New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Looking for a monster

This is a standard pseudo-medieval fantasy game.

Here's the setting: there's a ruined fortress built on a coral atoll, completely covering it. It's several days out to sea and inaccessible from the water without ropes or a ladder. The whole place is a crumbling ruin and a nest for a trio of harpies and a couple wyverns. What I'm looking for is a swarm/colony of small winged creatures that can serve as the weaker, numerous threat that follows the harpies or wyverns whenever they leave to hunt.

I was thinking something bat-like maybe...? It doesn't matter what game or edition since I homebrew almost of my monsters anyways (monster manuals are "just guidelines"), just looking for inspiration.
    Thanks for the help!

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Looking for a monster

Giant bats is possible, or flying Monkeys if you feel like doing a shout-out to the Wizard of Oz, or scavenger birds of any sort (you can make them more monstrous by adding weird colors, bulging eyes and teeth). Young Arrowhawks maybe ? Or Vargouilles.

But I'd probably go with small flying (or gliding) snakes, it fits the wyvern theme.
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

3. - Top - End - #3

DwarfBarbarianGuy

It might be helpfull if you told us which game you play, and if it's D&D the edition might help too...

Harpies, as depicted in D&D, are actually more like sirens. (The original greek version of the siren, at least.) So traditionally, they would use their song to lure sailors to the reefs. Tactically, it might actually be better to let the harpies lure innocent adventurers to a nearby monster that is immune to sonic effects.
    Another option is a harpy that attracts seamonsters towards ships and then stops singing so the monsters can attack the ship.

If you're using Pathfinder you can very easily add the Sorcerer or Bard template from the Monster Codex to make a harpy more dangerous.
    Trailblazer has options for D&D 3.5 to do the same.

4. - Top - End - #4

DwarfFighterGuy

Technically the edition I play is a hybrid of 2nd and 3.5 D&D. I do like the idea of young arrowhawks, or maybe one of the weirder strains of giant bat or bird. I love flying snakes but I've got a plan for them already, so I don't want to use them just yet. Thanks for the input!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

You want something small that flies around and scavenges? Seagulls.

What? A little more monstrous? A wyrmling dragon who one day intends to drive the other creatures off and claim the atoll as its own.
    Spoiler: Quotes from the Playground
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    In fact, I will here formally propose the Zeroth Rule of Gaming: No rule in any game shall be interpreted in a way that breaks the game if it is possible to interpret that rule in a way that does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Good old Jes, the infamous Doppelganger MILF.

(aka "The Doppelbanger")
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    Shhhhh, shhhhhh. Be calm, inhale the beholder's wacky float gas and stop worrying.

Adapting published monsters to Eberron: Naturalist's Guide to Eberron Latest: Annis Hag

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Why not stirges? Or even dire stirges?!
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Gargoyles? Imps?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Regitnui View Post
    You want something small that flies around and scavenges? Seagulls.

What? A little more monstrous? A wyrmling dragon who one day intends to drive the other creatures off and claim the atoll as its own.
    Dire Seagulls.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Studoku View Post
    Dire Seagulls.
    Ahhh, I was gonna say that.

Although I also like the idea of something a little more exotic looking, seagulls are in many ways a great fit for the scenario. They live in colonies of as big as you like, they make loads of noise, they are fully capable of attacking creatures in and probably under water (if not, dire seagulls are) and especially the bigger ones can be pretty vicious, for such a common bird. I ones saw one getting ice cream by flying low over a 12 year old boy screaming and scaring the kid into raising his hands as cover and dropping the ice cream. That's pretty impressive given the size difference (these gulls are about 2 foot long and weigh 6 pounds at the most). A D&D-small (or tiny, if that's the flavor you're looking for) flying creature with a good peck attack, a decent dexterity bonus, an exaggerated version of that ice-cream kind of behavior and maybe some attack where they drop a rock or something from just outside of melee range, that'd be pretty cool. For extra flavor, make them work in pairs. One distracts while the other attacks, and when you kill one of them the other one goes absolutely mad.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you have "only" non-monstrous creatures, you could use a swarm to make them more dangerous (Ravens, Stirges, Beetles, intelligent Beetles, Flies, bloodsucking Mosquitos, etc.)

11. - Top - End - #11

BlueKnightGuy

Attack them with a flock of seagull and they'll just run. They'll run so far away a a

12. - Top - End - #12

DwarfFighterGuy

Hahaha you guys have convinced me! I was intending to go with stirges, but dire seagulls are too great not to pass up. Picturing that scene from Finding Nemo now

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Let us know how it went.

14. - Top - End - #14

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Let us know how it went.
    Yeah. I'd be interested to hear how it turns out.

15. - Top - End - #15

DwarfFighterGuy

It went very well! I had a demented druid who had been thrown out of his order for being convinced that seagulls were the epitome of all lifeforms. He was very fond of wildshifting into a skua and hurling spells out of the swirling mass of seagulls. They swarmed PCs and nearly ko-ed 2 of them, also pushed one off a cliff and into the ocean. The PCs managed to overcome the birds with a few improvised molotovs and a lot of chopping. They've not quite forgiven me for this latest horror, and are a trifle suspicious whenever I mention seagulls haha. Mission accomplished! Thank you guys for all your help!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

*scribble, scribble*
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!