New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror

I just discovered the pathfinder settlement rules and made this

Is that spooky enough for the purposes of this thread?
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha

It looks pretty good to me! Seems like it might be a cool place to quest in- albeit really worrying. :)

Sirocco of the Last Breath{Weather of Horror}:
    There truly is magic in the act of departing. A stunning blow of silence and finality that closes the doors of the future in one last gasp. Some say that the soul leaves the body with the final sigh, wending its way to wherever it may chance to wander. But what is that last breath? Is it a release of life or a final, flailing stutter, grasping at survival? Whatever it is, whether clinging or releasing, the last of our lives are in it. Sometimes, that final spark doesn't pass by so peacefully as a sigh. Sometimes, when the gates of death are thrown wide by the lives of many, or the final gasps of the greedy and strong, that last breath clings.

The Sirocco of the Last Breath is composed of the final exhalations of the living. It is a violent gust or sudden storm that sweeps across large areas, clawing with rough, dry grasps at the throats of those who would keep their breaths within. It is hard to predict how long it will last or how far it will travel before the force that stirred it will finally let go of life. Sometimes a Sirocco will haunt a single area for a few moments, or scythe, wild and frantic, across a countryside. Those within the rushing wind find their breath torn away from them, unable to pull it back despite their choking and sputtering.

All those subject to a sirocco of the last breath are rendered unable to breathe normally, taking 1d6 points of nonlethal damage unless they make their saving throw (see below) until the storm has passed or until the creature has found cover from the wind.

Each creature so affected may make a Constitution saving throw (DC 15)/Fortitude save (DC 17) each round on its turn to regain its breath. Any creature who regains its breath may spend two consecutive rounds aiding another (CPR), allowing that creature to automatically pass its saving throw.

The area of a sirocco of the last breath is also subject to Strong Winds that automatically extinguish unprotected flames (candles torches, and the like). Such gusts impose a -2 penalty on ranged attacks and Listen checks. Tiny and smaller creatures are Knocked Down by the wind (falling prone unless they succeed on a DC 10 Fortitude save/Constitution save) and if flying, are blown back 1d6x10 feet

It is unknown if necromancy can be applied to deliberately create this phenomenon.
    Last edited by erradin; 2015-10-28 at 01:52 PM.
    "He didn't tell us that our building is an earthquake causing, apocolypse prevention machine. That definitely makes him the bad guy." ~ Peter Clines

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Updated for the 7th (little late).

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post

I see no problem with allowing ghoul-towns in.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Kurbivirens
    Physical Description: Kurbivirens are rather lithe looking fellows, only standing about 4 and a half feet tall. They look as if they weigh no more than 80 pounds at most, and their bodies are nearly pitch black, all of their limbs stretched out to radical proportions. Their fingers are long and skinny, as are their toes, but the strangest feature of them is the orange growth on their torso that appears to be a head. What seems to be a gourd of sort with decaying holes in it, if you looked deep inside a Kurbiviren's "eyes", you would see the flickering candle that guides them to do what they do.

Society: They are a largely agrarian society, forgoing most of business and trade to help populate wherever they are found. Considering they can plant themselves in the ground and come out a new person, death is nearly unheard of, save for murders.

Relations: Not many races, save for the Elves have heard of the Kurbivirens, considering their remote nature... in nature.

Alignment and Religion: Kurbivirens have no strong leaning towards any alignment, but they tend to worship gods of Nature.

Adventures: A Kurbiviren adventures because he wants to! He wants to see what the world is like outside of the farm. He wants to go out and bring glory to his home. He wants to see what wonders the world has to offer.

Names: Jack, Skell, Ossie, Bohne, Liche, Seance

Kurbiviren Racial Traits
    +2 Cha, -2 Con: Kurbivirens are cunning, but lack the proper skin to take a good punch.
    Humanoids: Kurbivirens are humanoids with the Kurbiviren subtype.
    Medium: As Medium creatures, Kurbivirens have no special bonuses or penalties due to size.
    Base Speed: Kurbivirens have a base land speed of 30ft.
    Headlight: As a swift action, Kurbivirens may switch the internal light in their head on, illuminating dim light in a 10 foot radius. This may be turned off as a free action.
    Intimidating Light:When the light in a Kurbiviren is on, as a swift action up to 1+CHA Mod times a day, they may ignite the fiery passions in their head, gaining a +3 intimidate check against anyone within 15 feet. This effect lasts for 1 round.
    Just a Pumpkin: A Kurbiviren has +4 saves against polymorph effects.
    Languages: A Kurbiviren begin play speaking Common and Undercommon. A Kurbiviren with high intelligence scores can choose from the following: Any (besides secret languages).
    Last edited by spikeof2010; 2015-10-08 at 10:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Updated for the 8th.

