Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1530313233343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1416
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: EMPIRE2!-CWBG-I-Begin-Again [Applications Open!]

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Why not just go the whole hog and call them underpants?

Don't do that.
    You know that's a pretty good idea I'll consider it.
    Last edited by woolli264; 2015-10-25 at 07:27 PM.
    total-cluster**** of yogurt, drugs and sheep in EMPIRE!
    The rodent tribes of the Ruby Legion in EMPIRE2!
    The goblin kingdom of Jauder in EMPIRE3!
    The sailors of Izbefe in EMPIRE4!

2. - Top - End - #1172

Goblin

Region 142 Xeria

Spoiler: Terrain
    Show
    The region used to be a jungle like the surrounding regions but now most of this vegetation is dead and decaying. The people subside on fungi and birds that sometimes pass through the region while migrating for food. The land is now pocked with mines, quarries and small clusters of stone houses with a smoking forge in the center. They use whats left of their wood as well as coal that they mine to fuel these forges.
    Spoiler: Landmark
    Show
    The tree of hope. A massive tree near the Lignummus border that is still alive and well and is almost considered sacred as a last beacon of life. It teaches that all is not lost and that if it can survive then so can the people of Xeria Once in a lifetime a resident of the region might get to taste one of the fruits of this tree.

Spoiler: People
    Show
    Once Upon A Time there was a beautiful society of Creatures. These creatures were (description of banions). The banions lived in prosperity. They had farms and orchards and went on great hunts in the woods. They feasted for days on end and no one was left out.
    Their harmony was not to last. A group of (supposedly insane) creatures who called themselves the Amahll Zage arrived. (Description of amal zaj). They were insane but efficient in achieving their goal. They quickly converted the majority of the populace to a religion believing in four dragon gods of different scale colours who created the universe. Each of these was also associated with a gem and that was the quest of the amal zaj; to find these gems. They had already located a large quantity of Sapphires but they needed more. They became the high priests and enslaved the banions. They began by clear cutting and destroying the trees then the began to mine soon they started to make steel tools out of the metals that they mined. After the first year of mining they had not found any of the gems that the amal zaj were looking for. Crossbreeding resulted in the Xerians a hybrid of the two races, they started as either red, yellow, blue or green and as they aged the red became pink, the yellow became orange, the blue became purple and the green became brown. They all became the colour of a discarded snake skin before death. They had pointed ears and gem like eyes. They grew to be about six feet tall and they had small horns like those of the amal zaj. They also had long hair of bronze or gold coloration and silver just before death.
    This race was split between worlds. They were sometimes part of the poor mining slaves and sometimes part of the religious overlords but would be a disgrace to their families either way. It soon became customary for them to leave their family and join a wandering gang. The Banions soon realized that their utopia was gone so they took up their weapons to fight. They were however weakened by their labour and enslavement and though they were more numerous they were far worse equipped. They fled north and were never heard from again.

The Amal Zaj then travelled west in their search for gems.

The Xerians were all that was left and soon gangs became villages. They returned to mining as it was the only thing they knew how to do and they grew fungi and caught small animals for food. They protect the tree of hope with their lives as it is the only tree that is not a sapling and they want it to live
    Everything they make is grey. From stone houses and statues to steel weapons and armor. It is a challenge for these people to find beauty. The few poets write of either fire, the tree of hope or the gods but mostly of fire. Great smiths and warriors they have mastered the use of long spears and shields in combat. While fighting they display great organization and strategy but elsewhere they can be rough and almost like animals in their struggles for food, water and survival.

Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    As of so far, most people believe in The Doctrine of the Nine Candles (Majority). It is also commonly speculated that their background and origin have something to do with large beasts and crystals, but as of yet none have made it into an organised religion… (pagan minority)

Spoiler: Resources
    Show
    A good resource of steel is produced here in great abundance and used in almost everything from decorations to tools to armor etc..
    They require textiles because they crave something that does not look hard and metallic like almost all of their things.
    Last edited by woolli264; 2015-10-26 at 05:40 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1173

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    Sorry guys, but I'm going to have to tap out of this. School has really ramped up these last couple of weeks, and I can't keep up the effort this game will require. I've already reclaimed the relevant glede, so this is good-bye.
    Oh well that kind of stinks. I guess you won't be able to join or federation anyways.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Troll in the Playground

Wooli I'm going to have to request a less silly name be given to Undaroos but the writeup seems alright. Xeria could use some work, I think the term "evles" is probably inappropriate given there are no elves and that doesn't really describe the race and while I can see what you're going for the whole thing seems absurdly grimdark rather than realistic.

Reggie those regions look solid.

Aedilred I wouldn't mind some more in the people section even if it was just C&Ped out of the Sasanand writeup or a little bit about slight cultural variance.

Reader sorry to see you go. Hakeber will become unclaimed land with a standing army of 2,000. If you have anyone you want to grant a claim to, do so, otherwise it will have to be invaded or a claim fabricated. Whether the Hakeber region writeup is taken as canon or not will be determined by the player who ends up in control of the region.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    I've already reclaimed the relevant glede, so this is good-bye.
    I have no idea what this means, but I'm sorry to see you go in any case.
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yo guys,

I was just brainstorming for a bit and I had a weird idea. Now before I use this weird idea in anything, I want to throw it down here to pulse reactions a bit.

The idea is simple. Lizardmen or other reptile humanoids are quite common in different settings, and we also had them in Empire I. I had the crazy idea that one of the possible means they would exist was of a union between a Prevaz and a human. As Prevaz are a live-bearing species (no eggs), that shouldn't be too far of a stretch physically, although genetically it would be a bit iffy. But would anyone be averse to me using the concept in a region's write-up?
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Ettin in the Playground

Isn't the point of non-human species is that they can't breed with humans? Thus making marriage alliances and birth-right claims impossible (Or atleast ridiculous/extrenuous)?

Your idea seems to run counter with this one.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Isn't the point of non-human species is that they can't breed with humans?
    You don't read a lot of fantasy, do you?
    INFP
    Discord: HalfTangible#7505
    I'm always available to talk (just let me know you're from the playground)

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo

Extended Sig

Current Roleplaying
    Karal Nord in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3e]
    GMing a Wyld Hunt [Exalted 3e]

9. - Top - End - #1179

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Isn't the point of non-human species is that they can't breed with humans? Thus making marriage alliances and birth-right claims impossible (Or atleast ridiculous/extrenuous)?

Your idea seems to run counter with this one.
    Saying that the point of a non-human species is being unable to breed with humans is quite the overstatement. And even if they can breed, the resulting hybrid will probably be shunned in both societies (think classical half-elf), making marriage alliances quite the strenuous affair. Not really a reason to ban it outright and limit fluff capabilities for no reason at all. Even in Empire I the thing you say wasn't a rule in the slightest sense.

I'm not saying there wouldn't be negative concequences, but to say outright that it is impossible under any circumstance and ban it seems to be quite counterproductive to me.
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2015-10-26 at 04:15 AM.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    Even in Empire I the thing you say wasn't a rule in the slightest sense.
    Actually it was. Right from the start the technical distinction in E1 between nonhuman and demihuman was that demihumans could breed with humans while nonhumans couldn't. This was part of the ultimately abortive cultural assimilation rules which never got developed or used but was still the measure used to determine population growth right until the very last round (demihumans got a d12; nonhumans got a d20). I think that's also the definition given on the wiki, for whatever that's worth.

It was all player-defined, of course, which led to some strangeness, like how the Grmanhil orcs were demihumans while the Saroc were nonhumans, or how the mawa were demihumans while all "other" types of beastfolk were, I think, nonhumans - although I'm not sure about the Sycian catgirls. But that was the principle.

I'm kind of in two minds on the whole thing. Like HT and you indicate, successful breeding between even completely incompatible biologies is a fantasy archetype to an extent, although outside the relatively high-magic confines of D&D it tends to be relatively rare and either somewhat horror-inspiring or the result of direct divine intervention. Genetically like you say it's pretty all over the place (especially since I'd have tended to think a cross-breed would share features rather than producing something else entirely - but then lizards being the product of humans breeding with snakes is a sort of Just So Story, I guess, and if the Prevaz are inspired partly by the yuan-ti as I assume they are then there's the precedent of the Abominations, albeit that's D&D again).

I do still think, as I mentioned in one of the podcasts, that the differences from humans are important to play up when it comes to nonhumans, as otherwise you're just playing reskinned humans, and interbreeding is part of that. Difficulty with international bedchamber diplomacy and direct physical assimilation seem to me to be part of the price one pays for playing something weird. Ultimately I guess it's up to the players involved, although I tend to err on the side of non-compatibility in my own preferences. (For the record, admittedly, it was my intention that the Nanda could interbreed with humans, but the result would be a human with useless and odd-looking skin patches, but then the Nanda are literally just funny-coloured humans at least to look at).

As far as the idea of the Prevaz and human union producing lizardmen, as I mention above it's certainly the sort of thing I could see existing as an in-world legend if nothing else. It is admittedly a rather Prevaz-centric concept, and not something I could see having spread too extensively in the wider world, but since I expect you have it in mind for a nearby region that doesn't matter so much. If it's something treated as factual, well, stranger things have happened in fantasy, although it would raise awkward questions if someone later creates lizardfolk who have a non-Prevaz origin. Personally it's not really for me, and not something I would do or write, I think, but that is just my opinion and not by any means intended to be the last (or penultimate) word.

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

11. - Top - End - #1181

*Snip*
    Very well then, I will not push any further and drop the plans I had.
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2015-10-26 at 06:33 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ogre in the Playground

Although my opinion isn't important to discussion of Aedilred and WaylanderX, somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    Very well then.

I am opposed to some, if not most, of your logic, especially where the Nand interbreeding with humans are concerned.

However, for the sake of mostly my own sanity, I will drop the issue and not include that bit of fluff for now. If people are so opposed to it, I see no reason to try, even if it's a small group.
    Re-reading what I wrote, my conclusions only really amounted to "I probably wouldn't do this, but it's largely a matter of opinion". So I'm not sure quite where that comes from.

I'm also not sure how it's more logical that humans and blind snakepeople can breed to create lizard-people than that funny-coloured humans can breed with humans to create slightly less funny-coloured humans... But ok.

I'm not trying to machine-gun your ideas, just provide the feedback you asked for, and you did say yourself it was a weird idea.

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

14. - Top - End - #1184

Re-reading what I wrote, my conclusions only really amounted to "I probably wouldn't do this, but it's largely a matter of opinion". So I'm not sure quite where that comes from.

I'm also not sure how it's more logical that humans and blind snakepeople can breed to create lizard-people than that funny-coloured humans can breed with humans to create slightly less funny-coloured humans... But ok.

I'm not trying to machine-gun your ideas, just provide the feedback you asked for, and you did say yourself it was a weird idea.
    It's more the other way around. It seems (to me) that the Nand are very different from humans, hence I didn't understand why my idea was so weird from your perspective.

Thank you for your feedback, but also judging from Tychris' reaction, this just isn't the time to try and do something like this. I understand that you're not shotgunning down my ideas, and I should have explained why I wanted to drop my ideas after your reaction. My apologies for this.

I do agree on the nonhuman/human breeding clause though, but what is a demihuman and what a nonhuman has been very vague. One of the reason I will drop my idea is to not dilute the border further. That said, this whole thing does make a decent F10 idea in my opinion, but I'll come back to that in a month or 5.
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2015-10-26 at 07:07 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reggiejam View Post
    Murgen I used your writeup for Region 13 with just a few tweaks.

Spoiler: Region 13, Dragon Spine
    Show

Show
    The region is named for the large stony peninsula running south-west. It is tall, weathered rock with strong iron-ore bands running through it. Strong winds blow up and down the Cascade Channel to its west, churning the surf as it sweeps from ocean to the Labyrinth. From a distance, this oscillating sound appears to be the roaring of a great beast.
    The non-peninsular portion of the Dragon Spine is rolling hills and hardwood forests of walnut, beech, and pecan. Smaller stretches of cherry and apple dot the landscape. The . The climate has a long growing season followed by a dry, cool winter. The Dragon Spine is well stocked with small game- rabbits, foxes, otters, grouse and pheasant. Numerous songbirds and hummingbirds compete with falcons and hawks. Domesticated chickens and goats are common. Trout spawn in the rivers in season. The area lacks larger predators such as wolf and bear, or larger herbivores like deer or bison.
    The Argent River forms the border between it and the Tillwell. It flows out into the Gray Delta. Its border with [Region 14] is formed by the Dry Run, a deep, narrow chasm that was once the path for the Argent River until some cataclysm shifted its course.

Show
    Population 701,000

The area is populated by a group of Geshem. These small folk dwell in large manors carved into the dragonspine itself, or in free-standing roundhouses amongst the woods. They have little in the way of formal government. They tend to be more secretive. Their special steel-making techniques and recipes are family heirlooms, and jealously guarded.

The Geshem of the Spine tend towards family and clan first and their neighbors second with little to no concern for any beyond their own immediate sight. These small folk are skilled miners and metallurgists and most families have a stake in some portion of the iron and coal mines that run throughout the region's hills and mountains that form the region's namesake.

Show
    Steel: MinorThe Geshem of the Spine have a comprehensive knowledge of metallurgy. They produce charcoal from the forests in specially constructed chimneys. The mud from the Gray delta is used as the tamping agent. Windmills dot the Dragon Spine itself, utilizing the constant strong winds to power furnace bellows. Combined, they allow for a superior steel not seen elsewhere. Unfortunately, family pride keeps them from combining their efforts, keeping this a Minor resource

These Geshem have a great desire for fabrics, as they lack significant cleared land to grow cotton, and wool can only go so far.

Show

The natives are largely pagan, revering their ancestors as minor spirits and deities. The people place a great emphasis on familial honor and integrity.

Spoiler: Region 15, Cape Silvia
    Show

Show
    The region's defining geographic feature, jutting out into the waters of the ocean north of its border, is taken from a local legendary hero by the name of Silvia Wowenhaun said to have been the first Geshem to cultivate the cotton plant in the region. And it is largely the legacy of cotton planting, whether in truth the work of one legendary woman or the work of generations, that marks the land. The Cape is defined by the rich black soil and many rivers running north through the region from headwaters further inland. These rivers in turn feed the cotton crops grown by the locals which are currently kept small in number and closely held by families meaning much of the land remains uncultivated.

Summers in the Cape are long, hot, and are said to sap the strength of most Geshem and the Winters, while kinder than some, are not so moderate as to make the region tropical. Spring and Autumn, planting and harvest season, are the most comfortable and foreigners and locals alike often comment on the pleasant atmosphere during these months. Rich and bountiful, the Cape filled with small and medium sized game good for providing meals to families and the locals seem content to work their farms in relative peace.

The most distinguishing feature of the Cape is the port trading town of Sigurt, nestled in the natural gulf between the Cape and [Region 14] the town is a ramshackle hodge podge of various styles and ages of structure and shows its history as a point of contention between the Geshem of the Cape and the Geshem to their south. Nonetheless, at the time of the Aeldir's colonization the port town remained in the hands of the northern Geshem and it was no doubt in no small part to pledges that it would remain so despite rising power among the Geshem of [Region 14] that helped secure the region's loyalty.

Show
    Population - 688,000

The area is populated by a group of Geshem. These small folk dwell in simple houses though the more affluent among them often seek to build grander and more impressive housing than their neighbor and this affection has led to some truly magnificent homes being built on the larger estates.

The Geshem of the Cape are largely patriarchal and inheritance passes from father to son. Despite this women retain a significant amount of respect and are seen as semi-divine in comparison to their male counterparts precluding them from owning land or acting as heads of household directly but providing them a respect and reputation for honesty within their culture. It is said that while the female Geshem of the Cape may not be the head they are the neck upon which each head sits and are so turned. This view aided in their integration into the Autumnal Court with Matrons of the Fall serving as semi-divine mother guiding figures for some of the more ambitious and powerful Geshem landowners and convincing them to swear their allegiance to the Rose Throne.

Show
    Cotton: MinorThe Geshem of the Cape are learned and experienced farmers and excel at the growth and cultivation of cotton for manufacture into clothes and linens. The rich river lands of the Cape make the region ideal for cotton growth and its current low amount of export is predicated on a lower population and a lack of contact with large scale demand from the broader world for trade.

These Geshem have a great desire steel, for while their rich land is bountiful with game and crop it is lacking greatly in metal for use in the tools necessary for more efficient planting.

Show

The natives are largely pagan, revering the land and sky alongside spirits the Aeldir have not yet bothered to learn the names of. The people enjoy the rituals of their native beliefs but seem to possess little spiritual attachment to be the beliefs behind them.

Spoiler: Region 11, Tir Gwydr
    Show

Show
    This small island off the coast of Sasanand is a relatively rocky and dry blip of land amidst the ocean. Largely covered in sandy beach around its border a small rocky set of hills rises from its center and it is within these that most of the population make their home. This hilly center is known amongst the inhabitants as Dry Rock and serves as a sort of community center for the various tribes that inhabit the region.

The sand of the beaches is rich and bright and takes well to the furnaces operated by the tribes of men in the southeastern portion of Tir Gwydr for shaping and blowing into glass. The other tribes of Nanda and the small colony of Aeldir in the northern reach produce little in the way of tradable goods, focused more on hunting the limited game which they in turn trade for the man-made glass.

Show
    Population - 483,000

The natives of Tir Gwydr are an odd mix of the descendants of various shipwrecked races that have over slow amount of time come to inhabit and colonize the island. The two largest groups are the Nand inhabitants of the western coast and the men tribes of the south. A small but recently elevated portion of the inhabitants is the small colony of Aeldir in the northern tip of the small island region.

The Nanda are perhaps the most widespread, inhabiting the beaches up and down the western coast and organized into small tribal groups led by Setrapan governors and divided largely by color hue with blue skinned Nanda living separately from red skinned, and so on. The Nanda have adapted most successfully to the island life and operate semi-nomadically hunting what food there is to be caught or harvested from coconut trees and cultivating small gardens of small fruits where they can.

The human inhabitants are the most organized of the three groups and the majority live in a small town-city around which they grow small harvests of what fruits they can grow and practice their glass blowing and craftsmanship for trade with the Nanda and occasionally the Aeldir. It was within the human city along with the Aeldir support that the Matrons of the Fall made their first inroads in establishing themselves on the island.

The smallest but with recent colonization most important group of inhabitants is the Aeldir colony in the north, known as Caer Coll, and inhabited largely by Spring Aeldir boys believed to have been shipwrecked some decades back during the conflict around the Rose Throne. These Aeldir are quite different from the Spring Boys of the Courtlands, having developed a social structure without the guiding hand of a Spring Girl (from what the Matrons gathered their Girl was lost in the event that shipwrecked them) and instead these Spring Aeldir adopted a system of semi democratic election with leader determined by who could steal the greatest value of items from the Nanda and human inhabitants. For their trickery the Aeldir's colony was the least accepted among the three prior to the arrival of the Matrons although many beyond their foraging radius believed them to be only myth.

When the Autumn Court took over administration of the region they appointed the current Spring Aeldir as governor of the region while Matrons took positions as lovers and guiding mothers among the human and Nand and set up a tributary system of glass from the human colony back to the Aeldir colony and Tir Amser in exchange for the promise of providing the succulent nurture of the Marigold Rose's nature and more foodstuffs to follow.

Show
    Glass: Minor the men tribes in the south of the island have learned to create beautiful glass vases and other glassware which they have traded with the other tribes on the island for the limited meat and vegetables. With the arrival of the Aeldir and promises of food the Aeldir colony and the Nanda have both expressed an interest in joining the glass trade.

The locals have a great need for foodstuffs as the small dry island has little in the way of natural vegetation or game.

Show

The paganism of the natives is just as varied and different as the inhabitants. The Nanda largely worship the Old Gods of the Nanda while the men follow a Minority of the Grand Church of Daen and the Aeldir adhere to a rudimentary understanding of the pervasive beliefs on Tir Amser.
    No problem with 13, and thanks for populating 15 with Geshem as well.

One note, I would like to keep Geshem buildings to one story above ground, with many below. So big, sprawling buildings are appropriate, but not tall ones. This implies that those that can build into hills tend to be wealthier than flat-landers. And along the coasts, cliffside dwellings would be for the wealthy.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

16. - Top - End - #1186

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    No problem with 13, and thanks for populating 15 with Geshem as well.

One note, I would like to keep Geshem buildings to one story above ground, with many below. So big, sprawling buildings are appropriate, but not tall ones. This implies that those that can build into hills tend to be wealthier than flat-landers. And along the coasts, cliffside dwellings would be for the wealthy.
    I figure the whole jut of land from 17 north is Geshem populated and possibly down into 20 and along the coast. I figured that made more sense and it was more interesting to see Gesehm adopted as just as "vanilla" as humans for regions around the Tillwell.

I like the concept of deep manors. I'll edit my post to incorporate that.

Also looking forward to seeing how our upcoming war goes!
    Thanks Gengy for the avatar!

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ogre in the Playground

As racial creator of the Geshem, I can see how you'd like consistency of dwellings. However, I disagree that all regions that include the same race should have the same base-type of dwelling. Using the Gesh as examples, it is possible that in your primary region, higher buildings would belong to wealthier citizens. In a completely different region, however, taller buildings may be not just a cultural thing, but a necessity. If there were, say, monstrously large and dangerous creatures that roamed at night on the ground, building homes with height would become the only way to stay alive. If a visitor from Geshemafar came to this region - regardless of race living there - and didn't know about the monsters, they would see the tall houses, and perhaps - perhaps - assume that everyone here is wealthy.

Using IRL as an example: humans in the United States often have a great deal of space to live in, even in 'small' apartments. We've got different needs and requirements, based on our cultural development, then say (and no, not picking on Kasa) Japan. I'm no expert on Japanese culture, but what I do know is that Japanese cities are packed full of people, and small apartments are really small. There are some similarities, but a tourist from either culture will be amused or perplexed by the differences. As another example, a visitor from the United States would find most Japanese toilets to be unusual. Functional? Yes. But... completely strange, when you encounter it for the first time.

Could the Geshem - as a race - lean towards the type of dwellings you are requesting? Yes. Certainly. Do I think that your request is unreasonable? Absolutely not. You're crafting a set of people, with their own cultural building blocks. There should be similarities between the Gesh in different regions... but sometimes, there will be differences. It's up to Reggie (and/or the person whom claims the region with Geshem) to decide certain aspects of those regions. Where are the differences? Why are they different? What would the Geshem of this region find strange about the Geshem of that region?

Note: Murgen is an old hat at Empire. This discussion is less about me disagreeing with his point, and more about me trying to help establish information for new players: You aren't locked into pre-conceived notions about existing races, if you want to borrow them for a different region. Though it is polite to ask before using someone's race, especially if they are far far away from any other examples of that race, and/or you're making deep cultural changes (for instance: naked barbarian raging Geshem nomads).
    Last edited by Gengy; 2015-10-26 at 09:09 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got my Master's Degree for games (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

18. - Top - End - #1188

I agree with Gengy, I just liked the idea! But yeah, OOC propriety on races isn't really something I support in a world-building game but creators certainly should be able to voice their input on things, just don't expect it to be taken as factual though you may find the adopter receptive (as in this case) Murgen and I have a history of communally working on things from E1 and I appreciate his suggestion which was not at odds with anything I particularly had planned/thought out but yeah, world building goes all ways and once you put in on the canvas it's there for anyone to use (IMO) The only real exception being someone's direct characters and even those can be handed off (I collected a nice team of one-off cool character rejects from all different nations to form a vampire coven with in E1)

EDIT: As with Gengy's not directed at anyone but just an old-hat veteran rambling in a hopefully educational manner for the new folk.
    Last edited by Reggiejam; 2015-10-26 at 09:04 AM.
    Thanks Gengy for the avatar!

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey y'all, just a PSA: My internet on my main computer decided to Crap out completely this morning, so I'm not available on Skype until further notice.
    Spoiler
    Show

Normal Avatar by Thormag!

Earthbound Immortal Uru avatar by Strawberries

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reggiejam View Post
    I agree with Gengy, I just liked the idea! But yeah, OOC propriety on races isn't really something I support in a world-building game ...

EDIT: As with Gengy's not directed at anyone but just an old-hat veteran rambling in a hopefully educational manner for the new folk.
    Thirded. I take no offense to productive discussion. Certainly anyone adopting Gesh / Geshem for their lands are welcome to them. And they could be widely different than the Tillwell Geshem. I was merely explaining the race as I saw it- hobbit/gnome like predisposition to building underground, at least in part. Call it 'obscure cultural reasons'.

Did I just get the first 'obscure cultural reasons' of the game?
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Did I just get the first 'obscure cultural reasons' of the game?
    That should be a CI.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Ye can hardly compare 'i didn't realize I had to deploy troops' to 'let's assassinate the enemy leader! That'll improve relations!'

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi guys! We have another Empire Podcast installment for you, hope you enjoy!

Also if anyone has anything about the game or rules they would like to hear being discussed, please let us know!
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2015-10-26 at 11:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post
    That should be a CI.
    CI: "Obscure Cultural Reasons"
    (Aeldir version)
    Roll an increased Die Size when Conquering a region that you have called dibs on, even if someone else is closer, and would be better suited to having that region.

Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got my Master's Degree for games (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Ettin in the Playground

I need to sleep so this is a work in progress, so as such only the people section has been finished.

Vestul Melrakk
    Region 239

Show
    Tropical and much more mountainous than the adjacent region.

Show
    The people of Vestul Melrakk, or Western Melrakki-ey if you prefer, are more or less the same as the Melrakki on the other end of the island. They are bipedal, humanoid foxes that like the Eastern Melrakk have predominantly white to light tan fur, though many have faint red markings on their backs and upper arms. Grey or silver colourations are extremely rare and children who possess these colours are usually sent to the city of Idra on the Northern coast to study under the Elders there.

Like their Eastern neighbours, the peoples of Western Melrakki-ey are organised into tribes based on common ancestry. They too had a somewhat violent past which was finally brought to a close roughly two centuries ago when a ship carrying a travelling preacher of the Nine Candles was wrecked on the North coast. This preacher, a woman known only as Idra dedicated her life to ending the conflict between the disparate tribes and to this day is revered as the saviour of their people.

Spoiler: Resource
    Show
    Something something rubies something something.

Spoiler: Faith
    Show
    Shamanism/Nine Candles hybrid
    Last edited by Elemental; 2015-10-26 at 12:18 PM.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

25. - Top - End - #1195

Goblin

Region 146 Stagnummus

Show
    In the very northernmost points the Lignummese jungle seeps across the border but it quickly becomes a forest of conifers before stretching out into the great plains. The forest is where the giant spiders moved after the Lignummese drove them back and so the forest is generally avoided by the simple people of Stagnummus.

Show
    The great lake (festival). Once a year, when the fishing is done all of the Stagnummese put on their brightest clothes and head to the lake. They swim and show off their kites and art and they all celebrate. They raise tents and have friendly tribe versus tribe competitions.

Show
    The people of Stagnummus are roughly two feet tall and covered in brown fur. They have very small triangular ears and slightly webbed feet. Their eyes are round and black and their snouts are more defined than those of their Lignummese cousins. They used to live entirely in the water but have recently started to live on land in round huts made of branches and mud. These huts are quite strong and help to keep out the predatory giant spiders that inhabit the land. The huts, though drab on the outside, are brightly decorated and filled with art and tools.
    The Stagnummese love bright colors and wear cloaks and capes and smooth baggy clothes all dyed in bright reds, yellows, blues and greens. They also enjoy painting in a simple but vivid style.
    Spoiler: Example
    Show
    They also construct fly brightly colored kites for fun.
    They are mainly divided into two factions. That of the south makes clothes and kites and grow dyes and vegetables. The tribe to the north builds houses and fishes in the great lake.
    Because of their religion each man and woman of each tribe has a different job that was taught to them by their mother or father since they were born.
    The men of the north build and maintain houses to keep the people safe from the spiders.
    The women of the north fish for food and bones which are used in art and for sewing.
    The men of the south grow gardens of small plants like potatoes, carrots, various flowers for dyes and tobacco.
    The women of the south make kites and clothings and dye them bright colours with the dyes of their male counterparts.

Show
    The Stagnummese believe that they were created by four magical creatures of the sky. They believe that to each corresponds a color. Red created the women of the north and the fish in the lake and all the water that exists. Blue created the men of the north and the first home and all the mud and trees to make them. Green created the men of the south and grew the first garden. Green created all plants in the south to feed and clothe the Stagnummese. Finally Yellow made the women of the south and all things of the air including the snow that comes for several months of the year and the kites that the women of the south create.

Show

a minor resource of Dyes is harvested alongside the vegetables that feed the country. They take the form of small flowers and small leafy plants. The Stagnumese gather the harvested flowers and leaves of the desired color and boil them in water then leave the water overnight. The next morning they have beautifully colored dyes that they can mix with a paste to make paint or pour onto cloth to color them.
    They need wood as it is essential for building their homes but they do not dare venture far into the forest for fear of the giant spiders.

Also I edited my Xeria post. If you do not like the concept then I can change it but Dimple and Zayuz and I kind of wanted it to be.
    Last edited by woolli264; 2015-10-26 at 05:55 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Ogre in the Playground

Region 49 submission for approval

Spoiler: Region Banner
    Show

Spoiler: Summary
    Show

Region name: Wysteria
    Number: 49
    Population: 667,000 Humans
    Resources: Silver (Minor)
    Wanted resource: Food
    Religion: Unorganized Fates Worship (majority)

Spoiler: People and Society
    Show

The humans of Wysteria are deeply in tune with the land, who's devout faith in the Moirai have shaped their culture in that they are a people of modest means, who's energy is put towards harvesting the land and in worship during the several grand rituals throughout the year. Like their clansmen of Ambrose, the tribes of Wysteria are of tanned skin and dark hair, but instead of decorating their bodies in swirling clan tattoos, they decorate their bodies with tattoos meant to represent fate and nature. Both men and women are welcome to join the priesthood, and after a general training period, may choose which sister of fate to devote themselves to.
    Clan 1. Lillis
    Spoiler: Lillis Crest
    Show

The Lillis clan is one of two remaining clan powers in Wysteria, which have largely become homogenized into a single population unit. Slight differences in the two clans can be seen by the Lillis' leanings towards the priesthood and wise-women who collect marsh plants for medicinal purposes, and treat the population's physical and spiritual ailments with an equal amount of herbcraft and ritual "magic". The figurehead of Port Shademire hails from the Lillis clan, but this position is largely cosmetic, as the decisions regarding the region is decided by an inclusive council made up of Priests, Miners, Fishermen and Wise-Women and is largely informal.

Clan 2. Milonas
    Spoiler: Milonas Crest
    Show

While Clan Lillis leans towards the spiritual, Clan Milonas leans towards the hard physical work of mining, military, and the fishing that fulfills much of the region's protein requirement. Even with their focus on the mundane, mining camps still employ a priest or priestess to run rituals and attend to the campers spiritual needs. The miners are expected to make time for worship, and do so with group rituals and solitary meditation without complaint. As the conditions in the camps are rugged and often unsanitary, the Milonas see the Union under Ambrose to be an opportunity to improve working conditions and the lifestyle of the miners.

Show
    The coast on the Shining Straight, as it's known to the clans of Wysteria, is a wet marshland. The largest organized settlement is on the straight, named Port Shademire for the coastal deciduous trees that grow plentifully, though are stunted by the salt marsh water. Purple flowering vines rapidly grow and cover these trees in the spring, and their lovely dripping blooms are known throughout the region for their beauty. Port Shademire is built at the safest easternmost point on the straight for large ships to travel to without getting stuck in the muck, though small rafts and personal crafts are often employed for travel beyond the port. The Port City and other marsh settlements are all built on platforms above ground level to mitigate flood damage and to account for the tides of the salt marsh. The wetlands extend into the interior, giving way to rocky, shallow canyons in the west. this land is known as the Schismada, and it is in these canyons that the rich silver veins of the area are mined. Small and modest mining settlements that began as temporary labor camps dot the area. Camp Asimi is the largest, and is the closest to Port Shademire.

Spoiler: Resource and Resource Req
    Show
    The rich veins of silver mined at the many modest mining settlements provides the regions largest and most lucrative export. These camps, while lacking in what some might consider basic ammenities, are strictly run and organized by Mine Overseers and Master Smiths, and provide the region's most lucrative jobs. Many miners work tirelessly for years in the hopes of attaining a managment or smithing position, which are all hotly vied for in the occasion that an opening arises. Wysterians require food that does not come from the sea, as they are lacking in agricultural lands and fresh produce.

Show
    Wysterians devoutly worship the Moirai, the three sisters who control the fates of all mortals. Three temples have been built in the region, each one dedicated in honor of one of the sisters. Zoi, giver of life and master over who gets born and reborn at any given time. Efkairia, she who deals your lot in life, be it good or ill. Lastly, Therastis, she who reaps your soul upon death. The sisters are a traditional maiden/mother/crone trinity associated with the phases of the moon.
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2015-10-26 at 05:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PepperP. View Post

Also if anyone has anything about the game or rules they would like to hear being discussed, please let us know!
    Thanks for recording these! Sorry to everyone for sounding half asleep haha, I'll try to be more up on the next one which should have some fun segments! (If you have any ideas for segments feel free to suggest them here!)

Wooli Stagnummus is approved and Xeria is definitely imnproved and looks better but it seems very strange that the Zaj and the Bannions could interbreed since that would suggest a common ancestry which given their appearance seems unlikely. IT could just be Bannion type people who were a temporary slave race to the Zaj and so now share some of their culture but are still one species.

Pepper Wysteria looks good and is approved.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

28. - Top - End - #1198

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Thanks for recording these! Sorry to everyone for sounding half asleep haha, I'll try to be more up on the next one which should have some fun segments! (If you have any ideas for segments feel free to suggest them here!)

Wooli Stagnummus is approved and Xeria is definitely imnproved and looks better but it seems very strange that the Zaj and the Bannions could interbreed since that would suggest a common ancestry which given their appearance seems unlikely. IT could just be Bannion type people who were a temporary slave race to the Zaj and so now share some of their culture but are still one species.

Pepper Wysteria looks good and is approved.
    Sure sounds good!

Region 142 Xeria

Show
    The region used to be a jungle like the surrounding regions but now most of this vegetation is dead and decaying. The people subside on fungi and birds that sometimes pass through the region while migrating for food. The land is now pocked with mines, quarries and small clusters of stone houses with a smoking forge in the center. They use whats left of their wood as well as coal that they mine to fuel these forges.
    Show
    The tree of hope. A massive tree near the Lignummus border that is still alive and well and is almost considered sacred as a last beacon of life. It teaches that all is not lost and that if it can survive then so can the people of Xeria Once in a lifetime a resident of the region might get to taste one of the fruits of this tree.

