A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,490 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    Aurora makes her presence known on the upper landing with devastating efficacy. A Tiefling falls, nearly bisected by the dimly glowing blade, to rise no more. One of the cultists succumbs to the combined forces of Elrembriel's wand and Waylan's bow. Filburn and Irabeth charge up the stairs, encouraged by their allies' success, while Morevek continues to try to shake off the debilitating fear.

    The foes begin to waver. One cultist steps away from Filburn's charge, pulling out a scroll. Even as the parchment disintegrates, the bard feels the feeble grasp of some profane magics. For a moment, he seems to suffer from the same malady that has befallen Morevek. Without a word, he glances to his companions, and is bolstered by Aurora and Irabeth's mere presences. His resolve strengthened, he casts the thoughts aside.

    The two Tielfings atop the stairs continue to fire their crossbows. One strikes Elrembriel, while the other continues to demonstrate his ineptitude (Elrembriel takes 7 damage).

    Bottom of round 13

    Map updated

  2. - Top - End - #1472
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    From his position near the top of the steps, Waylan spins around and returns fire at the crossbowmen that have been harrying Elrembriel - he sends two arrows speeding towards them at point-blank range!

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Full-attack to Rapid Shot at T11:

    concealment 1(1d100)[75]
    atk1 (1d20+8)[10] (+1 PBS, +1 courage, -2 RS), cc (1d20+8)[14] (20/x3), dmg (1d8+4)[8], cdmg (2d8+8)[23]

    concealment 2(1d100)[28]
    atk2 (1d20+8)[20] (+1 PBS, +1 courage, -2 RS), cc (1d20+8)[23] (20/x3), dmg (1d8+4)[8], cdmg (2d8+8)[13]

    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Waylan Henrickson
    Human Cleric 4 LG
    HP 35 / 40 Speed ft Init 6
    AC 19 Fort 5 Ref 5 Will 7
    CMB +4 BAB 3
    +1 Composite Longbow +8 (1d8 + 2, x3)
    Sickle +4 (1d6 + 1, x2)
    Cold Iron Arrows (, )
    Blunted Arrows (, )
    Dagger +4 (1d4 + 1, 19-20/x2)
    +1 Arrows +9 (+11) (1d8+3 (1d8+2d6+5) , )
    Str 12 (1) Dex 18 (4) Con 12 (1) Wis 16 (3) Int 12 (1) Cha 10 (0)
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

  3. - Top - End - #1473
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    Spoiler: Round 14, Filburn's Status
    Show
    Filburn Crow
    Male Neutral Good Half-Elf Bard, Level 4, Init 8, HP 35/44, Speed 30 ft. base
    AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 20, Fort 4, Ref 6, Will 4 (+1 vs Fear), CMB +8, Base Attack Bonus 3
    +1 Falcata +6 (1d8+8, 19-20/x3) (Arcane Strike)
    Masterwork Chain Shirt, Masterwork Light Steel Shield (+4 Armor, +1 Shield, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 20, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 12
    Condition Arcane Strike
    Inspire Courage 3/11 rounds

    "Stand firm, friends! We are surrounded by allies and the enemy fall!" says Filburn, a subtle power in his voice as he steps forward and slashes at the remaining cultist deliberately.

    Spoiler: Combat Mechanics
    Show
    Activate Arcane Strike
    Maintain Inspire Courage
    5-ft step to Q43
    Attack the remaining cultist: Flacata +1 (1d20+6)[15] attack, (1d20+6)[22] (19-20/x3), (1d8+8)[13] magical slashing damage, (2d8+16)[30] critical strike damage

  4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    The crusader

    Stepping over the fallen bodies, Aurora presses on with the attack. She rushes towards the crossbowmen, determined to stop the rain of bolts at her allies.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Move to O43 at the risk of an AoO if C7 is still in the fight.
    Attack T12 (incl +1 Inspire Courage, _+1 Celestial Crusader)
    Radiance (1d20+11)[26] damage (1d8+6)[7] cc(30+) (1d20+11)[16] cd (1d8+6)[13]

    Spoiler: stats
    Show
    Aurora Pelleas
    F LG Aasimar Paladin, Level 4, Init 2, HP 27/52, Speed 30
    AC 23, Touch 11, Flat-footed 22, CMD 19, Fort 7, Ref 4, Will 7, CMB +8, Base Attack Bonus 4
    +1 Cold Iron Longsword Radiance +9 (1d8+5, 19-20/x2)
    Cold Iron Lucern Hammer (Brace, Reach) +8 (1d12+6, x2)
    Chakram +5 (1d8+4, x2)
    Full Plate + 1, Light Shield +1 (Cold Iron Spike) (+10 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 17
    Conditions and effects Mutilation, Longstrider, Inspire Courage (not included in stats above, but in rolls)



    The elf girl

    Renewed blood floods from Elrembriel's thigh when she grimly pulls the bolt off it. Wincing, she nevertheless retaliates, with more deadly missiles from her wand. Then, she opens her cloak briefly, and whispers a few incomprehensible words. The owl, Sruech'ul, flies out, and swoops in to grab one of the fallen cultists' weapon.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Elrembriel: no move, Magic Missile (3d4+3)[8] at T11 (unless he's down, in which case the target is T12).
    Sruech'ul: fly to land in R43, pick up weapon from the unconscious cultist there. (Next round the plan is to drop it into the room below).

    Spoiler: stats
    Show
    Elrembriel
    Elf Wizard 4 N
    HP 17 / 28 Speed ft Init 4
    AC 17 Fort 1 Ref 4 Will 5
    CMB +1 BAB 2
    Acid splash +5 (1d3+1 acid, 20/x2)
    Dagger, cold iron +1 (1d4-1, 19-20/x2)
    Str 8 (-1) Dex 16 (3) Con 11 (0) Wis 12 (1) Int 21 (5) Cha 10 (0)

    Spells in effect: Detect Magic, Message, Mage Armor
    Prescience uses remaining: 3/8
    Wand of Magic Missile L5: 17/31
    Memorized spells remaining: Detect Magic, Light, Message, Open/Close, Detect Secret Doors, Snowball, Detect Thoughts, Monster Summoning II, Mirror Image

    Familiar: Sruech'ul, male Owl
    Tiny animal
    Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +10
    AC 17, touch 15, flat-footed 14 (+3 Dex, +2 size, +2 natural)
    hp 10
    Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +5
    Speed 10 ft., fly 60 ft. (average)
    Melee 2 talons +5 (1d4–2)
    Space 2-1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
    Str 6, Dex 17, Con 11, Int 7, Wis 15, Cha 6
    Base Atk +1; CMB +2; CMD 10
    Feats Weapon Finesse
    Skills Fly +7, Perception +12, Stealth +20; Racial Modifiers +4 Perception, +4 Stealth
    Skill ranks from master: Craft(Alchemy) 1, Knowledge(Arcana) 3, Knowledge(Planes) 3, Sense Motive 3, Spellcraft 3, Use Magic Device 3
    Familiar features: Alertness, Share Spells, Empathic Link, Improved Evasion, Deliver Touch Spells
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2017-09-13 at 09:57 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #1475
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    The heroes continue to press their advantage, little by little gaining more of a foothold on the second floor. Nothing and no one else seems to be arriving to aid the cultists' stand, though surely the entire garrison must be alert to your presence by now. Whatever the remaining denizens are up to, they consider it a better use of their time than confronting you directly.

    The foes continue to fight as only desperation can inspire. Despite the odds, the bloody Tiefling struck by both Aurora's blade and Waylan's arrow steps away from the former and connects with a well aimed crossbow bolt (Aurora takes 8 damage).

    In the next moment, the remaining conscious cultist utters a vile curse. "Deskarl take you!" A wave of pure evil cascades over both the party and the remaining foes. With a cry, the injured Tiefling succumbs to his 'ally's' attack, even as the party grimaces from the pure wrongness (All but Morevek take 4 damage).

    Bottom of round 14
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Nat 20 from the crossbow shooter is the only way he can hit Aurora. :-p

    Channel energy for 9. Everyone passed. Morevek isn't in range.


    Map updated

  6. - Top - End - #1476
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    Spoiler: Round 15, Filburn's Status
    Show
    Filburn Crow
    Male Neutral Good Half-Elf Bard, Level 4, Init 8, HP 31/44, Speed 30 ft. base
    AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 20, Fort 4, Ref 6, Will 4 (+1 vs Fear), CMB +8, Base Attack Bonus 3
    +1 Falcata +10 (1d8+8, 19-20/x3) (Arcane Strike)
    Masterwork Chain Shirt, Masterwork Light Steel Shield (+4 Armor, +1 Shield, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 20, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 12
    Condition Arcane Strike
    Inspire Courage 4/11 rounds

    "Finish this piece of filth! Then we must deal with his fallen companions and keep moving," says Filburn as he steps around the remaining enemy to make more room for his allies.

    Spoiler: Combat Mechanics
    Show
    Activate Arcane Strike
    Maintain Inspire Courage
    5-ft step to P43
    Attack the remaining enemy: Flacata +1 (1d20+10)[30] attack, (1d20+10)[23] (19-20/x3), (1d8+8)[16] magical slashing damage, (2d8+16)[24] critical strike damage

  7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    Waylan steps forward, finally gaining the full height of the second level, and sends two arrows streaking at the remaining cultists.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    5ft step forward, if a space is available, and then full-round action to Rapid Shot at the two most-bloodied enemies:

    concealment 1 (1d100)[20]
    atk 1 (1d20+8)[27] (+1 PBS, +1 courage, -2 rapid), cc (1d20+8)[15] (20/x3), dmg (1d20+4)[23] (+1 PBS, +1 courage), cdmg (2d8+8)[15]

    concealment 2 (1d100)[84]
    atk 2 (1d20+8)[28] (+1 PBS, +1 courage, -2 rapid), cc (1d20+8)[25] (20/x3), dmg (1d20+4)[9] (+1 PBS, +1 courage), cdmg (2d8+8)[18]

    Oops, messed up arrow damage. Rolls from OOC are dmg1 10 and dmg2 11.

    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Waylan Henrickson
    Human Cleric 4 LG
    HP 31 / 40 Speed ft Init 6
    AC 19 Fort 5 Ref 5 Will 7
    CMB +4 BAB 3
    +1 Composite Longbow +8 (1d8 + 2, x3)
    Sickle +4 (1d6 + 1, x2)
    Cold Iron Arrows (, )
    Blunted Arrows (, )
    Dagger +4 (1d4 + 1, 19-20/x2)
    +1 Arrows +9 (+11) (1d8+3 (1d8+2d6+5) , )
    Str 12 (1) Dex 18 (4) Con 12 (1) Wis 16 (3) Int 12 (1) Cha 10 (0)
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2017-09-13 at 09:37 PM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

  8. - Top - End - #1478
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    Filburn and Waylan demonstrate in no uncertain terms their competence with their chosen weapons. In the space of a heartbeat, the two remaining foes falter and are overcome. Filburn's blade leaves something more resembling two halves of a cultist on the ground, while Waylan's arrow takes the remaining Tiefling through the throat. As they fall, a distinctly uncomfortable silence settles on the upper floors of the Gray Garrison....

    End of Combat

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Whew, that one was a doozie! There are still 3 unconscious foes to be dealt with, but nothing is actively resisting anymore, so we can move on once you settle them.

  9. - Top - End - #1479
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    "Well done, comrades. The Light shall overcome, as it always does, in the end", Aurora says simply. The paladin is covered in blood, her own as well as her opponents'. Her step doesn't falter, but it is clear another such fight would be too much for her battered body.

    "Don't forget these three, they'll recover shortly." That the frail elf wizard's wounds are still bleeding doesn't seem to slow her down as she bends down to search the unconscious cultists, relieving them of any symbols, weapons, or tools. "These are prisoners, right?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    HP
    Aurora: 15/52
    Elrembriel: 13/28

  10. - Top - End - #1480
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    Waylan says nothing for a few moments, breathing heavily as he recovers those arrows he can and closes the eyes of the deceased. "Prisoners? There is no time, my dear, and no way. They just tried to kill us, and they even drew upon the unholy power of Deskarl!!" The name twists in his mouth, like a curse. "All of Kenarbres - nay, the entire Realm - will be better off with them gone. It's distasteful, but it must be done..." He looks to the Aurora and Irabeth for confirmation before helping to dispatch the unconscious foes.

    The grisly task complete, he produces his holy symbol and beckons the party to gather round. "We must give thanks to Erastil and Iomedae for shielding us in the light. Let us ask their blessing in the trials still to come..." He leads the group in a short prayer as he draws upon his last reserves of divine energy, mending the wounds of his most injured allies as best he can.

    Spoiler: Healing
    Show
    Do this after the unconscious cultists are resolved, either by killing or binding.

    Channel Positive Energy (last one today): (2d6)[10] HP

    Convert Lesser Restoration into CMW and heal Aurora for (2d8+4)[13] HP

    Convert Comprehend Languages into CLW and heal the next-most-injured party member (1d8+4)[10] HP (speak up if you're claiming this!)

    Convert Protection from Evil into CLW and heal the next-most-injured party member (1d8+4)[5] HP (speak up if you're claiming this!)
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

  11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    "These wretched manipulators of evil don't deserve our mercy, not in the middle of battle. They have forsaken their souls to the demons, let them have their reward for this."

    Dagger in hand, a grim Aurora proceeds to ease the unconscious cultists into the afterlife.

  12. - Top - End - #1482
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    The haze of fear lifts from Morevek's addled mind, and he stands straight once more, shaking his head vigorously as to clear cobwebs. Vaulting up the stairs, he is greeted by the sight of the foes, felled by magic or injury, growing still on the floor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    "These are prisoners, right?"
    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "All of Kenarbres - nay, the entire Realm - will be better off with them gone. It's distasteful, but it must be done..."
    "Indeed. Less... committed foes would hardly have staged such a defense, and time is precious." remarks the tiefling matter-of-factly. "[A mercifully quick death is... a luxury they would not likely have afforded us, were our positions reversed." Without further ado, Morevek begins to methodically work his way through the mess of strewn bodies, prepared to deliver swift ends to those still clinging to life with almost disinterested swipes of his gleaming blade.

    At the conclusion of this grim work, Morevek cleans and polishes the blade of his katana on a scrap of cloth cut from a clean portion of a fallen foe's outergarment before looking up to Irabeth. "It seems that we have... lost the advantage of surprise. You know this place better than us... what next?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    As discussed in Hangout chat, it has been floated that we should maybe court Iomedae's more direct favor by addressing the more egregious instances of defacement in the barracks thus far. Irabeth has shown some visible distress at our lack of so doing, so I'm hoping the DM can perhaps weigh on that and give us an IC direction to that effect from Irabeth?
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2017-09-14 at 02:35 PM.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

  13. - Top - End - #1483
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    "Next, I would suggest we pretend to retreat. Let's go downstairs, out of earshot. I suspect there might be an easier path up, and if there is I can try to find it. If we stay here and go the obvious route up, we'll get ambushed at every door." Elrembriel is pale as she looks on the slaughter of the enemy cultists, but her words over the messaging spell are firm enough.

  14. - Top - End - #1484
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    As soon as the enemies are all dead Filburn drags the fallen downstairs and begins a pile. "We have definitely lost the element of surprise.
    That doesn't mean we have much time, though. Check them out quickly while someone guards the way down,
    " he says, businesslike. Then, he begins to do exactly as he has advised, rifling through the possessions of the dead cultists quickly. "We should check the other rooms too. Someone see to that..."

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Take 10 on Perception checks for a 19 while searching the dead. If no one else has done so by the time he is done, Filburn will then return to the previous rooms and take 10 in each of the ones we haven't already searched.

    Do we as PCs know of any other ways upstairs? How about Irabeth? Are there any obvious portions of the building that might hold a secret stairway that we can use or that might allow enemies to ambush us from behind?

  15. - Top - End - #1485
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    As soon as the group repairs to the lower floor with their loot, Elrembriel begins to explore every room in turn, a ditty on her lips.

    "D'un passage mystérieux
    Je soupçonne la présence.
    La magie, pour mes yeux
    Est d'une grande assistance..."


    Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Detect Secret Doors and explore all rooms, starting with the temple of Iomedae and working clockwise. The spell lasts 4 min and it takes only 1 round to detect the presence of a door in a 60 ft cone, so I expect it should be possible to cover at least one floor.

  16. - Top - End - #1486
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    As the party scavenges from the fallen, Irabeth shakes her head slowly. "If there is another way up, I am unaware of it," she offers with an expression of shared unhappiness.

    Spoiler: Loot!
    Show
    Between them, the 4 cultists and 6 Tieflings have:
    2x potions of CLW
    2x scrolls of cause fear
    4x scrolls of comprehend languages
    4x unholy water
    4x each: mwk chain shirt, mwk scythe, unholy symbol
    6x each: studded leather, short sword, light crossbow

    87 gold pieces


    As the party makes their way downstairs, they quickly stumble upon the, now visible, still deceased form of the alchemist who harried them so in the temple.

    Spoiler: Moar loot!
    Show
    He had: (please ID these as required)
    2x potions of CLW
    1x potion of barkskin
    1x potion of spider climb
    +1 leather armor
    ring of protection +1
    4x silver holy symbols (Iomedae twice, Shelyn, Desna)


    In the temple proper, Elrembriel makes her incantation. Almost instantly, the presence of a secret door draws her attention to the other end of the room, beyond the ruined, desecrated altar and the hideous mass of stitched-together flesh.

  17. - Top - End - #1487
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    "I knew it!" Elrembriel exclaims, and the excitement of a child is briefly audible in her young, chipper tone. Still, she keeps enough control to remember using the Message channel, so as not to give a warning to any keen ears that might be listening to them from upstairs. "I can open this... now!" Moments later, she determines the opening mechanism.

    "Shall we?"

    "We shall, but first, we can't leave the temple like this, and the remains of the fallen used in such a way. Iomedae will understand that we left this in place in the midst of battle, but now is the time to bring respect back to Her." Aurora, in a hurry, begins the grim task of removing the stitched-up remains from the autel, and restore it to at least its upright position and a modicum of cleanliness.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2017-09-17 at 07:06 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #1488
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    Elrembriel hurries past the altar to examine the source of her arcane inspiration, even as Aurora gently chastises the wizard's haste. As Aurora approaches, the undeniable smell of rotting flesh assails her senses (along with those of others nearby). The grotesque mass- something of an insectoid 'statue' stitched together from portions of clearly human origin- is truly enormous. Easily 8 feet in length, with a greater girth than the average man, the sheer weight of flesh makes it prove unwieldy at best. Coupled with unreliable gripping points due to its odd shape, pieces tending to tear at random, and... fluids that the heroes try to put from their mind, it almost immediately becomes clear that any shred of propriety will be a noteworthy task to accomplish.

    Elrembriel, for her efforts, quickly discovers a faintly glowing rectangular outline. It's as if the wall knows that the party is here for noble purpose, and desires to reveal its hidden secrets to you. However, as you further inspect the area, no apparent opening mechanism reveals itself. Clearly, powerful magic is at work. Elrembriel continues to focus, allowing her magical sight to penetrate the outermost shell of the door's protective auras. She places her hand against the seam, and begins to trace the doorway's edges. Almost immediately, she falls unconscious.

    Spoiler: Elrembriel only
    Show
    One moment, the door fills your vision. It makes itself known to you even while hiding its truest secrets. Your hands gently trace the doorway, while your eyes see the masterful hinges and glides beneath the stone. The quality of handiwork is exceptional, even for a place that clearly warranted the most skilled of craftsmen.

    A flash of light erupts behind your eyes, blinding you, and casting your world into darkness so deep even your ancestral heritage fails to penetrate its depths. A voice fills your head, echoing and ringing with undeniable force. For a moment, it almost feels as if your brain will burst, the sensation is so great.

    "Girl." The word echoes for a heartbeat- you still have a pulse, that's a good sign! "Why do you invade my sanctum?"
    Spoiler: Everyone else *only*
    Show
    The event taking place with Elrembriel is similar to the movie "Contact." She will experience minutes or hours as necessary, based on the progression of her encounter. From your perspective, she will regain consciousness almost as quickly as she lost it. There won't be sufficient time past to fret much about her state. Surprise and concern will be in order, but not an awful lot past that.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I have a few questions for everyone (else, as applicable).
    1: Did you leave the fallen cultists and Tieflings upstairs? That space will continue to be difficult terrain until they are moved somewhere else (which itself will then be either difficult terrain or impassible).
    2: What are your characters doing right now? Specific details about which rooms you're inspecting and what you're looking for while there is in order.

    A brief recap:
    -The guards were two erstwhile humans infested with demonic influence. The demonic influence melted away; the husks that were once people did not.
    -There is a defaced frieze in the foyer.
    -There are marred portraits in the meeting hall, along with a few smashed marble planters.
    -The demons befouled the small shrine with mud and excrement, its small alter broken into pieces.
    -You found the bodies of two knights in the museum. Demons used their heads as projectiles when Aurora opened the door.
    -There was once an elegant woodwork rail along the stairway. The demons destroyed it almost in full, leaving splinters scattered on the floor below (I should perhaps have treated some of that area as difficult terrain or caltrops, but you got off easy! ).
    -The demons thoroughly abused the temple proper. They partially smashed or otherwise defaced 6 stone statues, upturned the alabaster altar, and desecrated it with a hideous figure stitched together of human flesh. They smeared the floors with blood and filth, and used the room as if a rat's nest- even sleeping under the metaphorical shadow of the insectoid figure.
    -The alchemist made use of the priest's chambers as his own space. You haven't actually had time to investigate it yet, as your only entrance prior to now was in the midst of combat. In the interest of timing, I'll post the description here.

    Priest's chambers: A long table and six chairs have been pushed against the western wall. Opposite them, a tapestry depicting a map of Mendev hangs from a silver rod. The tapestry has been slashed several times, though its usefulness spared it full destruction. A single bedroll lies near a table covered with alchemical devices. A long wooden sword case lies among the paraphernalia, wrapped with cord as if for careful transportation.
    Spoiler: Loot!
    Show
    The alchemical equipment is, in fact, a masterwork alchemy lab.
    Spoiler: Only if you open the swordcase
    Show
    It's a +1 evil outsider bane longsword. It's also Irabeth's father's heirloom blade! She'll be pretty stoked about this.
    Spoiler: Paper in the swordcase
    Show


  19. - Top - End - #1489
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    Spoiler: in Elrembriel's mind
    Show
    Elembriel is struck dumb for a few moments. Incoherent thoughts fill her mind, dreams of falling, a vision of the face of the demon touching her scarred cheek, the sight of piles of bodies left to rot in Kenabres' streets.

    The voice nearly strikes her deaf as well as blind, but brings her thoughts back to a semblance of order.

    "Er... Hum... I was hoping to find a hidden passage towards the floors upstairs."

    The silent wait, after this, gives her a clue that more detail might be expected.

    "I, er, suppose I ought to explain. More... Hum. Well, the city... fell. Demons attacked, the wardstone was broken. Dead people, children... everywhere, the destruction... A few crusaders came to the mongrel village, down below... They were kind to my friends, they explained what had happened. I decided to join them. We came back to the city, there is a small group of people... Trying to resist.

    Now the demons have taken the garrison, and Irabeth, that's the resistance leader... She thinks they're trying to do something to a fragment of the wardstone that they have. So we attacked. There was a big fight to get to the second floor... Demon worshipers everywhere. We won, but there must many more, surely... I thought, maybe we should find a secret passage or something, to try to get behind them. So, er, I, went to look here."


    She ends, rather embarrassed at the jumbled manner she just put her story. Then, a thought strikes.

    "Er, hem, if this is your sanctum... then, you're the goddess? The one they call, er... Inheritor?"

  20. - Top - End - #1490
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

    Spoiler: In Elrembriel's Mind
    Show
    "My names are many," the thunder replies. "The Inheritor is one.."

    For several long moments, Elrembriel is forced to consider whether or not she has truly been struck deaf. The sheer depth of the void she now 'perceives' threatens to swallow her, casting her analytical mind into nothingness from which she may never escape. After what feels like an eternity, your senses once more erupt with unimaginable sound.

    "Even against demons, subterfuge is to be condemned, for those who abuse it are no better than the darkness against which they purportedly strive. Why do you seek such among my sanctum?"


    Also, I just noticed that we're rapidly approaching the end of page 50! Please consider this thread closed, and take your business elsewhere!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •