New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Race/Subclass Homebrew Requests/Challenge Me

So I'm feeling uninspired but I want to homebrew. I could also use a challenge.

What classes or races from previous editions would you like to see in 5e?

I would make the class as a sublass at random (ill roll for it) or if you want to a specific class subclass you can tell me which one.

:)

(very very very slow day at work and my boss peaced out to go bowling)

Last edited by TopCheese; 2015-10-09 at 10:09 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Race/Subclass Homebrew Requests/Challenge Me

Quote Originally Posted by TopCheese View Post

I would make the class as a sublass at random (ill roll for it) or if you want to a specific class subclass you can tell me which one.

(very very very slow day at work and my boss peaced out to go bowling)
    Gnoll race and a barbarian subclass that uses more of an unholy frenzy compared to the traditional rage. :)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Races; Gnoll, Half-Giant, Githyanki

Classes; Psionic Warrior or Warblade/ martial adept; Could have three paths like warlock, going crusader, swordsage, or warblade. However, this may be redundant through means of the battlemaster path in fighter.

Weretouched master and moonspeaker would be crazy awesome as well, though those are racial prestige classes. I suppose they could be made put together into some form of racial subclass, similar to Circle of the Moon's wild shape progression. Alternatively, it could be a barbarian subclass with a wildshape-like mechanic, using totem as a base? I don't really know.

EDIT; chopped stuff down. I was asking for a lot, and I wasn't really giving anything to go on.
    Last edited by Nishant; 2015-09-30 at 01:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spacehamster View Post
    Gnoll race and a barbarian subclass that uses more of an unholy frenzy compared to the traditional rage. :)
    Sweet.

Getting to it :)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Sweet.

Getting to it :)
    Idea for the unholy rage is that it could be more offensive and maybe even slightly self destructive. :)

6. - Top - End - #6

BardGuy

Idea for the unholy rage is that it could be more offensive and maybe even slightly self destructive. :)
    The self destructive part will mostly be role play and not party friendly abilities.

I'll be making a homebrew post for this but...

Unholy Frenzy (Level 3)
    You have made a deal with a devil or demon or whomever, that part doesn't matter. What does matter is that you have gained power to destroy your enemies. At the end of a long rest you make a small sacrifice (typically a broken holy symbol of a deity or a small animal) and your contact gives you your additional power. Of you are unable to sacrifice the contact will still send power your way but a sacrifice at a later date will need to be bigger. The contact will give you your choice of element for your unholy frenzy features. If you don't make a sacrifice the contact will give you whichever one it feels like.

When you rage, as a bonus action after hitting with a weapon attack, you deal additional damage equal to (Con Modifier + 1/2 Proficiency). This additional damage is either Acid, Cold, Fire, or Lightning as determined by your contact and is magic for the purpose of overcoming resistances.

Name (Level 6)
    You may cast Detect Evil and Good 1/short rest.

Name (Level 6)
    While raging, as a reaction to being hit with a weapon, failing a saving throw, or failing an ability check, you may allow your rage to burst forth unholy energy. This energy is the same type as your Unholy Frenzy feature. Each creature within 5' takes a number of points of damage equal to your rage bonus damage.

====.)

Still working on the rest hoep this works though :).

I would like to throw more fluff into it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

The self destructive part will mostly be role play and not party friendly abilities.

I'll be making a homebrew post for this but...

Unholy Frenzy (Level 3)
    You have made a deal with a devil or demon or whomever, that part doesn't matter. What does matter is that you have gained power to destroy your enemies. At the end of a long rest you make a small sacrifice (typically a broken holy symbol of a deity or a small animal) and your contact gives you your additional power. Of you are unable to sacrifice the contact will still send power your way but a sacrifice at a later date will need to be bigger. The contact will give you your choice of element for your unholy frenzy features. If you don't make a sacrifice the contact will give you whichever one it feels like.

When you rage, as a bonus action after hitting with a weapon attack, you deal additional damage equal to (Con Modifier + 1/2 Proficiency). This additional damage is either Acid, Cold, Fire, or Lightning as determined by your contact and is magic for the purpose of overcoming resistances.

Name (Level 6)
    You may cast Detect Evil and Good 1/short rest.

Name (Level 6)
    While raging, as a reaction to being hit with a weapon, failing a saving throw, or failing an ability check, you may allow your rage to burst forth unholy energy. This energy is the same type as your Unholy Frenzy feature. Each creature within 5' takes a number of points of damage equal to your rage bonus damage.

====.)

Still working on the rest hoep this works though :).

I would like to throw more fluff into it.
    Cool, been thinking of making this subclass but never got to it, I would myself probably make the whole thing about risk for greater reward type both mechanically and fluff. When raging you can choose to loose 20% of your health and for the remaining time of the unholy frenzy you deal double your STR modifier as necrotic/fire/cold or acid damage.

