New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Will Save World for Gold

So now are they going to quit the party?

Yes I know any such decision will wind up with them being forced to work with Ardon again and the party will be reformed, but I still want them to do it just so they can say they tried to quit Ardon.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    So now are they going to quit the party?

Yes I know any such decision will wind up with them being forced to work with Ardon again and the party will be reformed, but I still want them to do it just so they can say they tried to quit Ardon.
    It would be interesting character growth to see them come to terms with the reality that they just fulfilled a contract that they freely signed to be assassins. Their realizing that Ardon had to trick them into fulfilling their contracts, keeping their word, would be a nice bonus, .
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wow, Ardon really just admitted that he manipulated the orc chief into attacking.
    Maybe will get a arc or so with (some of) his team mates leaving until they learn the valuable lesson that despite being a murderous jerk who cares nothing about them Ardon is still their friend. And you don't just leave friends over something minor like a horrifying act of Evil.

Honestly, I still expect this to be the story of an evil overlord’s rise to power with Ardon as the overlord and the others as his minions. Those that survive that long at least.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2016-08-30 at 12:46 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

4. - Top - End - #214
    Banned

Honestly Ardon's not even wrong here. His methods are inexcusable, but the logic is sound. Hraggy was a dead man walking, and he deserved it the moment he ordered the first raiding party.

Just because the evil overlord is civil to you doesn't mean he isn't still accountable for starting a war or raiding innocent people. He was never going to walk away from this.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2016-08-30 at 11:54 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

With that said I'm still banking on them trying to quit the party, for that last line if nothing else. (I know it says its the end of the story arc, but these things usually have epilogues. )
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2016-08-31 at 04:22 AM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Honestly Ardon's not even wrong here. His methods are inexcusable, but the logic is sound. Hraggy was a dead man walking, and he deserved it the moment he ordered the first raiding party.

Just because the evil overlord is civil to you doesn't mean he isn't still accountable for starting a war or raiding innocent people. He was never going to walk away from this.
    Even if you ignore the moral implications of killing the orcs in general plus the moral issue of murder without trial versus execution, at the very least there is the point that his actions caused the death of a few dwarven guards, who were NOT about to die anyway.

They should just leave.
    Later, they might encounter each other again since it's possible for two adventurers to take the same quest (even likely in the world of D&D), but they should leave, and under no circumstances allow Ardon to lead.
    At BEST, they should treat him as a battle advisor.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That he isn't wrong doesn't make him right.
    I mean what kind of justification is „he would have died anyway”? Ardon could say that anytime he kills or arranges the death of someone and he wouldn't be wrong.
    That our orc chief with the unpronounceable name would have been executed anyway is no justification for Ardon mind raping him into going on a murderous rampage to force his team mates to kill him.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2016-08-31 at 05:07 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

8. - Top - End - #218
    Bugbear in the Playground

I imagine LSN will enjoy reading this debate.

In update news, Ell continues to have a fascinating philosophy that might end up making her into a minion of evil and forcing her to fight her parents. And Odie goes along with it out of peer pressure. And any serious moral discussion is interrupted in a hilarious manner.
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post

In update news, Ell continues to have a fascinating philosophy that might end up making her into a minion of evil and forcing her to fight her parents. And Odie goes along with it out of peer pressure. And any serious moral discussion is interrupted in a hilarious manner.
    There's not really any debate. I already said Ardon's actions were inexcusable. People just ignored that for some reason.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Personally I'm hoping this ends with Odie applying for a job at the Boots and Buttocks in an attempt to retire from adventuring, but I'm an optimist.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2016-09-01 at 12:08 AM.

11. - Top - End - #221

BarbarianGuy

Personally I'm hoping this ends with Odie applying for a job at the Boots and Buttocks in an attempt to retire from adventuring, but I'm an optimist.
    It seems unlikely, since they are still concentrating on Ardon's actions, rather than reassessing their own involvement in mercenary killing. Odie and Ell are treating Ardon' suggestion, "If you've decided you don't like killing things for money, you might want to get into a different line of work," as rhetoric rather than solid advice.
    The Giant

12. - Top - End - #222

I don't think they know Ardon used mind powers to force the orc, they think he made him by killing his whole Orc army.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry Ell, but i think you might be seeing what you want to see rather then what is actually there
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well I kinda see Ardon as getting better during the Dire story arc, but he definitely wasn't trying to do so.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2016-09-02 at 01:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Banned

Well, El isn't wrong that Ardon needs their help. I do question whether he's worth saving at all by this point though. Of course she isn't aware of most of the terrible things he's done, so she can't really be blamed for not seeing it.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, El isn't wrong that Ardon needs their help. I do question whether he's worth saving at all by this point though. Of course she isn't aware of most of the terrible things he's done, so she can't really be blamed for not seeing it.
    Even if he is worth saving, you do not help an alcoholic with a solution like "this time WE will choose which pub to go to!"

17. - Top - End - #227
    Firbolg in the Playground

More to the point, she is a Paladin, and a Paladin whose thing specifically is loyalty to her friends (I think LSN spelled this out during the whole magic sword story arc). Her continuing to back up Ardon (or any of the others) whatever he does is kind of her thing. Actively choosing to walk away from any member of her adopted family would be a pretty huge deal for her, and it's going to take something a lot more personal than mindraping an Orc to change her mind on that.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    More to the point, she is a Paladin, and a Paladin whose thing specifically is loyalty to her friends (I think LSN spelled this out during the whole magic sword story arc). Her continuing to back up Ardon (or any of the others) whatever he does is kind of her thing. Actively choosing to walk away from any member of her adopted family would be a pretty huge deal for her, and it's going to take something a lot more personal than mindraping an Orc to change her mind on that.
    Like him being a part the death of her aunt; thus causing Ell to be separated from her parents?

Sure Ardon was almost half-way decent (or, should I say, not completely evil) there given that he sent Ell to the orphanage rather than kill baby Ell like he was told to, but he still played a part in the biggest tragedy in Ell's life.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2016-09-06 at 10:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229

Like him being a part the death of her aunt; thus causing Ell to be separated from her parents?

Sure Ardon was almost half-way decent (or, should I say, not completely evil) there given that he sent Ell to the orphanage rather than kill baby Ell like he was told to, but he still played a part in the biggest tragedy in Ell's life.
    I don't believe there's any proof of that event occurring and Ardon probably forgot it happened. I don't see how Ell would find out about it.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Banned

I forget. Was Ardon driving at the time or just riding along? I feel like he was driving.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I don't believe there's any proof of that event occurring and Ardon probably forgot it happened. I don't see how Ell would find out about it.
    Is scrying magic not a thing in fourth addition?

22. - Top - End - #232
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Is scrying magic not a thing in fourth addition?
    Scrying, in all editions as far as I know, views the present. The event in question is in the past.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2016-09-07 at 02:01 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

23. - Top - End - #233

3.5 had the Hindsight spell, which could look into the past in a specific area... But that was a 9th level spell and 4th edition did away with a lot of the non-combat magic. A quick google finds no mention of a 4th edition version of that spell.

24. - Top - End - #234

BarbarianGuy

Welp, no more Mr. Nice Ardon.

Sidenote: Is there any worse class choice than 'sewer druid'?
    The Giant

25. - Top - End - #235
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    Is there any worse class choice than 'sewer druid'?
    Absolutely.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarNorth View Post
    Really? Because I think I would have a lot of fun playing a Funk Pact Warlock. Mind you I would also go all out with it and have him talk like a stereotypical person from the 1970's as well.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

In the middle of that re-read, I just noticed that the Crooked Peak Orc Tribe quest they just finished was actually foreshadowed, but Ardon initially turned it down.

http://willsaveworldforgold.com/?p=414

28. - Top - End - #238

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the middle of that re-read, I just noticed that the Crooked Peak Orc Tribe quest they just finished was actually foreshadowed, but Ardon initially turned it down.

http://willsaveworldforgold.com/?p=414
    Huh, well played LSN, well played. It also forshadows those giant ants.
    Last edited by SZbNAhL; 2016-09-13 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Typo

29. - Top - End - #239

BarbarianGuy

Looks like somebody needs a share of a huge reward to pay for finally raising her party from the dead.
    I will be disappointed if this does not lead to Ell's 'black and white quest' being the hunting down
    of the monstrous murderer of prisoners in South Crossings' dungeon.
    The Giant

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

If they do though... Ardon would probably frame Chandea. She's capable of killing them, wields a bow, and IRRC he knows she follows him.