New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default The Stratagem of the Six Eyed Snake

About two days ride from Egede, just east from the tip of the Estrovian forest, is a village with no name, and very few permanent residents. In a land geared almost entirely towards a crusade that is unlikely to end anytime soon, there is always movement, and this is especially true on the road from Egede west to Kenebres, and this no-name village lives off that. In many ways, it is more of a permanent camp, with anywhere from twenty or so souls all the way through to hundreds, even edging thousands when crusaders flock through, seeking a place to rest and to replenish themselves on the long march to the front lines.

Today, the no-name village is relatively quiet, just short of a hundred people here by your best reckoning: the twenty odd people who live here, a force of about sixty Iomedan crusaders on their way to Kenebres, and a smattering of other travelers, like yourselves. The Crusaders have set themselves up in a regimented set of tents on the eastern side of the road, most of them involved in drills or small craft work to pass the time. You find yourselves in Last Stop, the tavern which forms the center of this little, itinerant community.

Last Stop is built onto the side of a large warehouse, and when there are a decent number of people looking for entertainment and company, it becomes a great mead-hall, a bonfire set on the far side of the building. In the tavern proper, a more traditional and cozy setting awaits patrons, with a fireplace in one corner, and the barman, Burrus, moving around lazily to fill tankards and collect coin. Today is a quiet day, Iomedans not entirely inclined towards raucous behavior or drink, especially while on the march. Even so, a trio of officers with elegant longswords at their sides talk in quiet voices at a small table, going over various requisition paperwork with a measure of mead for them to share. Making a little more noise is a Taldan family of six, the three parents smiling as their children dive into their soup and bread, talking about their plans to head for Brevoy.

It is heading towards nightfall, and the pair of you arrived only about twenty minutes ago, your mead already on the table and Burrus informing you that stew and bread will be coming along shortly.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: The Stratagem of the Six Eyed Snake

Natasya

Natasya cuts an eye toward Burrus when he mentions soup and bread. She let's the barkeep get out of earshot before commenting to Gallagher; That bread will have at least one weevil. She then takes a sip of her mead and looks at the Taldan family, commenting again; Children, can you imagine. Thank the gods I'm infertile. Natasya then retrieves her deck of cards featuring Extraplanar Beasts. After shuffling through the cards she pulls the Dreamthief Hag (hideously gaunt woman has tangled white hair, goatlike horns, and menacing eyes that blaze with green light) and tosses the card face-up toward Gallagher; This is what I felt like when I woke up this morning. That bed was filled with straw. Straw. Next time, I'm picking the tavern.

Perception (1d20+13)[19] to notice anything different or beyond the norm for this trio of officers.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Gallagher:

Head down on the table, lute carelessly slumping on his back, Gallagher was worn weary to the marrow. He hardly heard what Burrus mentioned, and simply waved at the man to acknowledge him.

"That bread will have at least one weevil," he heard his traveling companion said. It wouldn't be the last time she said it, certainly. "Children, can you imagine. Thank the gods I'm infertile."

"It must be more fun that way, eh? Never have to run around and re-stock silphium concoctions like I do. And gods help the women that refuse to take them..." Gallagher commented without opening his eyes, possibly drifting off.

"This is what I felt like when I woke up this morning. That bed was filled with straw. Straw. Next time, I'm picking the tavern."

After several seconds, he begrudgingly opens one eye to hideously gaunt woman, if one could call her a woman. "I slept just fine," he replies, closing his eye again. "Stop looking around so much. Being suspicious all the time's just gonna give you wrinkles. Sleep more often, that's what I say. This place needs some entertainment, or I'm liable to fall asleep here. Wake me up when the food arrives, eh? Ask him to get us some entertainment. This is an unacceptable welcome for the likes of us."
    Last edited by grifter730; 2017-05-02 at 05:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Natasya

Natasya emits a long, deep, audible breath and continues shuffling and cutting the deck; repeatedly.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The mead is, thankfully, full and sweet, with that small flair of flavor that Taldan barkeeps pride themselves on. As the two of you settle in and cast your eyes over the tavern, the officers stop briefly to glance over towards your table, eyes flicking across the cards in Natasya's hands, before one of them shrugs and returns to the documents before them, speaking softly. Nastasya doesn't notice anything terribly off about them, though Gallagher's keen ear for tone picks up on the slightest of changes when Natasya starts dealing. By and large, they look like standard-issue Iomedaean crusaders, complete with rod-up-arse posture.

Before long Burrus returns, a hefty, but clean-looking loaf on one board, and a pair of steaming bowls in the other. "There you are, valued customers." he says warmly. "And we have rooms available for the night. 2 Silver for a standard, 1 gold for the room above the fireplace" he says, waving a hand towards the fire where you notice the metal pipes leading up from the chimney to the ceiling above. "Also, s'only fair to warn you ma'am, while that lot have other stuff on their mind" he says, waving a hand towards the officers "There were three inquisitors who came through a day ago, and those idiots see demons and witches everywhere. Learnt nothing from the Third Crusade. So, just be careful. A Numerian accent can be taken the wrong way for the pigheaded."
    Last edited by Genth; 2017-04-23 at 03:03 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Natasya

Natasya nods at Burrus. She stows her cards and looks for weevils in the bread before inspecting and taking a sip of the soup.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Gallagher:

Gallagher tried to keep his head down as Burrus came by with the food, but the man was saying things to Nat and making a general ruckus. Raising his head and slapping himself somewhat awake, he addresses Burrus. "Hey barman, is there any entertainment to be had here? These folks could do with some merriment. Feels like I'm at a wake."
    Last edited by grifter730; 2017-05-02 at 05:01 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Burrus raises an eyebrow. "If you're willing to pay 'em, I could go give Abottus and Costralia a call. The other entertainers are over in the Crusaders camp, since soldiers are usually more game for it. Truth be told, when most people get here, all they want is food and sleep. But as I said, want me to go give the resident jokeweavers a call?" he asks, a twitch at the corner of his mouth.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Gallagher:

Gallagher yawns deeply and creaks his neck back and forth. "Doesn't sound like you have much faith in those guys. If you wanna do something right, you just gotta do it yourself. It's your lucky day, Burrus. I'm about to bring you a lot of customers. Show me where to set up."

Stretching as he gets up, Gallagher lightly pats his satchel. "Up for a performance, Étain?" He asks his familiar as he takes out his lute and waits for Burrus to point the way.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Gallagher here's justing wanting a bit of fun and chaos, and perhaps have good standing with Burrus. A barkeep tends to know the goings-on in a place, and might lead to knowledge. He's gonna use his lute, but mainly he'll be singing and trying to attract a crowd as the night wears on. Let's see how the roll goes...
    Perform (Sing): (1d20+16)[34]
    Last edited by grifter730; 2017-05-02 at 05:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Natasya

Natasya leaves her soup and bread and moves to a seat at the bar. She keeps a watch on the patrons, glancing often at Gallagher as he performs. Once her meads runs empty she will raise a finger, requesting another.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ētain laughs as the small, lithe, almost feylike celestial pokes their head out from Gallagher's bags and flutters up into the air. "And here I was thinking you'd forgotten me, Gal!" the diminutive creature replies, settling on Gallagher's shoulder as he approaches Burrus, who gives a small laugh and points to a raised corner of the room.

Once Gallagher starts to play, Ētain joins in, harmonizing their voice to their master's, and occasionally pulling out a tiny pipe to add higher notes. Over the next hour, a few crusaders from the camp wander in, but the looks from their superior officers send them running away. Gallagher does get an audience however - the family moves to a table where they can see him, the children's eyes bright and gleaming. Burrus watches from the bar with an approving, if bemused stare, but the night wears on, and eventually the family turn in, one of the adults speaking to Burrus briefly before heading away.

"Good news, that group offered to pay for your room! At least y'got something out of the night." Burrus says, placing a last pair of mead mugs on the table. "Wouldn't feel too bad,
    your playing is good enough for court. Well. Some courts."
    he qualifies with a grin. "It's just the time of year here. Finish your drinks, I'll get your room set up." He finishes, heading out and up the stairs, just as the officers likewise leave the tavern.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Gallagher

What a sorry bunch of officers, Gallagher thought to himself, letting his familiar hear his thoughts. He grumbled and gave said officers the side glare. What kind of uncouth folks would deny others a little bit of music? Got them free boarding at least, and the kids seemed to have enjoyed it. Oh well.

Gallagher cleaned up and sat at the bar with Nat for one last round, before heading up to his room. He couldn't resist a last dirty glare at the uptight officers.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Natasya

Natasya follows Burrus up the rooms and goes through her stuff, making sure that everything is settled and organized. After some time has past, tired and preferring to rest, Natasya casts Darkness within the room and thinks of future days.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Too true Gal. You know what they say on the upper planes about what, precisely followers of the inheritor inherit right? Ētain replies, shaking their head gently. The officers in question take little to no notice of the pair, and soon vanish for the night back to their camp, leaving the pair of you for bed.

The night passes quietly, gently. Then, in the morning, the door almost explodes inwards from a loud hammering.

"COME OUT UNARMORED!" yells a stern, clipped voice, and with a small 'click', the door opens, to reveal a scared looking Burrus next to one of the officers from before, armor strapped on and sword at his side. "There has been a horrific crime. You two are suspects. Come, now." he orders before Burrus cuts in, stepping forwards and between you and the officer.

"Before you panic, don't worry - nobody really suspects you, it's just.. Aroden's balls, someone murdered two of the other guests - that family - kidnapped the kids. You're the only others here."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Natasya

Natasya (not a morning person) rolls over in bed, pushes the hair from her eyes; Bugger off you arsemongers! I'll be down in a bit and I'm wearing little at'all much less arms and armor. Go! Be gone!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Gallagher:

Squeezing a pillow tightly above his head to drown out the light and noises, Gallagher did his best attempting to go back to sleep, but something was gnawing at him. I think that was the arseface officer from last night that drove away all our audience, he telepathically sent to Étain. The more he thought about it, the more he started fuming, but he was content to let them all stand around and practically dared them to force him up, but he shot himself upright when Burrus mentioned the murder of the only folks who seemed decent to him, and the children being missing.

Gallagher threw the officer an unemotional look, the same dead stare he'd give to an object of no value. "I'll walk downstairs, somewhere public, and answer all your questions there. I know you have no evidence on account of I've committed no crime, so a public place like downstairs is more to my liking. Got nothing to hide, so ask whatever you want, I'll even share tips on how to charm the ladies, or men if that's your thing, looks like you could use some of that, so I'll play nice if you do. But if any of your men so much as touch me, that person's gonna get hurt. Only warning I'm givin' ya. Gotta do my morning ablutions though. Maybe you wanna watch?"

It was only after Gallagher took a deep breath and grinned that he realized it was probably a mistake to make threats while being surrounded and outnumbered. Wasn't my fault, he telepathically communicated with his familiar again. I get twitchy when an audience get kept away, and even more so on little sleep.
    Last edited by grifter730; 2017-05-02 at 05:02 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The officer takes a step into the room, raises a hand and it blooms into a bright, torchlike light, cutting into the darkness of the room (Natasya's spell long since gone), and placing the other hand on his sword, his eyes narrowed. "You like to laugh, don't you? Well, I'd recommend a dose of sobriety if I were you. Two people have died, and you're making jokes about going for a s**t?" he replies to Gallagher, voice full of barely contained fury.

"Do your 'ablutions' then get downstairs. The sooner you explain yourselves, the sooner we can actually start looking for the culprits, if you even give a rat's ass about them." he says, turning and stomping away, Burrus apologetically closing the door behind them.

"This is worrying Gal... those people were nice." Ētain says, zipping up into the air and pulling on their forelock nervously. "The family, obviously."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Gallagher:

No worries, Étain, Gallagher telepathically replies to his familiar. We'll get to the bottom of this, we just don't have to help out the arseface to do it. He's more likely to bungle it all up anyway. Man's got some serious stick stuck in him.

"Hey Nat, this sounds pretty serious. You can imagine how serious since I'm actually awake. Better get ready and, we'll head downstairs together."

Immediately after the officer left, Gallagher took a few moments to stretch and get into his Broken Blade Stance and Warning Presence. Then he proceeds to do his morning routine, paying no attention to the time and how long he's making the officer wait. He's got a clear conscience of his innocence. He debated whether or not to put on his armor and go against the officer's order, but deciding against it at the last moment, making a show of lugging it over his shoulder instead of putting it in his haversack.
    Last edited by grifter730; 2017-05-02 at 05:03 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Natasya

Natasya dons her black & white apparel, then casts Prestidigitation for her general appearance and hygiene. She grabs her black leather haversack and joins Gallagher downstairs. Natasya finds a column or pole on which to lean and listens to the evidence or story or whatever information is about to be unveiled.
    Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    Prestidigitation 2/3 remaining.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Downstairs, the tables have been pushed to the walls, leaving a blank space in the center of the room, within which stands the officer, arms crossed over his chest, and a foul look on his features. Perhaps twelve sword and shield crusaders stand on the far side of the room, blocking the exit.

When Gallagher descents, the crusaders stand at attention, their unanimous movement making a small clunk. In the corner, Burrus stands, still quite pale and very worried looking.

"Good. You are here. For the sake of politeness, I am Inquisitor-Captain Paldus." he says, before raising his hands and starting to cast a spell, his intonations clear and hand movements wide.

Spoiler: Natasya
    Show
    [Spellcraft Check Made You recognize the gestures as casting Zone of Truth around himself.

Spoiler: Gallagher
    Show
    [Will Save Passed You feel the grip of some compulsion briefly settle on you before you shrug it off, without much effort.

"You do not have the aura of evil around you, so that is a step in your favor. This morning, the bartender went to wake the Urieli family from their slumber. He found two of the parent's bodies slaughtered, and the children gone. Do you know anything of this event?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Gallagher:

Étain, let me know if you detect any evil presence, or if anyone's got any especially strong or too much magical auras about them, Gallagher telepathically tells his familiar. Eyes naturally scanning the room, Gallagher notes the blocked exit and the number of guards. He slowly saunters up to the officer and stands a few feet away, armor gripped over his shoulder. He nods as the officer introduces himself as Inquisitor-Captain Paldus, who apparently wasn't above using a spell to compel truth out of his suspects. All's fair, Gallagher supposed. He listened intently this time around, completely awake now, as the Inquisitor asked his question.

"I know nothing of the family or the event you speak of, at least not until you crashed our door and we were informed what it was about. I feel for the family, Urieli did you say they were? They were kind to me, and the children enjoyed our performance. I'd be more inclined to protect them from this sorry hole if I could, the idea that I would harm them is abhorrent to me."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Since his familiar has constant detect evil and detect magic on, Gallagher telepathically asks her (after he finishes speaking) if there's anything out of the ordinary. He walked a bit slow to the center of the room on purpose to buy her time to scan the area. Anyone evil? And who aside from presumably the Inquisitor has magic on them?

Also, changed my speech color because the silver tongue color just wasn't showing up well enough to my liking.
    Last edited by grifter730; 2017-05-02 at 05:04 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

For a few moments, the inquisitor leans forwards, eyes raking over Gallagher with no pretense or subtlety. Finally, he nods.

"You are believed. Such a disgusting act as these murders abhors us all, traveler." Paldus says, straightening and moving away, though his gaze moves across Natasya briefly. "This is no doubt the barbaric work of demon worshipers. I shall have to find their trail." he growls, moving towards the door where the rest of the soldiers salute him smartly. Just before he gets to the door, he turns again. "If you are headed for the Crusade, be watchful. Filth like the ones who committed these deeds hide everywhere."

Ētain watches from the rafters, shaking their head gently, and replies to Gallagher Nobody here smells of evil Gal...
    Last edited by Genth; 2017-05-02 at 07:12 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Gallagher:

The man was uptight and hard, but he seemed to sincerely care, and no evil presence, so he just happens to be a jerk. Gallagher stops Paldus before he leaves. "Is this something common that's happening around here?" He asks the Inquisitor. "Children going missing isn't something I like to let alone. Have others gone missing recently?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Natasya

Natasya sits back as the scene unfolds. She keeps quiet for the most part. It's sad that kids are missing. She is not as passionate toward the issue of missing children as Gallagher seems to be.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Paldus pauses by the door, not turning yet, seemingly in thought for a few moments.

"It is not common. Although children are not common in these parts." The inquisitor says, before turning, arms folded across his chest. "I take it you are new to Mendev then? Let me explain. The cities, by and large, are bastions, and aside from demonic attack, are safe. The roads most commonly have soldiers upon them, thus are safe. Nevertheless, among the.. native population there are those who would side with the Abyssal horde in treachery of their Queen and race." the Inquisitor frowns. If you are offering help, I will take it. What can you do?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Gallagher:

Gallagher shrugged his shoulders. "Can't promise anything, and I gotta consult with my companion over there," he nods at Natasya, "but like I said, they were nice to me. If I'm not mistaken, they paid for our room, seems like it'd be the least we could do to go and find the children. Any clues to be found at the scene? Perhaps we can give it a look. What do you think, Nat?" He looks over at his adventuring partner.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Natasya

Natasya nods at Gallagher with a raised eyebrow that can only be interpreted as indifference.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Paldus looks at the pair for a while, lips tight, then nods, gesturing for Gallagher to follow. The family had been staying in a back room, adjacent to the large, empty hall that annexes the tavern. Inside is a rather bloody sight. Two bodies lie in the room, both showing signs of a vicious battle. One by the door has a sword in her hand, the arm nearly severed by a deep blow that looks to have gone right through the shoulder and into the torso, though there are other injuries. The other is against the far wall, slumped in a sitting position with a large wound in her chest.

Spoiler: Gallagher
    Show
    On inspection, you can see bootprints on the floor, made with the blood of the victims. It's somewhat of a confusing mess, and they vanish about 5 feet out from the doorway, but your training in tracking lets you intuit that the footprints are also mixed with loam - not the dry dust of the roads, but the thick mulch of woodland.

Spoiler: Natasya
    Show
    Your healing training helps you to figure out what killed the pair - the body by the door was killed by a heavy blow from a large,
    barbaric weapon, likely a battleaxe, while the one on the far side was killed with a polearm of some kind, a wide-bladed one used as a thrusting weapon slightly wrongly - as if they used a glaive or the like as a spear.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Gallagher:

Gallagher wasn't sure what to expect as he walked to the room, and the butchered bodies really shouldn't have affected him much, but all he could think of was how the children that seemed to have been filled with so much joy last night must be in a state of utter terror now. And that's possibly the best case scenario, unless one finds death a more appealing alternate.

As such, Gallagher inspected the room as meticulously as he could. "Interesting that the track just ends right here," he says to both Natasya and Etain. "Teleportation maybe? And they came from the woods, not the road. What do you make of all this, Nat?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Are we able to do skill checks here, or have you basically done them and this was our conclusion?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Natasya

Natasya had witnessed death on many occasions. She was detached emotionally as she began to inspect the bodies. She started with the body at the door; This one. A heavy gash. Likely a large axe. She then moved to the other side of the room; This soul was run through. Another rough wound. Perhaps a pole-arm thrust with lack of precision. These are sloppy deaths. Perhaps they were rushed or unintelligent killers.

Natasya looked up at Gallagher, then rose from the floor, her inspection complete. To the woods?