New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: At the Edge of Humanity {IC}

Tai

Tai does not snore, no matter what Alala may say, and is Verin mumbling in his/her/its sleep?

Tai rolls over and pulls his paws over his ears. This is what comes of sharing your burrow with others, he thinks, sleepily.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Meanwhile, Alala isn't 'in bed' yet. She's inside the shelter, where she'd set out her oversized bedroll. She was kneeling down upon it, glancing out the entrance as she waits for Verin to join them inside.

Still, she notices Tai shifting around restlessly. She decided to drape a wing over him. With the feathers laid flat, the only thing it needed to qualify as a duvet was a cloth cover, after all...

(Although if it was turned into a duvet later, someone would probably also remove the bones. But there were limits to how far she was willing to go to try and help her colleague sleep...)

3. - Top - End - #393
    Troll in the Playground

As the rain pours down, Omar becomes aware of four humans furtively tracking through the mud. They look at the tracks left by Alala and the others. In the pouring rain and their heavy coats it's tough to make out fine details, but Omar catches one of them with an unstrung bow lined with runic sigils--he's sure he's seen them on the half-orc half-elf archer Dobson before. They travel up the wet and slick steps and return almost an hour later, conferring quietly to themselves.

One has light-colored hair, but he can't distinguish color in the dark. The other speaker is almost certainly Dobson.
    Spoiler: If Omar can pass a DC 20 Perception check and pass a DC 40 Hide
    Show

We should stop here for tonight. They are close by, but had a means of remaining undetected.
    Are you sure the rain isn't washing away their smell?
    I can track spells delivered by Hartseeker.
    So...we wait?

Omar hears little else as they disappear into the small thicket beyond the rocky base of the mountains.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

The crystal voice quiets in Verin's mind. It seems to be content to let the Neogi have the last word.

-------

Omar watches the other few hooded and covered people follow the archer into the thicket. He could perhaps follow if he desired, trusting to his excellent stealth. However, he feels the effects of a day's travel, combat and thoughts press upon him.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I will treat any further checks this evening as Fatigued. However, I think the story has spent a bit long not moving forward. If Omar so desired to listen in to their conversations, I'll write it in spoilers as I move the plot forward.

-------

The night is somewhat cold and damp for Jerid, Omar, and Watt, but they hear the sounds of insects buzzing their appreciation for the rain. The night passes comfortably for Alala, Verin and Tai.

The next morning they are greeted by sounds of full life around them. Even before the sunrise birds are out, announcing the bounty of the fresh, cleansing rain. The day, it seems, is theirs. What is to come?

more

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Verin

Verin stretches all her limbs (one at a time, obviously) and spends a few minutes grooming the bristles covering her thorax. "When do you suppose the other'll be around? Or should we join them?"

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"They probably don't know where we went for the night, " Alala points out. "so we should probably go looking for them. Hopefully they'll also be busy looking for us, and we'll meet in the middle somewhere..."

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Omar moves to inspect the tracks left by the strangers and see if they left any clues in the spot where they had been watching.
    After that he waits to see if the rest of the party arrives or if Jerid and his new friend decide to leave...
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

8. - Top - End - #398
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tai

Tai dreams of the night he slept in a farmer's chicken coop on the road from Sodis. Though there had been some squawking at first, the chickens readily settled down after being charmed and made a pleasantly warm bed. One of them had the honor of serving as a delicious breakfast the next morning.

He wakes up hungry for chicken and realizes, with some disappointment, that this time the feathers blanketing him belong to Alala, instead. Oh, well, he thinks.

They won't know where we are, but we probably should not connect with them too readily. They know we are flying and able to spot them from above. I suggest we take wing and shadow them from the sky for a few hours before rejoining them.

"Watt seemed to think he was being watched, and that whoever was watching him wouldn't be too happy about creatures like us being around. They are safer and we are safer if we keep our distance for now.
    "

(Edit) "If you wish, he adds as an after thought, "If you can discretely fly us within about 50' of them on a quick pass, I can establish a mindlink. Once I have us linked up, we can communicate with them from any distance. I should have thought of that last night, though it would not have worked within our shelter," he adds somewhat sheepishly.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2016-03-03 at 11:50 AM.
    Custom Class

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Fifty feet? ...Well, yes, but if you don't want us spotted by a watcher, that'll probably require invisibility. Can either of you manage that? I think it was Omar that gave me it last time...

If we can't, well, there's not much cover in the sky. We'd be stealthier if I just used that disguise ring to walk down to the road, and we pretended to be a mounted messenger or something.
    "

10. - Top - End - #400
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tai

"Yes, I can do that: a sphere of invisibility to cover us. I should be able to maintain it for about 10 minutes, and forming a mindlink will not disturb it. Let's keep high in the air, where you might be mistaken for just another bird. When we spot the others, we can go invisible, swoop down to establish contact, and then return to the high skies. Simple. What could possibly go wrong?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Good suggestion. Invisibility Sphere will take my 3rd-level SLA spot. Any requests for the other two slots? They need to be Sor/Wiz lvl 2 or lower.
    Custom Class

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Okay... I can do high." Alala sticks her head back out the opening, and takes a quick look around for anything nearby.
    "Perception" - (1d20+13)[32]

If she doesn't spot anything, she'll then squeeze the rest of her body back out into the material world, and wait for Tai and Verin to climb back into place before she takes off. As always, there's a little bit of a run-up involved, but a leap gets her off the ground and her wings are good enough to keep her moving up...

Spoiler
    Show

When she's up there, taking 20s (for 33) on her perception checks to spot people on the roads beneath her. She's in no rush, after all...

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

As the others ready themselves, Alala takes a look outside. The world looks as it should after a night-long rain: the earth is wet and ready, the earth and stone below them are slick and warming in the early-morning sun. Even up in the peaks, life brims with birds already busy from early-morning hunts to bring worms and snails to their nests. It is a busy morning for the creatures of nature!

Far below her, the expanse of the road taken by the party last night leads into the small cluster of buildings that must be Ürpost, and she barely sees the large wagons traveling past the town.

Closer, the centaur sees a small thicket to the west of the road. The trees there are white with broad green leaves that wave in the wind, but spots no trace of humanoid life. The tall, grassy fields beyond that blow and bow to the winds that pass through. From the high-up vantage point, Alala sees no traces of humans except evidence of those off in the distance passing towards the last town.

As she is about to leave, Alala notices some movement among the mountains. She spots several dwarves riding rams that jump and skip with expert grace among the rocky crags of their mountain home. The creatures are well-equipped and look like the sort of soldiers that would conduct patrols. She also manages--finally--to spot a barely-visible Watt, and a plant-like creature that...could be Omar but from this height it's tough to say. They are to the south of the road, in a cleverly-hidden alcove.

~~~~~~~Meanwhile~~~~~~~

Omar spends a bit of time looking at the tracks left by Dobson and his crew. The rain has left a serious lack of traceable material in the otherwise firm dirt. Even though he saw them disappear into the thicket, he sees no trace of their tracks. Perhaps they had a skilled ranger or druid with them. As he concludes his investigation, Watt appears outside of the rocky outcropping.

Jerid always sleeps so long after a rainy night. Did you see anyone last night?

more

13. - Top - End - #403
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jerid perches on Watt's shoulder and pecks at him in what might be a playful manner.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

Omar is startled to see Watt approaching. Apparently his senses are much keener than he realizes...

"Yes, there was a small group spying on you..."

He describes the strangers, keeping his voice low in case Watt's companion from last night is still around.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tai

Once the flyers have spotted the others far below, Tai does the hocus-pocus-mumble-jumble-that-makes-magic-work. (This is not nearly as elegant as the powers of the mind.)

"We are now invisible to prying eyes, even our own companions. If you will swoop down close enough, Alala, I can establish our mental link, and we can then return to playing high guard."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming Alala does so, Tai will mindlink with . . . (1d3)[1]
    1 = Omar
    2 = Jerid
    3 = Watt

EDIT: And the lucky winner is Omar!
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2016-03-09 at 11:48 AM.
    Custom Class

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

Watt smiles genuinely at Jerid as he listens to Omar. He asks for a bit more information--his clothing, the shape of his eyes and its colors, and with the description of the bow, Watt snaps his fingers with realization. Wasn't he the one who escaped from that first ambush after we all came together?

He asks Jerid if he has any way of detecting Dobson now or if he feels him. Suddenly, both Omar and Jerid can feel three others approaching them. Watt yelps at the recognizable jump in Jerid's demeanor. He makes himself scarce in their previous nights' rocky abode. As Watt scampers away, they can easily hear the sounds of someone rapidly bounding through the trees, but it sounds like the persons are practiced and experienced at moving through trees and brush.

Finally, Omar gets a sense that a presence wishes to link with his mind. It is a pleasant feeling, a sense that someone he trusts is making the request.

Spoiler: Omar & Jerid
    Show

There are three creatures approaching, moving rapidly and about 60 feet away, coming from the tree-line. They cannot currently be detected by vision but can be sensed and heard.

~~~~~~~Meanwhile~~~~~~~

Alala is able to make her descent with Tai and Verin without much trouble. She does notice, however, that Verin begins to feel a bit heavier than normal. Nothing that she can't manage, but one that a less maneuverable beast might have lost control over.

Spoiler: Verin
    Show

Verin feels its body change, and feels incredibly thirsty. But for beer, not water. It's almost like a primal need that is about four days overdue. It feels bigger and if it examines its also-invisible self, It'll find that where one might have a neckbristles, instead a respectably long beard that splits and trails behind its body. Verin feels a little afraid of being up this high: it feels wrong somehow.

Tai's power manages to manifest as Alala dives down, and he only has to wait for Omar to accept.

more

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

Omar feels the tingling in his brain. Tai is supposed to be some kind of mind reader...

Tai... is that you?

18. - Top - End - #408
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Verin

Spoiler
    Show
    Verin is not entirely happy with the dwarfification, however it doesn't put up too much of a fuss. Now, where to get some beer?

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Swami Monsoon View Post
    Tai... is that you?
    Hello. I'm here with Alala and . . . Verin-who-seems-to-be-going-through-changes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    While Tai cannot see Verin at the moment, with both of them mounted on Alala's back, he can surely feel the sudden change, as can Alala, no doubt. "Verin, have you been putting on weight?"

We're invisible right now, keeping watch from above. Are the rest of you alright?
    Custom Class

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jerid bristles, then takes off in an attempt to reassert his position as the hunter. Sneakily, of course. He may be young, but he wasn't stupid.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+26)[32]

(He gets an extra +4 for being tiny.)

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

In the few seconds it takes Omar to realize that Tai is communicating with him, Omar is beset by three humans with grey clothing and leather. They burst out from the tree-line, moving at a dead run that is far too fast for any normal human. They move apart from him, silent as wraiths, and two of them unfurl a tough, wet and heavy cloth. The third jumps around Omar, trying to smash him down to the ground.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show

Third humanoid initiates a Strike against Omar: (1d20+22)[27] if hits, 2d6 bludgeoning and Omar is Immobilized 1 round, no save.
    Two humanoids initiating an aided grapple with a cloth: (must beat both)
    (1d20+19)[35]
    (1d20+20)[27]

The three tell each other to move quickly: clearly, there is much at stake here.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2016-03-15 at 10:22 AM.

more

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm by the camp. There were several people spying on us last night and-- THREE MEN ATTACKING ME RIGHT NOW!

Omar dodges a wicked-looking punch but is then grabbed by the other two attackers... He whips his head around and breathes out a spray of caustic, clinging slime, trying to catch all three enemies...

Spoiler
    Show
    Use Acid breath with entangling Exhalation, 15' cone Save DC 22
    Half damage (2d6)[11]
    Those hit are Entangled for (1d4)[1] rounds, taking an extra 1d6 each round.
    Will save to avoid Shaken (Skulker) DC 15 (1d20+8)[15]

The first attack missed (unless it was a touch attack).
    The damage would not have gotten through my DR unless it was magic.
    Are those last two rolls vs. my AC or do I roll a check?
    Last edited by Swami Monsoon; 2016-03-14 at 10:59 PM.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tai

Speaking to Alala and Verin, Tai says, "I've established a link with Omar. He's being attacked by three men. It sounds like they are trying to capture rather than kill.

I suppose we could help him immediately, but we'll lose our invisibility. Another possibility, if he is overcome, would be to follow them and find their base – strike them at the heart rather than cutting off a hand."

Omar, what would you like us to do?
    he relays through their telepathic link.
    Custom Class

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Verin

"If we can get'em under control, then I can probably get one of 'em to talk, and that'll mean we have two extras. You think they have any beer?"

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jerid bristles with anger and is about to unleash his lightning breath when he hesitates. Attacking now would only get Jerid captured alongside Omar. He would have to bide his time and strike at the opportune moment. That's it. Jerid was striking at the opportune moment, not hiding like a damned coward.

Keep telling yourself that.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Saves
    Show

Reflex 1 (1d20+18)[30]
    Reflex 2 (1d20+19)[33]
    Reflex 3 (1d20+9)[25]

Omar's breath takes the one going to strike him by surprise. He hesitates for a brief moment, which makes all of the difference. Although he is not shaken by the acid-breath, he seemed daunted, if only for a brief moment. The two holding the cloth evade his breath and slam the cloth into him. They pull the cloth taut, slamming him to the ground. They twist the cloth as he falls, wrapping him expertly into the cloth before he can do much else.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2016-03-15 at 02:20 PM.

more

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

The one that paused--and missed--had paused and rubs his fists together, muttering a few words.
    Three, hit it again! We need him subdued, one of the two humans holding the cloth interjects to the third.

Upon the remark of his companion, he strikes yet again.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show

Three mutters
    Spoiler: DC 19 Listen
    Show
    Boccob, guide my hand

---
    Omar is grappled by the other two, with a 35 and 27 on their grapple checks. He can break out with two checks that meet or beat a DC 35 and a 27.
    ---
    The third attacks Omar again!
    Attack: (1d20+42)[45]
    Damage: (4d6)[17] and Omar may not take any Move Actions, no save. This strike ignores all DR but deals only Subdual Damage.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2016-03-15 at 02:41 PM.

more

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[26]
    (1d20+7)[9]
    I rolled with STR bonus + BAB... let me know if that's incorrect.

Breath (Fire) [roll]4d6[/roll]

Omar is immune to his own breath weapon and has resist 10 vs. fire (from Energy Resistance), so flames from burning fabric shuldn't be a problem.

Omar squirms but can't break free... he exhales again, this time igniting the sap... hoping that the cloth will ignite.

COME NOW! I'm in trouble... these guys are dangerous... at least three maybe more... by the camp from last night.
    Last edited by Swami Monsoon; 2016-03-15 at 04:50 PM.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Fire damage vs. cloth, if relevant (4d6)[17]

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Alala can't hear Omar's call for aid, of course... but then, she doesn't need to. She can see them hitting her ally, and reacts exactly as she's been trained to.

"Hold on, " comes the hoarse whisper to her passengers as she pulls a lance out of her saddlebags, and drops into a swoop....

Spoiler
    Show

So...

Leading the Charge stance, allowing herself (and all charging allies within 60' - which probably includes Tai and Verin, since Alala's doing their movement for them until they dismount - an extra +12 damage.
    Charging, for +2 to hit and -2 to AC.
    Power Attack 4 (-4 to hit, +8 to damage)
    And double damage for charging with a lance.
    Then she's using Battle Leader's Charge, to add an extra +10.

Net result: Attack at +15, damage at (2d6+23)x2 + 10, -2AC

"Attack" - (1d20+15)[22]
    "Damage" - (2d6+23)[28]x2 + 10
    "Initiative" - (1d20+7)[12]

Edit: And not sure if it makes a difference, but she's trying to take out one of the pinners so Omar can get free.
    Last edited by whoiam; 2016-03-15 at 06:58 PM.