New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default The Inquisition recruits a vampire

I decided to give another shot at running a VTM one on one game, this time from another angle.

My player previously played Edward, a perpetually depressed factory worker who immediately rejected the change and became suicidal. This of course made for a very short game.

But the player has asked me to run another game. This time he's playing Clyde, a much more active character. Clyde's response to being sired by his own biological father(now a member of the Sabbat) was anger. While Clyde was being forcefully sired, a bunch of hunters came up and drove a stake through his heart, dragged him into a church and pretty much recruited him(the leader of the local chapter, a priest, decided that Clyde would make an effective weapon against the undead).

Clyde wants revenge but he also wants to keep his head(both literally and metaphorically).

So, how might a game like this turn out?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: The Inquisition recruits a vampire

Not sure, but make sure to give him a nemesis who's an Anglican priest with regenerative powers.

More seriously, I imagine goal number one is to take out his father, and whatever other vampires the Congregation points him at, preferably using diablerie as a shortcut to enough power to take on his handlers en masse.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2015-09-19 at 08:09 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

I dont get the Protestant priest reference...

Why would the Inquisition want to use a Vampire? Arent they all abominations?

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    I dont get the Protestant priest reference...
    It's a reference to Hellsing, where the protagonist is a vampire employed by a secret Anglican agency and whose nemesis is a Catholic priest working for an rival agency of the Vatican.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

5. - Top - End - #5

HalflingPirate

Yeah I got the hellsing reference, no coincidence either... kinda borrowed the idea. :P
    True they see all vampires as abominations, and Clyde is under constant threat of decapitation. The alliance is purely tentative, and once Father Lucille is done with Clyde they will most likely destroy him. Good reason for Clyde to make himself useful for as long as possible, at least until he can escape to freedom. I kind of forsee him taking the Path of Blood as his humanity dwindles into zealotry. The player didn't feel comfortable playing an undead abomination unless said abomination was pointed at members of his own kind. So a character similar to Blade or Angel.
    Last edited by MonkeySage; 2015-09-19 at 01:20 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

[QUOTE=MonkeySage;19840362
    So, how might a game like this turn out?[/QUOTE]

Very messily, very quickly

Slightly more seriously given the Vampire's restrictions on operating in daylight and not using (or being near) anybody with True Faith and only having starting Disciplines I don't think he'd be that much use to the Inquisition in combat
    What he will be good at is infiltration. He can go places and gather information no mortal Inquisition agent ever could simply because he is a Vampire and no Vampire is ever going to think a Vampire could possible be employed by the Inquisition. (Which is probably exactly what his handlers are counting on)
    That said the Inquisition are going to want to make sure the leash on him is very short. Whether this is some mystical hold ( a Oath sworn on a Holy Relic that WILL kill him if he tries to run) or a bomb implanted over his heart every night is up to you
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Not sure, but make sure to give him a nemesis who's an Anglican priest with regenerative powers.
    Don't be silly, an Anglican priest would want to know why he considers himself special compared to all the other sinners

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    It's a reference to Hellsing, where the protagonist is a vampire employed by a secret Anglican agency and whose nemesis is a Catholic priest working for an rival agency of the Vatican.
    Really? I need to see this now.

On track, I agree with everybody who said 'messy'. Somebody's blood is going to leave their body.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I see two very different ways this could play out.

First would be the more episodic "hunt of the week" type. A bit blade-like. In that he uses vampire powers to hunt vampires. High combat with some detective work. A good way to show the various wierd and wacky of the WoD plus can easily mix other satanspawn like beastmen, wraiths etc as targets.

Second option would be more philosophical. He infiltrate the Sabbatt in order to find a big meetup that the inquisition can crash or to develop leads for other inquisitors to hunt. And then play around with the idea that perhaps the sabbat is right. Go into why the followers of various roads/path believe what they do and make it at least somewhat appealing. Make the idea of sacrificing the churchmen a possibility. Ask questions of tribal allegiance and the like (now that you are a vampire who are "your people", revenge? Against who? His father or his heavenly father?, place in metaphisical universe, who is using him more the vampires or the humans? Freedom of choices vs duties vs threats vs debts). It could be a very dark, talky game-a battle for the soul more than lives.
    Last edited by sktarq; 2015-09-19 at 01:52 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Really? I need to see this now.
    For that specific reference, look for the television anime called Hellsing, as opposed to the manga Hellsing or the original video animation called Hellsing Ultimate - the priest in question, Alexander Anderson, is much more prominent in the former, where in the latter two Alucard's main opponents are Nazis.

It's good if you like cheesy fighting shows with invincible heroes and ludicrous gibs.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Griffon

He sounds a lot like Nyte Blayde from the Saint's Row series to me. You could go with that route.

Eventually, he should find his way to freedom from the church before they kill him. It's the height of drama! It should be interesting if the non-vampire people hunting him are genuinely well-intentioned and heroic.

Please no "Catholic vs. Protestant". That's been done to death, and isn't actually interesting.
    Last edited by Hawkstar; 2015-09-19 at 10:35 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

HalflingPirate

I might be wrong, but what are the odds that a character like Clyde, who at this point probably has no good reason to like vampires other than being one, might sympathize with the Path of Blood?

That the Assamites might take him in at some point?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Given its going to be fairly obvious to Clyde that the Inquisition are going to kill him once he's no more use to them I can see him being prepared to say he believed anything if it would get him away from them

P.S.
    One of the tenants of the Assamites is that they are there to protect the innocent of Humanity from other Vampires. For someone who has had to spend time undercover among the Sabbat, observing the atrocities they inflict on mortals for fun this could be a very attractive idea
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem