New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Question [3.5] Ring of Force/Free Hand?

This didn't get any traction in the Simple RAW thread, so I'll repost here:

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 625

Does using a Ring of Force Shield allow the hand with the "shield" active to be used for other things, such as wielding a two-handed weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by SRD Ring of Force Shield
    An iron band, this simple ring generates a shield-sized (and shield-shaped) wall of force that stays with the ring and can be wielded by the wearer as if it were a heavy shield (+2 AC). This special creation has no armor check penalty or arcane spell failure chance since it is weightless and encumbrance-free. It can be activated and deactivated at will as a free action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Explorer's Handbook p.155
    Many elite Dhakaani soldiers used rings of force shield so they could wield two-handed weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Official FAQ p.59
    Does the shield of force created by the ring of force shield (DMG 232) require a free hand to use, or can I use it when wielding two weapons or a two-handed weapon?
    The item is silent on the issue, so the Sage believes it appropriate to assume that the ring’s shield functions just like a normal heavy shield (except for the lack of armor check penalty or arcane spell failure chance). Thus, it requires a free hand to gain the shield’s benefit.
    Of course, a character wielding a weapon in that hand could activate the ring after making his attacks for the round (thus gaining its benefit while enemies attack) and deactivate it at the start of his next turn (allowing attacks with that hand). While you wouldn’t be able to use the shield hand to make attacks of opportunity while the shield was active, you’d otherwise be nearly as effectively protected as if the shield were active continuously
    Oddly enough, I tend to lean towards the FAQ answer, but I'm interested in different viewpoints.

Cheers - T

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Ring of Force/Free Hand?

Seems to me they just mean for protection. Using it as suggested in the FAQ, holding the weapon with one hand outside of attacking.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

FAQ seems to be correct for once. The shield is wielded as a heavy shield except for the specific exceptions the item states. Not needing a hand to use it is not one of the exceptions.

But again, as the FAQ states, you can put a hand on/off a two-hander as a free action, and activate the ring as a free action. So as long as you aren't attacked in the middle of your action or trying to do something off turn with the shield, you should be fine.

While you didn't ask I think the ring is pretty bad; for a little bit more gold you can get a +1 animated heavy shield, which gives +3 ac and can be further enhanced with shield properties or more AC or buffed with magic vestment, etc. Even if you want to get the ASF or ACP down to zero, it only costs a little bit more than that still, and it doesn't take up a valuable, valuable ring slot.
    Last edited by Zanos; 2021-11-29 at 06:24 PM.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I lean toward the other answer: I think it's pretty obvious the Ring of Force "Shield" is not a shield in any way at all, and it is simply a near formula nonstandard bonus. Particularly in 3.5 where the "Shield" spell just gives you +4 shield bonus with no inconvenience whatsoever. In fact, the Ring of Force Shield should be less encumbering than the Shield spell, since the ring explicitly pops in an out of existence at your whim while the Shield spell is just hanging there in front of you (unless you add a further head canon that the Shield spell swings out from in front of you at your whim).

I might check some books (Tome and Blood, Arms and Equipment Guide, Magic of Faerun? Both DMGs I suppose.) for early discussions on item pricing and adding new items to the game to see if they mention the ring specifically, 'cause I feel like I might have had more than just the price backing that up.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Looking up "wield" in various dictionaries, when it's used for objects rather than abstract concepts nearly all of them use words like "hold" or "handle" rather than just "use", so I'd say the most consistent reading would be that you need a hand to wield something.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree with the FAQ. But I don't think it would be a balance issue to house-rule otherwise.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Can you shield bash with it?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TiaC View Post
    Can you shield bash with it?
    "as if it were a heavy shield" - no exceptions for shield bashing, so theoretically, yes.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.