Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Need help understanding some of WH40K Dark Heresy 2nd edition rules.

Hey, hoping to get some answers on how Dark Heresy 2nd edition works. Besides wanting to try playing a campaign, I also am interested in using the general rule set for a Sword Art Online based game set in the Gun Gale Online VRMMO.

1. Using Models/tokens/Grid maps and WH40K terrain? Seems pretty obvious this is designed for groups to take WH40K model kits terrain, etc. So here's my question. What's the range/scale on a WH40k table using a an inches tape measurement?

Likewise, how about in a DnD like grid map with models/tokens? (I.E. for Online TTRPG program use?)

2. What's probably a good homeworld, background, and role character for a new player like myself?

3. What talents/Gear/skills should I get for said characters? I know they list recommended suggestions in the rule book, but I want to make sure there's no "trap choices" like in DnD 3.X feats. (I.E. DnD's Toughness feat)

4. How does Storm weapon quality work exactly, the wording seems a bit unclear about the number of hits. Does it mean it just flat out doubles the number of hits? or does it mean it only doubles hits, but the total number of hits scored can't exceed the weapon's fire rate? (I.E. if firing a storm bolter on full auto, does the number of hits total, bonus and regular stop at 4?)

5. Likewise, for Twin-Linked. is the bonus hit limited to just one bonus hit, or can you score multiple bonus hits for rolling really well?
    Last edited by Razgriez; 2015-09-16 at 06:47 PM.
    Final Fantasy XIV Dragoon custom avatar made by Iruka. Thanks Iruka.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Need help understanding some of WH40K Dark Heresy 2nd edition rules.

Ok, I'll bite, since nobody else has stepped in.

1: Most 40k tables are either 4'x4' or 4'x6', in my experience. In inches, that's 48x48 or 48x72. The miniatures themselves are roughly 28mm scale, which puts a space marine at 1.25" tall. D&D miniatures, as luck would have it, are 30mm scale - only slightly larger. The game system operates in meters, one of which is just over 3ft. Honestly, though, the system isn't really designed to be tied to a grid in the same way D&D is. It does still work, if you set the grid in meters.

2: Probably the simplest combination is Feral World - Imperial Guard - Warrior. Lets you build a solid character with lots of bonuses to attacking and defence, but doesn't work so well if you're looking for something that's also good outside of combat.

3: Try to buy stuff you have two matching aptitudes for. I don't think there's any 'trap' choices, except maybe Sound Constitution. A lot of things do key off attributes, though, so it's a good idea to buy advances. Also, pick melee or ranged to focus on. You can do both, but focus on one.

4: Storm is poorly worded. The simplest way do do it is to figure out how many hits you got, then double the result. Maximum hits on full auto is 8, not 4, and full auto uses 8 bullets. Storm mostly just means you can't end up with an odd number of hits, since even a basic success hits twice.

5: Twin-linked is different. Maximum one bonus hit.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently on hiatus for college purposes.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Ongoing

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Need help understanding some of WH40K Dark Heresy 2nd edition rules.

Ok, about the first question from before perhaps I should clarify. GM declares it's Encounter Time or Dungeon Crawl Investigate Under-Hive, Section B-42 time. We break out our 40k miniatures.

If we're using a standard war gaming table, scenery and all, what then does 1" convert to for In game meters? I recall there being a similar rule in 2nd Edition Warhammer Fantasy RPG, but see nothing in the 2nd ed. DH core rules.

Alternatively, if we're using a grid based tactical map, what does each square count as?
    Final Fantasy XIV Dragoon custom avatar made by Iruka. Thanks Iruka.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Sort of. The WFRP2e rule is for tactical maps with 1" squares, one of which is equal to 2 yards of in game movement. Movement between the two systems isn't really equivalent, though. In WFRP, movement is a secondary characteristic, and the base for humans is 4, which equals 8 yard (4 square) half move, 16 yards for a charge, and 24 yards for a run. In DH, movement is derived from Ag bonus, and the standard for a human is 3, resulting in 3m half move, 6m full move, 9m charge move, and 18m run. If your Ag Bonus gets boosted to 4, your move increases, and then there's the Unnatural Speed characteristic...

Anyways, the upshot of all that largely unnecessary background is that, rather than worrying about movement equivalencies between systems, the easiest method is to just count 1" as being 1m, whether it's on a tactical map or a wargaming table. Once 1" = 1m, your life is simple. If you still want direct equivalents, may the Emperor have mercy on your soul, then we'll do some metric conversions. A 30mm space marine miniature is 1.25" tall. We know from background lore that Space Marines are ~7'6" tall. Therefore, 1.25" = 7.5' = 2.3m/1.25 = 1.84m per tabletop inch. You can round this up to 2 if you like, with the downside being that unlike in WFRP2e's yards, movement in DH can be in an odd number of meters, and you'll end up with miniatures standing in the space between squares.

TL,DR: use 1" = 1m. Everyone in your group will thank you for making it uncomplicated.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently on hiatus for college purposes.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Ongoing

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing