New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 142930313233343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1416
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE2!-CWBG-I-Begin-Again [Applications Open!]

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post
    There is an IC bit of explanation as to what occurred. You may have received a notice informing you of it. (Check Spring Court News and Rumors, Round 2)
    Silverbit, see the answer to the previous question. You're going to need to re-roll your Conquest dice. Probably at 2d10, until the 'confirmation' of your specialization at the end of the round.
    I've seen the notice, yeah, just thought I'd build off it.
    Ah right, will do, wasn't sure if it kicked in this round or next.
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mary_Sue View Post
    Alright, I will start with wood as a resource with the intention of upgrading to ships at some point in time. Would it be acceptable to be as specific as saying my resource is Cedar trees?
    Mary with Wood as your resource your nation is approved to be posted in the Lands thread and you can take actions this round.

Quote Originally Posted by DoomHat View Post
    Wait a second, how? Hasn't the territory explored by Serpent gone black along with 70? I'm not sure it's kosher to vulture down on territory that was just vacated this turn by an ooc player drop.
    Edit: By which I mean, get the advantage of an exploration action at no cost, and with no one fighting you for it. If that's allowed, I feel almost morally obliged to diplo fight you for 68-70.
    68 and 69 will remain uncovered and claimable/colonizable. 70 will become an unclaimed region with 1,000 troops in it. The successful first claimer of it can decide if they want to keep the Trolls there or not.

The Necron Directorate and it's underground discovery will become unknown once again. Whether the surface simply lost contact or destroyed by some deep earth seismology would need exploration.

There is an IC bit of explanation as to what occurred. You may have received a notice informing you of it. (Check Spring Court News and Rumors, Round 2)

Quinton or Aedilred; Military Conquests start rolling war dice, ie, at 2d10. Correct? So a Military Specialization to Conquest [in Round 2] would bump the roll to be 2d12 (starting round 3), correct?

Silverbit, see the answer to the previous question. You're going to need to re-roll your Conquest dice. Probably at 2d10, until the 'confirmation' of your specialization at the end of the round.
    Military Conquest does roll 2d10, rolled by moi in the round open. Bear in mind, unstable regions will remain unstable and keep doing unstable things until stabilized.

As to specializations, one could have a specialization in conquering "unclaimed lands" (IE: empty regions with an army) but such a specialization would be distinct from one that granted a bonus when fighting another imperial power (IE a player)

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Military Conquest does roll 2d10, rolled by moi in the round open. Bear in mind, unstable regions will remain unstable and keep doing unstable things until stabilized.

As to specializations, one could have a specialization in conquering "unclaimed lands" (IE: empty regions with an army) but such a specialization would be distinct from one that granted a bonus when fighting another imperial power (IE a player)
    Clarifying for possible future needs: Conquereing Specializations of this nature would also work with empty regions without an army? Or only with an army would you get the bonus dice?

I mean... I guess it wouldn't matter? But... Just want to be clear.
    Last edited by Gengy; 2015-10-24 at 09:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Troll in the Playground

Clarifying for possible future needs: Conquereing Specializations of this nature would also work with empty regions without an army? Or only with an army would you get the bonus dice?

I mean... I guess it wouldn't matter? But... Just want to be clear.
    I'm going to say they'd be different for armied and non-armied since the only reason non-armied would matter would be in beating out someone trying to colonize so that's different intimidation tactics than quelling a quasi-state's defense force.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1145

Mary with Wood as your resource your nation is approved to be posted in the Lands thread and you can take actions this round.

68 and 69 will remain uncovered and claimable/colonizable. 70 will become an unclaimed region with 1,000 troops in it. The successful first claimer of it can decide if they want to keep the Trolls there or not.

The Necron Directorate and it's underground discovery will become unknown once again. Whether the surface simply lost contact or destroyed by some deep earth seismology would need exploration.

Thank you QuintonBeck! I have done that. How and where and what do I roll exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    God, get it together Mary.
    Thank you to AsteriskAmp for the lovely avatar!

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you QuintonBeck! I have done that. How and where and what do I roll exactly?
    You can post actions in this thread. Not sure what you mean specifically about rolls? But if you want to make some use this thread
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2015-10-24 at 03:11 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1147

You can post actions in this thread. Not sure what you mean specifically about rolls? But if you want to make some use this thread
    Sorry, I see people have stats?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    God, get it together Mary.
    Thank you to AsteriskAmp for the lovely avatar!

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry, I see people have stats?
    Ah yes, the rules thread explains the rolls but stats are 1d4 and you have two +1s to distribute as you see fit.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Ogre in the Playground

Those stat rolls.

...I'm envious. But fyi, as Quinton said, you are not locked into what you rolled this time. You can move the numbers around to suit you, and add +1 to two of the stats. So... you could have all 3s, and two 5s, in whatever two stats you wanted... or one 5, and two 4s, and the rest 3s. Or some other combination!

Later rulers, you won't get to choose where your stats go. But you can get higher bonuses.
    Last edited by Gengy; 2015-10-24 at 04:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Titan in the Playground

Those stat rolls.

...I'm envious. But fyi, as Quinton said, you are not locked into what you rolled this time. You can move the numbers around to suit you, and add +1 to two of the stats. So... you could have all 3s, and two 5s, in whatever two stats you wanted... or one 5, and two 4s, and the rest 3s. Or some other combination!

Later rulers, you won't get to choose where your stats go. But you can get higher bonuses.
    Agreed .___. Appropriately named account, or subversion? Only time will tell.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Agreed .___. Appropriately named account, or subversion? Only time will tell.
    Almost as good as my exploration rolls...

As for the comment- I too suspect the name to be a hint.
    "What is to give light must endure burning."

12. - Top - End - #1152

Goblin

Region 146 Undaros
    Edited
    Spoiler: Terrain
    Show
    In the very northernmost points the Lignummese jungle seeps across the border but it quickly becomes a forest of conifers before stretching out into the great plains. The forest is where the giant spiders moved after the Lignummese drove them back and so the forest is generally avoided by the simple people of Undaros.

Spoiler: Landmark
    Show
    The great lake (festival). Once a year, when the fishing is done all of the Undaroos put on their brightest clothes and head to the lake. They swim and show off their kites and art and they all celebrate. They raise tents and have friendly tribe versus tribe competitions.

Spoiler: People
    Show
    The people of Undaros are roughly two feet tall and covered in brown fur. They have very small triangular ears and slightly webbed feet. Their eyes are round and black and their snouts are more defined than those of their Lignummese cousins. They used to live entirely in the water but have recently started to live on land in round huts made of branches and mud. These huts are quite strong and help to keep out the predatory giant spiders that inhabit the land. The huts, though drab on the outside, are brightly decorated and filled with art and tools.
    The Undaroos love bright colors and wear cloaks and capes and smooth baggy clothes all dyed in bright reds, yellows, blues and greens. They also enjoy painting in a simple but vivid style.
    Spoiler: Example
    Show
    They also construct fly brightly colored kites for fun.
    They are mainly divided into two factions. That of the south makes clothes and kites and grow dyes and vegetables. The tribe to the north builds houses and fishes in the great lake.
    Because of their religion each man and woman of each tribe has a different job that was taught to them by their mother or father since they were born.
    The men of the north build and maintain houses to keep the people safe from the spiders.
    The women of the north fish for food and bones which are used in art and for sewing.
    The men of the south grow gardens of small plants like potatoes, carrots, various flowers for dyes and tobacco.
    The women of the south make kites and clothings and dye them bright colours with the dyes of their male counterparts.

Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    The Undaroos believe that they were created by four magical creatures of the sky. They believe that to each corresponds a color. Red created the women of the north and the fish in the lake and all the water that exists. Blue created the men of the north and the first home and all the mud and trees to make them. Green created the men of the south and grew the first garden. Green created all plants in the south to feed and clothe the Undaroos. Finally Yellow made the women of the south and all things of the air including the snow that comes for several months of the year and the kites that the women of the south create.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show

a minor resource of Dyes is harvested alongside the vegetables that feed the country. They take the form of small flowers and small leafy plants. The Undaroos gather the harvested flowers and leaves of the desired color and boil them in water then leave the water overnight. The next morning they have beautifully colored dyes that they can mix with a paste to make paint or pour onto cloth to color them.
    They need wood as it is essential for building their homes but they do not dare venture far into the forest for fear of the giant spiders.
    Last edited by woolli264; 2015-10-26 at 03:07 PM.
    total-cluster**** of yogurt, drugs and sheep in EMPIRE!
    The rodent tribes of the Ruby Legion in EMPIRE2!
    The goblin kingdom of Jauder in EMPIRE3!
    The sailors of Izbefe in EMPIRE4!

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woolli264 View Post
    Region 146 Undaros
    Firstly... I cannot not read this region name as "Underoos", the brand of funny undergarments. I find this amusing.

Secondly, to everyone, you have less then a week till end of Turn 2! Just thought you should know. Gengy will be very busy this week, IRL. Don't expect many friendly reminders this time around. CHECK YOUR POSTS.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Troll in the Playground

Region 146 Undaros

Show
    In the very northernmost points the Lignummese jungle seeps across the border but it quickly becomes a forest of conifers before stretching out into the great plains. The forest is where the giant spiders moved after the Lignummese drove them back and so the forest is generally avoided by the simple people of Undaros.

Spoiler: Landmark
    Show
    The great lake (festival). Once a year, when the fishing is done all of the Undarese put on their brightest clothes and head to the lake. They swim and show off their kites and art and they all celebrate. They raise tents and have friendly tribe versus tribe competitions.

Show
    The people of Undaros are roughly two feet tall and covered in brown fur. They have very small triangular ears and slightly webbed feet. Their eyes are round and black and their snouts are more defined than those of their Lignummese cousins. They used to live entirely in the water but have recently started to live on land.
    The create round huts out of branches and mud to live in and hide from the giant spiders in.
    They love bright colours and wear cloaks and capes and smooth baggy clothes all dyed in bright reds, yellows, blues and greens. They also fly kites and colour them quite brightly as well.
    They are mainly divided into two factions. That of the south makes clothes and kites and grow dyes and vegetables. The tribe to the north builds houses and fishes in the great lake.
    Because of their religion each man and woman of each tribe has a different job.
    The men of the north build and maintain houses to keep the people safe from the spiders.
    The women of the north fish for food and bones which are used in art and for sewing.
    The men of the south grow gardens of small plants like potatoes, carrots, various flowers for dyes and tobacco.
    The women of the south make kites and clothings and dye them bright colours with the dyes of their male counterparts.
    Each immediate family lives in its own house and is similar to a human family in how long the children stay under the parents care before going to work. It is the parent's job to teach their child how to do the duty assigned to them by the gods.

