New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: At the Edge of Humanity {IC}

Xylona

Bia licks her lips and looks to Xylona, who has her lips shut together in a thin line. She says nothing but stares at him for a while before shifting her attention to the town's walls. They are made out of stone, but appear no greater than about ten feet high. The town looks smaller than it likely is, and the gates are a thick, dark wood. Although they are open, most of what the party can see is a procession of armed men here. Why? she asks.

Guardsman

Why wha? The man looks confused for a few seconds before he shakes his head and chuckles. Oh, you mean the slaves? He gives a chuckle. Righ' ...Guess you're not all from round 'ere. Steosh, maybe? Only 'eard of centaurs from Steosh, but I thought they were all erm, dead. He blows out of his mouth conversationally. All the rage these days, slaves. Can't say why. Pay's good, me fam'ly is safe 'n suppor'ed.

But I gotsa ask, wha's your business? If Yer lookin' for places to stay, plenny outside of town.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2015-10-24 at 01:48 AM.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tai

"Oh, the humanity!" Tai cries out, disguised (thanks to his hat) to look like a bedraggled gnome, worn down by the misfortunes of travelling upon the highways and byways.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Disguise check, using both the Hat of Disguise and Cunning Knowledge: (1d20+23)[34].

"That, kind sir," he says, pointing to Alala, "Is my poor half-sister Alalalalalalala.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tralalalalala, lala, la, la, he thinks.

"She is no more a true centaur than I, but rather the victim of a curse most foul, placed upon her by a transmuter in Sodis, because she, being a woman of the utmost virtue, refused to share her womanly favors with him. Woe is me! Woe is us! Since that time, we have wandered, seeking a potion or talisman that might break the foul curse." He pauses to shed a few tears. "All the while, beset by slavers and hunters, who think my dear sister some brute monster. Were it not for the protection and assistance of these good souls," he indicates the rest of the party, "we never could have made it.

"May Pelor's light ever shine upon and bless them
    " he whispers, casting a beatific gaze upon them.

"We have come because I have heard from travelers we encountered upon the road, that they had found was counsel from one of the sages in your city who might be able to help us. He was an . . . elderly gentleman, quite reclusive. You may not have heard of him, as apparently he does not like to be disturbed in his studies, so while he is renowned in the circles of magi, I have heard he is but hardly known in his own town. We have simply come to consult him and perhaps refresh ourselves, before continuing on. If you would be so kind?" He finishes with a low bow.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff, likewise boosted with some Cunning Knowledge: (1d20+15)[33]

Knowing that strength of personality is not his strong suit, Tai resorts to mental meddling, as well . . .
    Spoiler
    Show
    Psionic Charm, upon our good guardsman, augmented to 5 points, so it will last ML days, rather than hours, because Tai thinks a good friendship should last. Coincidentally, this also boosts the DC to 20. Beat that, you mental midget.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Guardsman

The guardsman looks to what looks like a gnome to him, and Tai can see tears in his eyes. Rotten bastahds, they got my erm, He puffs out his cheeks again and scratches his head. Ya know, I can' remember a' the momen'. But ya 'ear what 'appened? They got themselves turned ta plants, the sorry lot. Maybe summa yer gnome fam'ly 'ad a word with them, eh?

Now as fer tha...wha'cha say? Sage? There was a gentleman come through 'ere earlier, look summat like a dwarf but tall as you 'er me and half as wide...Can' remember 'is name. Seemed ta trust 'im tho. Said 'e wan'ed ta sell things ta the slavers...

He lowers his voice a bit and continues, but 'e didn' seem tha type to 'sossiate with them. Tell ya wha, I'll do yer lot a favour: 'void these 'ere parts o' town an' 'ead East outta town an' look fer his 'emporium' as 'e called it.

And I'll not tell a soul I saw a centaur, as yer cousin is a gnome like yerself.
    He winks at Alala and says, Name's Tem. Now you lot best get a move on, or summone is like ta find you all and capture ye.

more

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

That last sounds like excellent advice. The sooner they can get out of here, the better.

Omar is intrigued by the reference to people turning into plants, but this isn't the time or the place for that discussion. He stays silent and lets the more eloquent people do the talking, every now and then tugging at his cap to make extra sure that it is firmly seated on his head...
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

When the group starts to leave, Vutha in his disguise of what looked to be more of a hired guard with long forgotten symbols from another kingdom making him look like he use to be part of an army before, puts his legs together and makes a fist with both hands as he then puts his right fist up to the left side of his chest and his left fist on his back mirroring his other arm. He then makes a slight bow to the man before straightening up and walking away with the group.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tai

After a blubbery thank you to the guard for his kindness, Tai draws off a ways with the others. "Well, it it's as bad inside as he says, he's probably saved us a bit of a bother. A more long-term problem is what to do about Alala if we are anywhere among 'civilization.'

"Do you suppose we could use a glamer-and-figment combination to make her look like a woman on a horse, instead of a woman who is part horse?
    "
    Custom Class

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Just buy me a collar to wear when we're near town, and come up with a reason why you're not willing to sell me. It's not like I've forgotten how to be a slave after an entire couple of weeks of freedom..."

It meant Alala wouldn't get to do much of the talking in civilized lands, but then, they could probably live with that.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tai

"And the reason a slave is armed is . . . ?" Tai lets the question hang in the air, not seeing how this proposed solution does not raise as many questions as it seeks to answer.
    Custom Class

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"I'm not." Alala pointed out, gesturing at where her weapons would be if she was still wearing them. Alala had dropped her weapons into her bag of holding before they reached town - along with her armor. The extra arming time was probably a decent trade for the reduced chance of needing to use her weapons in town...

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jerid grunts. He was apparently a dwarf now. Probably something to do with the dwarf's gem and his new position. It was strange. He felt a little... disappointed, which made no sense. After all, one humanoid form should be equally inferior as another.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Vutha listens and says to the both of them but more toward Alala, "I think the ring will work better for you then me now that I think about it. I can more than likely pass for a Lich cursed person then whatever the rat came up with back there."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tai

"The best stories are the most outlandish. Anything less does not exercise the talents of the storyteller.

That said, I'm not so sure the ring is powerful enough to cover it.
    "
    Spoiler
    Show
    Getting pedantic, IC RAW discussion, "On the plus side, a centaur is a 'monstrous humanoid,' so a spell like alter self could make her appear as any other creature with the same creature type, like a yuan-ti, perhaps (though I'm not sure that's getting us closer to a solution). But the disguise effect of the ring is more limited, as I understand it: it cannot alter the appearance of your body type, which is a different thing from 'creature type.' Alala's body type is a horse body with a humanoid torso. I don't think we can change that.

. . . maybe if we polymorphed her . . . "
    Custom Class

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: IC RAW discussion
    Show
    Ah, but when the DM has explicitly forbid Polymorph-like effects, and only allowed Alter Self, Alternate Form, and Wildshape, it gets trickier. I'd say an Alter Self to look like a mounted person would be reasonable for Alala.

The guard nods to the party as they make their way across the outside of the walled town. They are observed by people on the walls but they encounter no further trouble. Finally, as they cross to the east side of the town they encounter fields of various sorts and a few large buildings. In the middle of three fields rises a windmill on top of a hill.

As the party nears the windmill, they hear a large hubbub of voices. On the other side of the hill there are hundreds of cages of varying size and people seem to be bustling about. Many drive trains of people chained together, while others drive Umber Hulks and other large chitinous insects to their cages. It takes little time to notice that many of the slaves have mysterious symbols among them. Yet other cages rattle with the sounds of enraged beasts trying to exit their steel prisons in vain.

A small tree, easily only four feet tall, uproots itself and holds out six cups to each of them. Driiink, saplings. Thisss fiiine waterrr wiill saaatisfyy for a whiillee, soo driiink. Behind the sapling a barely-visible door can be seen etched into the stony framework of the windmill. Driink.