Show
    Once Upon A Time there was a beautiful society of Creatures. These creatures were tall pointed ear creatures whose skin colour started as one colour of the rainbow from and changed to another and then to white until they died. They were called banions. The banions lived in prosperity. They had farms and orchards and went on great hunts in the woods. They feasted for days on end and no one was left out.
    Their harmony was not to last. A group of (supposedly insane) creatures who called themselves the Amal Zaj arrived. They were insane but efficient in achieving their goal. They quickly converted the majority of the populace to a religion believing in four dragon gods of different scale colours who created the universe. Each of these was also associated with a gem and that was the quest of the amal zaj; to find these gems. They had already located a large quantity of Sapphires but they needed more. They became the high priests and enslaved the banions. They began by clear cutting and destroying the trees then the began to mine soon they started to make steel tools out of the metals that they mined. After the first year of mining they had not found any of the gems that the amal zaj were looking for. The Amal Zaj killed off all who were not of a colour of one of the gods resulting in the Xerians, a "hybrid" of the two races. They started as either red, yellow, blue or green and as they aged the red became pink, the yellow became orange, the blue became purple and the green became brown. They all became the colour of a discarded snake skin before death. They had pointed ears and gem like eyes like the original ones did.
    This race was in a bad spot. They were poor mining slaves because of their new religious overlords. It soon became the norm for the youth to leave their family and join a wandering gang. The remaining original Banions soon realized that their utopia was gone so they took up their weapons to fight. They were however weakened by their labour and enslavement and though they were more numerous they were far worse equipped. Most fled north and were never heard from again.

The Amal Zaj then traveled west in their search for gems.

The Xerians were all that was left and soon gangs became villages. They returned to mining as it was the only thing they knew how to do and they grew fungi and caught small animals for food. They protect the tree of hope with their lives as it is the only tree that is not a sapling and they want it to live
    Everything they make is grey. From stone houses and statues to steel weapons and armor. It is a challenge for these people to find beauty. The few poets write of either fire, the tree of hope or the gods but mostly of fire. Great smiths and warriors they have mastered the use of long spears and shields in combat. While fighting they display great organization and strategy but elsewhere they can be rough and almost like animals in their struggles for food, water and survival.

Show
    As of so far, most people believe in The Doctrine of the Nine Candles (Majority). It is also commonly speculated that their background and origin have something to do with large beasts and crystals, but as of yet none have made it into an organised religion… (pagan minority)

Show
    A good resource of steel is produced here in great abundance and used in almost everything from decorations to tools to armor etc..
    They require textiles because they crave something that does not look hard and metallic like almost all of their things.
    Last edited by woolli264; 2015-10-27 at 05:58 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PepperP. View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding adopting a new religion without doing anything with it...

I'm reminded of a quote from Bane: "Whereas you adopted the darkness, I was born into it."

Just pretend Bane started a religion and Batman joined it later, okay?

If your culture adopts a religious practice, then in all likelihood there was already a big push in your culture for it to begin with. The DoF took over the Ash-Kingdom because we had sent missionaries there several years before, and had laid the seeds for the people to accept the Doctrine. With the rules in E2 regarding how quickly a religion you establish spreads through the lands you own, then you probably were already heading in that direction.

The short of that is that if you suddenly take on a new religion, it should be something that's already baked into your culture and easy to implement as such. If Primus adopted a faith, for example, it would probably glorify honor, blood and combat. The Aeldir courts might adopt something related to flowers, or directly worship the lords and ladies of the courts. Fantastigoria could turn their love of masks into a religious faith, etc etc.
    INFP
    Discord: HalfTangible#7505
    I'm always available to talk (just let me know you're from the playground)

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo

Extended Sig

Current Roleplaying
    Karal Nord in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3e]
    GMing a Wyld Hunt [Exalted 3e]

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding adopting a new religion without doing anything with it...

I'm reminded of a quote from Bane: "Whereas you adopted the darkness, I was born into it."

Just pretend Bane started a religion and Batman joined it later, okay?

If your culture adopts a religious practice, then in all likelihood there was already a big push in your culture for it to begin with. The DoF took over the Ash-Kingdom because we had sent missionaries there several years before, and had laid the seeds for the people to accept the Doctrine. With the rules in E2 regarding how quickly a religion you establish spreads through the lands you own, then you probably were already heading in that direction.

The short of that is that if you suddenly take on a new religion, it should be something that's already baked into your culture and easy to implement as such. If Primus adopted a faith, for example, it would probably glorify honor, blood and combat. The Aeldir courts might adopt something related to flowers, or directly worship the lords and ladies of the courts. Fantastigoria could turn their love of masks into a religious faith, etc etc.
    You din't mention my giant tree... The suggestion for the other Aeldir is amazing. We'll end up in a war over who can be more druid-y.
    ()
    Last edited by moossabi; 2015-10-26 at 08:13 PM.
    Ye can hardly compare 'i didn't realize I had to deploy troops' to 'let's assassinate the enemy leader! That'll improve relations!'