My own addition was fear feats, no works of horror-prose but hopefully fun.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Simply in light of one of the 3.5 forms of this appearing in Heroes of Horror, I submit this pathfinder rendition of a particular subsystem.
    Extended Signature

Guide to becoming a demon in Pathfinder

Special thanks to Gurgleflep for creating my Avatar

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

So forgot to update the OP yesterday. Added Xuldarinar's Complete Taint, as well as the Mask of Nyarlathotep (my crop for yesterday), a rogue style PrC for serving Nyarlathotep and shapeshifting, and the sort of half-baked Scarecrw Golem (my crop for today), a low level golem made from a scarecrow.

Current Projects:

8. - Top - End - #38

Hey, so I see we've slipped into the Mask theme. :) I took a look at your PrC, Zaydos, and I like it! It has a great feel to it and some really nifty abilities. Almost simultaneously- and much less expertly, I might add, I was inspired by ideas from Majora's Mask to make a PrC as well (Lord of the Masks). I'm not sure if it fits perfectly here and will leave it up to you whether or not the mask theme makes it Halloween enough.

That said, I do have some mask ideas which are more horror oriented that I wanted to post for the garden.

Sometimes, when darkness plagues the land with great numbers and ferocity, all you can do is fight back. Some have taken this more in stride than others. In an effort to beat back the darkness, some have borrowed the darkness for themselves.

Masks of Monstrosity
    If anyone wishes to add to this list, please feel free to do so. I may add more as time goes on.

Mask of the Werewolf:
    This mask is made of course, gray fur, cured leather and white bone that gleams like moonlight. The jaw juts forward a few inches forming a brief snout. When it is worn by a creature with the humanoid type it fuses to their face. The creature sprouts course fur over their upper body and grows sharp fangs and claws. The fangs and claws may be used as natural weapons(1d4 slashing for the claws and 1d6 piercing for the bite.). Additionally, the wearer's skin hardens. The creature gains DR 2/silver and Darkvision while the mask is worn. The wearer is overcome by a furious bloodlust while in this form, taking a -2 to AC and all skill checks. Additionally, the wearer cannot sleep with the mask on and may never retreat or use the total defense action or Diplomacy skill, focusing only on offense whenever possible. This mask cannot be removed at night.

Mask of the Undead:
    This mask is made of cured leather and carefully carved wood. It appears to be a rotting face with sunken eyes and a missing lower jaw. The skin of the wearer becomes sallow and sickly, and their hair becomes ragged and frayed. The wearer is treated as an undead for the sake of all magical effects and is immune to critical hits. While worn, the mask forces the wearer to move at a shuffling stagger (half speed) and reeks of death, suffering a -3 penalty to all checks involving social interaction, with the exception of intimidate, which is performed at a +2. This mask cannot be removed except in bright light.
    "He didn't tell us that our building is an earthquake causing, apocolypse prevention machine. That definitely makes him the bad guy." ~ Peter Clines

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Daily update has been added successfully.

Current Projects:

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by erradin View Post
    Sirocco of the Last Breath...
    Very cool hazard. I'd use it on my players.

I'd call it as a Hazard with CR 3 or 4. Normally a Fortitude save implies that the creature is taking damage but none is listed. I would treat this as 1d6 points of nonlethal damage every round rather than full suffocation and I'd add the mechanics for Strong Wind so DMs don't have to look it up. (I used 3.5 rules)

"All those subject to a sirocco of the last breath are rendered unable to breathe normally, taking 1d6 points of nonlethal damage unless they make their saving throw (see below) until the storm has passed or until has a creature has found cover from the wind.

Each creature so affected may make a Constitution saving throw (DC 15)/Fortitude save (DC 17) each round on its turn to regain its breath. Any creature who regains its breath may spend two consecutive rounds aiding another (CPR), allowing that creature to automatically pass its saving throw.

The area of a sirocco of the last breath is also subject to Strong Winds that automatically extinguish unprotected flames (candles torches, and the like). Such gusts impose a -2 penalty on ranged attacks and Listen checks. Tiny and smaller creatures are Knocked Down by the wind (falling prone unless they succeed on a DC 10 Fortitude save) and if flying, are blown back 1d6x10 feet."

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Beast Heart Adept base class. For when you want to run around as a tentacled aberration with a nice slimy pile of aberration pets. Far Realms ickiness comes standard.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Added it.

Also added 2 updates for today since I forgot to post one yesterday. And fixed some things in Elder Cat.

Current Projects:

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Considering making a monster based on a tiny flower. He's your best friend.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by spikeof2010 View Post
    I'll allow it if you can invent a horrible pun to name it with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Added Meatdoll today and Living Graveyard (i.e. writer's block inducing rage-mess) yesterday.

Does it eat the girl you like and her abusive boyfriend? Or sing?

Current Projects:

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    Added Meatdoll today and Living Graveyard (i.e. writer's block inducing rage-mess) yesterday.

Does it eat the girl you like and her abusive boyfriend? Or sing?
    Not exactly. I was thinking that this particular flower showering you with Friendship Pellets.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Colossus in the Playground

I'll have to add something. Luckily, I jsut got a collection of horror/fantasy short stories.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Not exactly. I was thinking that this particular flower showering you with Friendship Pellets.
    Not sure I catch the reference, but I'll be happy to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I'll have to add something. Luckily, I jsut got a collection of horror/fantasy short stories.
    I look forward to it.

Current Projects:

19. - Top - End - #49

Debihuman- I took your advice and updated Siracco of the Last Breath- thanks!

New idea for a creepy material for weaspons/armor and items to be made of. Are new materials ok?

Material: Bonemold

This material is a compound made from bone and blood. Its reflected light cuts through the air like an angry moon, gleaming a pale, almost irridecent white. Fingers of dark red, spidering like veins, run across the surface. This necromantically engineered material is easily molded when fresh from the fires of its creation, but sets hard and strong within an hour. Properly applied transmutation and necromancy can render it moldable again, but it is otherwise strong and unyielding, melting into useless paste if heated in a forge. Items made from this substance weigh half as much as the same item forged from steel, but provide the same armor bonus and damage.

Despite functioning like steel in most respects, Bonemold is partially undead and is easier to repair than items of metal. When a piece of Bonemold is subject to negative energy damage, such as an Inflict Wounds spell, it heals just as an undead would. If some object of Bonemold, such as a wall, is targeted with such an effect which does not target an area, a 5ft square of bonemold must be specifically targeted to receive healing. Any negative energy damage left over after that square returns to full health bleeds into the adjacent square with the least amount of hp, healing it as well. Repeat using the new square to determine where extra healing goes until either the negative energy runs out, or no adjacent squares are damaged.

Objects of bonemold have a hardness of 6 and 7 hp per inch of thickness. (Per item, or per 5 ft square.)
    Last edited by erradin; 2015-10-24 at 07:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bonemold's really cool, Erradin! "The soup's just soup. Chicken and broth. Quit being paranoid. Now, the bowl, on the other hand..."

Here's something I made a little while ago. Tried to make more, but... yeah. The bigger it is, the slower it goes.

Joke O' Lantern

Minor Wondrous Item

The Joke O' Lantern appears to be a magically-treated pumpkin, decoratively carved to hold a candle or similar light source within. It is roughly 3 lbs., and projects light as the spell from within; this is because there is no mundane light source within, but rather, the whole object is built to host a series of self-sustaining projection and illusion effects.

The light cast by the Joke O' Lantern does illuminate as normal; however, any thing caught within its light is morphed by the silent image effect into an inhuman thing, like a zombie, ghost, vampire, or werebeast. Their vocalizations are also distorted, becoming vaguely-appropriate growls, squeals, laughter of all kinds, and so on. Even the environment is warped to look and sound like a more macabre or grim place: most favor the haunted mansion or mysterious forest aesthetics, but a number exist to replicate locations as diverse as dilapidated shipwrecks, ruined cities, desecrated tombs, extraterrestrial colonies, hellish nightmare worlds, and really anything else you can imagine.

A Joke O' Lantern's capacity for illusionism has its limits, though. The image quality is less than stellar, with objects in motion often seeming to interpose over each other rather than deform or impact, and light sources other than the Lantern's own washing out visual depth and coloration considerably. The sound is also prone to random shifts in pitch and volume, as though coming from much closer or further than apparent. Combined, these audio-visual gaffes grant observers DC 13 Spot and Listen checks to realize flaws in the fake environs (they receive both) at 0 initiative each turn, which if passed then grants them a DC 12 Will save to disbelieve, as though they had "studied it carefully". Anyone who is not at least shaken receives a +4 bonus to the save to disbelieve; on the flip side, anyone frightened or worse does not receive these Spot or Listen checks to disbelieve at all, as the fear in their minds pushes down any scepticism they could otherwise muster.

A Joke O' Lantern can be "turned on or off" with a swift action, by using an easily-missed pad or level on its lower backside. Joke O' Lanterns are normally set out as scenery, but can be easily affixed with a handle via indents at the sides, which allow it to be carried comfortably as a one-handed implement.

Prerequisites: CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, gentle repose, ghost sound, light, silent image, ventriloquism; Price 750 gp

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooPaladin View Post
    Joke O' Lantern
    Another good one.

Because you already write well, I'm going to go a bit more into depth on how to make it better.

1. Switch from "the" to "a" because it implies that there can be only one.
    2. Italicize magic item names and put them in lowercase.
    3. Vary your sentence length. I see a few run-on sentences that could use some polish.
    4. If this is for Pathfinder, use their standard format. One day you might want to enter their Superstar Contest and if you use their format consistently, you'll be far less likely to make formatting errors. The number of people kicking themselves for formatting errors is quite high. Also, this would be disqualified for being over the accepted word count (300 word limit). While it doesn't matter here, I strongly recommend that keeping items to fewer than 400 words is just good practice.
    5. There is no such thing as a minor wondrous item; they're just wondrous items regards of power.
    6. The spot and listen checks should be done as an immediate action (just passing by and glancing at the pumpkin should trigger this). This looks to be 3.5 rather than pathfinder but is missing the XP cost.
    7. What exactly happens if you fail to disbelieve? You see a magical pumpkin? There seems to be some mechanics that are missing. I recommend that if a creature fails its Will save it becomes Shaken and if it fails by 5 or more, it becomes Frightened. This makes it a lot easier to adjudicate. How are you defining a "casual observer"? I'd change this to anyone within 10 feet of the joke o' lantern makes Spot and Listen checks as an Immediate Action. The effects should have a time limit 1d4 round at most. Also, Pathfinder uses a singular Perception check.
    8. The average pepo pumpkin weighs between 6 and 18 lbs. 3 lbs. is just too small. Fixed weight for you.

Here is how it looks using Pathfinder rules.
    Spoiler
    Show

Joke O' Lantern
    Aura faint necromancy; CL 3rd
    Slot none; Cost 1,500; Weight 6 lbs.

DESCRIPTION

A joke o' lantern's decoratively carved pumpkin appears to hold a candle. However, the whole object is built to host a series of self-sustaining projection and illusion effects, designed to scare anyone who comes too close.

The light cast by a joke o' lantern illuminates as normal; however, anything caught within its light is morphed by the silent image effect into an inhuman thing, such as zombie, ghost, vampire, etc. Vocalizations are also distorted, becoming vaguely-appropriate growls, squeals, laughter, and so on. Even the environment is warped to look and sound like a more macabre or grim place: most favor the haunted mansion or mysterious forest aesthetics, but a number exist to replicate locations as diverse as dilapidated shipwrecks, ruined cities, desecrated tombs, extraterrestrial colonies and other, hellish nightmares.

A joke o' lantern's capacity for illusionism has its limits. The image quality is less than stellar, with objects in motion often seeming to interpose over each other rather than deform or impact. Light sources other than the lantern's own wash out visual depth and coloration considerably. The sound is also prone to random shifts in pitch and volume. The combined audio-visual gaffes have the following effects.

Anyone passing within 10 feet of the joke o lantern may make a Perception check (DC 13) as an Immediate Action to realize the flaws in the fake environs. Everyone who succeeded on this check is also granted a +4 Insight to the Will save (DC 12) to disbelieve the illusions as though he had "studied it carefully." Anyone who fails his save becomes Shaken for 1d4 rounds; anyone who fails his save by 5 or more becomes Frightened instead.

A joke o' lantern can be "turned on or off" with a swift action, by using an easily-missed pad or level on its lower backside. Joke O' Lanterns are normally set out as scenery, but can be easily affixed with a handle via indents at the sides, which allow it to be carried comfortably as a one-handed implement.

CONSTRUCTION

Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, gentle repose, ghost sound, light, silent image, ventriloquism; Price 750 gp

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2015-10-28 at 09:26 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    I'm going to go a bit more into depth on how to make it better.
    Thank you! It was meant for 3.5 rules, but I'm pretty sure I failed to meet those criteria too. The rewrite is quite informative.

Re: "what happens if you fail to disbelieve". The intention was that the images are so easy to see through that each turn anyone looking at them gets checks to just automatically disbelieve them. If you fail these checks, you just don't disbelieve the illusions any faster or easier than normal. That's way too many rolls in retrospect, so your design works better in practice.

I wish I'd thought of the idea for it to apply fear. It was supposed to be a pretty weak piece of scenery, a lantern that makes things look like a horror movie. But the fear on a failed save provides a reason why someone might pick it up and carry it around. The thought of a guy carrying a big jack-o-lantern into battle just to trick foes into wasting their immediate actions is kind of funny to me. The thought they might do so, and then fail and scare themselves in the process is even funnier.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry for vanishing for a week, was visiting gf and my desire to continue sort of wilted away entirey until it became a chore to post anything and then became one to update because I'd been silent.

I will post the brews to make up for it (it's not like I don't just need to put a few finishing touches on them) throughout the day, and I will immediately update the thread. So check the thread before leaving for your parties, and maybe when you get back too ;) If you're just watching movies nothin' wrong with that I'm starting today with The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and at some point there will be an Alien and I'll find others if I have time.

Current Projects: