New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: At the Edge of Humanity {IC}

Alala and Tai have trouble seeing past the swirling mists. Even with darkvision, the rocky land looks warped, harsh and foreboding when juxtaposed with the shifting cloud cover.

Omar travels more than 100 feet and can spot little of the layout before him. He catches a glimpse of the towering mountains and what he thought was an entrance--but the mists cover it up. He stares for what seems like several minutes but doesn't see more. Movement at the edge of his blindsense tug him away from his search, but he doesn't see anything. Something was down there, moving.

Below him, Jerid catches the faint glow of a fire: Watt's doing. Jerid senses movement further away but upon investigation, it's just Alala moving about. Strange, though. It felt lower to the ground than the winged centaur. His feathers ruffle uncontrollably. He feels like he's being watched, but he doesn't see anything.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2016-01-30 at 05:22 PM.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"That works. Then I'll find a nice launching spot and you can conjure up your shelter there."

Alala was too nervous a flier to appreciate the idea of having to drop through a portal into mid air. So she'd find a nice mountainside spot where she'd have a little ground to launch from, instead. It probably wasn't necessary, but she didn't much feel like pushing the boundaries of her flying ability...

3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jerid doesn't think. He immediately goes into a dive. He frantically scans the clearing for Watt, making several alarmed bird noises as he does so.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

As Jerid dives, he flies towards the creature. It looks is a human, but it doesn't feel or smell like Watt. As Jerid begins cawing frantically, he hears the characteristic laugh of Watt nearby. Through the flickering illumination of the mists, Watt's voice finds him, urging him towards his fire. The other human looks in disbelief at Jeridexeles, and smiles, curious what the ostensible raven will do.

Meanwhile, Watt calls to Jerid again, giving him a place to head towards.

more

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Omar realizes that something may be wrong, but he has no way of signaling the others flying above without directing attention to himself.
    He decides to retreat back towards the fire...
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jerid merrily hops towards Watt (and the fire) on his little bird feet. While he's quite happy to just bounce around as a bird, part of him can't help but wonder what Watt and this man are doing out here in the wilderness.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Troll in the Playground

Watt smiles to his bird-friend and Greets Jerid as he approaches. It is not long afterward that this other man approaches from the swirling mist.

Good evening sir. It appears your companion has quite the character. Tell me, what is a Ranger such as yourself doing in these parts of the world? Ah-- he looks at the meagre fire Watt has set up. Your pit is too shallow, and the branches you use are too small to last for long. Let's see what we can do. The man goes to the edge of the rocky outcroppings. He takes a knife and scrapes off large amounts of moss from the rocks and puts them into a pouch at his waist. A few minutes later he returns to the fire and empties the moss into the pit. As Watt protests, the man holds him back. This is Firemoss, a common growth on the rocks this far north. See how it smoulders, but the smoke it produces doesn't last? It holds little water and it burns for a long time. You will be warm in no time. The ranger looks at Jerid, and asks, Does your companion have a name? Upon Watt's response, he says, Greetings, Jerid, Raven of Rak. I have not heard of your woods. There are many hidden gems in this country, no? Watt and the ranger chat for some time about Versuvia, Sodis and travels.

While they do this, Jerid has the opportunity to look at the man in detail. Lithe and limber, the man wears good-quality padded armor. He carries two small, curved blades and on his back, Jerid recognizes the telltale notches in a thin staff to recognize it as an unstrung bow. The man's various pouches look full enough and he also carries a small back. In short, this man is clearly accustomed to life out doors.

The ranger eventually steers the conversation back to why they are here. I am a sworn protector of this land, and I must be suspicious of all travelers that cross my domain. If you can grant me the truth, it would put me at ease.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2016-02-05 at 02:44 AM.

more

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jerid really agonizes over his options. If this man was a hunter or even just didn't like dragons, they might have to throw down. Watt could get hurt. He hops up onto Watt's shoulder and tilts his head to one side, as if to say, "What do you think?" Watt was a good judge of character. He would know what to do.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Omar approaches the fire but stays hidden, watching and waiting to see what the stranger has in mind...

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tai

High above, Tai taps Alala on the back. "Perhaps we should head down to check on Watt and the others. I don't think we're seeing anything of note up here."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just trying to put us back together, and where the action is.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

11. - Top - End - #371
    Troll in the Playground

Watt smiles at Jerid and thanks him for saying hello. He takes the time to watch Jerid's mannerisms before turning back to the man. Watt finally tells him that he's visiting the mountains here by way of the Dwarves, and that his business is likely of no interest to the man.

The ranger smiles as he stretches towards the warm and burning moss. There are rumblings of ill tidings passing through these lands. Monsters and mercenaries clashed near Ürpost earlier, so i'm told. Would you know anything about that?

Watt's eyes glitter as he tells the man that he doesn't know where Ürpost is, but that he's come a long way from the eastern Steoshi steppes, and perhaps he had a map?

The ranger snorts, and in that moment, he appears much older to Watt than he originally seemed. Watt spots the faint and barely-noticeable point to his ears, and taps Jerid on the head, a motion for Jerid to examine the situation more closely. I have little need of maps, young man. What I'm looking for are monsters intent on threatening the lives of the people here, or mercenaries that mean harm to the people here. This land has had enough war and killing to last many lifetimes.

Watt assures him that he's encountered no monsters of that kind, but he did see a band of mercenaries marching to the north outside of the last town he passed; perhaps he should check that way? The ranger nods, thanks Watt, and heads back towards the forest. One moment, Jerid (and Omar) can sense him; A few seconds later, the ranger's presence is gone.

Watt laughs at Jerid's reactions, making merry that the young dragon is being too jumpy, and proceeds to gather more firemoss from the rocky outcroppings nearby.

more

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

About the same time that Alala and Tai return to the small and barely-visible fire, Watt trudges back from the outlying rocks and appears to be good spirits. He whistles as he holds some wet moss over the fire. He looks pleasantly surprised at how quickly it dries up and Watt proceeds to drop it in the small fire. After several heaping handfuls are lain into the shallow hole, enough heat (but little smoke) is produced by the wan flames. This done, he takes a small steel rod from his small pack and skewers a very large rabbit that he had apparently managed to catch and skin earlier in the day.

Watt smiles to Jerid-as-raven and remarks to the beast that he suspects the ranger was hiding something, and seems to be explains to the bird about the slight point in his ear shape. Although not unkindly or condescending, it reminds Alala the way a master might talk idly to his dog when lacking good company.

Watt has pointedly turned his back to Alala and managed to ignore her approach and continues to talk animatedly to Jerid as if he's entirely unaware of her presence. He proceeds to tell Jerid that an experienced ranger like that is almost certainly going to have a companion on the lookout for unusual things, and that they (he an Jerid) would best be served finding a safe shelter out of the way, to avoid any unnecessary entanglements or ambushes in the night. Omar, Alala, Tai and especially Jeridexeles have spent enough time around the young man to very reasonably understand what he is implying.

Spoiler: That is to say
    Show

1) Watt is rarely in such good spirits for such lack of reason to be:
    a) Anyone taking him off-guard should have put him on edge, but he's acting OK, which means he can't afford to appear cautious.
    b) That he is cooking so much usable meat means that he is preparing to need to be quiet and cautious for a little while.
    2) The "ranger" was hiding something. What he said with his information or intentions is not trustworthy, but Watt can't tell what or why.
    3) It is best for Alala, Tai and Omar to avoid being seen for the evening as best as possible.
    4) It would be very dangerous for Watt to be seen in association with any other Monsters, and that they need to find a safe place to stay out of view of any animals that could possibly see them

more

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tai

A brief look of puzzlement is quickly replaced with understanding on a certain dire rat's face. He leans down to murmur in Alala's ear, "Let's not frighten the strange human-we-have-never-seen-before by asking for a meal. We will leave him with his pet raven and find food and shelter elsewhere -- 'higher up,' like I mentioned before. We will undoubtedly meet up with our friends later, and pass swiftly through these lands without trouble."

Knowing that he and Alala share the Halfling tongue, he murmurs more quietly, "I can explain more later, if you do not understand, we must away, now."
    Custom Class

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Alala, who'd brought both trail rations and takeaway from breakfast with her, hadn't intended to ask for food anyway. (Or so she was busy telling herself, anyway.) She had intended to recover Jerid, but instead followed Tai's suggestion of turning around and moving off into the fog once more. She needed a little space to get airborne (not being a powerful enough flyer yet to make a vertical takeoff), after all, and then she'd find a suitable landing spot above the fog cover for Tai to make his out-of-reality hideaway for them.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jerid hops up on Watt's shoulder with a series of excited bird noises and watches the fire burn. He idly nuzzles the ranger's cheek. This was really nice. ... The smell of the delicious rabbits, of course. What else could Jerid have meant?

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

Watt leaves Jerid some of the rabbit after he's picked his fill and goes searching for a place to stay, somewhere out of the cold and wet weather.

Spoiler: Survival
    Show

(1d20+9)[23]

Despite the challenge of the search, Watt manages to find a decent cave-like area in the toes of the mountains. It is mostly covered from the sky and has what Watt suspects to be decent protection from the rain. He has trouble climbing back out of the large rock area, and when he returns he is favoring his arm good-naturedly.

Jerid, ol' buddy, I found a place for us to stay for the night. There's even enough space for three of me to lie down and sleep. We'll be sleeping on rock, but it's solid and dry. I'm sure we can make you a nest or something for the evening.

Unless Jerid (Or Omar) has any more pressing business, Watt encourages them to find shelter. It looks like it's going to rain tonight.

-------------------------
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2016-02-18 at 03:07 PM.

more

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tai

Meanwhile, on a suitable mountain ledge Alala has found high above, Tai works to fashion his own shelter. The conditions are far from ideal for concentration, yet he manages.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The entrance to a psychoportive shelter is a 7'-diameter circle (going from memory). Alala may have to duck and fold her wings in, but she should be able to manage that.

"You know," he mentions to Alala and Verin, "if I'd had more foresight, I could have mind-linked with Watt to help keep us in touch. It wouldn't work across the extra-dimensional entrance to our shelter, but at least we'd be able to let him know where we are, and we could plan how to meet up again.

"Oh, well. A plan for another time, I guess. Let's get out of this weather and get some rest. I think we will fare better than the others.
    "
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2016-02-19 at 12:12 PM.
    Custom Class

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

Verin feels a tingle in his mind as he is about to enter the shelter. It is a persistent feeling, and it also feels as if it would fade should he be fully inside the shelter Tai has made.

There is a similarity to the feeling, as if he has been in its presence for a little while but unsure of its whereabouts.

more

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Verin

"Eh? EH?" Verin whips around and peers suspiciously back and forth. Realizing it perhaps isn't a physical sensation, Verin tries to figure out what the tingle is and where she remembers it from. "Getting somethin' weird here fellas." If that doesn't work Verin will try Detect Magic.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

The tingle in Verin's mind feels like a request for a telepathic connection. He can't put a claw on it, but he gets the idea that it doesn't mean him harm. Regardless, the request felt like a kind gesture rather than an invasion.

more

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Verin Accepts!

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Omar continues to watch and wait...

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

Omar watches over Jerid and Watt. He hears a rumble of clouds closer to him, and rain starts to fall. The droplets are large and plentiful, and they bring a chill to the air. Nearby, Watt's small fire sputters and quickly goes out. Jerid and his ranger companion quickly fall asleep.