Once you have all had a drink of water, the sapling will let you pass. A smell of dust and dirt and finely-ground grains greets you. The door leads to a small room that looks to be a storage shed of some sort. It is full of barrels and Alala has trouble maneuvering through them, but it soon opens up to a large, expansive space much that no longer looks like a windmill.

A cacophany of sound greets you as does the smell of spiced incense and sweat. There are huge pits full of beasts or magical beasts and men dressed in robes of all sorts are selling them. Others have carts set up with scrolls of various kinds, and they are selling or explaining to others what seem to be glowing glyphs of parchment, the likes of which none of you have ever seen. "They never have to eat again!" one exclaims. "Long life and strength!" exclaims another. “With this Inscription, they will believe they are happy as can be!!” And so they continue.

Tai recognizes a familiar scent a moment before it is heard. I didn't expect you all back so soon. I…welcome! Honest Abdul pauses with a weak smile. I take it from your arrival so soon that your task has ...ended prematurely.

Xylona
    We had little opportunity to do anything. We attacked a group of hunters that turned out to be an ambush. The fleeing dwarf showed up and died from an attack by a warlock named Niellere. Do you know of her?

Abdul
    The trader nods, and his face becomes blank. Let's move away from this crowd to another location. If you will... He motions to many stack of crates that have formed a makeshift wall and down a corridor made of the same: boxes upon boxes. It seems as if the boxes will become a maze, but after a simple turn the boxes open up to a large tent. Outside there are a few of the four-foot saplings, erect and unmoving as trees.

He breathes a sigh of contentment and motions you all inside. I was just about to have a break from the commotion when you all showed up. Such perfect timing for an excuse to duck the crowds. So, i'm sure you all have questions, but first, what do you know about Niellere? He chuckles a little and waits on you all to talk or ask questions.

Xylona
    Xylona rolls her eyes and looks at Tai.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2015-10-26 at 01:02 PM.

more

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tai

"We know only what we see and touch, and since our foes were capable illusionists, perhaps we do not even know that.

With that disclaimer, Niellere appeared to be a half-elf, but her comrades referred to her as a cursemistress, which I understand from Spoils of the Grey Waste, means she was not elvish at all, but some sort of hag, who transformed herself over time to appear so.

As additional evidence, we have her sword, which Xylona has cleverly shielded in shapesand, and which we believe to be Niellere's focus.

Of course, the conservative thing would probably be to destroy such a focus, yet I cannot help wondering what might happen with some experimentation . . . .
    " His words wander off, and Tai -- the result of a poorly-thought-ought experiment -- seems immune to the irony of what he contemplates, or perhaps just blissfully overconfident.

EDIT: "Oh, and I should add that Niellere apparently shared an infatuation for one of her comrades -- a woman named 'Fetch,' who is supposed to be a mindrazor and was not with them during our combat.

Did I leave out anything?
    " He looks at the others.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2015-10-26 at 04:52 PM.
    Custom Class

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Xylona

My companion, Bia, was injured by Niellere's sword. Bia's ears flick at being mentioned but otherwise she stays alert and sits on the floor, close to the entrance.

There was also this... she takes out the cylindrical lozenge gem and shows it to Abdul.

Abdul

The trader's face pales, and he deftly grabs it from Xylona's hand and throws it downwards to a pouch grasped in his other hand. That gem holds blasphemous magic!! he hisses to Xylona. He quickly ties the pouch and reaches into a pocket of his large, purple robes. He pulls out a steel bauble, twists it to open it, then places the bag and the gem inside. This done, he turns to a table upon which a Bag of Holding rests, and places the bauble inside the bag.

Do not bring any here again. This is a place of rest, refuge and profit, and... He gives a very short sigh. Perhaps it is time I give you the time to ask you questions of me or tell me anything else about your day so far. I'll be able to fill in the rest.

more

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"...Could we just take it outside town and smash it, then?"

She'd never tried destroying a vessel of magic before. Still, it couldn't be that much harder than smashing the thing between two big rocks, right...?

During their trip into the sanctuary, Alala had been playing with the ring of disguise that Vutha had given her. It left her looking like her 'upper' torso was riding on a heavy warhorse. Net result, she wasn't paying too much attention to the conversation (not like most of it would be about stuff she understood, anyway...), because she was too busy staring oddly at what were apparently now her fifth and sixth legs...

A little experimentation told her she could get the 'extra legs' to move by trying to wiggle what her brain still insisted were her wings. She figured it was probably for the best if she didn't try a dismount...

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Abdul

Abdul nods. we could smash it on the ground, but what would the effects be? He turns to the Dryad and addresses her.I have a solution that you may not like but could prove useful to all of us: Xylona, I have a number of goods I must send to your former master. Perhaps you could accompany them on their journey? In fact, it would make getting there cheaper...Can you read this? He fishes around in his robes and procures a scroll which he hands to Xylona.

Xylona

Xylona closes her mouth with disapproval. A greater teleport? Perhaps...But I'd rather be outside in the world, learning and experiencing life. It would be quite a sacrifice.

Abdul

I was going to ask you all if you could fit another member into your crew, but she could perhaps stay in Xylona's absence. Her name is Verin Pak, and a Neogi at that. Underground slavers--keeping with the theme, I guess--but this one is quite the rebel.

more

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Omar frowns...

"All right, I'll be the one to ask it... What exactly is the deal with all of these slaves? You don't seem especially bothered by what's going on here."
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The former slave takes another break from trying to work out which combination of 'wing' movements operates her human ankles to answer that one.

"I didn't see anything too special, " she points out. "I don't think I've met a single person in all my life who was surprised to find out I was someone's slave. I've met a few who were surprised I existed, a few more who were shocked by me wandering the streets without a collar or chains - well, chains that haven't been turned into a weapon, anyway - but never anyone surprised I was a slave."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Abdul

Vesuviua lost well over two thirds of its population in the Cleansing. It devastated all nations, but this one the worst. They had lots of their own local industry and farming, and now they need supply. Many Hunters took jobs to find wayward people and instead of offering jobs, took slaves. It is the way it has gone. I disagree with it, but...I believe they will learn, in time.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2015-10-27 at 03:30 PM.

more

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tai

"How about this armor?" Tai shows Abdul the mysterious padded leather. "I was going to try to identify it myself, but perhaps you can more readily tell?"
    Custom Class

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Abdul

Abdul takes the black leather jacket from Tai and looks it over. He takes out some spectacles, puts them on, then takes them off with a chuckle.

For the low price 250 gold, I can fully repair this leather and tell you what it is. A rare find, indeed. The person you took it from is very unlucky.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2015-10-27 at 03:29 PM.

more

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tai

"I'm pretty sure the person we took it from is dead." Tai hands over the gold pieces from his purse.

[EDITS:] "Oh, and we have this cloak that needs repairing, too. How much for that?" Tai shows Abdul the stealth cloak taken from the hunters. "And speaking of 'dead,' is the cursemistress really dead?"
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2015-10-27 at 03:42 PM.
    Custom Class

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Abdul accepts the coin. He then takes out a small tube from his robes, and opens it up onto the leather jacket. A translucent pink liquid rolls around it entirely disregarding gravity, and when gaps, rips, or blemishes on the jacket are found some of the liquid fills in and the liquid ball becomes smaller.

As this goes on, he tells Tai
    The clever inventor of this jacket had it woven with a potent effect of Nonidentification. When worn, no one can know exactly who or what you are by any magical means, nor your alignment..and it even blocks scrying. The tricky part is...it also prevents us from knowing what magical enhancements are on the vest. I suspect it also could affect others' memories of you, but I'm not certain.
    Spoiler: now that it is fixed
    Show

don't mind the tag. It does not read "Honest Abdul"

Niellere is a powerful personality of legend. She is one of the many creatures used by mothers to scare their children. She could be known as Lady Luckless, The Witch Queen, or The Stalker... He shrugs, as if there is more that can be said. If those gems are from her minions, and Xylona's story is true, then she is quite alive and certainly not in the way you expect. And I'm afraid that's all I will tell you for free.

