New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Will Save World for Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Well, my point was that he does get flashes of morality. Like when he saved Peanut, or baby El. It's almost like reading about two entirely different people at times.

But yeah, this isn't a good look for him right now. It's right up there with the time he murdered the halfling.
    Ah, fair enough. I was seeing the same thing in the opposite direction. Should be interesting to see how this ends up.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

It is worth nothing for those that want moral growth from him that he is soulless (to memory) for some reason, and that the Nightmare Spirit may be able to subtly influence his actions (now that he has started listening to it).
    Will have to see how this plays out.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

My favourite part is Ardon’s confusion that someone might blame himself for something instead of everyone else.

The reaction... unfortunately fits his established behaviour very well. Still incredible evil that whole stunt.
    Ardon wanted a slaughter so he makes sure he gets one.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

There isn't really any reason for his party to not be there and watching, so I assume they just saw and heard this. Morality aside it should be pretty clear he used a power on the guy.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

H'uh, this IS weird. Doesn't quite seem like Ardon to actively go out of his way just to kill something that doesn't need to be killed...

Or maybe that's exactly what he'd do... i am kind of tired RN so idk
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    H'uh, this IS weird. Doesn't quite seem like Ardon to actively go out of his way just to kill something that doesn't need to be killed...

Or maybe that's exactly what he'd do... i am kind of tired RN so idk
    I think the contract specified that their job was to kill Hragnash, so part of Ardon's motivation is to remove any room for the dwarves to refuse payment on the grounds that he didn't actually do the contracted job. Considering their reaction to him sneaking in an "I get Odie's share" clause, I think this is a very valid concern.

A Good character would argue that the spirit of the contract - helping eliminate the orc threat - has been fulfilled and, whether that argument worked or not, let Hragnash go. Ardon is an evil bastard and just doesn't care, so he's going the sure route of fulfilling the letter of the contract too.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #187
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I think the contract specified that their job was to kill Hragnash, so part of Ardon's motivation is to remove any room for the dwarves to refuse payment on the grounds that he didn't actually do the contracted job. Considering their reaction to him sneaking in an "I get Odie's share" clause, I think this is a very valid concern.

A Good character would argue that the spirit of the contract - helping eliminate the orc threat - has been fulfilled and, whether that argument worked or not, let Hragnash go. Ardon is an evil bastard and just doesn't care, so he's going the sure route of fulfilling the letter of the contract too.
    After all, it is not 'Will Save World for Good'.
    Last edited by stsasser; 2016-08-17 at 10:18 PM.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

That true but Ardon still mess up in killing the regular orc tribe members in even his own way of thinking. Since I don't know if he even get xp for poising their alcohol and if he doesn't then it surprising since that was a lot of xp to lose. Since a little from each one adds up when there that many of them and might have even cost him a level in fact and pretty sure he loves xp as much as he loves gold which is unlike him.
    Last edited by Emperor Time; 2016-08-17 at 10:38 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Time View Post
    That true but Ardon still mess up in killing the regular orc tribe members in even his own way of thinking. Since I don't know if he even get xp for poising their alcohol and if he doesn't then it surprising since that was a lot of xp to lose. Since a little from each one adds up when there that many of them and might have even cost him a level in fact and pretty sure he loves xp as much as he loves gold which is unlike him.
    Would Bobo being present at the deaths affect Ardon's xp harvest?
    The Giant

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I'm not sure because I mostly learn the rules for D&D from several webcomics.

11. - Top - End - #191

BarbarianGuy

I'm not sure because I mostly learn the rules for D&D from several webcomics.
    Yeah, I have the same deficiency in my education.
    The Giant

12. - Top - End - #192
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

If poisoning them doesn't count for xp, then any other way likely to actually work against that many probably wouldn't count either. The only way that absolutely definitely would get Ardon xp would be killing them all in combat, and Ardon's not so powerful he can fight an army and win. XP you can't succeed in claiming isn't xp at all, so going the poison route isn't losing him anything. He might even get plot/story xp from it, which while still less than the xp value of combat killing an entire tribe of orcs is a lot better than dying from picking a fight where you're ridiculously overmatched.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

13. - Top - End - #193

BarbarianGuy

If poisoning them doesn't count for xp, then any other way likely to actually work against that many probably wouldn't count either. The only way that absolutely definitely would get Ardon xp would be killing them all in combat, and Ardon's not so powerful he can fight an army and win. XP you can't succeed in claiming isn't xp at all, so going the poison route isn't losing him anything. He might even get plot/story xp from it, which while still less than the xp value of combat killing an entire tribe of orcs is a lot better than dying from picking a fight where you're ridiculously overmatched.
    That is what I am reading. It seems tough on assassins, although there are some games that vary from it, and with a proximity/immediacy requirement. I expect that Ardon will say he multi-classed as an Assassin and that Bobo's presence will qualify him for xp.

If it works, it will infuriate his party.
    If it doesn't work, it will infuriate him.
    Either way, we will be entertained.
    Last edited by stsasser; 2016-08-18 at 01:54 PM.
    The Giant

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

That true that no matter what, I am still very entertained by this webcomic.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Oh immensely. It's to the Author's credit that we've seen thousands of comics in this world and have no idea what the long-term effects of this action will be. So rare to find something this unpredictable.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So if Ardon really did poison the booze before meeting Hragnash, that means he wiped them out just to spite Groffnar.

Anyways I thought Ardon was actually going to mention how Odie doesn't get paid since he signed over his payment to Ardon.

17. - Top - End - #197

...Either Ardon is never going to one-up Groffnar, or when he does his vengeance will be horrific.
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

I hope Ardon never one ups Groffnar. Ardon needs to get pie on his face sometimes.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2016-08-24 at 12:49 AM.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

19. - Top - End - #199
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    ...Either Ardon is never going to one-up Groffnar, or when he does his vengeance will be horrific.
    Well we do know that the Guardian warned him about something Ardon does in the future. I like seeing Ardon lose too though.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    I hope Ardon never one ups Groffnar. Ardon needs to get pie on his face sometimes.
    If by „pie” you mean „jar filled with acid and acid breathing piranhas*” I agree. Throwing a real one would be a waste of pie.

*half-dragon-piranhas.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

This isn't real comeuppance for what Ardon did though. All that happened is that he gets disappointed that this particular part of his plan didn't work. So what?

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

I looked it up, unless the dwarves were lying and they did try to put a trick in the contract, it was for death or capture. Here is the link.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203

Justice? No.

Comeuppance? Yes.
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

24. - Top - End - #204
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    Justice? No.

Comeuppance? Yes.
    Can you read it? The site isn't working for me.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Can you read it? The site isn't working for me.
    I'm working on it, but it might be an overnight problem.

EDIT: Fixed.
    Last edited by LoneStarNorth; 2016-08-26 at 10:24 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206

BarbarianGuy

First Barry and now this?!?
    The Giant

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    First Barry and now this?!?
    ...Bobo is a summon. Ardon can and likely will re-summon him. Especially given that Bobo is the only being that listens to Ardon 100% of the time.

Edit: Unless you were being sarcastic, since my sense of sarcasm has temporarily abandoned me.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2016-08-29 at 12:49 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    ...Bobo is a summon. Ardon can and likely will re-summon him. Especially given that Bobo is the only being that listens to Ardon 100% of the time.

Edit: Unless you were being sarcastic, since my sense of sarcasm has temporarily abandoned me.
    No, I just don't know if it is possible for Ardon to abandon Bobo permanently, intentionally or inadvertently.
    It would be good if Ardon, if he has an opening, to grab the Guardian as a fill-in.
    The Giant

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Ardon wouldn't abandoned Bobo for good since he is pretty much his only friend that would never disobey or betray him.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ardon wouldn't abandoned Bobo for good since he is pretty much his only friend that would never disobey or betray him.
    Exactly. I'm not sure if Ardon actually values friendship or if he just has a twisted definition of the term, but he definitely values obedience (as long as the obedience is towards him of course) which Bobo has in spades.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2016-08-29 at 09:02 PM.