New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default What would you do with Sovereign Glue?

Sovereign Glue is truly wondrous stuff. Anything adhered with it is stuck until some Universal Solvent is applied, and no amount of force or magic can change that. What are some of the more creative/entertaining/bizarre uses you've come up with this lovely material, real or hypothetical.

To get the ball rolling:

1. Glue two cats together back-to-back and discover anti-gravity.
    2. Weaponize a child's game and apply it to an Iron Golem's hands and order it to play patty cake with your foes.
    3. Create an impossible bridge by gluing logs end to end across the Grand Canyon.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What would you do with Sovereign Glue?

Impregnate sheets of fabric to make a nigh-indestructable fiberglass-like material.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

5. Throw a vial of Sovereign Glue into the mouth of a Tarrasque.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Impregnate sheets of fabric to make a nigh-indestructable fiberglass-like material.
    Then make a rope out of this infinitely strong material and use it to make a space elevator. Then begin the path that leads to me as the leader of the space empire.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

6. Glue *anything* to an Immovable Rod, make *anything* immovable.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Just checking, lets say you glued someone's thumbs together. Could they get them apart by ripping off the skin, or by cutting off the thumbs, or is the magic glue trickier than that (that was the problem of police ideas for glue instead of handcuffs)?
    "Dying", a WAG Game Jam game, and my first video game. A narrative platformer with a hidden mystery, where you progress through dying: http://mask.itch.io/dying

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mask View Post
    Just checking, lets say you glued someone's thumbs together. Could they get them apart by ripping off the skin, or by cutting off the thumbs, or is the magic glue trickier than that (that was the problem of police ideas for glue instead of handcuffs)?
    I generally think of crazy glue for situations like that. You could rip off the skin to separate the thumbs. Probably hurt, but hey, it's thumbthing.

An idea I came up with as a DM-- use magic to pour out the contents of the bottle in air and let the sovereign glue harden into a ball shape. Now, fire that ball out of a cannon. Indestructible cannon ammo?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

it is thumbthing

Interestingly, that was an argument for using stone cannonballs. They smashed on impact--so the enemy wouldn't fire them back at you. Iron cast cannonballs were apparently figured to be fairly reusable.
    "Dying", a WAG Game Jam game, and my first video game. A narrative platformer with a hidden mystery, where you progress through dying: http://mask.itch.io/dying

9. - Top - End - #9

Play a cruel, cruel prank with a Chinese finger trap.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NRSASD
    3. Create an impossible bridge by gluing logs end to end across the Grand Canyon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mask
    Just checking, lets say you glued someone's thumbs together. Could they get them apart by ripping off the skin
    I would also expect the weight of the bridge to tear the logs apart, not from each other but internally.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera
    Much better.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mask View Post
    Interestingly, that was an argument for using stone cannonballs. They smashed on impact--so the enemy wouldn't fire them back at you. Iron cast cannonballs were apparently figured to be fairly reusable.
    Considering how far an iron cannonball could travel through your infantry, I don't know if it's worth the effort to go retrieve it. Well, I suppose you could in between engagements.

So how about a cannonball designed to explode on impact and it's filled with sovereign glue? Upon hitting infantry anything not immediately killed by the impact and/or shrapnel is now stuck to each other, to the shrapnel, to their equipment, to the ground...
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Millstone: If the glue is just invincibly sticky, and doesn't magically bind things so that even cutting them off won't save you, then yeah, it wouldn't actually be that useful for most applications. You could replace bolts and screws for certain takes, but only if you can get the glue over enough connecting surface area to lend as much support as the bolt. It'd also be dangerous enough that most people wouldn't want to make use of it.

Digo: The main worry was your enemy picking them up and shooting them back at you. You could retrieve the cannonballs after the battle, but prior to that, yeah, there in't really a chance.

Sovereign glue probably isn't worth the expense, you're better off with some more gunpowder and shrapnel. It does require the enemy surgeons to come up with some complex medical procedures where they skin off the top layer of skin, or just wait a couple of weeks for the skin to die and fall off with the glue. Also, the only armour you'd need against it would be a outer layer of clothing, making it less effective than shrapnel.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Combine several in this thread!

Cut someone open, then use sovereign glue to affix an immovable rod to a vital organ, then close them back up.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

But if you can cut the person up, why do to that trouble? Why not just stab those vital organs?

15. - Top - End - #15

Research? Fun? Torture?
    Last edited by Eldan; 2015-09-10 at 10:20 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that's not really that different from drawing and quartering. Just that you stop at drawing, and what you affix the organs to may as well be immovable for the person involved.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NRSASD View Post
    Sovereign Glue is truly wondrous stuff. Anything adhered with it is stuck until some Universal Solvent is applied, and no amount of force or magic can change that. What are some of the more creative/entertaining/bizarre uses you've come up with this lovely material, real or hypothetical.

To get the ball rolling:

1. Glue two cats together back-to-back and discover anti-gravity.
    2. Weaponize a child's game and apply it to an Iron Golem's hands and order it to play patty cake with your foes.
    That's technically water, you know. Unless you really mean a universal solvent, in which case, yikes, that's like the world's strongest acid (we haven't worked out what we can store the bloody thing in) but slightly tamer, assuming it's not a fast-acting universal solvent.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Considering how far an iron cannonball could travel through your infantry, I don't know if it's worth the effort to go retrieve it. Well, I suppose you could in between engagements.

So how about a cannonball designed to explode on impact and it's filled with sovereign glue? Upon hitting infantry anything not immediately killed by the impact and/or shrapnel is now stuck to each other, to the shrapnel, to their equipment, to the ground...
    I love this idea, and have a friend who would abuse this glue to no ends.

You know, if you live in a country where the entire ruling country is bards and you allow bastards to inherit then you can crank out the stuff as fast as you can make the mourning period turnover at first, and 9 months a unit later on. Could eventually glue the entire world in place.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

18. - Top - End - #18

I would go around gluing sovereigns together, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I would go around gluing sovereigns together, of course.
    Are you mad?

There's only one thing to do with Sovereign Glue, and that is put a crown on it, assemble a court full of other (lesser) glues and find some unsuspecting duchy for them to conquer!
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

20. - Top - End - #20

DwarfFighterGuy

@Anonymouswizard- Yep, water is the universal solvent but not the Universal Solvent, which is the multiverse's scariest acid. Luckily, it comes in little packets that are completely inert unless you add water.

@Millstone- You're probably right. But still...
    Last edited by NRSASD; 2015-09-10 at 12:43 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NRSASD View Post
    @Anonymouswizard- Yep, water is the universal solvent but not the Universal Solvent, which is the multiverse's scariest acid. Luckily, it comes in little packets that are completely inert unless you add water.

@Millstone- You're probably right. But still...
    Plus, at this point so many nonpolar molecules are in such heavy use that the term seems a bit dated. Prior to the existence of huge petrochemical industries, heavily used organic synthesis including lots of nonpolar steps and absolutely requiring lots of non-water solvents, and a few other things the term made a lot more sense.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Glue coins to the street and laugh as passerby try to pick them up.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

If it interacts with liquids properly, this could be a fun way to make perpetually oily or wet surfaces. Take a bunch of canvas, glue one side of it. Then, run water or oil over the other side of the glue, making an extremely thin film that goes nowhere. Other water or oil should then attach over it easily enough.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    If it interacts with liquids properly, this could be a fun way to make perpetually oily or wet surfaces. Take a bunch of canvas, glue one side of it. Then, run water or oil over the other side of the glue, making an extremely thin film that goes nowhere. Other water or oil should then attach over it easily enough.
    If it goes nowhere, would not that be a solid? Like, if it cannot move why would it still be slick?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Obviously every level 20+ dungeon needs to be made entirely out of sovereign glue, and have anti teleportation measures

That's correct, since it should stick to itself it will be the perfect construction material, don't ask me how I got that much, these things just happen
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

What would I do with Sovereign Glue?

Sell it to a research laboratory.

I'd do a live demonstration on National News as to Sovereign Glue's infinite resilience, probably using two powerful trucks trying to pull apart a couple of pieces of chain that were glued together.

Then I'd take it to the research lab, sell it to people MUCH smarter than me so they can figure out how to make more of it, and spend the rest of my life with lots of money as a group of scientists came up with a hundred and one uses for the stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Not everyone has the resources or the ability to become a wizard or a sorcerer, after all. Warlocking just requires a pact, very democratic, really. Doesn't require wealth or a magical lineage, just a promise, and all of your problems will go away.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    If it goes nowhere, would not that be a solid? Like, if it cannot move why would it still be slick?
    The lowermost fluid layer would basically be solid. The upside to this is that a thin layer will essentially pull more to it, making an easily produced liquid layer around the base object, even if the base object would repel the liquid in question.

-- ChubbyRain

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Obviously glue someone's butt to a toilet seat... For eternity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Glue coins to the street and laugh as passerby try to pick them up.
    You could use normal superglue for this.

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    Obviously every level 20+ dungeon needs to be made entirely out of sovereign glue, and have anti teleportation measures

That's correct, since it should stick to itself it will be the perfect construction material, don't ask me how I got that much, these things just happen
    Try not to touch the walls.

Better yet, cover the glue walls with... something. Paper? Rocks? Whatever's cheap?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

Glue souvereigns together.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP