Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 37 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default The Edge of Humanity OOC.

At the Edge of Humanity
    Chapter 1 - What the heck is up with this world?
    Part 1: At the Edge of Humanity
    Post 487: The Breaking and The Separation
    Part 3: Rejoining

In Search of Humanity
    Chapter 1 - Finding the Parts
    Part 1: Finding the Parts
    Part 2: The Separation and Joining

Past Battle maps

Welcome my friends. IC thread is up.

Spoiler: Character Prompts
    Show

The following are prompts to think about for your first IC post when the game is up. I ask several questions to help you all find your way to Honest Abdul's Magical Emporium in Riel. My intention here is to say, It's okay to make some things up about how you found about Abdul, or the world, or the encounters you had getting there. That's cool, even.
    Spoiler: Alala
    Show
    Alala was the illicit centaur of some horrible breeders in the foothills between the Craazian steppes and the Versuvian hills. You have heard tales from your fellow gladiators that in Steosh, to the East past Craaz and Sodis, your kindred Centaur died out during the Cleansing. Still, because of the incredible rarity of your kind, your…business associates…trained you very well. Still, the travel has not been easy, with traders, businessmen and likely hunters, too, pursuing you. Something drew Alala to Riel, and as soon as you arrived, you seemed drawn to a large, plain-looking…barn.

You had surprised Honest Abdul, who confided in you that he had not meant to be found yet, and needed help setting up “for all the others that are coming.” It’s been several days, and the work has been demanding, but the food and accommodation Abdul has provided has made you feel safe, respected and welcomed. It seems like he’s greatly appreciated the help! What equipment had you left with, and what trinkets and items has Honest Abdul given you in exchange for your aid and promise to keep quiet about his presence? Furthermore, since you've worked for Honest Abdul for a solid week without question or complaint, he has granted you a boon that is not extra money or items or bringing anyone back from the dead. What did you ask of him?

Spoiler: Jerixedeles
    Show
    You were born in The Roost, the breeding ground of all Dragonkind. To your credit, he survived what was likely the end of the Cleansing. The fading microclimates of The Roost that made your whelp-hood comfortable has almost certainly left you with a profound sense of loss. Many of your kin and similar kinds and colors were slain, and oddly, you felt a profound desire to fly West to your supposed home. Did Jerixedeles resist the urge, or did he go "home"? How and where did he meet Honest Abdul, the trader and enchanter extraordinaire? How did Abdul persuade the young dragon to make the long and dangerous journey to Riel, or did the young dragon convince him with a deal?

Spoiler: Omar Greeneyes
    Show
    Omar was there in the Great Plague that recently wracked Sodis. He has heard many rumors, common especially among the humans there, that the powerful Elves of My’’lather brought it upon Sodis to strike back against the great Wizard colleges that led The Cleansing. One thing has become certain to Omar during his months of flight from civilization: The Green Plague was effective. During his flight, Omar saw many refugees fleeing from Sodis that were like him, fleeing to Riel where there was rumored to be a cure. Many of those you traveled with survived neither the transformations nor the journey. How did he avoid the Hunters that killed off many of his companions and find his way to Honest Abdul, Potionsmaster and Apothecary sublime?

Spoiler: Steygre
    Show
    The world must be a strange and exciting place of mystery to a newly-awakened Dire Rat. What was the Green Spellplague of Sodis like to you? Was your lab destroyed? Finally, you likely learned about Honest Abdul, master Apothecary and Potionmaster from the gossip of humans. But what REALLY drew you to Riel to seek out Abdul? Did you follow the refugees of the Green Plague that fled to Riel? How did you avoid the Hunters that preyed upon the hapless humans as they fled for safe haven?

Spoiler: Vutha Suaco
    Show
    Your masters at the Crimson Citadel in Acheron gave you a mission, and you disobeyed it. For that you were Banished from the planes. What was that mission? More importantly, when your form was forced to astrally travel, an overpowering voice asked you, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO FIGHT FOR? What was your answer?
    After your reply, the voice said YOUR ORDERS ARE SIMPLE: TREAT THE BEING WHO SUMMONS YOU NOW AS YOUR NEW MASTER.

With the summoning complete, a wizened man stands before you and is examining a gem he swiped from the summoning circle.

It appears my deal was successful. I must explain to you the terms of your service.

Spoiler: Xylona
    Show
    Xylona was there during the Cleansing. She was present when the Portals to the Seelie courts ruptured, causing the horrific, consuming fires that turned much of the Wildwoods and parts of Steosh and Dorne into what is known as the Barrows. Despite making it to Steosh with Akasha’s help and what seemed like a new life, she did not stay with Adelorn forever. Xylona found herself in the clutches of Lady Ivy and her band of terrorists. During that horrible raid upon that eastern Dornish town, something snapped.

Adelorn likely told Xylona of Honest Abdul, Master Artificer and his mentor. But how did the dryad find out he was staying in Riel for a short time, and how did she make the treacherous journey to Riel successfully? Finally, I am sure that Xylona made many aqusitions regarding her contraptions and devices. She need not list them all, but a general idea of what she might have is good.

