New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1833343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1416
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE2!-CWBG-I-Begin-Again [Applications Open!]

Quote Originally Posted by DoomHat View Post
    You're a step ahead of a lot of new players, checking in on the current state of affairs, but I have to warn you that you leave yourself no room for expansion, in the middle of hotly contested territory. By which I mean it'll be hard to justify you not becoming a battle ground almost immediately.

I'd recommend something close to a blacked out zone. So that you can expand into the void with limited risk of having to fight for survival sooner rather then later.
    I second that, as I am using the war in 14 to drain the military from 16 so I can invade it next round.

Oops., did I say that out loud?
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: Stormland Holdings
    Show
    The Stormland Holdings are a coalition of smaller city-states, remnants of an ancient kingdom, fractured by some long-forgotten conflict. They are currently arranged in a so-called "Coalition for Peace," in which each of the Holdings is nominally equal, but truly under the control of the largest, Tarmeria. In recent years, following a bloody, expansionist campaign under King Friedhold Arabeal, known as the Six Realms War, King Geoffrey Arabeal led the Tarmerak (the people of Tarmeria) to expand their influence by brokering "peace treaties" with each of their neighboring city-states. These traits typically amounted to little more than "I've proven that our army could crush yours, but I care about my legacy am a nice guy, so I'll let you keep your throne, officially, but only as a puppet ruler."
    Once each of their more powerful neighbors had been "pacified" in this manner, Tarmeria and the other two major city-states formed the Coalition for Peace, which truly serves as a propagandistic front for the quickly-forming Tarmerian Empire. While the Coalition ostensibly grants the smaller holdings a say in the events of the area, the ruling family of Tarmeria controls the majority of the Coalition members, and can force approval of any motion they want to by the Coalition.
    Now that Tarmeria is secure in its control over the other Stormland Holdings, an aging King Geoffrey, is reluctant to hand power over to his hotheaded young son, Devon. The younger Arabeal is determinedly expansionist, in contrast to his father and his father's political advisors. It is rumored that, if Devon were to marry and have children, his father would have him assassinated and then resign to the position of regent.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    Current Live Game: Defenders of Stormfast, "A Brave New World of Adventure" Obsidian Portal
    Current PbP Game: 5th Edition low-level game IC OOC Tracker Map
    Current PbP Game: I6 - Ravenloft IC OOC

Full Signature
    I often post from mobile, so feel free to correct any typos.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jkat718 View Post
    Spoiler: Stormland Holdings
    Show
    The Stormland Holdings are a coalition of smaller city-states, remnants of an ancient kingdom, fractured by some long-forgotten conflict. They are currently arranged in a so-called "Coalition for Peace," in which each of the Holdings is nominally equal, but truly under the control of the largest, Tarmeria. In recent years, following a bloody, expansionist campaign under King Friedhold Arabeal, known as the Six Realms War, King Geoffrey Arabeal led the Tarmerak (the people of Tarmeria) to expand their influence by brokering "peace treaties" with each of their neighboring city-states. These traits typically amounted to little more than "I've proven that our army could crush yours, but I care about my legacy am a nice guy, so I'll let you keep your throne, officially, but only as a puppet ruler."
    Once each of their more powerful neighbors had been "pacified" in this manner, Tarmeria and the other two major city-states formed the Coalition for Peace, which truly serves as a propagandistic front for the quickly-forming Tarmerian Empire. While the Coalition ostensibly grants the smaller holdings a say in the events of the area, the ruling family of Tarmeria controls the majority of the Coalition members, and can force approval of any motion they want to by the Coalition.
    Now that Tarmeria is secure in its control over the other Stormland Holdings, an aging King Geoffrey, is reluctant to hand power over to his hotheaded young son, Devon. The younger Arabeal is determinedly expansionist, in contrast to his father and his father's political advisors. It is rumored that, if Devon were to marry and have children, his father would have him assassinated and then resign to the position of regent.
    Looks like a good start!
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think you're hitting the Game of Thrones metaphor a little too hard on the head. If I'm even using that correctly...

Other than that, seems like a cool basis. I'm actually in a sinkhole next-door, I look forward to inevitably steamrolling you to assault Daen living in peace and harmony.

5. - Top - End - #1265

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post
    I think you're hitting the Game of Thrones metaphor a little too hard on the head. If I'm even using that correctly...
    I swear I didn't realize the connection when I first wrote that.

Other than that, seems like a cool basis. I'm actually in a sinkhole next-door, I look forward to inevitably steamrolling you to assault Daen living in peace and harmony.
    I welcome all diplomatic solutions.
    Show
    Current Live Game: Defenders of Stormfast, "A Brave New World of Adventure" Obsidian Portal

Full Signature

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I welcome all diplomatic solutions.
    How dare you reference the prequels! Actually, someone did that back in E1, so it's permitted.

Seriously though, I'd definitely be open to diplomatic stuff. It's mandatory for every new player to be sarcastically threatened with total domination by their next-door neighbors.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Ogre in the Playground

Very true. Which is why...

More seriously though, welcome. Looking forward to your more complete write-up. You'll want to say hello to Murgen and Mary_Sue, as they are nearby you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post
    Very true. Which is why...

More seriously though, welcome. Looking forward to your more complete write-up. You'll want to say hello to Murgen and Mary_Sue, as they are nearby you.
    Speaking of which...

Mary, you haven't rolled for exploration. You may want to do that before the round ends.

EDIT: Never mind, didn't check the rolls thread. Just link it in the action.
    Last edited by moossabi; 2015-10-29 at 12:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Ettin in the Playground

Still, as a player, it bothers me a bit that no one has, well... tried. (Fantastigoria being an exception.) Especially with a few of you sponsoring Spring Girls, and thus having a (month or two long delayed) direct line to Lady Spring, who has demonstrated a willingness to discuss the matter.
    About the whole sponsoring a Spring Girl thing... I should probably confess that I took Cynffoni on as a potential hostage should the Aeldir cause trouble in the future. Now, before you cry diplomatic immunity, first, that's not really a thing yet as Tir Amser has no such treaty with Anceris regarding it and you didn't say she was an envoy or ambassador of the ruler of Tir Amser. Currently, the situation is that Alessandra is under the impression that Lady Spring's guardian entered her into an unwritten contract with the Grand Princess wherein Lady Spring, a private individual, arranged for a friend/relative of hers to be adopted as a Ward of Pearl Throne, as is customary for nobles who cannot adequately provide for their relations, with Alessandra receiving all the rights, privileges and responsibilities that come from it. If Kellianth ever comes to Anceris they can properly formalise the relationship.

I beg your pardon? That's a pretty sudden attitude shift.
    I just looked up patronage on Dictionary.com and I think Dark used the right word going by definitions three, five and six.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    About the whole sponsoring a Spring Girl thing... I should probably confess that I took Cynffoni on as a potential hostage should the Aeldir cause trouble in the future. Now, before you cry diplomatic immunity, first, that's not really a thing yet as Tir Amser has no such treaty with Anceris regarding it and you didn't say she was an envoy or ambassador of the ruler of Tir Amser. Currently, the situation is that Alessandra is under the impression that Lady Spring's guardian entered her into an unwritten contract with the Grand Princess wherein Lady Spring, a private individual, arranged for a friend/relative of hers to be adopted as a Ward of Pearl Throne, as is customary for nobles who cannot adequately provide for their relations, with Alessandra receiving all the rights, privileges and responsibilities that come from it. If Kellianth ever comes to Anceris they can properly formalise the relationship.

I just looked up patronage on Dictionary.com and I think Dark used the right word going by definitions three, five and six.
    Roethye let Aeluta come along so she could learn as much as possible about the Courts and see if they'd be a threat to her heirs in the future. A threat to Primus in particular is unlikely, given the distance, but they could act by proxy. Using her as a hostage is pretty pointless, since the courts probably wouldn't send anyone across the world if they couldn't afford to go without them, and taking a child hostage is basically telling the world you're the bad guy
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2015-10-29 at 12:05 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Roethye let Aeluta come along so she could learn as much as possible about the Courts and see if they'd be a threat to her heirs in the future. A threat to Primus in particular is unlikely, given the distance, but they could act by proxy. Using her as a hostage is pretty pointless, since the courts probably wouldn't send anyone across the world if they couldn't afford to go without them, and taking a child hostage is basically telling the world you're the bad guy
    Given the past actions of certain Aeldir, I've no doubt they'll eventually do something terrible enough to warrant locking up a Spring Girl and holding her to ransom.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

12. - Top - End - #1272

'Ambassador', 'Hostage', and 'Young Ward of the Crown' are all synonyms in a medieval world anyway. Any civilized people would see this as something of a boon, or just business as usual, though it remains to be seen if the Aeldir are a civilized people.
    ...with a vengeance!

