kiiinda jumping to conclusions there Ana :/
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Will Save World for Gold

Looks like to conclusions is not the only thing that Ana will be jumping...
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    Looks like to conclusions is not the only thing that Ana will be jumping...
    I'm not getting that vibe. I think Ana assumed he was also just someone wearing an orc costume, and it's just hit her that there is an actual live orc in her dressing room.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Can't say i beleive the same glyph, if you're talking about the "is this real fur you're wearing?" page at least. Looks more to me like she was aware he was an orc from the start, but her materialistic desires might just end up with her at least tolerating him a bit more then she has been thus far. maybe a relationship, probably not.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I'm not getting that vibe. I think Ana assumed he was also just someone wearing an orc costume, and it's just hit her that there is an actual live orc in her dressing room.
    I see two possibilities:

The fallen, embittered Ana can fascinate this young, naive and lonely chieftain and, doing whatever it takes, including wearing greyface to avoid scandalizing the Bloodf's tribe to become queen of that tribe. As a side benefit, she can acquire the means to wreak gory vengance on South Cross and Ardon's Army for her humiliations.

or

LSN, whose avatar was just seen outside the strip club, soliciting tricks in Ana's castoff dress, can take the high road.

Bonus Wild Speculation: This being Nightmare's whispered plan, Ardon unmasks her before the outraged orc tribe, which then kills the Chieftain, earning the bounty for his assasination that Ardon will not have forgotten is the whole point of the quest.
    The Giant

6. - Top - End - #156
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I'm getting a "fur is murder!" vibe off of her.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I'm getting a "fur is murder!" vibe off of her.
    I'm getting a "wait, are your clothes actually high class/expensive?" vibe. She assumed he was, like most orcs, crude and unrefined, and now she's reassessing that.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

8. - Top - End - #158
    Banned

Turns out I was wrong. First time for everything I guess.

9. - Top - End - #159

BarbarianGuy

Who the heck is this guy who gets a dialog avatar??
    The Giant

10. - Top - End - #160
    Pixie in the Playground

It's a PC.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Hmmm... Could the Nightmare Spirit be sitting back at the orc camp giving out orders?

12. - Top - End - #162
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Chives View Post
    Hmmm... Could the Nightmare Spirit be sitting back at the orc camp giving out orders?
    I thought only Ardon could see and hear the spirit, even when it's possessing Bobo.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    I thought only Ardon could see and hear the spirit, even when it's possessing Bobo.
    That would make sense, explain why no one's asked about Bobo turning Purple.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I know that's a necklace, but does anyone else have a hard time not seeing Anaviera as always having her mouth open?

15. - Top - End - #165

BarbarianGuy

Very well done.
    The Giant

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Is Odie going to quit after this? If I were Odie this would be the point where I quit the party.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Is Odie going to quit after this? If I were Odie this would be the point where I quit the party.
    I agree since it feels like Ardon has finally past the moral event horizon with no hope of ever turning back.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Banned

I'm a bit torn. On the one hand, the methods are evil and it's hard to think of mass slaughter as anything but evil. On the other hand, they're a bloodthirsty invading army, and wiping them out is probably for the best.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

But now he is also intentionally driving a genuinely good member of the tribe to attack just so that he can kill him for the reward.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2016-08-16 at 02:33 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Banned

The guy who started a war in order to try getting a girlfriend? He's not exactly an innocent.

I'm not saying Ardon isn't evil though. What he's doing currently is definitely evil. I'm just torn on whether he's passed the moral event horizon or not.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The guy who started a war in order to try getting a girlfriend? He's not exactly an innocent.

I'm not saying Ardon isn't evil though. What he's doing currently is definitely evil. I'm just torn on whether he's passed the moral event horizon or not.
    That's....not exactly how it went.

Mostly though its that Odie and Ell tried to make a peaceful solution and Ardon undermined that for his own self interest. Sure they knew that about Ardon, but now they should see what kind off path their adventuring careers will take as long as Ardon leads them.

Mind you I am sure Ell won't quit just because of her insane philosophy of unconditional loyalty for no real reason. But I would like to think Odie will at least try to quit before the narrative forces him back into the party.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Banned

That's exactly what happened. Maybe he didn't intend to start a war, but he didn't stop it either. He certainly hasn't stopped his orcs from attacking travelers like we saw earlier either.

For your other point...sure. Odie and Ell should have abandoned Ardon a long time ago if we're being reasonable about it. It's actually getting a little frustrating to read. Every time it seems like Ardon is getting character development and the story might actually go somewhere, he does something like this and we're back at square one.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

It's actually getting a little frustrating to read. Every time it seems like Ardon is getting character development and the story might actually go somewhere, he does something like this and we're back at square one.
    I kindof like it - kindof reminds me of 8-Bit Theater except with the quote being: 'This whole goddamn adventure has been nothing but pointless build ups towards character development that never happens'.

At this point I think meaningful character change might actually annoy me (happy with minor elements i.e growing and learning to realise you were always right, or items that change someone only for them to than change back).
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2016-08-16 at 03:45 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Did Odie have any moral qualms about exterminating an entire goblin tribe or slaughtering all the skeletons at the acid party? Originally, Odie expected they would be fighting the entire orc army and, while questioning the feasibility of it, was good to go. It was only en route that he learned it was an assassination thwart job.
    The Giant

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Think of a table with a group of people playing D&D.
    All the group takes the game seriously (in healthy levels), but one of the players is annoying and while the others try to role play, he treats it only as a game with points and statistics, knowing that it's unlikely the party will split regardless of what he does, and behaves like he is the most important thing in the world since in a way, player characters ARE the most important thing in the world that was created for them.

In the end, it's not moral issues that will cause other players (characters) to throw him out of the party, it will be the way he acts against the other characters in the group as well as the players behind them.

So bottom line, Ode and El should have kicked him out long ago, less because of his morals and more because he was never a team player, and certainly not a leader.
    For me, a long time ago it felt like the only reason they are still adventuring together is because the player behind ardon brought pizza to the session and the other players feel bad kicking him out after that.
    Last edited by random11; 2016-08-16 at 08:42 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    the only reason they are still adventuring together is because the player behind ardon brought pizza to the session and the other players feel bad kicking him out after that.
    This is a valid strategy.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    I kindof like it - kindof reminds me of 8-Bit Theater except with the quote being: 'This whole goddamn adventure has been nothing but pointless build ups towards character development that never happens'.

At this point I think meaningful character change might actually annoy me (happy with minor elements i.e growing and learning to realise you were always right, or items that change someone only for them to than change back).
    Well, I think with 8-Bit Theater it was more palatable because the entire universe existed to hurt Black Mage. Sure, he was a horrible person, but he was constantly getting his karmic retribution. Plus, the characters in 8-Bit were naturally more shallow so you don't really expect them to grow.

The frustrating thing with Ardon is that he actually does show occasional signs of (slight) growth, but just throws it away anyway.

Just my .02. I obviously still enjoy the story enough to read it every day.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Bugbear in the Playground

...And there is the moral event horizon cross people were talking about.
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

That's exactly what happened. Maybe he didn't intend to start a war, but he didn't stop it either. He certainly hasn't stopped his orcs from attacking travelers like we saw earlier either.

For your other point...sure. Odie and Ell should have abandoned Ardon a long time ago if we're being reasonable about it. It's actually getting a little frustrating to read. Every time it seems like Ardon is getting character development and the story might actually go somewhere, he does something like this and we're back at square one.
    I'm not sure Ardon isn't getting character development, everyone seems to be growing and learning and coming into their own as adventurers. This isn't a story about people becoming better, nicer, kinder. This is a story about an absolute monster who kills things for fun and the people pulled along with him. We're watching Ardon's rise to power in a world that, literally, cannot stop him. I fully expect the party to fight (and possibly kill) the Sons of Solemnity later on and for Odie and Ell to justify it to themselves afterwards. The more they adventure the more horrible they get.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Banned

Well, my point was that he does get flashes of morality. Like when he saved Peanut, or baby El. It's almost like reading about two entirely different people at times.

But yeah, this isn't a good look for him right now. It's right up there with the time he murdered the halfling.