Full-sized Map of Nidea
    Spoiler: Nidea
    Show

Spoiler: Map of Northmost Versuvia
    Show

Spoiler: Information about Nidea, available now to everyone
    Show
    Since Omar Greeneyes grew up in Sodis, he received an education about the continent and its customs: The Geography and History as taught by Semic, your dwarven geography teacher, is only partially available to your memory since his ravaging with the Green Plague.

Nidea extends into the eternally darkened Frozened Sea, and is your known world.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The continent of Nidea is one of two large continents on this world. There are several islands elsewhere in the world, but they are not significant landmasses.

Kochus is a loose federation of barbarian nations of humans, goliaths, dwarves, and other mountainous races. It has little contact with the world, as there are no paved roads into Kochus.

East of Kochus, the Islands of Syas span far into the ocean. It seems to be volcanic, and thus not a safe place to live.
    Spoiler: Omar's remembered history
    Show
    Several thousands of years ago, it is said by the Elves, Syas was a great nation of Elemental power, and the hubris of Man brought it it to ruin. Only the islands closer to Nidea are inhabited by bold seafarers that also trade with Kochus.

The Wildwoods Border Eastern Kochus and are a dangerous place inhabited now by mostly powerful beasts and Druids. Many, many races live here, but since the Cleansing, the Wild Woods have become oddly silent, and is not inhabited by any sane person.

Directly west and south of the Wildwoods, the Barrows emerged from the Cleansing. This used to be the heart of Druidic civilization, many peaceful Elves, Dryads, nymphs, and fey creatures. It is even said that one could find their way to the other worlds, but the Cleansing also brought about the horrific destruction of these Portals, leading much of the Great Wilds a charred scar upon Nidea.

The Roost is the southern region of Nidea. It was the breeding ground for all Dragon Kin and ruled by the difficult and dangerous alliances of the Five Chromatic flights.
    Spoiler: Omar and Jerixedele's remembered history
    Show
    The Roost featured many magical regions and zones that have recently lost most of their power that was lovingly tended to by all Dragon kind. Its loss of regions, weather influence and protections is said to have profound consequences that may last for centuries.

The regency of Thisk lies West and a little north of the Roost. Thisk is a fertile country and the agricultural powerhouse of Nidea. It is a nation of brilliant halflings, gnomes and humans and even some fey.
    Show
    Thisk is actually overseen by the Arcanes of Sodis. It has a nickname among the Humans as the Cradle of Civilization. It is the only nation that did not fully participate in the Cleansing. Before the Cleansing, the region of Thisk was the most powerful region of Nidea, and had many more humans than it does now.

The Elven Nation of My’Lithar, north of Thisk, is a vast wilderness that houses the world's living elves.
    Show
    My'Lithar has a much greater expanse of forest than is geographically present—no doubt due to the magical influence of the Elves. With the Cleansing, the Alliance has been fractured for the first time in ten thousand Cycles. The Drow war against the Five-Colored Flight of dragons was successful; however, their price for their arrogance was near-extinction. The Drow have retreated, so it is said, to the uncharted regions of this vast woodland but have disappeared from scholarly divination.

The Craazian Steppes are the former nesting place of the Five Colored Flight of Tiamat’s dragonspawn. Kobolds, dragonborn, drake-kin and many more lived in this region. Since the Cataclyms, its climactic separations and controls have left a tumultuous and dangerous land that only the bravest adventurers and Wizards dare venture into.
    Show
    It is said, however, that beneath its vast caves, lies an uncharted world of great danger. The elves has known about its existence for a long time, and have warned the Humans that now that the Colored Flights are no longer alive, they cannot protect the world from its horrors. Only the death-throes of the land itself protect the world from what your teacher has described as “terrors beyond nightmare” and “wondrous treasures beyond compare”

Versuvia's great rolling hills in Western Nidea make up a vast region of civilized races and had by far the greatest population of humans, but also had a great many hobgoblins, orcs and dwarves. Versuvia, with is proximity to the Elves, the Five Flights, Kochus, and the Dwarves of the Northern Spine, has led to a great wealth of many martial schools and clerical temples.
    Spoiler: Omar and Alala's learned or known history
    Show
    Versuvia has become a region where martial law is the only thing holding it together, but a great number of the savage races were wiped cleanly from existence. The soil of this region is said to have changed to a darker shade due to the sheer amount of bloodshed during the Cleansing.

The Western Spine and the Northern spine, which creates the borders of Versuvia and Kochus, features the severe peaks, snowy climates, powerful rivers, and vast underground networks forged by the Dwarves, Gnomes, Goliaths, and other races. Most of the world’s ore is said to come from this area. The dwarves maintain that this fact, not its geographic appearance, is why they are called "The Spines of the World"
    Show
    During the Cleansing, the Dwarven Legion shattered due to severe disagreements. It is said that the only thing keeping the dwarves in a tenuous alliance were the threats of underground monsters, but with them supposedly gone, they have come to bickering and pointless political battles. Semic was very curt about this matter. It seemed a very emotional subject for him, the only time you've ever seen him close to tears, and your education about the Dwarves is thus woefully incomplete.

