New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: At the Edge of Humanity {IC}

Tai

Tai, too, is surprised by Jerid's stealth, and bemused by Alala's reaction. I do not think a foe who had crept upon us so would expend their surprise by yelling, "boo," rather than attacking, he thinks, but he keeps his thoughts to himself. They are all, doubtless, on edge after being assaulted by a small army. Both Jerid's attempt at levity and Alala's reaction seem to be responses to that.

"Let's be on our way, quickly," he says.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

Morgin. He's waited after these outbursts to speak, and as they prepare to leave he speaks. I've heard of...Abdul...he may offer mercy too? This is...acceptable.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

With a map that still gives an impression of a huge region around them, travel East seems much longer than it should. The party gathers quickly after their decisions and leaves the battlefield. It seems like the hills go on forever, but finally, they crest a gentle hill overlooking the mist-covered base of the mountains. Although they temporarily loses sight of the path, Verin and Omar are able to offer magical aid. It is several hours past sunset.

Before them lies a mountain-pass slick with the dew that also covers it. In the mountain range beyond, the rumble of distant thunder suggests more possibilities for the coming night. The sky is mostly obscured by clouds, as the pale light from the sliver of a moon.

The party takes time to reflect upon their journey and discuss their plans going forward.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2016-01-17 at 07:42 PM.

more

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tai

"Passes always seem like a good place for an ambush, though here, it may even be dwarves rather than the slavers. Perhaps some reconnaisance is in order?" He looks to the small dragon.
    Custom Class

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Before they left...

With the loot and the passengers loaded, there was nothing else to do before they left, 'cept one thing.

Instead of going straight for the path they're going to use, Alala chooses a course that makes a large, lazy loop through the woods Jerid flew off into. "Jerid? Jerid?" she called, with the circuitous route clearly not a co-incidence.

Spoiler: If Jerid Responds
    Show

Then I'll post something based on the response

Spoiler: If Jerid Does Not Respond
    Show

"We're going to head East, find a road the army aren't going to be ahead of us on, try and work our way around to the dwarves without running into the rest of them. You're still welcome to catch us up if you want... Otherwise, the army went that way, " Alala will point, regardless of whether or not she has any idea if Jerid can see the gesture, "and I wish you good luck finding your own way to safety."

6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jerid has flown a ways into the forest and found a nice tree to sulk in. He normally has a lot more fun as a bird. Not today. Stupid jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alala(lalala)
    "Jerid? Jerid?"
    ... She came to look for him. Huh. The young raven hops down from the tree and into Alala's path. He's still sporting a nasty cut on his chest. To further banish any doubts as to his identity, his eyes are a bright green rather than the typical corvid black.

"Caw?" Jerid asks with a slight tilt to his head.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"...Come, now. I'm lucky my owners taught me common, no-one was ever going to teach me to speak Bird!" No, she didn't know what a Raven was. Well, she knew it was a bird... but she couldn't have named the type, or told you anything about it apart from it being a bird...

While her first response had actually been a little amused, Alala quickly lapsed into a rather... embarrassed... tone of voice as she continued.

"We've got to get a move on before any of that lot behind us get themselves together. We're heading off that way, " She gestures with a wing - in this case, the wing that she had been using to hold her arrow wounds closed. To Jerid, they're visible as three (large) patches of slowly clotting blood on her flank, and a matching series of bloodstains on the bottom of the wing. "to try and find a route dwarfwards that doesn't have a human army marching across it." Demonstration over, she quickly clamps the wing back over her wounds. "You're still welcome to travel with us. I wasn't angry with you or anything... you just startled me. When I was armed. I... have some very... specific... training about how to react in that sort of situation, and... yeah, it's pretty much what just happened.

Just... try not to trigger it in future, okay? Call on your way in or something. Y'know, before you get into 'panic' range. I think we'd both appreciate this not happening again...
    "

8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Caw?" Jerid replies in a skeptical tone. His head bobs this way and that while he paces and... thinks? It's hard to tell what goes on in a young bird's brain. He pauses briefly. "...Caw." Jerid flies into the air and perches gently on Alala's shoulder. "Caw!" he shouts, flapping his wings with excitement. Buffets Alala in the face a little.

Whoops.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Still can't understand any of that..."

Alala wasn't going to hold their escape up over that, though. If any of it was important, she was sure Jerid would provide a translation later. So she set off, extra passenger in tow.

They had a lot of ground to cover before tonight, after all...

Flashback Scene Complete!

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

A distant rumble brings everyone's attention back to their present situation.

The mists haven't cleared. A gap in the clouds shows the waning moon and its pale light that barely outstrips the shine of the stars. The slick rocks are have the dew-y stillness to them inherent upon a night like this. A warm breeze passes, carrying the reminder that the night is still fairly cold.

Crickets chirrup in the distance, content to celebrate the wetness they have.

more

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"So, one of you knows-how-to-read-maps types: Tell me, how far do we have to go? The nice thing about mist is it means I can fly over the top without fear of being seen by people on the ground. But if we're heading somewhere inside the mist, landing's going to be... 'fun'... and we'd probably be better off trying to creep through it..."

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Verin

"Well, I'm not much for above-ground type situations, but that up there looks like a choke point to me." Verin stretches her legs, one by one, "So if we are going to be ambushed, I'd like it to be in the morning, when I've had a chance for a little shut-eye."

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Omar is still trying to get his mind around their predicament... somehow they'd gotten on the bad side of a group that didn't just send a few thugs after people they didn't like. They sent an army. Who knows what else was out there waiting for them?

"I can scout ahead on the ground if needed. I'm fine either way... going right now or waiting until morning. I just hope there's nobody following us..."
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tai

Tai, meanwhile, takes a look at the map.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty sure we have a map of some sort, and checking it seems a sound suggestion. K(geography): (1d20+8)[9]

"This . . . is a very poorly written map. I cannot even find our pass," he says with a huff.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2016-01-19 at 11:41 AM.
    Custom Class

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

Tai

"This . . . is a very poorly written map. I cannot even find our pass," he says with a huff.
    All that Tai sees from the map fragments of northern Versuvia are the existence of an entrance to the Dwarven lands without promise of the specific route. It would indeed take someone quite knowledgeable about geography to determine where to go.

more

16. - Top - End - #346
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jerid lands on Omar's head and makes impatient bird noises.
    Last edited by JonRG; 2016-01-22 at 08:30 PM.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"People following us is why I'd like to fly you for a bit. If you stay rooted to the ground then it's essentially a race - they can track your trail unless something destroys it, and all you can do is run ahead. Needless to say, running for your life and searching for something don't mix too well.

Take to the air when they can't see you, and the trail stops dead. Then we find a cave or a stand of trees or something that's far enough from the path that they won't see us unless we do something stupid, and we bed down for the day. Gives us a chance to watch the passes - looking for dwarves or humans - and plan our movements for tomorrow night.
    "

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

"How many of us can you carry?"

Omar rolls his eyes up at Jerid...

"I think he wants me to do something right now. Would you all like me to take a quick look around? Keep in mind that I am very stealthy but not very fast."

Spoiler
    Show
    If the party approves. I'll start moving out (invisible) in the direction it seems we should be going from what we know of the map.
    Last edited by Swami Monsoon; 2016-01-22 at 09:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"I think if he wants you to do something, he can turn back into a form that can speak and tell you it himself. Unless he's trying to tell you he doesn't know how to turn back?"

Like Alala would know the rules of a dragon's shapechange ability...

"Anyway, how many of you can I carry? All of you. Seriously, I must be... what, 10 times your combined weight? If I can get myself airborne, the four of you aren't going to weigh me down."

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Verin

"Ha! Why've we been walkin' then? Anyway, unfortunately I didn' ever read any geography books, so that isn't one of my areas of expertise."

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"...Because I'm *faster* on the ground. I'm wearing magic horshoes for the increased running speed, but their magic doesn't help my wings any. It's a straight trade between using my higher running speed or leaving no ground tracks. If it wasn't for the mist, I'd just stick with running..."

22. - Top - End - #352
    Troll in the Playground

Alala manages to gather as many of her other companions as she desires and takes off. The mist thickens into patches of cloud, making her scouting difficult. The scouting is nothing short of majestic with the swirling, low-hanging clouds and the cool mountain breeze.

Spoiler: Checks
    Show

Any Perception here is made at a -5 penalty from the partial cloud cover. If Alala is game, she may help her companions "take 20" by taking multiple passes around the nearby mountain ranges, BUT I'll roll % to see if Alala's flying ends up in an accident.

Omar manages to (invisibly) sneak away up the slick steps.

Spoiler: movement
    Show

Omar will need to move at half move to avoid slipping on the treacherous, moistened stone.

more

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Verin

Verin tries to spot anything relevant.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception (1d20+14)[20]

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Alala, likewise, will keep an eye out as she flies. But, since she doesn't know what she'd be looking for down in the mist, she's primarily looking for rest spots that'll be hard to spy from the paths.

"Perception" - (1d20+13)[33]

She does not, however, perform multiple passes unless she needs to do so to find somewhere safe to land them. She's not *that* confident in her flight yet...

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

Omar looks for anything interesting at ground level... although he's a bit surprised that the rest of the group had taken off without him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot/perception (1d20+12)[24]

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jerid trills happily as Omar sneaks away, then he does the same, taking to the air as stealthily as he can manage. From there, the raven tries to keep a good eye out for trouble.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gonna try and do both things, radly!

Perception: (1d20+11)[22]
    Stealth: (1d20+22)[30]

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tai

"I'd just as soon stick with you," Tai tells Alala. Though the flying makes him feel queasy, he suspects another set of eyes on the ground won't help much, whereas from the air, he may spot and deal with trouble more effectively. "Do not worry about a resting spot," he reminds the centaur. I'll form an extradimensional space for us. In fact, if you can hover long enough, I could even do so here, in mid-air, where no one would be able to reach us, and you could fly us up and down."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20+13)[18]
    Custom Class

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Could we see out of such a space? Whoever's awake as we rest should probably keep an eye on the passes, looking for dwarves... or pursuit..."

29. - Top - End - #359
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tai

"Yes. For those of us on the inside, the entrance is like a window, but those outside cannot see in. It also puts us beyond the reach of all but the rarest magics that are specially designed to work across interdimensional barriers. We will literally be out of this world."
    Spoiler
    Show
    CPsi at 97, for anyone desiring OOC knowledge about psychoportive shelter. This has got to be one of my favorite powers.
    Custom Class

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

Watt grumbles at the burning pile of sticks he made for himself in a hole he's dug. Life seemed so grim for these animals. However bad it was, it was probably just as rough as it was for Watt trying to stay warm. He hoped they'd be back soon.

more