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Ettin in the Playground

'Ambassador', 'Hostage', and 'Young Ward of the Crown' are all synonyms in a medieval world anyway. Any civilized people would see this as something of a boon, or just business as usual, though it remains to be seen if the Aeldir are a civilized people.
    You are of course correct, but it shall continue to be the official Ancerin opinion that Cynffoni is a Ward of the Pearl Throne and not a hostage. Until such time as the Aeldir do something inexcusable to Anceris or its friends at which point the guardianship contract shall be torn up and she will become a prisoner of the Pearl Throne.

Edit: I assume of course that Gengy was aware this was a possibility when he decided to send out Spring Girls to a whole bunch of different places.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2015-10-29 at 12:29 PM.

Dragons!

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Ogre in the Playground

You are of course correct, but it shall continue to be the official Ancerin opinion that Cynffoni is a Ward of the Pearl Throne and not a hostage. Until such time as the Aeldir do something inexcusable to Anceris or its friends at which point the guardianship contract shall be torn up and she will become a prisoner of the Pearl Throne.

Edit: I assume of course that Gengy was aware this was a possibility when he decided to send out Spring Girls to a whole bunch of different places.
    I am aware of these possibilities. I take no issue with them, as a player. As Lady Spring? Well. She will probably take issue with it, though perhaps not the way you might think
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

15. - Top - End - #1275

Speaking of which...

Mary, you haven't rolled for exploration. You may want to do that before the round ends.

EDIT: Never mind, didn't check the rolls thread. Just link it in the action.
    I have done this.

Also hello to my new neighbor jkat718!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    God, get it together Mary.
    Thank you to AsteriskAmp for the lovely avatar!

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Titan in the Playground

Given the past actions of certain Aeldir, I've no doubt they'll eventually do something terrible enough to warrant locking up a Spring Girl and holding her to ransom.
    One of their players is Dark, of course they will.

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #1277

I am aware of these possibilities. I take no issue with them, as a player. As Lady Spring? Well. She will probably take issue with it, though perhaps not the way you might think
    The Spring Girls are actually...the Spring-ish Inquisition! Bet you weren't expecting that...
    Show

Full Signature

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Ogre in the Playground

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... No one is supposed to expect that.
    Last edited by Gengy; 2015-10-29 at 01:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

19. - Top - End - #1279

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... No one is supposed to expect that.
    Really? Because it's been hinted. That's why Delyth is accompanied at all times. If not by hangers on, admirers, and generous hosts, then by personal serving staff. If at any point she attempts to make her way out of the window of her room, presumably just to innocently "take in some night air", she'll find a valet or maid out on the ledge, curious to know how they might be of service.

Her scheduled is also, very, very hectic, too much so to allow any time to 'accidentally' wander somewhere that wouldn't be appropriate.
    Last edited by DoomHat; 2015-10-29 at 01:39 PM.
    ...with a vengeance!

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Really? Because it's been hinted. That's why Delyth is accompanied at all times. If not by hangers on, admirers, and generous hosts, then by personal serving staff. If at any point she attempts to make her way out of the widow of her room, presumably just to innocently "take in some night air", she'll find a valet or maid out on the ledge, curious to know how they might be of service.

Her scheduled is also, very, very hectic, too much so to allow any time to 'accidentally' wander somewhere that wouldn't be appropriate.
    Maybe the Aeldir aren't the real villains here.

Keeping a (kinda) child within the body of a woman whose husband has died is actually worse than anything Dark has ever done!

()

21. - Top - End - #1281

Maybe the Aeldir aren't the real villains here.

Keeping a (kinda) child within the body of a woman whose husband has died is actually worse than anything Dark has ever done!

()
    Don't know what your talking about. My post clearly says "window". We have always been at war with Oceania.

Besides, I'm not playing the Cree anymore, and they'd only do that if they were particularly upset about something.
    ...with a vengeance!

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, yeah yeah. 'Remains to be seen.' I like that. Good one.
    Soommor
    Maker of Plays, King of the Pitch, First Chosen of Mazara, Camel Sniper, Last Remaining Fragment of Bill Shatner's Mind, Agony Incarnate, Not Jesus, Inventor of the Electric Condom, General Disaster, King of Africa and Uganda in Particular, Better than the Rest of Us.

Oh you are just a treat.
    A Brutal and Shameless Plug if I ever saw one.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBlarGamer

My Blog
    https://benology.wordpress.com/

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean, if you guys want to see how we react when you actually threaten harm to an Aeldir envoy...

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, if you guys want to see how we react when you actually threaten harm to an Aeldir envoy...
    I assure you Dark, I'd never threaten to harm an envoy of the Aeldir.

I'd just do it.

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I assure you Dark, I'd never threaten to harm an envoy of the Aeldir.

I'd just do it.
    Surely that defeats the point of having a hostage, though? It's like a doomsday device: it's the threat that has value, not carrying the threat out.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Surely that defeats the point of having a hostage, though? It's like a doomsday device: it's the threat that has value, not carrying the threat out.
    From Primus' perspective:

Having an envoy in your lands on a semi-permanent basis already carries the implied threat of, say, a nuke or a doomsday device. If the Aeldir are willing to do something so awful that it would necessitate a direct threat to stop them, then A) they're probably gonna do it anyway and count the envoy as an acceptable loss, B) as Dark pointed out they also aren't going to respond well to threats (Primus wouldn't either, and the Aeldir made it clear that they think they're superior in every way), and C) the time for diplomacy is done, done, done. You engage in diplomacy to prevent or delay war and threats of war, not to stop it.

Also, if the act in question that would necessitate the hostage threat isn't done by the time Primus hears about it and sends the threat back, then they don't actually wanna get it done.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2015-10-29 at 04:20 PM.

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #1287

All of the above are reasons that hostage taking was almost unthinkable in the middle ages. We're merely playing host to your second son, he's super well treated, practically one of the family. No need for us to threaten him, that would be just as unthinkable as you #%&ing with us! I mean, if you were to %&$ with us, maybe our treatment of him would change, naturally, but why dwell on absurd hypotheticals like that? Haha, seriously, don't #&$% with us.
    Last edited by DoomHat; 2015-10-29 at 04:32 PM.
    ...with a vengeance!

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Ogre in the Playground

Story Error! Correcting!

I was re-reading the Fantastic Masquerade thread, and realized that there was a naming error on my part in later portions.

The Spring Court girl who was terrorized by the man from Hess Tannan was named 'Axuda'. Later (starting with this post), she introduces herself as 'Aluxa'.

These two are, in fact, the same girl. 'Aluxa' was a typo. It remains a typo within the Round 1 News and Rumors section of my IC Post. Moving forward, however, I ask that people refer to her as the original name, Axuda. I am posting this now, to reduce confusion, and apologize for the error.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Troll in the Playground

Blarhiminn is approved to be used as a region writeup for Region 43

jkat your region idea looks good if indeed somewhat heavy on ASOIAF inspiration, might want to get something written up if you want to have a claim on 100 for next round. If you want a map with some more revealed map areas I can provide that as well.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Blarhiminn is approved to be used as a region writeup for Region 43

jkat your region idea looks good if indeed somewhat heavy on ASOIAF inspiration, might want to get something written up if you want to have a claim on 100 for next round. If you want a map with some more revealed map areas I can provide that as well.
    I so hope someone takes this deal. Being able to see some parts of the map the no one else can would be pretty neat.

...hmmm... I wonder if that's a mechanically possible thing? As a Secret Action?

/begins to ruminate on a tech that might make this happen, but realizes it's unlikely since it's such a difficult task to keep track of multiple maps.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself