New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Alacritous Cogitation -> Ultimate Magus?

Would the Alacritous Cogitation feat allow a Wizard to fulfill the "able to spontaneously cast 1st-level arcane spells" requirement for the Ultimate Magus PrC? If so, would it be worth it to take levels in Ultimate Magus?

Technically, you'd increase your casting level with Wizard even on the levels that state "+1 level of lower-level existing arcane casting class" because Wizard, being your only arcane casting class, is your lowest.

Essentially, it would be like continuing your levels in Wizard (Including occasional bonus feats), but increasing your effective casting level +4 by 10th level in Ultimate Magus (due to Arcane Spellpower). You wouldn't really receive any benefit from Expanded Spell Knowledge, unless, of course, you are able to convince your DM to just let you add an additional spell to your spellbook on those levels. Augmented Casting really wouldn't be useful at all.

Impossible? Viable? Worthwhile?
    Last edited by lotofsnow; 2007-05-20 at 10:13 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Alacritous Cogitation -> Ultimate Magus?

Technically legal, but falls under the heading of:

"DM hits you with a big sourcebook on the head, then burns the character sheet"

Alternately, as specific interpertations are DM call, the DM addes the "lower level" segments to your Sorcerer level of "-", which means you lose Wizard caster levels.

At least you're not trying to say you get 17 levels of spell progression over the course of a 10 level PrC (which some muchkins might claim).

It technically also works the other way with Arcane Preparation.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2007-05-20 at 10:24 AM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

It works. But you do only get the +1 to CL. And it is better than regular straight wizard, but their are other PrC's out their that are a better investment for most builds.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    It technically also works the other way with Arcane Preparation.
    Actually, no. Unlike Mage of the Arcane Order, Ultimate Magus specifies that the preparation must be from a spellbook.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Actually, no. Unlike Mage of the Arcane Order, Ultimate Magus specifies that the preparation must be from a spellbook.
    Ah, good point.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I understand you could do that, yes, but I don't see why you shouldn't just go Practiced Spellcaster. You'll receive much more benefit from the prestige class that way.

Jack_Smith:
    How is claiming the prestige class gives you 17 caster level progression being a "munchkin"? From what I understand, the argument for it is perfectly RAW. And this is, after all, a RAW issue (since we're discussing the meaning of the rules, not whether it's fine to use them as written).
    "There is no quote"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Personally, my gut tells me it's cheating and not supposed to work like that.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IonizedChicken View Post
    Jack_Smith:
    How is claiming the prestige class gives you 17 caster level progression being a "munchkin"? From what I understand, the argument for it is perfectly RAW. And this is, after all, a RAW issue (since we're discussing the meaning of the rules, not whether it's fine to use them as written).
    My understanding of Munkinism is that it's doing things to break the power curve in the munchkin's favor - infinite stat boost loops, hiring castings of Wall of Iron to use the iron produced as a trade good, Infinite Wish Loops, and so on.

If you bring about a way that, at level 10, you have spell slots as a Wizard-13 with the caster level of a Wizard-15, you're well ahead of the power curve. When at level 15 you're casting as a Wizard-22 with a caster level of a Wizard-26, you're definately into muchkin territory - technically valid or not.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yes, but there's a difference between saying something is possible and actually doing it. Claiming that a prestige class does something broken is not munchkinism, it's simple observation. You're only a munchkin if you actually use the exploit.

I mean, I can point out that shivering touch can one-shot most dragons. I'm not a munchkin unless I actually use it.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Indeed. As Jack Mann said, there is a difference between saying X does Y and actually doing Y according to X.

While I believe the the prestige class would grant you Wiz-22 casting at 15th level, I would not allow a player to create a character that exploits the rules this way (nor would I make it myself). In fact, I would probably disallow the feat altogether.

Similarly, I believe the Manipulate Form ability works as written. I just wouldn't allow it to be used.
    "There is no quote"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

No feat woudl allow you to get 22 casting levels. No Prestige class would either.

The only way to do it is with the Alternate Class Feature in Complete Champion.

Wizard isn't your spontaneous casting class if you get spontaneous casting through a feat.

The only RAW legal way to cast as a level 22 wizard at level 15 is with the CC alternate class feature. Nothing else published works.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    The only RAW legal way to cast as a level 22 wizard at level 15 is with the CC alternate class feature. Nothing else published works.
    The fact that there is a RAW legal way to pull that crap at all makes me sad. Seriously, the folks over at WotC need to playtest their stuff better.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan_Scott82 View Post
    ...From an in character perspective, being one who knows they're about to face emminant demise, it makes every bit of sense to pursue the course of greatest power...To not try to make your character as effective as possible within the confines of the rules and the characters background, and surrounding environment is to be decidely out of character.

Credit to Ceika for the awesome avatar (which happens to be Norril, my Nomad).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Wind View Post
    The fact that there is a RAW legal way to pull that crap at all makes me sad. Seriously, the folks over at WotC need to playtest their stuff better.
    Actually, they only need to fact check it better. Playtesting would reveal how bad the break is, but fact checking would show that their is a break in the first place.
    Last edited by MeklorIlavator; 2007-05-20 at 06:49 PM.