The Marlands of Dorne are nestled south and east of the Spines. They have always been a strange place for monster-kin and was a refuge for many creatures that wanted a place to stay. It is said that the Treants, Ogres and Trolls that oversaw much of the natural castles of this region are all dead. What was not killed lost a good third of its land to the Barrows. Since the Cleansing, Dorne has become a loosely unified region of (un)civilized hunters that are using the region as their area of operations.

The great Plains of Steosh lie south of Dorne, and featured both the greatest horsemen and horse-men. It is also the realm of the greatest non-dwarf craftsmen and elven cultivators of the world. Sprawling castles, great feats of architecture, and a profitable region that benefitted from trade with the (now-dead) Chromatic Flights from the Roost and the regency of Thisk.
    Show

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon, the greatest constructed wonder of human civilization, is said to be the birthplace of humans. It is with bitterness and regret that even Semic has taught you this, but he has said “Despite the horrible corruption of the human race, Babylon is a testament of artwork and creativity that can come from a species capable of combining the beauty of elves and ingenuity of dwarves.” He notes, however, that they could not have made it on their own, and relied upon the help of a dragon. Omar doesn’t remember its name, sadly.

Finally, Sodis, the small island-city of the Wizard College of Nidea. Little is known about Sodis by the monstrous races.
    Spoiler: Omar and Steygre
    Show
    Sodis is a large city-island packed full of every conceivable "civilized" race. The great Arcane College of Nidea rises prominently from the center of the city, and traffic both in the form of ships and land-shipment comes to and through the city on its way elsewhere on Nidea.

Player's story Post Character Sheet General Concept Picture
    Nyarai Jeridexeles Dragon Rogue
    whoiam Alala Titan-blooded Centaur Warblade
    Swami .. Monsoon Omar Greeneye Greenbound Faeriefire Adept
    Steygre Tai Dire rat experiment turned-genius.
    Silver Night Verin Pak Neogi Cleric

NPCs
    Character introduction Region / Organization Picture
    Honest Abdul Region: Unknown Organization: Self-employed
    Spoiler
    Show
    Xylona TBA
    blackwind1kaze
    Vutha Suaco
    soul mulched

Spoiler: Wondrous Items discovered
    Show

Niellere's Sword

Spoiler: The Raiment of Tonahmun (full set)
    Show
    Armor (Garb of Tonahmun)
    • Everclean: This armor is always clean when it needs to be.
    • +3 Leather Armor
    • +3 to Will Saves
    • While worn, blocks information gathering by divination spells or effects & even foils limited wish, miracle, and wish spells when they are used in such a way as to affect the subject’s mind or to gain information about it

Boots (Heels of Tonahmun)
    • Everclean: These boots are always clean when they need to be.
    • +15’ movement speed
    • 1/day: Reroll save against any magical effect
    • Does not activate Traps, Runes, & Area-detection spells

Gloves (Grip of Tonahmun)
    • Everclean: These gloves are always clean when they need to be.
    • +3 on Reflex Saves
    • +3 to Use Magic Device & may use skill untrained
    • 3/day: Apply Dimensional Anchor to target, touch attack [DC = Attack total]

Cloak (Wrap of Tonahmun)
    • Everclean: This cloak is always clean when it needs to be.
    • +3 on Fortitude Saves
    • DR 15/- against summoned creatures
    • At Will: Improved Invisibility, 3 hr/day

2/4 set items
    +1 to Armor Enhancement (Stacks)
    +1 to Fort, Reflex, and Will Saves (Affects Wrap, Grip, and Garb, respectively)

3/4 set items
    +1 to Armor Enhancement (Stacks)
    +1 to Fort, Reflex, and Will Saves (Affects Wrap, Grip, and Garb, respectively)

Complete Set Bonus
    • When you roll a 3 on any die roll, you must re-do the roll & accept the result
    • 3/day, as a free action, gain Ethereal Jaunt like the spell, for 3 min. (Boots)
    • 1/day, as an Immediate Action, gain 100 Temporary HP when damaged by a spell, psionic power or spell-like effect (chest)
    • Immune to Divination Effects (replaces immunity to Scrying) (chest)
    • 1/day: Teleport Without Error (gloves)
    • DR 15/- vs Spirits (does not stack with other DR) (cloak)

Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2017-05-21 at 02:11 PM.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    DM of Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC

more

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: The Edge of Humanity OOC.

Wooooooooo! Hi, guys! I am beyond excited. Also, exhausted. Jerid speaks in Medium Blue. I'm not sure if we're starting out all knowing each other or not, but if we do, my character's going by Jerid at the moment. His full name is reserved for other dragons and particularly cool people that he comes to trust.

Here's my sheet again, for the record.

Spoiler: Character Sheet
    Show
    Jeridexeles

Spoiler: Sources
    Show
    Sending Stones MIC 184
    Shax's Indispensible Haversack LINK
    Strength of the True FormDoE 15
    Vestment of Many Styles RoE 175

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    I am Jeridexeles, the most powerful dragon in these deserts. Don't make that face. I am! Granted, it wasn't through any great feat of strength. Merely process of elimination. My broodmates and I hatched three years ago. Our parents were old enough - if only just - to remember a time before the Cataclysm. They spoke of blues lording over the desert skies, destroying entire caravans to sate their appetites. If they weren't my parents, I would have thought their stories were a joke, or more charitably, a invention to boost morale. The tales certainly kept us motivated and, above all, obedient. It was a good year, until our luck ran out. Dragon hunters descended upon my parents' lair. They put my family to the sword. How was I spared? Simple. I- I-

Damn it! I hid, all right? Bow down before Jeridexeles, Hide and Seek Champion! I could only cower helplessly as those mongrel humans butchered my kin! I exacted my vengeance on a nearby human settlement. The sheep do too count! You people, I swear. My luck ran out there as well. No, it wasn't the hunters again. If it had been them, I would not have survived. No, it was a mob. A well-armed one. I fled into the forest, covered in nasty wounds. I thought I would die there. A young man found me. Adventurer, by the looks of him. Then he did something truly unbelievable. He dragged me into his cabin. Bandaged my wounds and gave me food to eat. I saved my strength for cursing him. He merely smiled through it all. Watt was his name. Eventually, we bonded, though his friendship in no way diminished my hatred for his kind. He encouraged me to come out among his people. I did have the ability to take other forms, particularly one of a young man. Watt seems convinced that, given enough time, I could come to accept humans and they me. Frankly, I think he's an idiot. Most of the time. Others, I wonder what the future might have in store for me. For all of us.

Spoiler: Character Pictures
    Show
    Spoiler: True Form
    Show

Spoiler: Alternate Forms
    Show

Last edited by Nyarai; 2015-09-13 at 02:15 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I knooow and I have to be up early in the morning, but tonight was an exception I'll likely pay for later

The big reveal will happen at the posting of the IC thread. Thank you for posting your sheet~
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2015-09-13 at 02:15 AM.

more

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I'll admit, I got to sleep through most of it (for me, the decision period was from 9PM to 8AM... yay, time differences!)

Alala shall take Saddle Brown as her colour.

Spoiler: Character Sheet
    Show

Spoiler: Sources
    Show

City Slicker Flaw
    Warblade, Manoeuvres and Stances are all from the Tome of Battle

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show

"The first thing I can remember is the side of a mountain. Some men had fitted reins to me - or maybe they found me with them? My memory is a little fuzzy that far back. Either way, they were leading me down the mountain. In those days, it was a struggle to keep up. I was very small.

Those men did not really want me, it seems. For once we reached the first town of the foothills, they sold me. I almost wish I knew how much I had been worth as a foal. It is always nice to have some idea how far you have come along, hm?

My new owners ran a travelling circus. Initially, they just treated me like a weird pony - I was tied to a stake in a field, and children could ride me for a couple of coppers a time. It was fun having other children to play with, but there were limits as to what I could do - the rope, the men watching that the child didn't get to stay on longer than their parents had paid for...

So I tried running away. It wasn't hard, to tell the truth. Even when I was little, dragging a stake out of the ground or gnawing through a rope weren't exactly hard tasks for me. Plus I could see better in the dark than my owners could.

But once I was out, then the problems started. It was quite a shock, I tell you, finding out just how 'welcoming' society was once I was on my own. It started with scared people running at the sight of me. Then progressed up to gangs of people cornering me... I was facing down the business end of a number of spears when my owners caught up and collected me.

When they brought me back, the ringmaster began to explain things to me. Told me about the war. About how the monsters had been killed off, to protect the humans. And... about what would happen to me, if I tried striking out on my own.

I was rather better behaved after that point.

As time passed, I grew too big for pony duty. They tried a few other acts for me, before I settled into a role as the circus' strongman. It made sense, after all - long before I'd grown to full size I was the strongest thing in the circus, short of its pair of tame elephants. My speciality was the tug-of-war tournament. Any four people from the towns we visited could haul a chain or hawser against me for five silver coins. If they won, they got the pot. At the end of the evening, the day's best teams were called back, and allowed to go at me in ever-increasing numbers. It usually took 7 or 8 to shift me.

I ended with a pretty good record - only two losses to four-person teams. But, to be fair on this point... that was because the second team to beat me, bought me.

That second loss was to a team of Gladiators. They'd taken me on as a way of publicising their troupe, but I did well enough to impress their trainer. He was always short of wild beasts for his charges to fight in front of the crowds, and... well, a Centaur was a perfect buy. Better than he'd expected, actually - it didn't take long for me to start picking up the skills the gladiators were using against me, and I was fast becoming a proficient warrior.