Spoiler: Perception 17
    Show

Omar may notice a slight glint of the ruby from on Jerid's form. Somehow, the ruby was not fully secured in Jerid's bags. It does not seem dangerous, and Omar gets an impression that It's okay

-------------

Verin feels the mental equivalent of a blind person touching him. Finally, a voice emerges. Thank you for accepting my invitation. I am Ealo, a gem of the ancient Dwarven Shardmind. Following my previous owner's demise, your dragon-companion Jeridexeles accepted my presence somewhat readily. Verin gets the sense of self-admonishment. I do not believe the Dwarves would like the Dragon's presence any more than yours, but I believe you are more capable of rational decisions than the other. I have peered into your minds, however, and I know you are all free of the Taint and are unlikely to harm my people.

How to word this...There is a Gemsmoot already several days overdue at which my previous owner is expected. I am the Brewer's gem, the single most influential vote for any Dwarven politics, and I possess the comprehensive knowledge of all Dwarven Brewing. Because ale is necessary for Dwarves to live, the support and presence of the Brewer's gem at a Moot is inflexibly required.

If monsters such as yourselves show up bearing his corpse, however well-intentioned your actions may be, you expose yourselves to great danger: the murder or the association with murder of any Moot-gem bearer is considered High Treason, and worse than the murder of the King. The Clans have been in turmoil and upheaval since the Cleansing, and this Moot is meant to restore the Clans to peace. Therefore, I must request that you act as Bromin Steelbeard in his stead, and that you wait until the right time to reveal Bromin's death after the Moot.

...Do you have any questions?
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2016-02-20 at 03:39 PM.

more

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Verin

Verin responds, Yeah, couple questions fer ya Ealo. I appreciate the warnin' about the treason thing, seein' as I want to keep from havin' a dwarven axe end up betwixt my head and the rest of me. How am I ta go about pretendin' ta be a dwarf to a buncha dwarves who probably know 'im? Even aside from it bein' a mighty test'a my lyin skills such as they are an' the powers of my spiffy new hat to disguise me. Though I appreciate the confidence.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

Ealo

Fortunately for you, those that will remember him knew only his younger self from a hundred or so years ago: Bromin Steelbeard has spent most of his life in exile. He was... Ealo pauses almost long enough for Verin to believe the gem was finished but continues Well, it is not my story to tell. Suffice it to say I will do very much for my safe return, including a little aid to you and Jeridexeles.

I regret that I cannot maintain this connection more tham a few minutes longer. Any other important questions?

more

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Verin

"Last thing'd be if ye could indicate the veracity of what I'm sayin' somehow when I tell the others, so they don't jus' chalk it up ta the crazy spider monster makin' up stories. Being as you haven't talked much with any of 'em. And bein' as yer already overdue, know any shortcuts to the moot?"

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

Ealo

The voice sighs into Verin's head. Any shortcuts I know of will bring more confusion than acting as directly as possible. Hmmm....It would possible to unveil a new brewing recipe to the Brewers' guild. This will act to allow your group to bypass many conventions due to my tardiness.

I cannot un-grant the knowledge of brewing to Jeridexeles until I re-bind myself to another in a Passing Ritual, about which we'll later confer. Perhaps confer with him to think of something incredible. I believe his youth will allow
    something to be done..

As for proof of our conversation...I can grant you a shapechange that will make you a Dwarf for several days. You
    will be thirsty for beer, but I assure you it's a natural part of the Dwarven diet.

----------------

Omar, while watching and listening to the sounds of the rain, catches the barely-audible sounds of activity outside the rocky enclosure chosen by Jerid and Watt. The rain feel rejuvenating to Omar, a feeling that he not felt since his transformation.

more

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Verin

"Fine, fine. Though dwarves are super creepy. Those thick legs - and only two of them!"

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Omar moves cautiously towards the sounds, trying to get a look at what's going on...

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jerid continues to be a sleepy little bird.