The detect evil/good thing could also in addition give your pc slight demonic features(bestial eyes, hint of horns and so on).

8. - Top - End - #8

BardGuy

Cool, been thinking of making this subclass but never got to it, I would myself probably make the whole thing about risk for greater reward type both mechanically and fluff. When raging you can choose to loose 20% of your health and for the remaining time of the unholy frenzy you deal double your STR modifier as necrotic/fire/cold or acid damage.

The detect evil/good thing could also in addition give your pc slight demonic features(bestial eyes, hint of horns and so on).
    The problem with mechanical risk/reward like that is that it gets away from the simplcity ideology of 5e.

I could add in a way to expend hit dice though. That should be a simple way to do risk versus reward.

This could allow me to up some Damage or have higher level effects. Hmm..

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

The problem with mechanical risk/reward like that is that it gets away from the simplcity ideology of 5e.

I could add in a way to expend hit dice though. That should be a simple way to do risk versus reward.

This could allow me to up some Damage or have higher level effects. Hmm..
    True, like the idea of sacrificing some of your own health for greater reward tho, should be a choice that is not always right, painful but not crippling. And ofc the reward should make you powerful but not op, idea to excuse more power in addition to the hp loss could be to make it consume two rage uses.

10. - Top - End - #10

BardGuy

True, like the idea of sacrificing some of your own health for greater reward tho, should be a choice that is not always right, painful but not crippling. And ofc the reward should make you powerful but not op, idea to excuse more power in addition to the hp loss could be to make it consume two rage uses.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...7#post19892287

Edit: I'll do the Gnoll later when I have access to more Gnoll stuff (like my 3e/4e books). :)

Edit
    Quote Originally Posted by Nishant View Post
    Races; Gnoll, Half-Giant, Githyanki

Classes; Psionic Warrior or Warblade/ martial adept; Could have three paths like warlock, going crusader, swordsage, or warblade. However, this may be redundant through means of the battlemaster path in fighter.

Weretouched master and moonspeaker would be crazy awesome as well, though those are racial prestige classes. I suppose they could be made put together into some form of racial subclass, similar to Circle of the Moon's wild shape progression. Alternatively, it could be a barbarian subclass with a wildshape-like mechanic, using totem as a base? I don't really know.

EDIT; chopped stuff down. I was asking for a lot, and I wasn't really giving anything to go on.
    I'll have to do Gnoll, it is one of the few races I know little about haha. I must have missed out.
    Random note, Killoren has been one of my favorite races, they should just replace elves already.

Edit 2

Would Weretouch Master make sense as a Barbarian who, when raging, wildshapes into a specific form (lycanthropy form)?

Or perhaps a ranger with wildshape?

It was made as a racial prestige class so I don't want to go to far away from its core (in reading about it online).

Edit 3 here's what I got so far for Gnolls... I'll finish up later.

Gnoll
    Ability Score Increase: +2 Strength
    Size: Medium
    Speed: 30
    Senses: Darkvision

Weapon Familiarity: Due to their scavenger ways Gnolls are proficient with one of the following weapon groups: simple, martial, or improvised weapons.

Sweet Scent: Gnolls can survive on carrion and actually prefer it to a freshly killed creatures. Gnolls can pinpoint carrion and creatures below 1/4 HP within 45'. The Gnoll knows The difference between the two and can determine is magic is helping a creature reign death (con save versus spellcaster DC). Note: The Gnoll would still take disadvantage on attacks versus a invisible target but wouldn't need to guess their location.

Talk With Canine: Gnolls have advantage on wisdom and charisma ability checks versus canine and may use "Speak With Animals" (but only with canines) once per long rest.

Languages: Common and Gnoll

Subraces: Grassy Gnolls, Desert Gnolls, and Outcast.

Grassy Gnolls
    Ability Score Increase: +1 Dex

Quick Hunter: A grassy Gnolls base speed is 35'.

Skill Training: Grassy Gnolls are proficient with Dextery (Stealth) checks.

Desert
    Ability Score Increase: +1 Con

Gritty Life: The Desert Gnoll treats all hit dice as one size larger (if d12 then just add 1 to hit points each level).

Skill Training: Desert Gnolls are proficient with Wisdom (Survival) checks.

Outcast
    Ability Score Increase: +1 Cha

Forced to Flee: The Outcast Gnoll may use the disengage action as a bonus action once per short rest.

Skill Training: Outcast Gnolls are proficient with Charisma (Persuasion) checks.
    Last edited by TopCheese; 2015-09-30 at 07:46 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Edit 2

Would Weretouch Master make sense as a Barbarian who, when raging, wildshapes into a specific form (lycanthropy form)?

Or perhaps a ranger with wildshape?

It was made as a racial prestige class so I don't want to go to far away from its core (in reading about it online).
    Either would work really. Basically, a shifter picked a heritage(similar to a totem) of bear, boar, rat, tiger, wolf, or wolverine. each gave different traits, and at the end of the 5 level progression, you could take the hybrid or animal form of said heritage. It also gave you free shifter feats, but that would be hard to work with in 5e.

A great 3.5 handbook for Shifters was posted on these forums, and gives an overview of the prestige classes big points. I'll leave a link here; http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...Handbook-(WIP)

EDIT: Also, yeah, I like killoren too.
    Last edited by Nishant; 2015-09-30 at 09:58 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

WhiteWizardGirl

Give me an elan psion with a focus on astral constructs and fabricating mundane items with ectoplasm like Dreamscarred press psionics for Pathfinder.
    Last edited by Mara; 2015-10-02 at 12:02 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

WhiteWizardGirl

Oh. I could also use a 3.5 factotum.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

ClericGuy

Grassy Gnolls
    You have advantage on all checks made when assasinating JFK, and benefit from a nondetection spell and a +10 on stealth checks to hide for 24 hours after doing so.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    You have advantage on all checks made when assasinating JFK, and benefit from a nondetection spell and a +10 on stealth checks to hide for 24 hours after doing so.
    Grassy Gnolls, too funny. Excellent work.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Bouncing projectiles, guided magic bullets from your sling like magic missiles

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I'd like to see the Ivalice races from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance/FFTA2 (not sure if Ivalice was the setting for the original Final Fantasy Tactics, as I never had a PlayStation) ported to 5e.

18. - Top - End - #18

BardGuy

Either would work really. Basically, a shifter picked a heritage(similar to a totem) of bear, boar, rat, tiger, wolf, or wolverine. each gave different traits, and at the end of the 5 level progression, you could take the hybrid or animal form of said heritage. It also gave you free shifter feats, but that would be hard to work with in 5e.

A great 3.5 handbook for Shifters was posted on these forums, and gives an overview of the prestige classes big points. I'll leave a link here; http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...Handbook-(WIP)

EDIT: Also, yeah, I like killoren too.
    Sounds really close the totem barbarian, I'll probably just expand on the totem barbarian and make additional options, when taken they will alter your actual form a bit. Probabaly take inspiration from shifter feats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Give me an elan psion with a focus on astral constructs and fabricating mundane items with ectoplasm like Dreamscarred press psionics for Pathfinder.
    This is pretty much already a thing with arcane magic. Just change the fluff and you can have this character via wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Oh. I could also use a 3.5 factotum.
    I feel Rogue archetype based off the battle master or bard could do this.

Quote Originally Posted by djreynolds View Post
    Bouncing projectiles, guided magic bullets from your sling like magic missiles
    I was tempted to make a racial feature like this but didn't want them to be archery focused so much. Like, really really tempted.

I settled for making the Desert Gnoll's racial feature be called "Gritty Life".

Quote Originally Posted by Arc-Royal View Post
    I'd like to see the Ivalice races from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance/FFTA2 (not sure if Ivalice was the setting for the original Final Fantasy Tactics, as I never had a PlayStation) ported to 5e.
    Same place just different eras.

Bangaa is the only race that is distinct enough from the core races that will be worth doing.

Vera = Wood elf
    Hume = Human
    Moogle = Gnome

Bangaa are distinct since they use their sense of smell and don't always use their eyes.

**** (not a curse word, was using this to break up post haha)

I need to organize some stuff but thanks for the ideas :)
    Last edited by TopCheese; 2015-10-02 at 05:08 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I would love to see the 3.5 Psion, particularly the psychic, home brewed for 5e. I have been playing the Mystic from Unearthed Arcana and have been trying to home brew some additions so that I have more options to chose from and also can level up to higher levels than level 5. I've expanded the chart to level 20 here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnDHomebrew..._past_level_5/

Do you want to homebrew some additional class features and disciplines to get the feel of the 3.5 Psychic Psion back into 5e?

20. - Top - End - #20

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by YCombinator View Post
    I would love to see the 3.5 Psion, particularly the psychic, home brewed for 5e. I have been playing the Mystic from Unearthed Arcana and have been trying to home brew some additions so that I have more options to chose from and also can level up to higher levels than level 5. I've expanded the chart to level 20 here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnDHomebrew..._past_level_5/

Do you want to homebrew some additional class features and disciplines to get the feel of the 3.5 Psychic Psion back into 5e?
    The Psion is tricky, it is so diverse and broad that I don't think it should be its own class.

Much like the wizard I think it should broken down into specific classes (think 3e Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, and War Mage).

If I was to do psionics I would make them subclasses of existing classes or make my own base class for each couple dicipline.

I hate how specific some classes are and how broad others can be. Even if you pick evocation you can still be a great conjurer, necromancer, or whatever else.

21. - Top - End - #21

BardGuy

So this might be a bit of an oddball but here's a challenge! Make a "maestro" bard subclass. Bonus points if you maestro floating magical instruments.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Races: dream dwarf, stone child, minotaur, warforged

Classes: artificer, duskblade, eldritch disciple

23. - Top - End - #23

Imp

A 5e factotum would be cool.

24. - Top - End - #24

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pyon View Post
    So this might be a bit of an oddball but here's a challenge! Make a "maestro" bard subclass. Bonus points if you maestro floating magical instruments.
    Sounds fun, and going on the list :)

Probably will work this like the 4e shaman familiar (the mechanics not the fluff) where they can determine LoS/LoE from their conjuration. Might use the HP system too.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkzekkai View Post
    Races: dream dwarf, stone child, minotaur, warforged

Classes: artificer, duskblade, eldritch disciple
    Artificer, Warforged, and Minotaur are already (mostly) made. Check out the UA articles.

I think I'll go with duskblade and make it a monk, sorcerer, or Rogue subclass. There is so many ways to do this.

Or make it an archetype for a Swordmage class (subclasses Duskblade).

Quote Originally Posted by Belac93 View Post
    A 5e factotum would be cool.
    It would be, I've never played one so I might not be the best to make it but I'll look into it (another person above asked for it too) and see what I can do.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Sounds really close the totem barbarian, I'll probably just expand on the totem barbarian and make additional options, when taken they will alter your actual form a bit. Probabaly take inspiration from shifter feats.
    Yeah, that could work. As a side note, Although it shifts a bit of the flavor, killoren aspects would fit nicely into subraces, wouldn't they?

26. - Top - End - #26

BardGuy

Yeah, that could work. As a side note, Although it shifts a bit of the flavor, killoren aspects would fit nicely into subraces, wouldn't they?
    I think that shifts it too much.

I would just make the main race and the give then a feature and possibly ability score boost based on an aspect choice. The ability score boost would disseapear unless you chose the same aspect again.

Would make them very unique. Just off the top of my head...

Ancient
    +1 Int
    You have expertise whenever you make intelligence checks to recall information or lore. This doesn't stack with other forms of expertise.

Destroyer
    +1 Str
    Your attacks ignore resistances to non-magical weapons.

Hunter
    +1 Wis
    Once per short or long rest you may use an action or bonus action to sense nearby enemies. When you use this ability as an action you learn the number of creatures within a mile of you of a certain type. If you use this feature as a bonus action the range is limited to 30'. This feature doesn't tell where they are at, just that they are present
    Last edited by TopCheese; 2015-10-03 at 06:42 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Make the Elemental Monk Not suck, and maybe add lightning to the mix

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

aegis. dread. vitalist.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unl.../classes/aegis

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unl.../classes/dread

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unl...asses/vitalist

though i'm not sure there's enough room in 5e subclasses to make these characters, unfortunately :(

(well, maybe for vitalist... each subclass getting a completely different set of disciplines might help if you do keep it based on the mystic preview).

29. - Top - End - #29

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BladeWing81 View Post
    Make the Elemental Monk Not suck, and maybe add lightning to the mix
    This was already done, well at least making the Elemental Monk awesome. There was a crowdsourcing effort here... I'll look for it and edit this post if I find it.

Edit: Here is the crowdsource thread

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?412907-Crowdsourced-Fix-of-Way-of-the-Four-Elements-Monk-Subclass

Quote Originally Posted by SharkForce View Post
    aegis. dread. vitalist.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unl.../classes/aegis

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unl.../classes/dread

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unl...asses/vitalist

though i'm not sure there's enough room in 5e subclasses to make these characters, unfortunately :(

(well, maybe for vitalist... each subclass getting a completely different set of disciplines might help if you do keep it based on the mystic preview).
    I'm looking into make a Psionic main class and then having some subclasses, I'll keep these classes in mind.

I absolutely love psionics and my biggest fear is screwing them up too much haha. I think 4e, mechanically at least, is the best way of doing it (which the one they put out kinda works that way...).
    Last edited by TopCheese; 2015-10-05 at 12:44 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

This was already done, well at least making the Elemental Monk awesome. There was a crowdsourcing effort here... I'll look for it and edit this post if I find it.

Edit: Here is the crowdsource thread

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Monk-Subclass
    These two are awesome!!.... now make them official for the adventure league.
    (laughing histerically then sobbing in the fethal position):'-(