He looks over the cloak, and says,
    That cloak has sustained more burning damage. Nasty stuff, fire. Seventy gold or a hundred fifty and I'll give you a full vial of this repairing gel as well.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2015-10-28 at 09:08 AM.

more

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Abdul turns his attention to Jeridexeles. Now you've been fairly silent, mister dragon. Or should I say, dwarf? Did you receive a boon from the dwarf, or is this some kind of joke our friend Steelheart played upon you?

more

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Both," Jerid grouses as he shows the gem to Abdul. "What do you make of this?"

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Abdul

Abdul takes out some soft leather gloves tucked into a magificently-hidden pocket in his robe before he reaches to accept the gem from Jeridexeles. As he accepts the gem from Jerid's fingers, he cradles not as if it's fragile but as a parent might accept another's babe. He turns the gem, hefts it gingerly in his hands, and feels its facets. Neither sound nor interruption bothers him.

Abdul shifts his weight, firmly grasps the longer stem of the crystal in one hand and holds it up to the ambient lighting in the tent. He turns the gem ever so slightly and a wine-red glow refracts in paler and deeper shades onto his face.

The Lifeblood Gem. He who wields me represents the Brewers and the interests of all Dwarvenkind. I am he who knows of all beers. He turns the gem yet again, and the color casts down to the party as well as his own face. After gazing through the gem for what must be a few more minutes, he turns to Jeridexeles.

If having this gem upon your possession is a burden to you, Jeridexeles, I'll gladly take it off of your hands. The dwarves are big about commitments, however, so there may be unforeseen consequences of breaking what seems to be its bond to you.

more

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Verin Pak

Verin enters the tent. Her thorax fur is dyed in a fetching blue and green pattern and a jaunty hat sits atop her eel-like head. Her beady little eyes glitter with what could be intelligence, or madness, or humor. Hard to say. She takes one look at Alala's hooves and - given that she is roughly the size of a house cat - climbs a corner of the tent* until she's at eye level, then doffs her hat, "Verin Pak, humble neogi of the cloth, at yer service." She smiles, clearly a learned rather than natural expression on that piranha-like mouth.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming the DC would be low enough that she could take 10 on her climb check (she has a climb speed, and the opposing sides of the tent plus her spidery little 'feet' should make it relatively easy)
    Last edited by Silver Night; 2015-10-30 at 08:52 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jerid reaches for the gem but flinches visibly before he can grasp it. Abdul had used his name. His entire name. Best not draw attention to it. Jerid snatches back the gem. "Well, someone has to attend the meeting in Steelbeard's place. Once that's done, I want it gone." He'd just stay in his true form if he wanted to be short.
    Last edited by JonRG; 2015-10-30 at 04:56 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tai

"A beer brewer's gem?" Tai is nonplussed. Dwarves are strange; this is known. He dons the padded leather armor. Rat in a trench coat. Look out, world! he thinks to himself. He reforms his hat and sets it at a jaunty angle. He hands over the extra coins for the gel and repaired cloak, too. He feels little need for the armor (a powerful psychic inertial field is decidedly superior), but with this Niellere creature still about, he thinks it best to be as discreet as possible. He resolves to read up on her more when he has the chance.

"And what is that! he exclaims, as the aberrant, spider-crab-looking-thing scurries into the tent.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've added the padded leather, cloak, and gel to my character sheet, but could use some stat information – at least, what we presently know.

Knowledge (arcana?) check for more info on Niellere. He pulls out all the stops for this one, as he views her as an existential nemesis: (1d20+37)[48] – that's after spending (2d4)[6] hours studying the Book of All Knowledge for entries on her, under all of the various aliases, plus Cunning Knowledge.

Knowledge (dungeoneering) on the neogi. This one is far less critical to him (so fewer bonuses), but he likes to know about those around him: (1d20+22)[38] (again using Cunning Knowledge, as there is little reason not to). He also memorizes her scent – pretty much part of his standard procedure. A rat can't be too careful.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2015-10-30 at 09:40 PM. Reason: forgot a parentheses
    Custom Class