Show
    The Undarese believe that they were created by four magical creatures of the sky. They believe that to each corresponds a color. Red created the women of the north and the fish in the lake and all the water that exists. Blue created the men of the north and the first home and all the mud and trees to make them. Green created the men of the south and grew the first garden. Green created all plants in the south to feed and clothe the Undarese. Finally Yellow made the women of the south and all things of the air including the snow that comes for several months of the year and the kites that the women of the south create.

Show

a minor resource of Dyes they need wood as it is essential for building their homes but they do not dare venture far into the forest for fear of the giant spiders.
    I'm with Gengy on the name sounding like Underoos Could use some more explanation in the resources on what their dyes are/how they're harvested/etc. and the people section could flow a bit better.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1155

Goblin

Firstly... I cannot not read this region name as "Underoos", the brand of funny undergarments. I find this amusing.

Secondly, to everyone, you have less then a week till end of Turn 2! Just thought you should know. Gengy will be very busy this week, IRL. Don't expect many friendly reminders this time around. CHECK YOUR POSTS.
    Yes this was part of the name. I used my English to Latin google translate and two of the "other results" for water were Unda and ros so I thought underoos will be a country and now it is.

16. - Top - End - #1156

Goblin

I'm with Gengy on the name sounding like Underoos Could use some more explanation in the resources on what their dyes are/how they're harvested/etc. and the people section could flow a bit better.
    Ok thanks. I'll work on it.

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    In fact, and just to give fair warning as much as anything, I'm down to invade region 2 this turn. Even if I suspend that action because you're starting there, that region is going to get invaded on a when, not if, basis, and probably sooner rather than later, as it's my only route for landward expansion and thus I can't even expand around it. So not only will you have a problem expanding due to competition, you might have a problem surviving. I say this not so much out of concern for my own plans (although it would cause me issues) but because it might result in a rather short game for you.
    Well, I'm really busy IRL (kinda managing my own little empire, and I have a hard time bringing myself to neglect it in favor of an imagined one) and I don't like to half-ass things, so I've been reading both this thread and the IC thread not too sure of whether to jump in or not.

If I do jump in, it will definitely be in a crowded area. Not region 2, after reading your post and your description of your region. Which brings me to another quesiton I wanted to ask (a general question, not only directed to you). Culturally and ethnically, for the sake of realism, my people is going to be quite similar to my neighbor's. (My region 2 would've been populated with Nanda-esque people under another ruler, speaking a cousin language or even a dialect, culturally very close, and with the same kind of physiography you have for region 1.)

So, would that generally be regarded as a "no no", or instead encouraged as realistic world-building? 'Cause the way I see it, it's really a win win situation -- easier for me (much less time involved in designing my people-culture if I can nearly steal someone else's!) plus it's also better for flavor/realism.

And I don't mind a short game... if I get conquered quickly, I won't complain!
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    Well, I'm really busy IRL (kinda managing my own little empire, and I have a hard time bringing myself to neglect it in favor of an imagined one) and I don't like to half-ass things, so I've been reading both this thread and the IC thread not too sure of whether to jump in or not.

If I do jump in, it will definitely be in a crowded area. Not region 2, after reading your post and your description of your region. Which brings me to another quesiton I wanted to ask (a general question, not only directed to you). Culturally and ethnically, for the sake of realism, my people is going to be quite similar to my neighbor's. (My region 2 would've been populated with Nanda-esque people under another ruler, speaking a cousin language or even a dialect, culturally very close, and with the same kind of physiography you have for region 1.)

So, would that generally be regarded as a "no no", or instead encouraged as realistic world-building? 'Cause the way I see it, it's really a win win situation -- easier for me (much less time involved in designing my people-culture if I can nearly steal someone else's!) plus it's also better for flavor/realism.

I would actively encourage similar but competing cultures/dynasties with the same heritage.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1159

Goblin

I'd say that you'd probably have to ask the person whose culture you are copying as opinions probably vary.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Titan in the Playground

Personally at least I'd encourage that sort of thing, for exactly the reasons you suggest. It just makes sense for people to have similarities to the people right next to them unless there are other reasons for it (and the idea that a particular race/phenotype could spread over more than one region was mentioned by Quinton before the game started), rather than having a mad patchwork of totally different peoples living all on top of each other.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

21. - Top - End - #1161

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Personally at least I'd encourage that sort of thing, for exactly the reasons you suggest. It just makes sense for people to have similarities to the people right next to them unless there are other reasons for it (and the idea that a particular race/phenotype could spread over more than one region was mentioned by Quinton before the game started), rather than having a mad patchwork of totally different peoples living all on top of each other.
    Yeah i am trying to make my people very similar to surrounding peoples. In the other country I am colonizing this round I plan on having a "missing link" between Zayuz and Dimples people that will be present in more than one region probably so that they are kind of unified.

Then their are the Undarese who came out of the water, developed sentience and divided into two groups. One went north and adapted to life in the trees and they became my starting race the Lignummese the others stayed and kept many of their abilities to swim and became the Undarese. Underoos :)
    Last edited by woolli264; 2015-10-25 at 12:41 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1162

Goblin

Can you take a curiosity 5 to improve someone else's resource?

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Troll in the Playground

Can you take a curiosity 5 to improve someone else's resource?
    No, not unless you're in a federation but then it isn't really someone else's resource at that point.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Titan in the Playground

So if lio45 won't be taking region 2 I will post my writeup of it. Since it duplicates (or rather, refers to) the region 1 description for a lot of its details and is therefore on the thin side, I've also done some more work on the Nanda religion and history, which I'll post here as well.

Spoiler: Nanda History and Legend
    Show

Nandan Dynasty

The Nandan dynasty were the first ruling family of the Nanda, considered to be the children of Nandir. Tall and broad and black of skin, the first among them were fearless warriors, mighty statesmen, a succession of heroes. It was they who, in accordance with Nandir’s wishes and guidance, led the Nanda out of the darkness to the lands of the sun. There they displaced the Twilight Men who inhabited the lands and attempted to deny them their birthright, and learned to tame the great reptiles that stalked the plains.

As the blood of Nandir thinned with the passing of generations, the later rulers of the Nandan dynasty were lesser than their forebears and the people were sundered between different kings and tribes as they squabbled over their inheritance. Foreign folk encroached upon the borders of the Nanda territory but so consumed were the Nandan kings with their squabbles that they did nothing to repel them.

Eventually a hero arose in the west, in the city of Babai. He conquered the tribes of the Nanda and overthrew their kings, taking their daughters and sisters as wives. He became the first ruler of the Baban dynasty.

Baban Dynasty

The Baban dynasty established their capital in the city of Avali, one of the first cities of the Nanda people and where the most powerful Nandan kings had been based. It was under the Baban dynasty that the first codes of laws were written to apply to all the Nanda people. Distant setrapa and petty kings came to pay homage at the feet of the King of Nand.

Later kings moved their capital to the new city of Amaki in the north, on the coast facing the sea, and began building boats and ships to transport the people across the waves, for they believed they had tamed the ocean as they had the land and its animals. Yet a great wave came and destroyed the city and killed the king and much of his court.

The king and his followers retreated to Avali but never again did they invest so much attention in their land or their people, becoming more interested in the size of their harems and the contents of their vaults. The penultimate king fell under the influence of his favourite concubine, who upon his death seized power and won the allegiance of the army. The king’s successor, a young child, was initially retained as a puppet and eventually overthrown. Thus ended the Baban dynasty.

Jangan dynasty

The progenitor of the Jangan dynasty was a woman from a warlike tribe from a far-flung region of the kingdom. She was taken as a concubine by a king of the Baban dynasty while still a young woman, but retained her fierce spirit and strategic acumen. During the last years of the Baban dynasty she steadily accrued more and more power before taking the throne herself.

Her descendants were in her image, and the Jangan rulers were warrior kings who spent their reigns marching from one end of the kingdom to the other, building fortresses and castles, developing new weapons, tactics and strategies (many of which are recorded in writings from this era). The Jangan era is also believed to be the period when women became more empowered in society, especially in light of the veneration of the dynasty’s founder.

Later Jangan rulers, however, were to fall victim to the success and policies of their predecessors, for the powerful generals and governors they had installed turned upon them, seeking elevation or independence, and increasingly they found themselves fighting their own subjects rather than foreigners. Eventually they were defeated by the armies of the Neskan dynasty and their foreign overlords.

Neskan dynasty

The Neskans are the only foreign dynasty to have ruled Nand (although some claim they were in fact a native dynasty who have become associated with foreigners). During the last years of the Jangan dynasty, the kingdom came increasingly under attack from foreign peoples, and the king was unable to muster enough support to see them off. Eventually a great army poured into Nand and swept aside the last resistance of the native people. Nand became subject to rule from abroad, with a subject of a distant emperor appointed as king to rule over them.

Despite their origins, the Neskana had perhaps the most pervasive cultural influence on the modern Nanda. They were enthusiastic practitioners of polygamy, but prohibited it to those outside their own dynasty, so that when they eventually fell, the practice, previously commonplace among the Nanda, died with them. It is believed they were the first people to introduce the concept of dressing for the sake of modesty rather than for practical purposes, and the appearance of day clothing is dated to their era. They also took up the worship of local Nanda gods, with the consequence that their patron gods, formerly popular in the kingdom, became despised and reviled among the population in general.

As the empire which empowered the Neskan dynasty fell, so the people rose up against them. The last Neskan royalty were killed or fled into exile. The leaders of the revolution chose a leading nobleman and apparent descendant of the Jangan dynasty to take the throne in their stead, and so began the Sasan dynasty.

Spoiler: Nanda Paganism
    Show
    Nanda legend tells that the heavens and earth were created by the union of the Sky (Kumbir) with the Eternal Mother (Hanahannah). From them were born eight children:

Alyssah, goddess of night.
    Tarhir, god of thunder
    Nanumah, goddess of the ocean
    Jaburah, goddess of the underworld

Some say these first four were children of Kumbir alone and not of Hanahannah.

Nandir, god of light
    Arannah, goddess of fire
    Zeminur, god of earth
    Aniteh, goddess of water

These are collectively known as the Kuma (roughly speaking, Old Gods). They are for the most part elemental deities who do not feature prominently in the religious life of the Nanda.

After siring his eight offspring, Kumbir, who was a primitive creature, was replaced as ruler by his son Nandir, the most noble and far-sighted of his children. Some stories say that Kumbir stepped aside willingly, while others have him overthrown by his progeny.

Very soon, however, the Kuma came into conflict with each other. The struggle was great and terrible and threatened to lay waste creation, until Nandir issued an edict that all the Kuma must depart the world, lest their strife destroy it utterly. Six of His siblings obeyed, but Alyssah, the most powerful, refused. The conflict between the two continued, until eventually a bargain was struck, wherein the world would be divided between them. Thus was formed the regular pattern of day and night.

Following this the two elder gods largely ended their interference in matters of the world, though periodically Alyssah (who got the worse of the bargain) is tempted to break the agreement and extend Her reach into Nandir’s domain.

The Younger Gods

The Nanda divide the younger gods (hereafter referred to simply as gods) into three groups: the Sephada, the Dardora, and the Buchira. These are often translated as gods of the heavens, underworld and earth respectively, or of the day, the night and the twilight, but none of these is strictly accurate. While the Dardora tend to be associated with facets of life generally considered negative, they are not exclusively so, nor are they confined to a single sphere. The Buchira represent a bridging group between the two, neither wholly one nor the other, though their allegiances tend to lie with the Nanda people.

The Sephada

The Sephada are the children and descendants of Nandir and His full siblings: Arannah, Zeminur, and Aniteh.

Erinir, god of the sun. Son of Nandir and Arannah. He was a patron of the Baban dynasty.
    Asurah, the Morningstar. Herald of Erinir, daughter of Nandir and Arannah.
    Ayan, goddess of the dawn. Daughter of Erinir.
    Nebadah, goddess of law. Daughter of Nandir and Arannah.
    Larutir, god of battle. Son of of Arannah and Zeminur. He was the patron of the Jangan dynasty.
    Turandah, goddess of love. Daughter of Arannah and Zeminur.
    Therzir and Zithir, patrons of the Nanda people and warriors in particular. Twin sons of Zeminur and Aniteh.
    Sashah, goddess of fertility. Daughter of Zeminur and Aniteh.
    Napatir, god of rivers and streams. Son of Zeminur and Aniteh.
    Abazir, god of springs. Son of Zeminur and Aniteh.
    Laimah, goddess of marriage. Daughter of Turandah and Nebadah.
    Anayah and Rathir, gods of lust and sex. Children of Turandah and Larutir.
    Rendinir, god of archery and hunting. Son of Larutir.
    Sharal, god of conquest. Son of Larutir.

The Dardora

The Dardora are the descendants of Alyssah and Her full siblings: Tarhir, Jaburah and Nanumah.

Lelaneh, goddess of death. Daughter of Alyssah.
    Yamaneh, guardian of the Underworld. Daughter of Lelaneh. Yamaneh stands at the gates of the Underworld, protecting them against incursions from demons, foreign gods, or living souls attempting to disrupt the harmony of death.
    Jenehuntir, guide of souls to the Underworld. Son of Lelaneh.
    Nantarul, god of plague and disease. Son of Lelaneh.
    Varunal, the slayer, god of violent and undeserved deaths. Son of Lelaneh.
    Susinir, god of judgment. Son of Jaburah. Susinir judges souls to determine which realm of the underworld they may enter and what manner of punishment they must suffer for the crimes of their lives.
    Hathal, god of storms. Son of Tarhir.
    Alkam, god of warfare and destruction. Ancestry unknown. He was a patron of the Neskan dynasty.

The Buchira

Although Alyssah was a fell and terrible goddess, Nandir loved His sister well, and He had a number of children by Her. Their progeny exist wholly within neither of their spheres, bringing light to the darkness, or casting shadows and doubt over matters otherwise clear and certain.

Nanah, goddess of the Moon.
    Nepireh, goddess of the Moon, twin sister of Nanah. As only Nanah is now visible, Nepireh is believed dead or departed.
    The Sitorana, the stars. Countless in number. Most revered among them is:
    Elarendeh, the evening star. Although she resides in Alyssah’s realm, She defies Her mother’s orders and escapes every evening to warn the Nanda of Her mother’s coming.
    Nabir, god of wisdom
    Lurilah, goddess of dreams
    Nanshah, goddess of justice. Daughter of Nabir and Nebadah.
    Sharamayah, goddess of mercy and compassion. Daughter of Nabir and Nebadah.
    Alkabir, god of prophecy. Son of Nabir and Lurilah. He was a patron of the Neskan dynasty.
    Johun, god of rain. Ancestry disputed.
    Lembal, god of the wilderness. Ancestry disputed.

Depictions and significance of the gods

The precise significance of each of the gods varies throughout the Nanda regions, and different cults seem to have risen and fallen in prominence over the years. Depictions of the gods also often vary, with some of them often shown effectively as symbols rather than as entities of agency. Where gods have anthropomorphic depictions they are traditionally almost always shown naked or near-naked except where noted, although a culture of conservatism under the Neskan dynasty saw the addition of loincloths or fig-leaves to paintings and icons, elements of which still pervade Nanda religion.

Most of the Kuma tend to be depicted in illustrative or fantastic form rather than in a reverential one. Nandir is shown as a great golden king, wearing a crown of pure light; Alyssah as a beautiful but pale woman clad in heavy robes of blue-black. Nanumah usually takes the form of a great equid comprised of green waves, ready to crash down on the unsuspecting. Jaburah resembles Alyssah, save that Her skin is black and her robes even darker, Her face often veiled. Arannah is a young woman with skin that can range from smouldering black and red to bright white-yellow. The other Kuma are relatively rarely depicted.

Erinir took His father’s place as king and is generally depicted in the same royal aspect. He is sometimes shown wearing his father’s crown. Asurah resembles Her father, and carries a staff with a bright shining light at the top of it: the beacon by which She announces His coming. Ayan meanwhile, though otherwise appearing identical to Asurah, wears a cloak of light (usually red or orange) which She spreads over the land to allow Erinir to walk in comfort.

Johun is both revered and feared. The rain brings life to the arid plains and relief to the weary, but if it persists for too long the clouds darken the sky and endanger the people. The Nanda give offerings to Johun both in hope that He will show His favour and to assuage His wrath. He is usually depicted as a winged serpent, green and black in colour. Lembal is likewise often depicted in bestial aspect, frequently as a large suchian.

Alkam and Alkabir were patron gods of the Neskan dynasty and it is not clear if they were native to the Nanda or whether they were imported by the region’s conquerors. In either case, few depictions of either god survive, for many of their shrines were toppled immediately following the fall of the Neskana. In His few surviving depictions, Alkam seems to be wearing rather heavier armour than would normally be worn by a Nanda soldier. These days he is treated as a god of destruction, the wasteful side of war, and is feared for that reason.

Labutir is shown as a more usual Nanda warrior, generally reflecting the military standards of the day. He wears a helm and carries a large curved sword and a long spear. Although a battle god, Labutir is generally associated with strength, valour and rage rather than with skill or strategy. His sons Sharal and Rendinir are depicted as more shrewd, and Sharal is particularly popular among generals and military leaders, for His inspiration will not only slay enemies but win wars. Most soldiers pay great respect to the twins Therzir and Zithir, patrons of warriors and raiders, a pair as cunning and loyal as they are strong and brave.

Turandah is a popular goddess, venerated by couples of all ages and often as a patron of brotherly and familial love as well as between lovers. She is not to be confused with Sashah, who represents fertility in nature (and thus animals, plants and crops) rather than people. Perhaps surprisingly Turandah is generally depicted clothed, though less modestly than Her daughter Laimah.

The cult of Laimah serves as an unofficial registrar for marriages and respect is paid to Her at every Nanda wedding, though She is a patron of married couples as well as marriage ceremonies. It is common for couples to pray and make offerings to Laimah on anniversaries of their wedding. No such restraint is shown when it comes to Laimah’s half-siblings Anayah and Rathir, who are without exception always depicted naked and frequently in an act of lewdness. They are sometimes even reduced to a straightforward, crude image of genitalia with wings attached.

Nanshah is a stern-looking woman, often shown blindfolded and holding a set of scales, although this is not universal and some have been known to complain that this depiction is pollution from a foreign cult. Her sister Sharamayah is shown as a young woman, usually with hands outstretched and weeping. She is a patron of healers and almoners, although is one of the most popular gods among all Nanda.

Most of the Dardora are rarely depicted. Susinir is sometimes viewed as a god to be appeased, for His favour will determine one’s fate for eternity. It is said by many that Susinir is a merciless and unyielding god whose favour cannot be bought, but this does not stop people trying to win boons from Him. Varunal and, more rarely, Nantarul, are sometimes invoked in the context of curses against one’s enemies. Both are terrible: Varunal carries a great blade which will consign any soul to oblivion in the lowest reaches of the underworld; Nantarul can lay waste entire cities in His wrath.

Spoiler: Region 2
    Show
    Babanand
    Region 2

Population: 817,000

Show

The land here is mostly prairie as with the region's neighbour to the east, but rises into more hills and rocky outcrops. Aside from its coast to the north, it is bounded on two sides by large lakes, the coasts of which contain most of the largest settlements in the region. The shallows of each of the lakes provide an ample supply of fish and shellfish, though the deeper waters remain largely untravelled, as does the open sea. To the south the region begins to degenerate into the Wormwood swamp, which forms the effective border with Krozna.

The larger of the two lakes is known as the Scarlet Sea, although the etymology of this term is unknown: some say it refers to the wormwood plant that grows along its southern shore, some that it is named for the skin colour of the Kroznat in the swamps beyond.

Show

The people here are Nanda, with the same brightly-coloured skin as their cousins to the east. There is no real central government, with the authority of the setrapa who once ruled in this region long since broken down.

Show

From quarries in the hills the people have an ample supply of stone, mainly limestone, which is used extensively in construction.

Although building materials are plentiful, the people require hard metals, as they have not discovered any native seams of iron or tin.

Show

The Nanda of Babanand follow the pagan Nanda gods, with minimal penetration from organised religion in the shape of the Doctrine of Nine Candles.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2015-10-25 at 03:02 PM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

25. - Top - End - #1165

Underonians? Undranians?
    "Everyfing I see is mine. All da uvver bits are mine too - I just ain't got there yet." - Grimgor Ironhide

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Guard View Post
    Underonians? Undranians?
    You're trying to hard.

"Underoos".
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

27. - Top - End - #1167

Murgen I used your writeup for Region 13 with just a few tweaks.

Spoiler: Region 13, Dragon Spine
    Show

Show
    The region is named for the large stony peninsula running south-west. It is tall, weathered rock with strong iron-ore bands running through it. Strong winds blow up and down the Cascade Channel to its west, churning the surf as it sweeps from ocean to the Labyrinth. From a distance, this oscillating sound appears to be the roaring of a great beast.
    The non-peninsular portion of the Dragon Spine is rolling hills and hardwood forests of walnut, beech, and pecan. Smaller stretches of cherry and apple dot the landscape. The . The climate has a long growing season followed by a dry, cool winter. The Dragon Spine is well stocked with small game- rabbits, foxes, otters, grouse and pheasant. Numerous songbirds and hummingbirds compete with falcons and hawks. Domesticated chickens and goats are common. Trout spawn in the rivers in season. The area lacks larger predators such as wolf and bear, or larger herbivores like deer or bison.
    The Argent River forms the border between it and the Tillwell. It flows out into the Gray Delta. Its border with [Region 14] is formed by the Dry Run, a deep, narrow chasm that was once the path for the Argent River until some cataclysm shifted its course.

Show
    Population 701,000

The area is populated by a group of Geshem. These small folk dwell in large manors carved into the dragonspine itself, or in free-standing roundhouses amongst the woods. They have little in the way of formal government. They tend to be more secretive. Their special steel-making techniques and recipes are family heirlooms, and jealously guarded.

The Geshem of the Spine tend towards family and clan first and their neighbors second with little to no concern for any beyond their own immediate sight. These small folk are skilled miners and metallurgists and most families have a stake in some portion of the iron and coal mines that run throughout the region's hills and mountains that form the region's namesake.

Show
    Steel: MinorThe Geshem of the Spine have a comprehensive knowledge of metallurgy. They produce charcoal from the forests in specially constructed chimneys. The mud from the Gray delta is used as the tamping agent. Windmills dot the Dragon Spine itself, utilizing the constant strong winds to power furnace bellows. Combined, they allow for a superior steel not seen elsewhere. Unfortunately, family pride keeps them from combining their efforts, keeping this a Minor resource

These Geshem have a great desire for fabrics, as they lack significant cleared land to grow cotton, and wool can only go so far.

Show

The natives are largely pagan, revering their ancestors as minor spirits and deities. The people place a great emphasis on familial honor and integrity.

Spoiler: Region 15, Cape Silvia
    Show

Show
    The region's defining geographic feature, jutting out into the waters of the ocean north of its border, is taken from a local legendary hero by the name of Silvia Wowenhaun said to have been the first Geshem to cultivate the cotton plant in the region. And it is largely the legacy of cotton planting, whether in truth the work of one legendary woman or the work of generations, that marks the land. The Cape is defined by the rich black soil and many rivers running north through the region from headwaters further inland. These rivers in turn feed the cotton crops grown by the locals which are currently kept small in number and closely held by families meaning much of the land remains uncultivated.

Summers in the Cape are long, hot, and are said to sap the strength of most Geshem and the Winters, while kinder than some, are not so moderate as to make the region tropical. Spring and Autumn, planting and harvest season, are the most comfortable and foreigners and locals alike often comment on the pleasant atmosphere during these months. Rich and bountiful, the Cape filled with small and medium sized game good for providing meals to families and the locals seem content to work their farms in relative peace.

The most distinguishing feature of the Cape is the port trading town of Sigurt, nestled in the natural gulf between the Cape and [Region 14] the town is a ramshackle hodge podge of various styles and ages of structure and shows its history as a point of contention between the Geshem of the Cape and the Geshem to their south. Nonetheless, at the time of the Aeldir's colonization the port town remained in the hands of the northern Geshem and it was no doubt in no small part to pledges that it would remain so despite rising power among the Geshem of [Region 14] that helped secure the region's loyalty.

Show
    Population - 688,000

The area is populated by a group of Geshem. These small folk dwell in simple houses though the more affluent among them often seek to build grander and more impressive housing than their neighbor and this affection has led to some truly magnificent homes being built on the larger estates. Of course, from the surface of the land an outsider would be hard pressed to determine which homes were the larger and more prosperous for the Geshem of the Cape like their cousins in the Tillwell tend towards underground housing. Thus the grand manors of the Cape Geshem are in fact great labrynthian homes dug into the larger hills of the region while the less prosperous Geshem make do with homes dug into the flat lands.

The Geshem of the Cape are largely patriarchal and inheritance passes from father to son. Despite this women retain a significant amount of respect and are seen as semi-divine in comparison to their male counterparts precluding them from owning land or acting as heads of household directly but providing them a respect and reputation for honesty within their culture. It is said that while the female Geshem of the Cape may not be the head they are the neck upon which each head sits and are so turned. This view aided in their integration into the Autumnal Court with Matrons of the Fall serving as semi-divine mother guiding figures for some of the more ambitious and powerful Geshem landowners and convincing them to swear their allegiance to the Rose Throne.

Show
    Cotton: MinorThe Geshem of the Cape are learned and experienced farmers and excel at the growth and cultivation of cotton for manufacture into clothes and linens. The rich river lands of the Cape make the region ideal for cotton growth and its current low amount of export is predicated on a lower population and a lack of contact with large scale demand from the broader world for trade.

These Geshem have a great desire steel, for while their rich land is bountiful with game and crop it is lacking greatly in metal for use in the tools necessary for more efficient planting.

Show

The natives are largely pagan, revering the land and sky alongside spirits the Aeldir have not yet bothered to learn the names of. The people enjoy the rituals of their native beliefs but seem to possess little spiritual attachment to be the beliefs behind them.

Spoiler: Region 11, Tir Gwydr
    Show

Show
    This small island off the coast of Sasanand is a relatively rocky and dry blip of land amidst the ocean. Largely covered in sandy beach around its border a small rocky set of hills rises from its center and it is within these that most of the population make their home. This hilly center is known amongst the inhabitants as Dry Rock and serves as a sort of community center for the various tribes that inhabit the region.

The sand of the beaches is rich and bright and takes well to the furnaces operated by the tribes of men in the southeastern portion of Tir Gwydr for shaping and blowing into glass. The other tribes of Nanda and the small colony of Aeldir in the northern reach produce little in the way of tradable goods, focused more on hunting the limited game which they in turn trade for the man-made glass.

Show
    Population - 483,000

The natives of Tir Gwydr are an odd mix of the descendants of various shipwrecked races that have over slow amount of time come to inhabit and colonize the island. The two largest groups are the Nand inhabitants of the western coast and the men tribes of the south. A small but recently elevated portion of the inhabitants is the small colony of Aeldir in the northern tip of the small island region.

The Nanda are perhaps the most widespread, inhabiting the beaches up and down the western coast and organized into small tribal groups led by Setrapan governors and divided largely by color hue with blue skinned Nanda living separately from red skinned, and so on. The Nanda have adapted most successfully to the island life and operate semi-nomadically hunting what food there is to be caught or harvested from coconut trees and cultivating small gardens of small fruits where they can.

The human inhabitants are the most organized of the three groups and the majority live in a small town-city around which they grow small harvests of what fruits they can grow and practice their glass blowing and craftsmanship for trade with the Nanda and occasionally the Aeldir. It was within the human city along with the Aeldir support that the Matrons of the Fall made their first inroads in establishing themselves on the island.

The smallest but with recent colonization most important group of inhabitants is the Aeldir colony in the north, known as Caer Coll, and inhabited largely by Spring Aeldir boys believed to have been shipwrecked some decades back during the conflict around the Rose Throne. These Aeldir are quite different from the Spring Boys of the Courtlands, having developed a social structure without the guiding hand of a Spring Girl (from what the Matrons gathered their Girl was lost in the event that shipwrecked them) and instead these Spring Aeldir adopted a system of semi democratic election with leader determined by who could steal the greatest value of items from the Nanda and human inhabitants. For their trickery the Aeldir's colony was the least accepted among the three prior to the arrival of the Matrons although many beyond their foraging radius believed them to be only myth.

When the Autumn Court took over administration of the region they appointed the current Spring Aeldir as governor of the region while Matrons took positions as lovers and guiding mothers among the human and Nand and set up a tributary system of glass from the human colony back to the Aeldir colony and Tir Amser in exchange for the promise of providing the succulent nurture of the Marigold Rose's nature and more foodstuffs to follow.

Show
    Glass: Minor the men tribes in the south of the island have learned to create beautiful glass vases and other glassware which they have traded with the other tribes on the island for the limited meat and vegetables. With the arrival of the Aeldir and promises of food the Aeldir colony and the Nanda have both expressed an interest in joining the glass trade.

The locals have a great need for foodstuffs as the small dry island has little in the way of natural vegetation or game.

Show

The paganism of the natives is just as varied and different as the inhabitants. The Nanda largely worship the Old Gods of the Nanda while the men follow a Minority of the Grand Church of Daen and the Aeldir adhere to a rudimentary understanding of the pervasive beliefs on Tir Amser.
    Last edited by Reggiejam; 2015-10-26 at 09:09 AM.
    Thanks Gengy for the avatar!

28. - Top - End - #1168

Goblin

The Underoos have been updated

29. - Top - End - #1169

Goblin

You're trying to hard.

"Underoos".
    Yes I've officially changed them to be named Undaroos. (though before they were Undarese)
    Last edited by woolli264; 2015-10-25 at 07:15 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Titan in the Playground

Yes I've officially changed them to be named Undaroos. (though before they were Undarese)
    Why not just go the whole hog and call them underpants?

Don't do that.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)