Eventually, they began billing me as a gladiator in my own right. I'm not too fond of the image they gave me - barbarian furs were just the start. People were told I was wild, untamed, with the words of pagan gods screaming through my brain... load of nonsense, really, but it sold the tickets that paid my keep, so I can hardly complain. That's where I got my name - my current name. I was asked to name myself something fierce and warlike in my people's tongue. Alala - 'Warcry' - fit the bill, plus it was easy to remember. Which, I was told, was the point. I had to stick in the public's mind so they'd want to watch me a second time...

My chain dates back to around that time, too. I needed a 'barbaric' weapon, but their greataxes weren't big enough for me. So I improvised one day with 20' of chains... the crowd loved it, and my weapon of choice was born!

Like most other gladiators who start to make a name for themselves, I was eventually sent out on tour. Meet fresh crowds and charge them double your normal prices, that sort of thing. Since I was supposed to be this raging monster, they took some extra 'precautions' when moving me. I was allowed to keep pace with the caravan myself, but I was always hooded and ridden, with my arms chained together behind my back. True, the chains were padded (and would have been about as effective as leaves at restraining me if I'd actually wanted to go somewhere), and the hood was so thin I could see perfectly well through it. But the appearance was maintained.

In the end, my success got to me. A far... richer... promoter bought me. I learned something important then - humans generally don't get to be rich by being nice. Fake restraints became real manacles. Encouragement became threats, whips, and drugs in the food to keep me docile. Fights to first blood increasingly became fights to the death.

The fun, in short, was taken out of my career.

Well, I mentioned earlier that chains couldn't hold me if I really wanted to leave. And it turns out, I was right. I spent two days faking illness so I'd be clear-headed at night. Then I waited until things were quiet, spent all of two minutes ripping my chains apart, collected my equipment and ran.

Which is what I'm doing now.

Getting away's pretty easy. I was a much better fighter than the guards trying to stop gladiators escaping. I'm fast, even by horse standards. And I can fly! These wings aren't just for decoration, you know. Makes me pretty hard to track once I'm out of sight. With an entire night's head start, they were never going to find me.

....I just...

....really....

...wish I knew where I was going....
    "

Spoiler: Character Pictures
    Show

Sorry, there aren't any:(

Still, if you run across anything that matches the description of a brown-haired/furred winged centaur (and isn't too obviously naked to link to on this forum) let me know :)

Spoiler: Half-Celestial Progression
    Show

Level Flight SLAs Resistances Stat Bonuses Racial save bonus vs Poison Darkvision Misc
    1 1/2 base movement speed, Clumsy Effective HD 1/4 current Cold 10 Str, Dex, Con, Wis, Cha +1 1 15' NA +1, RHD grant 8+int Skill Points
    2 base movement speed, Poor Effective HD 1/2 current Electricity 10 Str, Con, Int, Wis, Cha +1 2 30' Immune to Disease, Daylight (at will)
    3 1.5 x base movement speed, Average Effective HD 3/4 current Acid 10 Str, Dex, Con, Wis, Cha +1 3 45' Smite Evil 1/day, Natural Weapons count as Magic to bypass DR
    4 2x base movement speed, Good As listed DR 5/magic Str, Con, Int, Wis, Cha +1 4 60' SR (10+HD), Type changes to Outsider (Native)

Now I've got some setting information to read through
    Last edited by whoiam; 2016-04-26 at 04:35 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

info updated~ Gnite whoiam

more

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler: DM Only
    Show

"Alala was the illicit centaur of some horrible breeders in the foothills between the Craazian steppes and the Versuvian hills."

Sounds good to me. Still, do you mind Alala herself not knowing that? I didn't want her to grow up with a massive grudge against humanity in general, which she probably would have done if she could remember that. Though I'm looking forwards to her finding out as an adult

Actually, that wouldn't have been a bad choice of boon from Honest Abdul. I assume asking him where to look for her parents would count?

Anyway, the stuff on her sheet is supposed to be Alala's Gladiator equipment, so I'll add on some mundane equipment (and some casual clothing) as the stuff she's gotten from Abdul. Also, would he have been able to do enchantments? If so, I'll say that the enchantment on the spiked chain came from him as well, even if she brought the chain itself with her.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Whoiam: You may withhold information from Alala, absolutely. Abdul can grant her that boon, although he tells her It may take some time, but I will let you know when I do.

Honest Abdul does enchanting. If you cannot justify it in your backstory, Abdul will have your relevant items enchanted.

more

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Hello everyone!

I shall claim claim Dark Green for Xylona's color.

Spoiler: Questions for DM
    Show
    Is there more information I should know about Lady Ivy and Xylona's captivity, or is the details not too important at this time? Right now I can easily imagine Xylona having been forced to make items for the terrorists for one. Her lifetree chest is a really easy way to hold her captive to those in the know.

I was going to ask about changing my equipment a little after seeing Jeridexeles sheet and Shax's Indispensible haversack, but by the "contraptions and devices" line, does that mean I can just give a description of things she might be able to pull out instead?

That would be really helpful, as I was somewhat despairing of equipping her with all the rest of the mundane equipment/alchemical stuff :P. I'll just put aside a large chunk of my remaining gold dedicated to that and will be ready to go.
    Last edited by Incendius; 2015-09-13 at 07:26 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello and Congrats, though I wonder what hell would have been like with the 14 players lol.

Well, anyways, I'll take red.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, I'm surprised (and happy) to have made it.
    I will use Teal.

A couple of quick questions:

-Does Omar remember much about the history of the Great War/Cleansing? What started it? Why was it fought?

-Were Omar and Xylona both captives of Ivy at the same time? Do we already know each other and are traveling together? (Or is that up to us as the players to decide?)

-The Hunters that are murdering the refugees... are they a human or monster faction?
    Last edited by Swami Monsoon; 2015-09-13 at 09:49 AM.
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: The Edge of Humanity OOC.

Quote Originally Posted by Incendius View Post
    Hello everyone!

I shall claim claim Dark Green for Xylona's color.

Spoiler: Questions for DM
    Show
    Is there more information I should know about Lady Ivy and Xylona's captivity, or is the details not too important at this time? Right now I can easily imagine Xylona having been forced to make items for the terrorists for one. Her lifetree chest is a really easy way to hold her captive to those in the know.

I was going to ask about changing my equipment a little after seeing Jeridexeles sheet and Shax's Indispensible haversack, but by the "contraptions and devices" line, does that mean I can just give a description of things she might be able to pull out instead?

That would be really helpful, as I was somewhat despairing of equipping her with all the rest of the mundane equipment/alchemical stuff :P. I'll just put aside a large chunk of my remaining gold dedicated to that and will be ready to go.
    Mostly, I would say that since her studies were rigorous and thorough while the cleansing happened, and your tutor was one of the few people in the world to NOT be routed and killed for harboring monsters, she wouldn't have known Ivys group from other "terrorist groups." She certainly would have known that it was a common excuse to cut down otherwise pleasant monsters, like the Centaur. If you want to work together with Swami, though, please do so, and I look forward to what the two of you come up with!

Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    Hello and Congrats, though I wonder what hell would have been like with the 14 players lol.
    Long waits.

Quote Originally Posted by Swami Monsoon View Post
    A couple of quick questions:

-Does Omar remember much about the history of the Great War/Cleansing? What started it? Why was it fought?

-Were Omar and Xylona both captives of Ivy at the same time? Do we already know each other and are traveling together? (Or is that up to us as the players to decide?)

-The Hunters that are murdering the refugees... are they a human or monster faction?
    I rolled for Omar's knowledge individually for each region, but he rolled fairly poorly overall for history and well for geography. Steygre's character may have learned more about the past conflicts, but Steygre has to show up...and I need to PM that rat

it seems I mixed up omar and Xylona's stories. Thats what i get for revising at 2 AM. I love when players weave stories together, though. For now, Lady Ivy is operating around Dorne and the Wildwoods.

Lady Ivy leads a force of extremists, both monster and human, and they are murdering the families of Hunters that moved to Dorne!! They even feature a Gorgon as her second and a Dire Displaced beast, and they are known to have a few powerful artifacts that make their location magically undetectable.

I will be busy most of the day (volunteering) but will return in the evening for the creation of the posts. I will generally encourage you all to meet and greet characters once at Riel.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2015-09-13 at 03:49 PM.

more

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ~Corvus~ View Post
    Xylona did not become entangled with Ivy by my reckoning. But Omar and Xy may have traveled together, and she could certainly have found out about her and their atrocities. I love when players weave stories together. For now, Lady Ivy is operating around Dorne and the Wildwoods.
    I am slightly confused now. In my character questions you said
    Spoiler
    Show
    Xylona found herself in the clutches of Lady Ivy and her band of terrorists. During that horrible raid upon that eastern Dornish town, something snapped.

So do you mean that Xylona fled the attack rather than be captured?

I would be happy to coordinate with Swami though. Perhaps the attack on Xylona's town was his point of defection? Encountering a fey being hosted by a kind human could have been the last straw. With Xylona's illusionary magics and Omar's combat capabilities they would have complemented each other greatly in their flight.

Swami, what do you think?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

That sounds like it could work either way... we were both captives or I met you as I was escaping.
    The one thing I'm trying to figure out is how I would have heard of Abdul (and realize his importance).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Long waits.
    Yeah, one round of combat would take like 2-4 weeks.

Spoiler: For DM Eyes Only
    Show
    Hrm... Bummer to hear about the Roost. I'll put fixing it on my to-do list. Dunno how the hell I'm gonna do that, but it's on there. The ancestral urge is tempting, but Jerid's petrified of meeting more dragons. Other blues will despise him if they find out how he managed to survive. Plus, he's still raw over the death of his family. Rather not think about it, you know? Better to focus on other things.

As for Honest Abdul... Let me think. Jerid still prefers seclusion, but his buddy Watt loves both people and adventure. (He's like a low level (how low, I don't know) ranger. Not someone I'd ever deliberately bring into combat, since he's more likely to get ganked by a stray fireball than be useful.) But yeah, Watt could totally convince Jerid to take some kind of job for Honest Abdul, if'n he's looking for muscle. Frankly, even just going somewhere new would suffice.

Oddly enough, I think this character's more likely to stick to human form than his true one. Monsters are more likely to fear a human than a wee little dragon, after all, and it keeps him safe around the hu-mons. I dunno. We'll see the way things break. Anyone else down to associate with two (ostensibly) human lads? Or a small blue dragon? (But don't laugh. He hates when people laugh. )

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I must have mixed up Xys story and Omar's story. Well, it seems that's the way it will go! Sorry for the confusion.

more

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

So the "Green Spellplague" did more than make people sick? Did it work sort of like the Wildcard Virus from the Wildcards series?
    Omar was led to believe that his transformation was the manifestation of Fey ancestry... so were the transformed plague victims people with hidden nonhuman genes that reacted to the virus?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

So the "Green Spellplague" did more than make people sick? Did it work sort of like the Wildcard Virus from the Wildcards series?
    Omar was led to believe that his transformation was the manifestation of Fey ancestry... so were the transformed plague victims people with hidden nonhuman genes that reacted to the virus?
    I will leave that up to speculation for now =3

more

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

So, I've done Alala's mundane shopping. Added some basic tools like a battering ram, sledgehammer, etc. Also gave her her first set of clothing (not the first she's ever worn, but the first that's ever been hers) and lots of waterskins, because while she can easily chase game down on the move, she kinda sucks at finding drinkable water.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarai View Post
    Oddly enough, I think this character's more likely to stick to human form than his true one. Monsters are more likely to fear a human than a wee little dragon, after all, and it keeps him safe around the hu-mons. I dunno. We'll see the way things break. Anyone else down to associate with two (ostensibly) human lads? Or a small blue dragon? (But don't laugh. He hates when people laugh. )
    Well, I doubt she would have met either of you before the start of play, but Alala was raised by humans and will probably instinctively get along with them better than she would a Reth Dekala, about whom she knows...

"Martial Lore Check" - (1d20+15)[17]

...probably enough to realise they're not terribly friendly, as a rule. many unsavoury (and probably inaccurate) rumours, plus that they're (typically) evil outsiders.

Anyway, quick note for those of you with a movement speed of 30: In pure weight terms, Alala can carry the entire party at 90' (In a couple more levels, she'll be able to fly the lot of you at 120). She also comes with a military saddle, and was trained to take riders as a foal. How you make use of said saddle, I leave up to you. Slowpokes
    Last edited by whoiam; 2015-09-13 at 04:40 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    Slowpokes
    Sweet, a flying buddy. In three levels, I'll be flying at 150'.
    Last edited by Nyarai; 2015-09-13 at 05:46 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I rolled for Omar's knowledge individually for each region, but he rolled fairly poorly overall for history and well for geography. Steygre's character may have learned more about the past conflicts, but Steygre has to show up...and I need to PM that rat
    "Indeed! Where is that no-account, sewer-crawling, disease-spreading plague upon humanity and its kindred?"

I guess I'll take that color, whatever one wishes to call it.

So, it seems to me that Tai originated on Sodis, possibly even in a lab that was part of the Wizard College.

Tai's viewpoint is going to present a bit of a challenge (for me, at least). In terms of experience, he's very much a child, though rat instincts probably take him a long way in basic survival ability. (I think Factotum was a very good match for a rat: a very versatile class for a very versatile creature.) In terms of intellect, however, he's much, much smarter than his player. His ability to process information, make connections, recall what he has read – is phenomenal.

Spoiler: Plague
    Show
    The spell plague would have been something of interest to Tai. I would assume, or propose, that it broke out shortly after he escaped from his lab, and the presence of the plague (as well as his own efforts at covering his tracks) are a reason no one is probably actively looking for him. A widespread plague would affect the rat community, too: they would be vulnerable to infection, and many of the people (rightly or not) might view them as vectors, leading to some purges of the sewers and other rat hang outs. Tai probably would have applied himself to learning what he could about it. If he really focussed on it, he could get a +37(!!) to any of his known knowledge checks once a day. (That's +12 for skill mod, +10 insight from one magic item, +5 competence from another, and +10 from spending an inspiration point.)

Since he has left Sodis, I assume something he learned about the Plague compelled him to leave, whether the reason is to find a cure, to avoid infection himself, or because it is the harbinger of something much worse.

Spoiler: The Lab
    Show
    By write-up, Tai's lab was run by an Artificer. I think this helps explain the use of a druid spell for Awaken plus other magic items and tomes that Tai pilfered in his escape. Tai purposefully tried to destroy the lab in his escape, in the hopes no one would be able to figure out that a super-genius rat has been loosed upon the world: whether or not he is a threat to anyone, his intellect and self-preservation instincts both convince him that he could readily be perceived as a threat, and exterminated on that basis.

Spoiler: Honest Abdul
    Show
    Everyone knows of Honest Abdul. If there's something that cannot be learned about the spell plague from books, he is the nearest, most likely source for it. The real challenge will be how to get the information from him. He will probably readily see through an illusory disguise, and who knows what he may think about talking with a rat?

Spoiler: Evading the Hunters
    Show
    Hah, hah, hah! Now that's easy, when you can smell 'em before you even see 'em.

Tai followed the fleeing pilgrim trains but was not actually part of any of them. He recognizes the limits of his Hat of Disguise, so tries not to use it unnecessarily. He didn't really need anything the pilgrims had, but their presence served as a useful distraction to anything that might hunt him, as well. The occasional hunter who did notice a dire rat prowling along the roadside might find him extremely charming, or have the sudden suggestion he should be seeing to something else. Anyone who proved both strong-willed and persistent, well, then you must run away, as far from others as possible, and if he persists, burn the body to cinders when no one else is around to see. Tai is not charitable to a proven threat.

Does that help to cover things?
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

OK, how does this sound?

Omar (as per the backstory) is imprisoned by the group after refusing to murder prisoners and eat human flesh. He is locked away until he finally agrees to eat some of the human meat that's been saved up (a horrible memory he'll be struggling with for a while). He realizes he has no choice if he wants to escape. The group takes him on its next "mission," among other things planning to complete Omar's initiation with murder. As the fighting starts, Omar makes a break for it. He meets Xylona as they're both running away.

I'm not sure how they'll learn about Abdul...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

You're welcome to throw Tai into that mix. I could see him finding common cause with someone on the run, and he would be a means of learning about Abdul.

Just a thought. Do not, by any means, feel obligated by it.
    Custom Class

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Should be home soon. Been a long day!

more

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarai View Post
    Sounds good about how she was convinced to help Abdul. This guy sounds like a fun person, and a cool foil to have along. I'd welcome your use of him in play, but he won't have much combat use.

Very much like that, actually. Tai will have information about the spellplague.

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    So, I've done Alala's mundane shopping. Added some basic tools like a battering ram, sledgehammer, etc. Also gave her her first set of clothing (not the first she's ever worn, but the first that's ever been hers) and lots of waterskins, because while she can easily chase game down on the move, she kinda sucks at finding drinkable water.

Well, I doubt she would have met either of you before the start of play, but Alala was raised by humans and will probably instinctively get along with them better than she would a Reth Dekala, about whom she knows...

[roll0]

...probably enough to realise they're not terribly friendly, as a rule. many unsavoury (and probably inaccurate) rumours, plus that they're (typically) evil outsiders.
    Alala has heard from his tutors about the Reth. They are a mysterious group of warriors from some infernal plane she can't remember. But she does remember that they are generally cruel and merciless mercenaries, and their bodies are made of geenish vapors with eerie power. He also heard that they suffer from a terrible curse, and are forced to kill people until this curse is ended.

OK, how does this sound?

Omar (as per the backstory) is imprisoned by the group after refusing to murder prisoners and eat human flesh. He is locked away until he finally agrees to eat some of the human meat that's been saved up (a horrible memory he'll be struggling with for a while). He realizes he has no choice if he wants to escape. The group takes him on its next "mission," among other things planning to complete Omar's initiation with murder. As the fighting starts, Omar makes a break for it. He meets Xylona as they're both running away.

Yes, Tai is the perfect intermediary for this.

more

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

One additional thought, fwiw: perhaps Tai's high intelligence is also a result of the Plague? The Artificer may have anticipated a really smart rat, but not a 2+3d6+pb-omg!-rat. Just an extra wrinkle that need not affect things much either way.
    Custom Class

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

more

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    One additional thought, fwiw: perhaps Tai's high intelligence is also a result of the Plague? The Artificer may have anticipated a really smart rat, but not a 2+3d6+pb-omg!-rat. Just an extra wrinkle that need not affect things much either way.
    Nope! So go ahead and make me two knowledge checks for two days of information-gathering:

One is a day for learning about the Plague

One is about Honest Abdul.

more

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

If a Knowledge (Local) check is allowed/useful to learn about Abdul. (Failing that, I'll try to learn more about where we are.)

K (Local): (1d20+7)[8]

Actual post will probably have to wait until after 4 PM, unless I get very bored and feel like tapping an entire post out on my phone.
    Last edited by Nyarai; 2015-09-14 at 05:19 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Plague knowledge: (1d20+37)[55] (using K(arcane), but pretty much any of the others would have essentially the same modifier; if you want it based off another, just tell me, and I can give you the correct modifier).

Abdul knowledge: (1d20+37)[44] (using K(local))

Tai knows a lot, even when he doesn't know a lot.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2015-09-14 at 10:22 AM.
    Custom Class

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

And so it begins :)

I don't intend Alala's fear of Vutha to be a long-running thing, but it'll probably last about as long as it takes her to find out either a) he's not following the kill-our-descendants policy of his kin, or b) that she's not of the bloodline in question.