New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Average skill modifiers in lvl 1+ builds?

I'm looking at producing some higher-level characters from scratch, and I was wondering if there was a table or something that gave a good idea of the 'average' modifiers for a character of level X.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Average skill modifiers in lvl 1+ builds?

How do you mean? Most builds will probably have their main skills at level + 3 + something, generally 1-10.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Naturally, characters have the main skills that they focus on (and max out to the best of their abilities); I guess I'm asking more about the skill you take ranks in because you have points left over. Is there generally a minimum investment that you can put into a skill to make it useful?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes... And No.

You have to plan your character if your starting at a high level. If you max out skills you will have HUGE gaps in others. A balanced diet works best.

I prefer that your level/2= a good minimum. Sometimes, by 2.5 might work.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Korias View Post
    Yes... And No.

You have to plan your character if your starting at a high level. If you max out skills you will have HUGE gaps in others. A balanced diet works best.

I prefer that your level/2= a good minimum. Sometimes, by 2.5 might work.
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

You're better off maxing the skills you're likely to need. D&D rewards specialization. Be the best at your chosen field, and coordinate with the other players so that there isn't too much overlap.

Once you have the skills you're going to specialize in maxed, then you can start looking for things you can do well, if not brilliantly. If you're a high-Int character, like a wizard, putting a point or two into each of the knowledge skills can be useful, since you have a chance of making 15+ or even 20+ checks, depending on your level. A few ranks into jump can give you a bit of mobility when you need it. Also look for prerequisites for any prestige classes or feats you want. You'll want to budget for those as early as possible.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm going to have to agree with Jack Mann on this one.. specialization puts you one up on the enemy.. and if you're team don't all specialize the same way.. you've usually got one character that can oust the evil doers
    Don't think I don't know what you're not undoing

Awsome Avatar by the one and only Serpentine

Play chess online <= challenge ChomZ

Awesomeness

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Any skill that requires training and meshes with your high ability scores is probably worth a point skimmed from somewhere.

Some skills, particularly knowledges, are worth taking to 5 ranks and dropping for synergy bonuses. But that's really just more specialization.

Handle Animal, Ride, Heal, and Survival have uses with fixed DCs that might justify taking only enough ranks to guarantee success on those uses...

But by far the standard is Character Level +3 points of every skill.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

realisticly it depends on the skill. knowledges are useful at 5 ranks with a good intelligence, and rarely needed above a +20 check for any reason (limiting hte useful ranks to about 15 generally). use magic device is much higher to use effectively, and a check of +30 is not a waste. any opposed skills are good to have at any rank. your +10 spot wizard might not catch the ranger or rogue, but he may catch the druid sneaking about.... 6 in tumble wil help a character fight defensively. 5 in bluff nets you a +2 bonus on half the social skills in game. basicly, figure out what dc you need, and shoot for that. make yourself able to succeed at hte rolls you feel the character needs to be capable of making regularly, and use the rest for fun.