post
    I love where this is going

I'm kinda hype for Supreme Overlord Ardon
    He is a great Villain Protagonist but my favorite Villain Protagonist is still Light Yagami.

19. - Top - End - #649

Incidentally, this fight precisely pinpoints Oswalt's level, if we didn't have proof of it before. The ability that caused ongoing damage was Radiant Action, which deals ongoing damage equal to the caster's level. It dealt 12 ongoing damage per round, so Oswalt is level 12.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Time View Post
    He is a great Villain Protagonist but my favorite Villain Protagonist is still Light Yagami.
    Right now, Ardon is an anti-hero, not a villain. That may, of course, change in the future, though I'd put my money on it staying this way.

Totally agree about Light, however. He's great.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ettin in the Playground

Incidentally, this fight precisely pinpoints Oswalt's level, if we didn't have proof of it before. The ability that caused ongoing damage was Radiant Action, which deals ongoing damage equal to the caster's level. It dealt 12 ongoing damage per round, so Oswalt is level 12.
    Huh, must have leveled up since the author made the vote thing. The thing you get when you vote for the comic (along with some background information) says he is level 11(as are the paladins but Glend was only level 9).
    Last edited by Hamste; 2017-09-20 at 05:37 AM.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

22. - Top - End - #652

BarbarianGuy

If you're gonna talk, talk. If you're gonna shoot, shoot.

Good job,El.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Banned

Well, El and the Sons have both become much more watchable over this arc. I'm still worried they aren't enough to carry the comic while Ardon is in full unlikable mode...but it's a step in the right direction for those characters.

I wonder if we're now headed towards ressurecting Odie, or if that will be put off for a while. We could desperately use some exposition and growth from 45. He still has less personality than pre-brain juice Peanut.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, El and the Sons have both become much more watchable over this arc. I'm still worried they aren't enough to carry the comic while Ardon is in full unlikable mode...but it's a step in the right direction for those characters.

I wonder if we're now headed towards ressurecting Odie, or if that will be put off for a while. We could desperately use some exposition and growth from 45. He still has less personality than pre-brain juice Peanut.
    Odie was ashes even before Glend crashed the castle. If Glend can't come back then I doubt Odie can.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Odie was ashes even before Glend crashed the castle. If Glend can't come back then I doubt Odie can.
    He's arguably one of the two main protagonists of the comic, and has unresolved plot lines. I have a hard time believing he won't be back. We have a whole subplot about how the conventional rules no longer apply. He was also saved by literal Deus ex Machina once before. I'm confident he'll be back one way or another.

Of course, I've been wrong before. Sometimes quite frequently.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"He's arguably one of the two main protagonists of the comic, and has unresolved plot lines." Something similar could be said about Ned Stark.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Banned

Ned Stark's plotlines transitioned naturally to his children upon his death. They weren't cut short by it. Otherwise it would have been awful writing. The same can't be said for Odie. Ardon and El have no particular drive or obligation to explore those plot threads if Odie is gone. They just become pointless.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

But Bran and the others took care of Ned's remaining plotlines.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Bugbear in the Playground

When reading the book at least I considered Ned a supporting character from the start.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

Right now, Ardon is an anti-hero, not a villain. That may, of course, change in the future, though I'd put my money on it staying this way.

Totally agree about Light, however. He's great.
    LOL, no! Ardon is pretty much a villain at this point. Or did you miss the totally unnecessary murder he just committed?